Coaches poll is out

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Coaches poll is out

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Home dogs in the 1-3 point range covered the spread 75% of the time last year. If JON's spread prediction comes to fruition, and people are smart, they'll all be betting large on Michigan.
UM won't be a dog in that game, i don't think.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't think so either, but was responding to this:
TheJON wrote:I bet Utah is a 2 point favorite.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Jonsense, i'll give you Utah and the 6?? small bet, say $20.
I don't bet on sports. But I will say straight up......Michigan is going to lose this game. Like I said, Utah has everything going in their favor in this game.

I still think once the big money comes in this will be closer to a pick 'em than a 6 point spread. I bet if you asked a top handicapper who they'd take straight up they'd go with Utah. Michigan's only going to be favored because the oddsmakers know what tards many gamblers are. They'll see a big-time program like Michigan only being a small favorite over a mid-major and they'll throw down cash on Michigan thinking it's some sort of guarantee they'll pound a mid-major into the ground. But the smart gamblers are going to take Utah......guarantee it.

Like I said, I don't bet on sports (except for a Pick 6 league I'm in every year), but I think the best bet would just be to take Utah straight up if the spread closes at 4-7 points. First off, they're gonna win game barring a complete and utter meltdown. So what would be the moneyline on that? +240 or something like that?? I think you'd get more value with that bet than betting against the spread even though you'd get a few points.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Personally, I think you're smoking some pretty solid dope with that take. But I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

ill give you +280 on Utah straight up

so $20 gets you $56 bet?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't know, i see Jon's logic to a degree. as someone who lives in MWC territory (and the MWC is a decent conference not to be trifled in their good years)....i'm not sure i see it and i think Utah is the kind of team that the DickRod transition suits more than some other non-BCS conference favorite coming to visit.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

ill give you +280 on Utah straight up

so $20 gets you $56 bet?

How's about I bet you 20 theoretical dollars? Shall we shake on it......uhh, theoretically, I mean??

You're going to owe me 56 theoretical dollars come August 30 and you better pay up.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

TheJON wrote:What do you guys think the spread for the Utah-Michigan game will be? I bet Utah is a 2 point favorite. Maybe I'm wrong. Not that it matters. Utah is going to win by 2 touchdowns. The Utes have everything going for them in this game and as long as they don't wet their pants playing in the Big House it should be a relatively easy victory for them.

Not only do they have more experience, but they're going to be spending a good chunk of their offseason preparing for Michigan and they'll be fired up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan get completely ambushed in this one. And even though I typically don't expect teams to jump out of the gates firing in the season opener, this could be one of those games where a team jumps out to a 2 touchdown lead early and then coasts to victory.
the intangibles you listed here are probably in michigan's favor. they're not going to be "ambushed" in any way or form after last year. they might lose, yeah, but they're going to be just as fired up and prepared for this game as utah is, if not more to guard against the humiliation they dealt with after app state. plus, it helps a team's focus when your coach makes practice mandatory rather than letting scott boren go home for family holidays a la carr.

and i wouldn't disregard michigan's defense. they have a very good unit returning and should dominate most of the offenses they face. the only question is the linebacking corps.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Utah plays at Michigan this season, and JON is saying Utah will be favored by 6? He thinks Utah will win the game?
Umm.....I never said that. I said the line will be closer to a pick 'em than the current 4-7 point spread once the big money comes in.
3. Michigan is a top-tier team.
No they're not. They're a top-tier PROGRAM. There's a difference.
I'm quick to admit that I hardly know a damn thing about either team
6. Michigan will not lose to Utah this year.
I won't even bother with this one, you made it too easy.

Utah 28
Michigan 13
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Jsc has won awards for his work as an attorney.

Jsc just got worked by TheJON.

And I need to take up law in the state of Louisiana.
Patrick Bateman
Jake

Post by Patrick Bateman »

Alright, time to map out the rest of the month…

Aug. 12th – Meet Evelyn at the art museum to discuss further dinner plans
Aug. 15th – Perform one thousand stomach crunches before going to work while also wearing an ice pack so my face doesn’t get puffy
Aug. 17th – Exchange nail gun at hardware store; not firing properly
Aug. 22nd – Attempt to break it off with Evelyn (we’ve lost touch)
Aug. 23rd – Procure new Genesis album, Abacab
Aug. 29th – Strangle Evelyn with a clothes hanger
Aug. 29th – Kill that dickhead Marcus Halberstram with an axe to the face
Aug. 29th – Return some videotapes, maybe kill some more people
TheJON wrote:I will say straight up......Michigan is going to lose this game. Like I said, Utah has everything going in their favor in this game.
Aug. 30th - Almost forgot... Go to Atlantic City and bet my inheritance on Michigan.
Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Aug. 30th - Almost forgot... Go to Atlantic City and bet my inheritance on Michigan.
Let me know which bookie you go through so I can call him beforehand and tell them I referred him to you that way I'll get some commission on your loss.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Don't forget to squeeze in a showing of Oh Africa, Brave Africa. It was...a laugh riot.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

stuckinia wrote:#15 is exceptional considering the Hokie receiving corp consists of a couple rookies, a drunk, and some overweight QBs.

VT's o-line should be quality and Foster will always have the D ready no matter how many starters he has to replace. But the rest of the O looks suspect. I'd definitely say top25, Beamer specializes with winning via D and ST's, but top 15 is pushing it after losing a couple offensive starters during spring and summer.

I'd say out of the five opponents in the preseason top15 Neb has VT gives us the best chance of pulling an upset. Helps that we'll have a bi-week before while VT will be visiting a NC-team that could give them problems.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
i believe there is a $2 minimum at the Sportbook.