Midwest Trolls...

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Midwest Trolls...

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

2011 "deathstorm," as some have called it, is in full effect here. I guess I'm supposed to post a bunch of shit about how crazy windy, snowy, and icy it is outside. Except I grew up with the constant Lake Effect shit, so this stuff was basically every other week for me, give or take wind/snow/ice levels.

Basically what I'm saying is...

~yawn~
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

War Wagon wrote:Good luck getting to KCI in your Tundra then.

Fill up with gas before and leave early, take it slow. The last thing I need to see is another cross near I-435 and N. Woodland right before the Super Bowl.

Wear your fucking seatbelt.
"Okay, mom."

Sin,
KC Scott
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote: "Okay, mom."
"Okay, Dad"

I'd done a FTFY, but that's quite annoying.

Seriously, after a storm like this they get the roads clear and you think you can drive like normal, especially when you're invincible like Scott in his Tundra or Derrick Thomas in an Escalade... or me in a Jeep Cherokee Laredo when I hit that black patch of ice.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

...although I gotta say, a thunder/lightning/snow combo is quite a rarity for me.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

We had thundersnow in The Gump back in '93.

Freaky shit.

The thunder was more of a mutter than a rolling boom.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:

Typical winter day on the Oregon coast.

Not true.

To say that's "typical" would be a disservice.

It only does that for a day or two every week or two.

I've worked on the Coast on days like that. Kinda sucks. "Typical" workday like that involves looking at coworkers and saying "wow, we should really get the fuck out of here before everything floods and slides cover the coastal passes."

And I might even have worked on a building right up the road from that vid, maybe -- hard to say with the high water and heavy rain obscuring the background and whatnot.

3 years ago, they had the Mother. A friend is a commercial/charter salmon fisherman who lives in a trailer next to the moorage, just inside the jaws of Tillamook Bay. I talked to the Coast Guard guys next door to the trailer park (that good Coastal Living), and they said the first big gust of the storm had their anemometer up to 140 knots (I think that's about 160mph) or so before the tower on Cape Mears blew over. Fishing homeboy said that first big blast (his trailer is perpendicular to the incoming wind) was a real hoot -- then he said the wind calmed down to 100-120... for the next 36 hours. I'll give redneck credit, though -- been there, done that -- just packs up all his shit, puts it on the floor of the trailer, fills all of the holding tanks, and park his car up tight on the lee, and turns on some tunes. Said FEMA was nice enough to set up a trailer at the end of the street, and he didn't have to even cook for a couple of days... sweet.

Hurricanes, shmurricanes... or something.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Shit weather commuting rule #1- Do not rely on weather pussy transplant for ride to work.

Mike, one of my coworkers and a recent transplant from our El Dorado Hills, upper mexico facility calls me this morning at about 4:30.

WPT: Dude, it's shitty out there. I'm gonna wait till the sun comes up and see what it's like.

me: Uhhh, it'll be about like it is now, but a little brighter.....and icier.

WPT: Yeah, prolly. I'll call you in a few hours.

me: all right.

few hours later......

WPT: so what do you think?

me: I think you are a fukking weather pussy. Next time it's gonna be crappy, gimme the keys to that fukking range rover the day before and i'll pick you up.

So, here I sit at home missing out on a few hours of OT because WPT is ascared of a little wintry mix slop. If his ride was something other than one of the most capable shit weather vehicles on the planet, I wouldn't be bothered.

If I had a fukking RR in the drive I would pray to the baby heysus, mohammed, buddha and the spaghetti monster for shit weather. Actually, it wouldn't really be praying. More like a triple dog dare to bring the worstest blizzard evah.

Fukk you WPs. Next time I'll just plan on getting to work in either of my fwd rigs just as I have done for the last 30 years or so.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

One of my son's high school classmates who goes to school at New Mexico called him last night and was laughing because his classes were cancelled today. Why? They had 1 1/2 inches of snow. :lol:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

An inch and a half of snow can be pretty brutal in hilly areas with absolutely no equipment to combat it. in cases like that where it will be 50 degrees and the snow will be a few puddles the next day, barrening the hatches is a good call.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:...although I gotta say, a thunder/lightning/snow combo is quite a rarity for me.
We haven't had that here this time, but I saw that back in October 2006. In fact, I drove home in it. It really freaked me out.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

smackaholic wrote:An inch and a half of snow can be pretty brutal in hilly areas with absolutely no equipment to combat it. in cases like that where it will be 50 degrees and the snow will be a few puddles the next day, barrening the hatches is a good call.
Yeah, those 3" drifts can be a bitch. :roll:
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

