Hey Hap, election time must be close at hand

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Hap.. you ready to admit you were wrong about "Strippergate" ?
Hapday wrote:
Otis wrote: You sure about that? Let's see your proof that they are tied to the mafia.[
Why did Sgro get fired eeeeeeerrrrrr resign? If you have read anything about 'Stripper Gate' you have all your answers.
Sgro, who has been hounded in the Commons by opposition MPs' accusations of ethics breaches, received a standing ovation by Liberal MPs after she delivered her statement. Dozens of them later lined up with the Prime Minister to offer her hugs and congratulations. Some Conservative MPs, led by public accounts committee chair John Williams, also stood to applaud and later wished her well.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Birds of a feather...
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

I'm sorry, but this one is just too funny to ignore:

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper turned up the heat another notch yesterday on an already-nasty pre-election campaign when he accused Paul Martin of waiting to hold a no-confidence vote until two of his cancer-stricken MPs become too sick to participate. :lol:
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Otis wrote:Hap.. you ready to admit you were wrong about "Strippergate" ?
Hapday wrote:
Otis wrote: You sure about that? Let's see your proof that they are tied to the mafia.[
Why did Sgro get fired eeeeeeerrrrrr resign? If you have read anything about 'Stripper Gate' you have all your answers.
Sgro, who has been hounded in the Commons by opposition MPs' accusations of ethics breaches, received a standing ovation by Liberal MPs after she delivered her statement. Dozens of them later lined up with the Prime Minister to offer her hugs and congratulations. Some Conservative MPs, led by public accounts committee chair John Williams, also stood to applaud and later wished her well.

Actually, as usual the Liberals corruption shines through.
But if Sgro can breathe easier today, Shapiro had better not. The ethics commissioner has badly bungled his first serious case. Even today, six months after Opposition attacks started and Sgro asked for a ruling, the full report isn't ready. The latest excuse is last-minute legal concerns. Before that, it was the complexity of the case. The result is a process that has dragged on so long it is unfair to Sgro (and would be to anyone who has to put her life and career on hold while a stuttering new bureaucracy locates the paper clips.) Without the qualified exoneration offered in Shapiro's letter, Sgro would have plunged into the imminent campaign under a dark and undeserved cloud.

In the words of the even-handed Ed Broadbent, who sits on the Commons ethics committee, "the office of the commissioner is a mess." The NDP member from Ottawa Centre still can't believe that Shapiro engaged a law firm with strong Liberal ties to help investigate the Sgro case. That firm, Borden Ladner Gervais, employs, among others, David Scott, who is Jean Chretien's favourite defender. It has donated some $165,000 to the Liberals (twice what it gave the Conservatives) and $25,000 to Paul Martin.
Nobody is surprised over this one.
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

When it comes to buying votes to stay in power, Mr. Dithers spares no taxpayer expense. David Kilgour sure doesn't come cheap! Then again, he is an ex-Liberal........

PM pledges $170 million aid package to Darfur
CTV.ca News Staff

Canadian military personnel and equipment are headed to the war-torn Darfur region of Sudan, as part of a $170-million military and humanitarian assistance package announced today.

"Canada may not be able to single-handedly bring an end to the fighting and bring peace to Darfur, but Canada can do a great deal," Prime Minister Paul Martin told reporters Thursday.

In order to provide lasting peace, Martin continued, the African Union must play the leading role -- leaving Canada, therefore, to provide the equipment and training they need to do so effectively.

As part of his government's two-year, $170-million pledge, the prime minister said Canada will provide airlift capabilities, humanitarian aid and diplomatic support.

Up to 100 military personnel will also be dispatched to train local forces, he said.

At a press conference convened less than an hour before Martin made his announcement, Independent MP David Kilgour praised the government's "substantial" pledge of humanitarian aid.

But he balked at the prospect it would have much impact in Sudan.

"I don't see how that will stop the mass murder and the mass rape," he told reporters. "Without increasing security in the area, the effectiveness of the humanitarian aid is severely limited."

Specifically, Kilgour said he was disappointed by the size of Ottawa's troop commitment.

"They are going to do not very much in stopping genocide in an area the size of France," he said.

Announcement Timing

The timing of the aid package announcement, coming just one week before the Liberal minority faces a test of confidence in the Parliament, has fuelled speculation it is as much about domestic politics as international crises.

In his comments to reporters Thursday afternoon, Martin insisted his interest in Sudan is genuine, and long-term.

"Let there be no doubt about this, our purpose is peace and stability," he said, adding that this is "by no means the last stage" in Canada's work there.

