Mike Brown, So Very Qualified

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Mike Brown, So Very Qualified

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

OK, well we can all guess wha thte true qualification was that got him the job.

Mike Brown's Resume
When President Bush nominated Michael Brown to head the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in 2003, Brown's boss at the time, Joe Allbaugh, declared, "the President couldn't have chosen a better man to help...prepare and protect the nation." But how well was he prepared for the job? Since Hurricane Katrina, the FEMA director has come under heavy criticism for his performance and scrutiny of his background. Now, an investigation by TIME has found discrepancies in his online legal profile and official bio, including a description of Brown released by the White House at the time of his nomination in 2001 to the job as deputy chief of FEMA. (Brown became Director of FEMA, succeeding Allbaugh, in 2003.)

Before joining FEMA, his only previous stint in emergency management, according to his bio posted on FEMA's website, was "serving as an assistant city manager with emergency services oversight." The White House press release from 2001 stated that Brown worked for the city of Edmond, Okla., from 1975 to 1978 "overseeing the emergency services division." In fact, according to Claudia Deakins, head of public relations for the city of Edmond, Brown was an "assistant to the city manager" from 1977 to 1980, not a manager himself, and had no authority over other employees. "The assistant is more like an intern," she told TIME. "Department heads did not report to him." Brown did do a good job at his humble position, however, according to his boss. "Yes. Mike Brown worked for me. He was my administrative assistant. He was a student at Central State University," recalls former city manager Bill Dashner. "Mike used to handle a lot of details. Every now and again I'd ask him to write me a speech. He was very loyal. He was always on time. He always had on a suit and a starched white shirt."

In response, Nicol Andrews, deputy strategic director in FEMA's office of public affairs, insists that while Brown began as an intern, he became an "assistant city manager" with a distinguished record of service. "According to Mike Brown," she says, "a large portion [of the points raised by TIME] is very inaccurate."

Brown's lack of experience in emergency management isn't the only apparent bit of padding on his resume, which raises questions about how rigorously the White House vetted him before putting him in charge of FEMA. Under the "honors and awards" section of his profile at FindLaw.com — which is information on the legal website provided by lawyers or their offices—he lists "Outstanding Political Science Professor, Central State University". However, Brown "wasn't a professor here, he was only a student here," says Charles Johnson, News Bureau Director in the University Relations office at the University of Central Oklahoma (formerly named Central State University). "He may have been an adjunct instructor," says Johnson, but that title is very different from that of "professor." Carl Reherman, a former political science professor at the University through the '70s and '80s, says that Brown "was not on the faculty." As for the honor of "Outstanding Political Science Professor," Johnson says, "I spoke with the department chair yesterday and he's not aware of it." Johnson could not confirm that Brown made the Dean's list or was an "Outstanding Political Science Senior," as is stated on his online profile.

Speaking for Brown, Andrews says that Brown has never claimed to be a political science professor, in spite of what his profile in FindLaw indicates. "He was named the outstanding political science senior at Central State, and was an adjunct professor at Oklahoma City School of Law."

Under the heading of "Professional Associations and Memberships" on FindLaw, Brown states that from 1983 to the present he has been director of the Oklahoma Christian Home, a nursing home in Edmond. But an administrator with the Home told TIME that Brown is "not a person that anyone here is familiar with." She says there was a board of directors until a couple of years ago, but she couldn't find anyone who recalled him being on it. According to FEMA's Andrews, Brown said "he's never claimed to be the director of the home. He was on the board of directors, or governors of the nursing home." However, a veteran employee at the center since 1981 says Brown "was never director here, was never on the board of directors, was never executive director. He was never here in any capacity. I never heard his name mentioned here."

The FindLaw profile for Brown was amended on Thursday to remove a reference to his tenure at the International Arabian Horse Association, which has become a contested point.