War Wagon wrote:Seriously, after a storm like this they get the roads clear and you think you can drive like normal, especially when you're invincible like Scott in his Tundra or Derrick Thomas in an Escalade... or me in a Jeep Cherokee Laredo when I hit that black patch of ice.
I'd be concerned too that he has a Tundra....POS probably won't even start in this weather. Get back to us in 4-5 years when the body is rusting all over the place. Now the F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Scott used to have would ACE this deep shit, no problem.

Just sayin'. :wink:
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Noon tee time tomorrow.
Go Bucs, Gators
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:thunder/lightning/snow
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bucmonkey wrote:Noon tee time tomorrow.
High of 55 today here in Washington. Rack us!
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Thanks for that bit of information, Buc.....you asshole.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote:One of my son's high school classmates who goes to school at New Mexico called him last night and was laughing because his classes were cancelled today. Why? They had 1 1/2 inches of snow. :lol:
Daughter in eastern New Mexico lost power last night. I told her to get to a friends house. It was 4 degrees there with wind chills minus 20. That may be normal for here, but it's a catastrophe for areas that aren't used to or prepared for it.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Had some ice on my car this morning. The thermometer next to the front door said 36. I almost stayed home.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I had a foot tall snow drift blocking my front door this morning, that was my first clue I should stay home from work today which is exactly what I'm doing. I doubt I could even get my car out the driveway if I wanted to, and I don't want to.

I suppose I'll go out later and dig out... like when it warms up to 8. :(
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Well, the drags appear passable this morning, but it looks like it'll be May before a plow truck finds our cul-de-sac. Neighbor and I have spent the morning digging paths out of our drives to reach the street's furrows, but 10" of high center will still make "getting out" in my rice-burning Honda Cliché a crap-shoot .

Fool's venture regardless; once the plows DO make our block, our handy li'l driveway escapes will be buried under three feet of chopped ice - and we'll get to do it all over again.

Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks....
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Mikey wrote:Had some ice on my car this morning. The thermometer next to the front door said 36. I almost stayed home.
Mid 60's for a couple more days then mid 70's. I have 6600 yards in store for me on saturday and will still have time to go poolside. I'll keep you guys updated.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Truman wrote:Well, the drags appear passable this morning, but it looks like it'll be May before a plow truck finds our cul-de-sac.
I live on a street with no outlet. In 25 years, there has been one time a city owned truck plowed this stretch of asphalt. Last year all the neighbors pitched in and we hired some guy to plow the road. 3 days later, we had an even bigger snowstorm.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

DallasFanatic wrote:
Mikey wrote:Had some ice on my car this morning. The thermometer next to the front door said 36. I almost stayed home.
Mid 60's for a couple more days then mid 70's. I have 6600 yards in store for me on saturday and will still have time to go poolside. I'll keep you guys updated.
Should be mid-60's here today too by early afternoon. I hear the wind is supposed to be howing up there today.

I'll be in RC tomorrow setting up a bunch of dataloggers at an M&V project.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

It's about 40 here. I'm not going out until it warms up to 60.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

War Wagon wrote:I suppose I'll go out later and dig out... like when it warms up to 8. :(

^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Actually, it ain't all that bad out if you keep your hat on and your back to the North. Twenty minutes on that shovel will have you warmed up in no time!
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

one of my redneck neighbors just plowed the road with a frontloading Bobcat. Rack him... and me for not going out and shoveling earlier, else I'd a been pissed at having to shovel twice.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The snow drifts here have cars completely buried. I'll get some pics if I can.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Anybody who lives in the snow but doesn't use it to ski or snoboard or the like every day is a fucking idiot. Who the fuck are you people? Jeeze!
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