Kilgour, who left the Liberal benches to sit as an Independent last month, has tied Canadian "boots on the ground" in Darfur with his support of Martin's minority government.

In his comments Thursday, Kilgour said he puts a higher priority on the lives of people in Sudan than he does on the government's political survival.

"Regardless of what happens here in Ottawa over the next few months, the murders and the rapes will continue in Darfur," he said.

"We cannot allow domestic Canadian politics to prevent this country putting an end to the worst genocide that has occurred since Rwanda."

Faced with the prospect of a non-confidence vote on its budget next Thursday, the Liberal minority needs the support of all three Independent MPs if its hopes to survive.

Kilgour has said he would like to see Canada's commitment more in the range of 500 troops, no matter who is in government.

"I demand that Canada, under any party, take the lead on this issue," he said, "and make a substantial further commitment on the form of troops, equipment and humanitarian aid."

The 53-member African Union has pledged to expand its mission in Darfur from 3,300 to approximately 7,800 troops, police and observers in the coming months.

Since fighting between pro-government Arab militias and Darfur's rebel groups began two years ago, more than 300,000 people have died and another two million have been forced from their homes.

In January, a North-South peace deal was signed ending a separate, 21-year-old civil conflict that killed more than two million people in Sudan.

Canada committed up to 31 soldiers to the UN mission charged with monitoring that ceasefire.

With files from The Canadian Press
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Hold off on that cheque Mr. Dithers. Ex-gLiberals don't come that cheap!
Kilgour criticizes Liberals' Sudan package

By ALLISON DUNFIELD

Thursday, May 12, 2005 Updated at 1:46 PM EDT

Globe and Mail Update

Independent MP David Kilgour was harshly critical Thursday of a $170-million Liberal aid package and additional troops for Sudan — a move widely seen as an attempt to win him over before a confidence vote.

Prime Minister Paul Martin announced Thursday morning that Canda would provide the funding over two years for peacekeeping efforts in the war-torn region.

"To get the job done, the African Union needs more training, it needs better equipment for its troops. Canada will answer the call," Mr. Martin said Thursday.

Mr. Martin also announced an initial 100 troops for the region but said that number could be increased. "The Canadian Forces' military experts who will operate in a technical and strategic support role to the African Union, and some will also participate in the UN mission in southern Sudan because both areas are essential to peace and progress in the region. All of this is with a single view, and that is to protecting innocent civilians, families, most of whom are refugees," the Prime Minister said.

But Mr. Kilgour indicated earlier in the day that he may not be happy enough with what the government is offering to vote along with the Liberals.

The Liberals need the support of all three independents in a confidence vote, including Mr. Kilgour.
With such an unstable minority, the Liberals need the three independents, all the NDP and possibly the Speaker of the House to break a tie, in order to win a confidence vote.

Mr. Kilgour indicated that Sudan is not an issue to play politics with.

"This does not require a vote in the House. What is being asked by the students and in fact by canadians and people around the world and those suffering in Darfur. This requires action.

"It requires political will, and that's what we need to see happen," he said during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday with a number of MPs from the Conservative, NDP and Bloc Québécois parties.

Mr. Kilgour did not say which way he would vote in a confidence motion, however.

He said the government's offer of troops is inadequate.

It was first reported that the Liberals would provide 60 troops, although Mr. Martin said Thursday that there would be at least 100.
Mr. Kilgour, who has recently returned from a visit to the Darfur region of Suday, has said he wants to see rapid deployment of Canadian troops there before committing himself to backing the government.

"I am afraid if it is 60 Canadian military advisers announced in an hour, that are going to do not very much to stop a genocide taking place in an area the size of France," Mr. Kilgour said. "Would 60 troops have been an acceptable response in Bosnia or Kosovo? I think the answer is no.

"I don't see how that will stop the mass murder and mass rape" in the region, he said.

Mr. Kilgour said at least 500 troops would be necessary to begin to bring about stability in the area.

Mr. Martin also asked Africa Ambassador Robert Fowler, Senator Mobina Jaffer, and Senator Roméo Dallaire to lead Canada's efforts in Darfur.