Brown's FindLaw profile lists a wide range of areas of legal practice, from estate planning to family law to sports. However, one former colleague does not remember Brown's work as sterling. Stephen Jones, a prominent Oklahoma lawyer who was lead defense attorney on the Timothy McVeigh case, was Brown's boss for two-and-a-half years in the early '80s. "He did mainly transactional work, not litigation," says Jones. "There was a feeling that he was not serious and somewhat shallow." Jones says when his law firm split, Brown was one of two staffers who was let go.
Can the Bushistas on the board at least admit that hiring Mike Brown to head FEMA was a mistake by Bush? Of course, Brown will probably resign and then be given the Congressional Medal of Freddom.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Post by Risa »

i see nothing about sucking a mean dick.
or is that Dr. Rice?

maybe he just spreads em and says 'may i have another?'
in a way the Family likes.
on a short leash, apparently.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

In researching this man's resume, you melted. Bode ignorance.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

mvscal wrote:It wasn't Brown's responsibility to evacuate the city.
We aren't talking about that. We're talking about a higher up in the Arabian horse world.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

So Mike Brown went George O'Leary?

What's the problem? It's not like he lied to get an IMPORTANT job like Head Coach of Notre Dame.

Mike Brown, WHY MUST YOU LIE??????
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

ummm---
Mr. Brown was first OK'd to a position
in FEMA by a Democrat
controlled Senate-- and had an A-OK
from Joe Lieberman --
unanimous voice vote !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Wolfman wrote:ummm---
Mr. Brown was first OK'd to a position
in FEMA by a Democrat
controlled Senate-- and had an A-OK
from Joe Lieberman --
unanimous voice vote !!
So? Does that change that he LIED?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I don't care who appointed him. On the question of whether Brown was qualified to lead FEMA, there's unfortunately no answer but a resounding NO.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

PSUFAN wrote:I don't care who appointed him. On the question of whether Brown was qualified to lead FEMA, there's unfortunately no answer but a resounding NO.
You better check out the work he and FEMA have done in Florida before you make that claim.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

PSUFAN wrote:I don't care who appointed him. On the question of whether Brown was qualified to lead FEMA, there's unfortunately no answer but a resounding NO.
I don't know, there's a lot of horses' asses in Washington, maybe they thought his prior experience with horses would help.

:lol:
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Sirfindafold wrote:
You better check out the work he and FEMA have done in Florida before you make that claim.
I sure fucking hope he did a good job. Either way, he was not qualified for the position.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

PSUFAN wrote:
Sirfindafold wrote:
I sure fucking hope he did a good job. Either way, he was not qualified for the position.
he did a great job. according to FL residents.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

mvscal wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:
mvscal wrote:It wasn't Brown's responsibility to evacuate the city.
We aren't talking about that.
That's one of the many reasons why you are a fucking idiot.

If the city had been evacuated per the state and city plans, the only thing we'd be talking about now is property damage.
Douchebag,
I completely agree with you. I think the local and state governments have most of the blame in this shit.

That being said, this wasn't a thread to rehash all those issues. This thread was to mock the head of FEMA.
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Shitcanned.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

mvscal wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:This thread was to mock the head of FEMA.
For what?
Read the posts from the beginning of the thread up until you tried to derail it.

That's why.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

FEMA DIRECTOR MICHAEL BROWN BEING REMOVED FROM ROLE MANAGING HURRICANE KATRINA RELIEF EFFORTS, FOX NEWS HAS LEARNED.
mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Seriously - I think we need a different approach - strong, intelligent, principled, and fresh. Obama seems to fit the bill for me best at this point.
Then you are a fucking fool. Straight up. Obama is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever run for President.
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Shitcanned.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Sirfindafold wrote:FEMA DIRECTOR MICHAEL BROWN BEING REMOVED FROM ROLE MANAGING HURRICANE KATRINA RELIEF EFFORTS, FOX NEWS HAS LEARNED.
I think they just found out that he lied about his epic ACT score.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

FEMA DIRECTOR MICHAEL BROWN BEING REMOVED FROM ROLE MANAGING HURRICANE KATRINA RELIEF EFFORTS, FOX NEWS HAS LEARNED.
mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Seriously - I think we need a different approach - strong, intelligent, principled, and fresh. Obama seems to fit the bill for me best at this point.
Then you are a fucking fool. Straight up. Obama is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever run for President.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

CNN.com wrote:FEMA director Michael Brown being sent back to Washington; Homeland Security Director Chertoff to announce new leader for on-the-ground Katrina relief efforts
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

FEMA director pulled off Katrina relief
Fri Sep 9, 2005 1:25 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The director of Federal Emergency Management Agency, Michael Brown, who has been fiercely criticized over the relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina, will be pulled off relief operations in the area, two U.S. officials said on Friday.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:This thread was to mock the head of FEMA.
For what? FEMA doesn't have the mission or the capacity to replace state and local authority. FEMA is there to facilitate aid agencies.