KC Scott wrote: 1. Cost of living - incredibly inexpensive compared to either coast
So you are too stupid to make it when the competition increases?
2. Reasonable tax structure - Missouri ranked 45 of 50
Again if you are making enough $ who really cares if the State takes a little more off the top?
3. It's not crowded - Kansas City has the most highway miles of any city per capita in the USA
SLO county=3,600 sq mile and a population of 250,000.
4. Central location - from a travel standpoint I fly direct to the top 10 major cities in 3 hours or less
How long does it take to get to Hawaii? I can drive to Vegas in 6. The beach is 10 min away. Mountains 2hrs. Best lake in North American is a one hr drive. Fly to LA in 30 min drive it in under 3 hrs.
5. Education - our school district has been annually ranked top 10 in state (and 4 state football championships)
Good education provided by a State that has no incentive to teach you anything but how to be a drone. I'll pass.
6. Amenities - Lake of the Ozarks 3 hours away and 5 local lakes less than 40 minutes drive
See above.
7. Pro Sports - yea the Royals suck and the Chiefs are just now getting their act together
Lakers, Sharks, Angles, A's, Giants, Raiders, 49ers, Warriors, Ducks, Kings and Dodgers all 3-4 hrs drive. NBA Kings and Bolts add two more hrs.
Congrats on being able to drive to the Paciffic and look at the water Left coasters.
And props on that year round sunshine too.....
So you admit you live in a suckhole. Why all the protesting above then?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Moving Sale wrote:Anybody who lives in the snow but doesn't use it to ski or snoboard or the like every day is a fucking idiot. Who the fuck are you people? Jeeze!
wytches, if there is not a pic of TiVO snowboarding down a 3 ft tall snowbank inside of 10 minutes, i'm gonna be dissapointed.

thanks for the softball, shortstuff.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Thing about the Midwest is the seasons. While most of you kinda/sorta get spring, summer, winter, and fall, we get the real deal for every season. The stereotype is it sucks up here because there's snow a few months out of the year. But the other seasons are pretty kick ass. It's like living in a different part of the country every 3 months.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
High of 55 today here in Washington. Rack us!
Should get pretty close to that today -- supposed to be mid-50's by the weekend. Hasn't rained in a few days, weatherdork says there might be some showers friday, then little else, just mid-50's.

Winter showed up a couple of weeks early, looks like it might be leaving a couple of weeks early.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Thing about the Midwest is the seasons. While most of you kinda/sorta get spring, summer, winter, and fall, we get the real deal for every season. The stereotype is it sucks up here because there's snow a few months out of the year. But the other seasons are pretty kick ass. It's like living in a different part of the country every 3 months.
so, let's see if i get this right.

you fukkers get winter and summer....on steroids, due to the fact you aren't near an ocean and it's a good thing?

whatever you say, sparky.

here in the U&R we get pretty much the same, just not quite to the same extremes thanks to being near an ocean, even though the atlantic aka bad ocean has nowhere near the tempering effect the pacific does for left coasters. it's actually not a case of good/bad ocean, more a case of being on the wrong side of it. left coasters get prevailing winds off theirs, our prevailing winds kind of skim along it and pick up a little snow to dump on us.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

you fukkers get winter and summer....on steroids, due to the fact you aren't near an ocean and it's a good thing?
No, that's not what I'm saying. But if I need your hyperbole to make a point I'll let you know.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

KC Scott wrote: Uhhh......... that doesn't make any sense.

How exactly does competition enter into the equation when I can live anywhere I choose?
Unless of courese you didn't comprehend the part about me working for two companies that allowed me to live anywhere I want
So you make enough money to live on the coast and yet you don't so you can save money which you then spend to fly to the coast in 3 hrs? And I'M not making any sense?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Have you ever heard the adage, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there," Counselor?

Kinda cuts both ways....
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Moving Sale wrote:So you make enough money to live on the coast and yet you don't so you can save money which you then spend to fly to the coast in 3 hrs?
Jesus, you are one unintelligible fuck. You actually charge people for this kind of intelligence?
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:So you make enough money to live on the coast and yet you don't so you can save money which you then spend to fly to the coast in 3 hrs?
Jesus, you are one unintelligible fuck. You actually charge people for this kind of intelligence?
The state of California is bankrupt from housing TVO's clients but, yeah, he got paid.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Truman wrote:Have you ever heard the adage, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there," Counselor?

Kinda cuts both ways....
Why wouldn't you want to live here?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
You can't read a simple English sentence and you have the nerve to bang on me about what I charge for my services?

Mace,
I do mostly post conviction work so I SAVE the State money by getting people out of prison. So except for having it totally backwards it was a pretty good post.