He said he did not tell Mr. Kilgour of his plan before the announcement but said he had a number of discussions with Mr. Kilgour. The announcement has been in the works for a year, Mr. Martin said.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Hap, why do you hate Sudan?
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

All I know is that the conservatives are pissing a lot of people off right now by disrupting the governmnt and pushing for a vote. Why can't those assholes respect the fact that the Liberals were voted in and most people don't want an election
Is Rozy a man or a woman? This thing has a chicks name and deleates threads about hot chicks. I'm guessing this loser isn't a dude
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:All I know is that the conservatives are pissing a lot of people off right now by disrupting the governmnt and pushing for a vote. Why can't those assholes respect the fact that the Liberals were voted in and most people don't want an election
I'll take because Harper, his seperatist pal from Quebec and their nutlicking band of fools don't have any respect for the majority of Canadians.

For $100 Alex.

And you're right about that Viper, even my hard core conservative voting neighbour said the same.. and he's no fan of the Liberals by any stretch of imagination.

I'm hoping that the Conservitards keep doing it too.. it's going to be funny watching them kicking themselves in the ass with these pathetic antics.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Viper Wrote:
All I know is that the conservatives are pissing a lot of people off right now by disrupting the governmnt and pushing for a vote. Why can't those assholes respect the fact that the Liberals were voted in and most people don't want an election
Exactly.
It sucks; but that seems to be the overall drift i'm getting from hereaboots as well. I'm thinking a lot of folks who went Harper last time, did so out of frustration, not love.

Harper is either being a blind power hungry fool, or he knows something the rest of Canada doesn't, cuz the pulse of the nation doesn't appear to be beating in his favor at this time.
I can't see how going through the motions to end the minority gov which the people voted for, and frustrating us with the crap_fest of another election, will bode well for the upstart.
Add yesterdays AdScam performer pretty much single handedly taking the scumball outta the Libby Admin and putting the stank in the pockets of a handful of thieves who were supposedly acting outside of the Liberal Party, and whatdaya get -> Martin's denial factor becomes more plausible = Rendering Harpy's claims of Martins corruption to become more annoying to the non-partisan voter.

Personally; I don't believe it, but what I believe doesn't win elections, so that leaves me to ponder what a Liberal majority will mean to Canada.

I'm coming up with; surprisingly; not to shabby at all.
Me thinks for the same reason The Alliance would do a real good job the first term, So will Martin with a majority.
There is just to much light being cast upon these self-serving cockroaches for them to be filling their own pockets as per usual.

Win Win Canada... :)

VOTE MARTIN....ahh cuzzz like he has pretty eyes.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Otis wrote:
Viper in Vancouver wrote:All I know is that the conservatives are pissing a lot of people off right now by disrupting the governmnt and pushing for a vote. Why can't those assholes respect the fact that the Liberals were voted in and most people don't want an election
I'll take because Harper, his seperatist pal from Quebec and their nutlicking band of fools don't have any respect for the majority of Canadians.
Were the gLiberanos showing respect to Canadians by originally cancelling opposition days in the House of Commons, then only because of public pressure they gave them back but moved them further down the calandar? Is that respect?

I guess it's only respect if you satsify the gLiberanos sense of self-entitlement.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

tough love wrote:

VOTE MARTIN....ahh cuzzz like he has pretty eyes.
I guess you can be bought off too. How much did Martin make out teh cheque for?
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Hap Wrote:
Were the gLiberanos showing respect to Canadians by originally cancelling opposition days in the House of Commons, then only because of public pressure they gave them back but moved them further down the calandar? Is that respect?

I guess it's only respect if you satsify the gLiberanos sense of self-entitlement.
Hap;
The main thang for those who want an Alliance victory should be Harpers chances of getting elected by the people of Canada, not a bunch of what will add up to nothing nothings when the more formitable Martin out poli's the novice Harper when it matters.

From past performances; we both know that the majority of the Alliance candidates will come across like bumbling idiots when the campaign slugfest is underway.
Harper needs more than some ill-conceived hunch to win against these seasoned veterans, and will not only blow our chance of seeing a change in government, but strengthen the Liberals hold on the country to boot.

As for that: VOTE MARTIN....ahh cuzzz like he has pretty eyes.
Perhap's you needed this...:roll:

Anyone who is not partisan should be pissed at Harpers stupidity in this matter.
He will end up being turfed from the leadership of the party, which is a damn shame seeing that he was so close. So close it blinded him to the fact that it's the people of Canada who will decide, not his obsessive zest for power.

Come to think of it, Hap, if anyone deserves to be pissed at Harper, it's you, 'bro.
Harpers lame act will not only blow your parties chances of coming to power, but will most likely give the Libby's another couple terms.

Shameful self serving miscalculations, Poli_Man.