He's not freaking Superman.
He's not even competent. In fact, he's criminal. He needs to be prosecuted for his negligence and his perjury.

I wonder how many other hacks are lying like dormant spores in this administration.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:I wonder how many other hacks are lying like dormant spores in this administration.
and what medals they'll be given.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

He's gone. Next.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Fat Bones wrote:He's gone.
Like a steam locomotive, rollin’ down the track
He’s gone, gone, nothin’s gonna bring him back...he’s gone.

Oooooh oooh ooooh nothin's gonna bring him back
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

FEMA doesn't have the mission or the capacity to replace state and local authority.
How true that is...when the damn thing is staffed by political appointees that have no experience in disaster management.

If you treat these positions and branches of the government as jokes, that's what you get - and eventually, you get walloped for it.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

the head of fema was kicked out of town because its the local government's fault.
Risa

Post by Risa »

mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:How true that is...when the damn thing is staffed by political appointees that have no experience in disaster management.

If you treat these positions and branches of the government as jokes, that's what you get - and eventually, you get walloped for it.
Sincerely,

The City of New Orleans and the State of Louisiana
but not

His Royal Untouchable Majesty
George Walker Bush, II

other people pay. but never you.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Mike Brown is a worthless fuck!

mikebrownsucks.com

:lol:
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:How true that is...when the damn thing is staffed by political appointees that have no experience in disaster management.

Sincerely,

The City of New Orleans and the State of Louisiana
The incompetent Governor and Mayor were elected by the incompetent electorate.

The incompetent morons that Bush appointed were appointed by Bush, another incompetent.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

PSUFAN wrote:
Sirfindafold wrote:
Lets look at this...

Brown apparently does not possess the qualifications to administer FEMA, right, PSU?

So, you rely on this to explain why FEMA performed so badly.

Ok, now are you going to also argue that FEMA did so well during other recent hurricanes or other disasters that they responded to? And, if so, why didn't his lack of qualifications get in the way then?

You see, this always comes back to the locals, period. The mayor and governor here are most at fault,end of fucking story. It ain't any easier than this.
Risa

Post by Risa »

DrDetroit wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:
Sirfindafold wrote: You better check out the work he and FEMA have done in Florida before you make that claim.
Lets look at this...
yes, lets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Brown

While he was in college, from 1975 to 1978, he handled "labor and budget matters"[1] as an administrative assistant to the city manager of Edmond, Oklahoma. His White House biography states that he had emergency services oversight in this position. However, the head of public relations for the city denied that Brown had oversight over anybody, and explained that "the assistant is more like an intern." [2] Brown disputes this characterization of his position, and the city official cited by Time Magazine in this quote claimed on a local news broadcast (Oklahoma City's News 9) that the remark was taken out of context.

While attending law school, Brown was appointed by the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee of the Oklahoma Legislature as the Finance Committee Staff Director, where he oversaw state fiscal issues from 1980-1982. In 1981, he was elected to the city council for Edmond, but resigned to work in private practice[3].

Later in the 1980s he lived in Enid and practiced law there. He worked for prominent Enid attorney Stephen Jones, who later described him as "not serious and somewhat shallow." (ibid). Of 37 lawyers with Jones's firm, Brown was one of two let go when Jones and his partners decided to split the firm up.

He also taught at OCU law school as an adjunct. From 1982-1988, he was the chairman of the board of the Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority. Several power plants were built during his tenure. One hydroelectric plant located at Kaw Reservior was completed in 1989 and named the Michael D. Brown Hydroelectric Power Plant and Dam in his honor.

