Re: Oregon - LSU

Post by Carson »

I think it was Spencer Hall who referred to him as the "ape-wizard."

:lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Yeah, time to give Les Miles his due. I don't want him for civics tests or speaking engagements, but the man can assemble a football team.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, in the first week of the first season for the PAC12...

OS loses at home to a 1AA

Washington barely beats a 1AA (albeit the defending Champ)

ASU hammers a 1AA

Ranked USC squeaks by a shitty Minny team

UCLA loses to a mid-major

Furd shitsmashes a mid-major

Kal wins by a couple of tuddies to SDS

Zona poundsa 1AA

and the new members...

Uah takes on a 1AA

And the DrunkAngries lose to freaking Hawaii

Oregon loses to a contender

Not one impressive victory in the bunch, except maybe Stanford, and...

the offensive juggernaut known as... freaking Wazzu. Dropped 64 on Idaho Shit University. When was the last time Wazzu blew anyone out?

Wazzu to the Rose Bowl. They can't stay down forever.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

57-3 sounds impressive but, reallly, they were playing San Jose State.

The game wasn't on TV but apparently Luck was his typical efficient self, going 17-26, 171 yards, 0 int, 2 TDs passing and one rushing before they put in #2 and #3 (who were 5-5, 61, 1 TD an 0 int between them). From what I hear the defense was solid.

Nice to know the new coach can coach.

Actually, this was good because Stanford has had a habit in the past of losing to inferior teams in the first couple of weeks. But, I'll wait to judge until the big test next week against Duke.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:But, I'll wait to judge until the big test next week against Duke.

You have multiple teams that lost to 1AAs on the schedule?

Nice.

And while Oregon State lost to a 1AA, they should fare better in their other OOC matchups -- Wisky and BYU.

With Wazzu looking better, OS could pull an Oh-fer, 1980's style.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Seriously, LSU’s Miles can coach

..... if there is one secret to Les Miles run of success, it’s that for all the funny things that happen in front of the cameras, there’s hours and hours of seriousness when no one is looking.

LSU began preparing its defense to handle Oregon’s fast-break offensive timing just days after last year’s victory in the Cotton Bowl. Throughout spring practice, and then into fall camp, Miles and his staff dreamed up a drill called “tempo” that would condition the Tigers for the challenge.

It featured one defense facing two offenses. One offensive unit would line up and run a play while the other huddled. When the play ended, the second offense would sprint into formation and snap the ball as fast as possible and the defense would have to scramble into position. Then the first offense would huddle and repeat the cycle.

It caused defenders minds to spin and their muscles to burn. It also got them ready to stuff the Oregon offense and negate the Ducks’ usual schematic advantage.

“We knew that [Oregon’s] tempo would be the best in the nation,” safety Eric Reid said. “It worked out for us.”

Oregon’s Heisman hopeful running back LaMichael James had just 57 yards on 18 carries. The Ducks’ longest run was for just 13 yards. Quarterback Darron Thomas was just 31-of-54 passing and his longest completion was for 18 yards. Oregon had none of its typical quick strikes and big plays.

“We’ll be in every game if our defense plays like that,” Miles noted.
That is a great preparation plan for a team like Oregon. My only question is why Miles would want to let the cat out of thebag as to how they prepared for a fast paced offense like this. You can't hold onto your secrets forever, but I'll be damned if I hand it off to the media to let everyone else know how you are going to prepare for their type of offense.

In any case, sounds more like the player reid may have given up their preparation plan. Miles probably isn't too happy about that.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Spray,

I was speaking more along the lines of if/when LSU faces another fast paced team. A&M (or even Oregon) and LSU could easily meet up in a BCS game. Our offense is no-huddle as well. No matter how badly we lost in the Cotton Bowl last year, this is a different offense. All I was saying was that Miles, as well as any other coach, would probably rather their coaches and players not go into detail how they prepared for a team. That preparation of having two offenses ready to go is pretty damn genius. Keep that in your back pocket as long as you can.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...