Seriously Hap; you should be very very pissed.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

tough love wrote:
Seriously Hap; you should be very very pissed.
There are more than just two political parties in Canada. Only if the gLiberanos get in again will I be pissed. It will show you what Canadian values have really sunk to. I will be ashamed of this country.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Realistically speaking, there were only two electable poli_party's in Canada. Now thanks to your boys poli_ignorance, there is but one.

You may as well prepare yourself the best you can for a blow out libby win.

I still can't believe that Harper allowed himself to be swayed by such bad advisement. Perhaps the Alliances foundation is as fragile as the Libby's suggest it is.
Not very bright, that's a fer sure.
Very dissapointing, as well.

DAMN; the poli_horizon looked rather promising there for short while, didn't it. :(

VOTE HARPER...It's times like this, i'm glad I don't vote for con men or allow myself to get swindled over the phone or on the internet.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

tough love wrote:Realistically speaking, there were only two electable poli_party's in Canada.
Then Canadians are a lot dumber than I originally thought. There are lots of options for our vote.

When it comes to the gLiberanios you have two choices, and two choices only:

1. Condemn it, or
2. Condone it.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

I didn't say there wasn't options for our votes, my point was there were only two poli_party's at this time in Canada that had a chance to win an election.

Now, thanks to Harpers impatience, there appears to be only one.

As for the NDP; the best Layton can wish for is maybe his buddy Paul will reward him his subservience by giving him a plum job somewhere down the line.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

tough love wrote:
As for the NDP; the best Layton can wish for is maybe his buddy Paul will reward him his subservience by giving him a plum job somewhere down the line.
:lol:

I can see this being said soon: "Welcome to the senate, Mr. Chow."
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

It all comes back to the same point..

Harper flip-flops more than John Kerry could ever dream of having done.

WOULD THE REAL STEPHEN HARPER PLEASE STAND UP!
Stephen Harper astonished many with an apparent 180 degree turnaround in his position on healthcare.

Harper’s speech ending the recent Conservative convention committed to the party’s vision of decentralization, one that would cede all social programs exclusively to the provinces where the federal government would no longer play a role in healthcare.

Indeed the party’s present platform states “Provinces will be allowed to opt out of a federal cost-shared program with full compensation if they are providing a comparable provincial program.”

Harper did an about face where he states he fully supports the Canada Health Act and a role for the federal government in healthcare.

Harper distanced himself from the Manning/Harris Report that would see dual-channels of private/public healthcare delivery stating it is unrealistic. He did commit to permitting provinces to experiment on healthcare, an avenue also recommended in the Romanow Report.

The apparent flip-flop is astounding because it betrays a lengthy history and advocacy for the federal government to get out of healthcare. It is akin to having Layton call for restricting social spending so he could lower taxes (which will never happen).

Harper’s history supporting decentralization has been lengthy:

1988 – authored document calling for Ottawa to withdraw from all social programs.
1993 – supported Reform caucus statement “"restore to the provinces the administrative jurisdiction (in health) that the federal government has usurped."
2001 – participated in writing a letter to Klein recommending Alberta drop out of federal healthcare.
2003 – wrote an article advocating removing the Health Act in favour of 10 independent agreements with the provinces.
2004 – wrote article advocating healthcare must remain in provincial jurisdiction.
2004 – advocated the Health Accord not mentioning the Health Act.
2004 – refused to defend the Health Act against Klein’s proposals that would contravene the Act.

In recent years Harper has flip-flopped more often than the House of Pancakes...

Iraq – recommended fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with the Americans and now remains mute on the issue.
Missile Defence – supported the initiative and now remains mute.
Abortion – once against abortion, Harper now says he will not introduce legislation against it.
Referendums – was for, now against
Fixed-term elections – was for, now against
Proportional Representation – was for, now against
Bilingualism – was against, now for
Canada Pension Plan – was for removing the plan, now for keeping it
Triple “E” Senate – was for, now only for an elected Senate
Decriminalizing marijuana – was against, now mute
National Child Care – was against, now for (but unclear)
Kyoto – was against, now for
Flat Tax – was for, now against (but unclear)

Given a disposition to act as a provincial advocate instead of a national leader Harper now finds himself recommending policies that wholly conflict with the conservative principles he believes in and has actively promoted for more than a decade. What was it all for?

Nope.. no hidden agendas there. :lol: :lol:
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Good News, Hap.

May 14, 2005
Conservatives Have Four-Point Lead In Canada

(Angus Reid Global Scan) – The opposition Conservative party is now the top federal political organization in Canada, according to a poll by Ipsos-Reid for CanWest Global. 31 per cent of respondents would support the Tories in the next election.