He ran for Congress in 1988 against Democratic incumbent Glenn English, who had not been challenged in the previous election. English's well-financed campaign beat out Brown with 122,763 votes against 45,199. After losing, Brown promised to try again in 1990, saying, "I have an excellent chance of prevailing. It's a Democratic state, but a very Republican district."[4]

[edit]
IAHA tenure
Before joining the DHS/FEMA, Brown was the Judges and Stewards Commissioner for the International Arabian Horse Association, (IAHA), from 1989-2001. After numerous lawsuits were filed against the organization over disciplinary actions[5], Brown was forced to resign.[6]

A March 2000 two-part report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, chronicling one of the disciplinary actions, lauded Brown for pursuing an investigation against David Boggs, "the kingpin of the Arabian horse world", despite internal pressure to end the inquiry[7]. The Brown-led investigation found Boggs performed medically unnecessary surgery on horses to enhance their visual appeal. An ethics board suspended Boggs for five years. Boggs protested through multiple lawsuits against both the organization and Brown, alleging slander and defamation. Brown and the IAHA prevailed, but the lawsuits nonetheless took a toll on morale. Some members interviewed felt Brown showed an imperious attitude, and nicknamed him "The Czar". [8]

Brown started his own legal defense fund before resigning, a move he said was necessary to protect his family's assets. [9] However, some IAHA insiders claimed that this was what really led to his ouster. He raised money from breeders for the fund as well as IAHA, creating a conflict of interest. Also, his contract stipulated that IAHA was to pay all his personal legal expenses, on top of his $100,000 annual salary, so there was speculation as to why he needed a personal legal defense fund. [10] IAHA became financially depleted, and had to be merged with the Arabian Horse Registry of America. [11]
in the immortal words of fatsak, 'what's going on here?'
Risa

Post by Risa »

DrDetroit wrote:So, you rely on this to explain why FEMA performed so badly.

Ok, now are you going to also argue that FEMA did so well during other recent hurricanes or other disasters that they responded to? And, if so, why didn't his lack of qualifications get in the way then?
maybe because they did get in the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Brown

Hurricane Frances
In 2004, FEMA disbursed $30 million in disaster relief funds for Hurricane Frances to residents of Miami, Florida, a city which was not affected by the hurricane. Brown admitted to $12 million in overpayments, but denied any serious mistakes, blaming a computer glitch. After investigating, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel wrote that Brown was responsible and called for him to be fired.[16]

In January 2005, U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) publicly urged President Bush to fire Brown, citing the Sun-Sentinel's report. [17] Wexler repeated his call in April to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, citing new reports that FEMA sent inspectors with criminal records of robbery and embezzlement to do damage assessments. [18]
'Brownie' did 'a heck of a job', though. A 'heck of a job'.
Mr. Brown didn't do anything that he wasn't supposed to do.
I firmly believe that.

That's why I believe him when he says that it's the press
making him into a scapegoat, not the president. I believe
he believes that to his core.

And I believe that for once, the press is onto something.
And that the president not doing more is indicative of deeper
corruption at the top.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

"And I believe that for once, the press is onto something. "

They usually are on something. Like this bold display of competence.

Gotta do it ............. let's roll the tape ....
Jennings: We have on the phone with us as well Robert Higgins, who lives in the neighborhood and is on the ground and can see inside the van. Mr. Higgins.

Caller: Ah, yeass, ah, how are you?

Jennings: Ah, just about as tense as you are, sir.

Caller: Oh, my Lord, this is quite tenses.

Jennings: What can you see?

Caller: Ah, what I'm lookin' at ri' now is I'm lookin' at the van, and I see OJ kinna' slouchin' down lookin' very very upset. Now lookee here, he look very upset. I don' know what gon' be doin'.

Jennings: Can you... can you... can you see him doing anything specific? Is he merely sitting there?

Caller: He is just a-sittin' 'round, you know, just a-lookin' like he be very nervous

Jennings: Can you hear anything, Mr. Higgins?