The governing Liberal party is second with 27 per cent, followed by the New Democratic Party with 19 per cent, the Bloc Québécois with 13 per cent and the Green party with six per cent. Support for the Liberals dropped by five per cent in a week, while backing for the Tories remained stable.

Yesterdays poli_laff:

Harper called Martin a Monster... :lol:

VOTE HARPER....cuz he's smart enough to know not to ride up on a Jet_Ski
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

tough love wrote:Good News, Hap.

May 14, 2005
Conservatives Have Four-Point Lead In Canada

(Angus Reid Global Scan) – The opposition Conservative party is now the top federal political organization in Canada, according to a poll by Ipsos-Reid for CanWest Global. 31 per cent of respondents would support the Tories in the next election.

The governing Liberal party is second with 27 per cent, followed by the New Democratic Party with 19 per cent, the Bloc Québécois with 13 per cent and the Green party with six per cent. Support for the Liberals dropped by five per cent in a week, while backing for the Tories remained stable.

Yesterdays poli_laff:

Harper called Martin a Monster... :lol:

VOTE HARPER....cuz he's smart enough to know not to ride up on a Jet_Ski
and with good news always comes some more good news...

Ontario's still not going to help elect an idiot like Harper.

And we all know that how Ontario goes, so goes any election.. :lol:
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Otis Wrote:
And we all know that how Ontario goes, so goes any election.. :lol:
Which leads one to ponder why the West would even want to hang with such onesided misquided idiots. :lol:

Btw...Tick Tock

A spokeman for PM Martin Said:
I just hope members can get some work done and perhaps actually pass some legislation that would improve the lives of Canadians
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:
Billdong wrote:NDP - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! only the insane would vote for a party lead by Jack Layton.
I don't like Jack Layton either, but he's still a hell of a lot better than G.W. Harper. Maybe we can trade Alberta for the North Eastern U.S. Alberta has a ton of oil and rednecks; Bush would love you guys!!. :P
Sounds like a deal.

If it falls through though, you can have Vermont for free.

They'd be happier with you anyway, and we'd lose nothing of value.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Bahaha Belinda Stronach jumps to the Liberals :lol: Harpers party is slowly starting to fall apart. I've never been a fan of party jumpers, but rack her anyways. Looks like Peter Mckay will also have to find a new girlfriend :lol:
Is Rozy a man or a woman? This thing has a chicks name and deleates threads about hot chicks. I'm guessing this loser isn't a dude
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:Bahaha Belinda Stronach jumps to the Liberals :lol: Harpers party is slowly starting to fall apart. I've never been a fan of party jumpers, but rack her anyways. Looks like Peter Mckay will also have to find a new girlfriend :lol:

......and Martin plays on.....
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Hapday wrote:
Viper in Vancouver wrote:Bahaha Belinda Stronach jumps to the Liberals :lol: Harpers party is slowly starting to fall apart. I've never been a fan of party jumpers, but rack her anyways. Looks like Peter Mckay will also have to find a new girlfriend :lol:

......and Martin plays on.....
He'll be playing on for four more years too
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Just out of curiosity, how can you and Otis condemn Dubya yet support Martin? Do enjoy being hypocrites?
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Hapday wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how can you and Otis condemn Dubya yet support Martin? Do enjoy being hypocrites?
Because they are completely different people with different beliefs :roll: Who is more like Bush, Harper or Martin?
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Hapday wrote:
Because they are completely different people with different beliefs :roll: Who is more like Bush, Harper or Martin?
If you honestly believe your own opinion on why Bush is 'bad' the answer is obviously Martin. If you don't believe that you even more of an idiot than you appear to be.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Are you honestly for real? Look at what the two leaders stand for and it's plain to see who's more like Bush. I also don't believe that Bush is a bad person. I don't believe in what he stands for, but I don't think that makes him a bad guy. It's the people that he surrounds himself with that are bad people ie) Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz etc.

Hap, you may also be happy to see that the Liberals in BC will win another election today. The Liberals here are only Liberals in name. They are extreme right wing republicans and not liberals. I voted NDP, but my local guy unfortunitely has no chance considering he's running against Gordon Campbell in my Kits/Point Grey riding
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

So everyone around Martin is a choir boy? In this election you either condemn corruption and vote for any other party, or you condone it and vote Liberal. There is no grey area.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

No, there are definitely some bad guys in the liberal party, but I honsetly believe that Paul Martin is a pretty honest guy. I would vote for another party, but that will just help the Conservatives get elected because the left vote will end up getting split up. I'm basically voting for the Conservatives not to be elected
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Viper in Vancouver wrote: I'm basically voting for the Conservatives not to be elected
No you are voting FOR corruption. You are either too stupid to see that or don't care. The fact you think Martin is an honest guy tells me it's the first option.
Fraser vows no repeat of $793-million ad scandal
'You will act as our guard dog': Gomery

Andy Riga
CanWest News Service

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

MONTREAL - After Justice John Gomery presents his final report, federal Auditor-General Sheila Fraser says she will be watching over Ottawa to ensure it learns from her work after she identified serious irregularities in as much as $793-million worth of federal advertising.

Testifying at the Gomery inquiry yesterday, Ms. Fraser said she will begin investigating next year whether "our recommendations have been put into effect, if the problems have been addressed" and if Judge Gomery's recommendations, due in December, are being followed.

"You will act as our guard dog," Judge Gomery told her.

Much attention has been focused on the inquiry's revelations about the $250-million sponsorship scandal involving the federal Liberal party, but Judge Gomery also is investigating how Ottawa doled out its advertising contracts.

This week, attention turned to $793-million Ottawa spent on 2,200 advertising contracts between 1998 and 2003. An audit by Ms. Fraser found that civil servants who broke rules for the sponsorship program broke the same rules when selecting ad agencies.

In many cases, there was no evidence a selection process was conducted, and documentation was scarce.

"Canadians expect more when public funds are being spent," Ms. Fraser, whose expose of the irregularities led to the creation of the inquiry, told Judge Gomery. "There were major problems in advertising activities, whether it was the selection of agencies or the management of the contracts."

In many cases, there was no competitive process for picking agencies and when there was one, rules were broken, she said. "There's a basic principle that the process should be transparent, that it should permit suppliers that want to provide services to the government to know what the requirements are, and how will they be evaluated," she said.

Judge Gomery wondered aloud how potential bidders react to ill-defined bidding criteria and to vague and imprecise requests for bids.

"One witness told us potential bidders who weren't on the right political side simply abandoned" hope, he said. "They didn't even send a submission. They realized that it was wasted time, that it was decided in advance."

Judge Gomery said bidders should be judged on the quality of their bids and "not on their [political] colour."

The inquiry delved into some of the deals Ms. Fraser investigated. One involved $65.7-million in tourism-related contracts that went to the BCP ad agency. In July, 1994, Tourism Canada asked for bids from ad agencies to handle advertising targeting U.S. tourists. Vickers & Benson of Toronto was chosen, with Montreal's BCP coming second.

Both companies had worked on Liberal election campaigns. In October, 1994, former prime minister Jean Chretien announced Tourism Canada would start targeting Canadian tourists. Without a competitive bidding process, it hired BCP in a contract worth $65.7-million between 1994 and 2003.

The inquiry has heard that BCP got that contract after its chairperson, Yves Gougoux, called Mr. Chretien's office, a claim BCP denies.

Officials from Vickers and BCP are to testify this week.

In another case cited yesterday, a Justice Department official wrote two letters to Charles Guite, a former civil servant implicated in the sponsorship scandal, to say her department was unhappy with Groupaction Marketing's work promoting the gun registry.

Groupaction, a big donor to the Liberals, has been implicated in the sponsorship scandal. A process began to find a new agency, but it was not completed. Groupaction went on to get $5.4-million in gun-registry ad deals over the following three years.

Today, the Gomery inquiry will hear from officials from three federal departments -- the Privy Council Office, the Treasury Board and Public Works and Government Services. They will testify about what measures Ottawa has taken to clean up the process of giving out contracts.

© National Post 2005
Oh, I'm sure Martin didn't know anything about this either.

Martin: Didn't know that Adscam was going on while he was Minister of Finance, and in charge of the Quebec caucus.

Sgro: Didn't know her campaign staff were breaking conflict of interest rules during the last election campaign.

Ethics Comissioner: Didin't know that it was a Liberal-friendly lawyer office he hired to originally investigate the Sgro allegations.

What the Liberals don't know could fill a library.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Vip;
I realize your daddy's a civic poli-tard and you were raised with your head up your ass; still one can only hope that you will manage to pull your head out at some point in your adult life.

As by me; I may vote Liberal, i'm just waiting for a reply to my reasonable offer.

To:
The Liberal Party of Canada
E-mail sent May 14/05

As a personal thank you to your Party for teaching me so much about what politics is really about, you are the first to recieve this bargain of an offer.