Caller: It's just too much commotion, I here in the back of a news van, so I can' really hear that goo' but I can see it all. An' I see OJ. I see OJ, man, and he looks scared. An' I would be scared 'cause there's cops all deep in this.

Jennings: Thank you, Mr. Higgins.

Caller: An' Bobba Bouey to y'all!

Jennings: The driveway of O. J. Simpson's home in Brentwood... Clearly an effort being made to have him come out of the vehicle... In the doorway of the house: his friend, Al Cowlings...

Michaels: Peter, by the way, just for the record, this is Al Michaels. That was a totally farsical call.

Caller: Ah!

Jennings: Ahm.

Michaels: Lest anybody think that that was somebody who was truly across the street that was not. He said something in code at the end that's indicitave of the mentioning of the name of a certain radio talk show host.

caller: Ah!

Jennings: OK, thanks.

Michaels: He was not there.

Jennings: OK, we have them on every coast. Thank you very much.

The president "not doing more" is more indicative of the president being responsible for 47 other states than anything else. For instance, your disdain at the fact on of the first things he did had something to do with bringing the pipeline back up. 'Duh. That's his job. Do you know many other people and states depend on that ?

This disaster revealed spectacular fault lines in the cohesion between local, state and federal (lackof)organization(s).

The local and state first responders and their leadership are going to have step up their games exponentially.

FEMA and DHS, will as well, but not to handle one major catastrophe, but the potential of several happening all at once.

I'm curious as to how many of the naysayers in here have actually ever been in a position of true leadership/management.

Have you Annie ?
Risa

Post by Risa »

Tom In VA wrote:"And I believe that for once, the press is onto something. "

They usually are on something. Like this bold display of competence.

Gotta do it ............. let's roll the tape ....
(some asshole perpetuating racial stereotypes in a laughable racial accent for cheap thrills deleted)
I prefer the OTHER tapes that are out there; there are at least 2.

One details the non-answers of an official white house spokesperson refusing to give an answer on the president's confidence in Mike Brown, and their insistence on shoving that point blank question back at the interviewer, even to the point of spinning the interviewer's insistence on having the question answered as perpetuating the 'blame game'.

The other one was posted here, earlier. A canadian can pull it back up. My search and deseminate skills are a little washed out right now. heh.

There's also the meltdowns of interviewers confronting the people who are supposed to be our public servants when said public servants mouth the official line that everything is alright.
The president "not doing more" is more indicative of the president being responsible for 47 other states than anything else.
He was in week 5 of a 5 week vacation. He had time to bike ride with lance armstrong on the crawford ranch, he could eat cake with mccain, and he honestly believed everything was in hand enough to tell 'brownie' that he was doing 'a heck of a job'.

that's not indicative of a president being responsible for 47 other contiguous states. that's indicative of a man who is being used as a front for other powers working behind the scenes. there was nothing going on in 40 of those other contiguous states that merited watching as much as that monitoring of the mandatory evacuation he allegedly suggested to Blanco.

The other 7 (and I may be under counting them) were going to be EXTREMELY affected by a mass exodus out of Louisiana. That's a displacement of over 1 million people. One million people. And the president, you're telling me, had better things on his mind than those 1 million people (in the New Orleans area alone) who could be wiped out if the storm hit in the wrong way?

No, man.

Bush didn't care. Now people are calling him a dry drunk. I have no idea what that is. Some old lady swore up and down that he had a tic that reminded her of someone who had just snorted coke. :lol: I don't know about all that.

What I know is that the things that Bush apparently thought were more important than the aftermath of a legendary 300 year storm had everythingto do with satiating his oil buddies and doing some fundraising for asskissers, and nothing to do with the people in the path of that storm.

'Brownie' was on top of it. 'Brownie', along with that caught in too many lies this past week by the media snake Chertoff, did a 'heck of a job'.
For instance, your disdain at the fact on of the first things he did had something to do with bringing the pipeline back up. 'Duh. That's his job. Do you know many other people and states depend on that ?
I don't think those people and states matter half as much as the fact that his family fortune is built on that shit. And it still didn't stop gouging.