If you pay me $100, I will vote Liberal in the upcoming election.

I give you till the end of the month to accept this offer if interested, after that, it will be presented to the other poli-party's involved.

Thank you for your consideration;

Woodlands Mb.

I'm not greedy. :wink:
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

RACK!

When I heard the news.. I busted a gut laughing knowing full well that Hapless would be in full spin mode here.

Harper's right wing nut cases are slowly coming apart at the seams.. and per usual.. right on cue. How badly must that party suck when the girlfriend of the deputy leader and herself also a former party leadership candidate bails on the sinking ship because of their agenda.

Don't be all too surprised if there's not one or two more MP's bailing on Harper's Alliance party.

http://www.belindamartin.ca :lol:

War prophecy coming true.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

tough love wrote:Vip;
I realize your daddy's a civic poli-tard and you were raised with your head up your ass; still one can only hope that you will manage to pull your head out at some point in your adult life.

As by me; I may vote Liberal, i'm just waiting for a reply to my reasonable offer.

To:
The Liberal Party of Canada
E-mail sent May 14/05

As a personal thank you to your Party for teaching me so much about what politics is really about, you are the first to recieve this bargain of an offer.

If you pay me $100, I will vote Liberal in the upcoming election.

I give you till the end of the month to accept this offer if interested, after that, it will be presented to the other poli-party's involved.

Thank you for your consideration;

Woodlands Mb.

I'm not greedy. :wink:
Daddy is harcore NDP and I'm definitely not voting NDP in the federal election. He's also going for mayor in november and he'll definitely be the favourite.

I can also see some other Conservatives coming over to the Libs. A lot of MPs on the East Coast are being pressured to vote the budget through, because their provinces will lose a lot of money if they don't
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Looks like Bay Street also approves of Belinda coming to her senses and crossing over to a winning team...
Dollar gains on Stronach move

By TAVIA GRANT

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 Updated at 4:58 PM EDT

Globe and Mail Update

The Canadian dollar rebounded from an earlier decline Tuesday after Prime Minister Paul Martin said Conservative MP Belinda Stronach had crossed the floor to join the Liberal government as the new Human Resources Development Minister.

By midafternoon, the dollar strengthened to 79.07 cents (U.S.) from Monday's closing price of 78.76 cents. It closed with a gain of 0.22 cent at 78.98 cents.

The loonie strengthened on speculation the Liberals may get enough votes to pass their federal budget Thursday. Ms. Stronach's move to the Liberal ranks bolsters the combined Liberal-and-NDP vote (including independent Carolyn Parrish) to 152 seats, and decreases the Conservative-and-Bloc-Quebecois number to 152. There are two remaining independent in the House — Chuck Cadman, a former Conservative, and David Kilgour, a former Liberal.

"It's been taken positively by the market," said Paresh Upadhyaya, senior vice-president for Putnam Investments in Boston. "Expectations have increased that Martin will get the budget passed and remain in power."

Advertisements

The gain Tuesday morning was "a pretty sharp move, and since then it's been helped along by proliferation of that news," he said.

The Canadian dollar had fallen to a seven-month low this week amid lower commodity prices, political uncertainty and expectations of a widening gap between Canadian and U.S. interest rates.

"The dollar appreciated once the market priced in the higher probability of the budget passing," said Jeremy Friesen, senior currency strategist at Royal Bank of Canada. "There's a lot of confusion and uncertainty, especially among Americans who are totally unfamiliar with our parliamentary system."

I think that the only election Stephen needs to concern himself about now is the election to appoint a new leader of his remaining band of Alliance fools.

And you have to know that somewhere, David Orchard is smiling at all of this... :lol:
Last edited by fix on Wed May 18, 2005 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Otis wrote:Looks like Bay Street also approves of Belinda coming to her senses and crossing over to a winning team...
Dollar gains on Stronach move

By TAVIA GRANT

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 Updated at 4:58 PM EDT

Globe and Mail Update

The Canadian dollar rebounded from an earlier decline Tuesday after Prime Minister Paul Martin said Conservative MP Belinda Stronach had crossed the floor to join the Liberal government as the new Human Resources Development Minister.

By midafternoon, the dollar strengthened to 79.07 cents (U.S.) from Monday's closing price of 78.76 cents. It closed with a gain of 0.22 cent at 78.98 cents.

The loonie strengthened on speculation the Liberals may get enough votes to pass their federal budget Thursday. Ms. Stronach's move to the Liberal ranks bolsters the combined Liberal-and-NDP vote (including independent Carolyn Parrish) to 152 seats, and decreases the Conservative-and-Bloc-Quebecois number to 152. There are two remaining independent in the House — Chuck Cadman, a former Conservative, and David Kilgour, a former Liberal.

"It's been taken positively by the market," said Paresh Upadhyaya, senior vice-president for Putnam Investments in Boston. "Expectations have increased that Martin will get the budget passed and remain in power."

Advertisements

The gain Tuesday morning was "a pretty sharp move, and since then it's been helped along by proliferation of that news," he said.

The Canadian dollar had fallen to a seven-month low this week amid lower commodity prices, political uncertainty and expectations of a widening gap between Canadian and U.S. interest rates.

"The dollar appreciated once the market priced in the higher probability of the budget passing," said Jeremy Friesen, senior currency strategist at Royal Bank of Canada. "There's a lot of confusion and uncertainty, especially among Americans who are totally unfamiliar with our parliamentary system."

I think that the only election Stephen needs to concern himself about now is the election to appoint a new leader of his remaining band of Alliance fools.
But who else do they have to lead the party? The 2nd in comand just got dumped on national t.v. Maybe Deborah Grey or Preston manning can come back to lead the party :lol:
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

HOLY STEPHEN JOHN KERRY HARPER BATMAN
Tories to support budget but try to topple gov't
CTV.ca News Staff

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper announced Tuesday night that the Tories would be voting in support of the federal budget on Thursday, but that they would still try to defeat the minority government on separate legislation.

The amendment in question proposes $4.6 billion in spending on housing and the environment and also proposes a delay in a series of corporate tax cuts. It is also scheduled for a vote on Thursday.

"It's our intention to support Bill C-43, the original budget," Harper said after an emergency caucus meeting Tuesday night, hours after high-profile MP Belinda Stronach defected to the Liberals.

"We'll oppose Bill C-48, which was the deal with the NDP, which is complete irresponsible fiscal policy," Harper added.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has said both bills are confidence matters and that losing either vote would trigger an election.

Before Stronach's sudden departure, Harper indicated he was confident the budget vote would mean a defeat for the Liberal minority government.

But after meeting with the caucus Tuesday night, Harper said he wasn't so sure of the outcome.

"I don't know whether we have the numbers or not," he said.

"But we're going to make every effort to defeat (Bill C48). I think it ultimately will come down to a couple of independents."

While the Liberals may have added to their ranks, the Liberals will still need the backing of two Independent MPs -- Chuck Cadman and David Kilgour -- if they hope to the win the vote.

However, CTV's Rosemary Thompson pointed out that even though Stronach is just one person, her departure could affect how others vote.

"She was certainly one of the rising stars of the Conservative party -- somebody who had leadership ambitions, somebody that people felt was a moderate face of the party, and somebody who can help the Conservatives really win in Ontario," Thompson said.

"So yes, she's only one vote. But she's a lot more than that."

When asked about other MPs who might jump ship, Harper said he was confident there would be no others.

He added that "we'll have a caucus meeting between now and Thursday and make sure everybody's still on board."

After Tuesday's caucus meeting, there was no word on whether anyone else would be defecting.

There are two Conservative MPs from Newfoundland and Labrador -- Norm Doyle and Loyola Hearn -- who are under pressure from Premier Danny Williams to break ranks and support the federal budget to make sure Atlantic revenue deals don't die.

Flanked by Hearn and Doyle, Harper lashed out at Williams on Tuesday.

"They stood by Danny Williams, they stood by Newfoundland, they always will," he said of the MPs.

"And it's about time Danny Williams stood by some of his boys down here too."

"That's the only way Newfoundland and Labrador is going to get anywhere in this country."

He insisted a Conservative government would ensure the province would get its money.

"Danny's going to get his money. The people of Newfoundland and Labrador are going get(their) money," he said.

"And I don't care whether Danny likes me today, or doesn't like me. We'll give the money to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador because they deserve it, and it's the right thing to do."

With files from The Canadian Press
Who waffles like Harper, NOBODY!

:lol:

Since February, the Conservative's position has been:

- we strongly oppose the budget, but we won't vote against it,
- we can't wait for the budget vote, the Government must be defeated now,
- we will halt the business of Parliament until the Government quits,
- we can wait for the budget vote and then we'll continue our efforts to defeat the government at all costs,
- if the budget is passed, we'll cease our efforts to defeat the government,
- we'll support the budget

I guess all that's left is, for Harper to announce that all Conservatives will be issued a personal supply of vaseline,... in case the Government asks them to bend over.