Did he say anything about the gouging? or was his only words publically those I heard from him, about telling Americans to only buy what they needed?

It was up to the individual state governments to try to do something about the gouging. Where were his words? Where were his assurances? Telling someone to 'buy only what you need' is akin to telling someone the proper way to hold their guts to their belly until help arrives after being knifed, in a situation like this.

He also (more importantly) hasn't said anything about assistance for anyone else or any other industry in that region. Has he?

But the first thing he cares about is oil.
That ain't cool, man.
This disaster revealed spectacular fault lines in the cohesion between local, state and federal (lackof)organization(s).
... which were supposed to be fixed by the formation of Homeland Security. His baby. His watch.

and lo, when it was needed, who had he put in charge? cronies and bootlickers.

It's pretty fucked up when the solution is a lot worse than the problem it was supposed to fix.

Besides.... word has it that the president has a LOT more discretion under the new laws after a state of emergency has been declared; there is no need to wait for the states to coordinate shit by themselves, among themselves.

First real test run, and none of it worked, though. No one wanted to take responsibility. No one is doing their job, or even cares about their job.

Because the true believers will always make up excuses for them.
The local and state first responders and their leadership are going to have step up their games exponentially.
You got that right.
FEMA and DHS, will as well, but not to handle one major catastrophe, but the potential of several happening all at once.
How about putting competent people in positions of importance in the first place.
I'm curious as to how many of the naysayers in here have actually ever been in a position of true leadership/management.
Probably plenty.

But being a true leader and a great manager have shit to do with holding office, or being qualified for a particular position, in the end.

Those who are true leaders and great managers will make their own positions. And they wouldn't have been caught dead doing what Bush did this past week.
Have you Annie ?
Hell no. I'm a firm believer of that little principle that states that we rise to the level of our incompetence. I'm not the leader of people type, by any stretch. Too many people out there in positions they have no business being in, anyway.

What about you?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Are hospital administrators doctors ?

Trick question, maybe they have been, but it is not a requirement.
They act as liaisons between governing boards, medical staff, and department heads and integrate the activities of all departments so they function as a whole.

Brown's job as a policy and procedure weenie, just like Albert Gore, is to process paper, infuse the CinC's agenda into the organization with which he's been charged.

You act as if "a buddy" getting the nod to head an agency isn't SOP every election cycle. I served in the Fed for two president's. Believe me it is, all the way down to regional administrators.

I don't recall any of the appointees knowing much about the subject matter involved in buildings acquisition and management, supply and information systems.

The three primary "services" my agency specialized in.

And no, at least not on an executive level, but see I'm not the one "arm chairing" anything.

The "executive" level is not my cup of tea. I prefer to have and hone some hard skills.
James
Jake

Post by James »

Qualified? Hell No.

Sin,
Bengal Fan
"What's a three-letter word for man's best friend?"

"Tit?"

"No, I've tried that already..."
Risa

Post by Risa »

http://www.bushwatch.com/

Florida Disaster: FEMA Paid Millions in False Claims to Help Bush Win Fla. Votes, Jason Leopold

Michael Brown, the embattled head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, approved payments in excess of $31 million in taxpayer money to thousands of Florida residents who were unaffected by Hurricane Frances and three other hurricanes last year in an effort to help President Bush win a majority of votes in that state during his reelection campaign, according to published reports. Some Homeland Security sources said FEMA's efforts to distribute funds quickly after Frances and three other hurricanes that hit the key political battleground state of Florida in a six-week period last fall were undertaken with a keen awareness of the looming presidential elections, according to a May 19 Washington Post story.

Homeland Security sources told the Post that after the hurricanes that Brown and his allies [recommended] him to succeed Tom Ridge as Homeland Security secretary because of their claim that he helped deliver Florida to President Bush by efficiently responding to the Florida hurricanes. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel uncovered emails from Florida Gov. Jeb Bush that confirmed those allegations and directly implicated Brown as playing politics at the expense of hurricane victims.
people need to provide links when they do this ;)

anyway, heck of a job, brownie. heck of a job. here's the door. first rule: don't get caught without an exit.