I am sick and tired of hearing about the shoe and..

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

I am sick and tired of hearing about the shoe and..

Post by Left Seater »

how it is going to be the difference in the game.

Now before you OSU guys react read the rest of this post first.

The fans and the fact this game is at night isn't going to be the difference, the talent OSU puts on the field will make a difference. Yes the crowd will be geeked and loud and hostile to Texas. However, I don't think that is any more intimidating than going to College Station or Lincoln.

Plus, I think playing this game at night actually helps Texas. The fact that OSU fan can "get his drink on" all day means he will be worn out and spend 1 qtr of the game in the pisser. As a player I liked playing road games at night because the other teams fans weren't as rowdy as during the day.

Bottom line: it is the OSU players not the fans who will make the difference in this game. I think this game is a toss up in Columbus, Austin, or Hawaii. But by playing at home OSU has more pressure on them.

Props to both schools for scheduling this game and thank you ABC for putting it on at night so I can watch after my game.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: I am sick and tired of hearing about the shoe and..

Post by indyfrisco »

Left Seater wrote:Bottom line: it is the OSU players not the fans who will make the difference in this game.
Didn't think it would come from Lefty, but this has got to be the "Sin, MA" of the year. :lol:
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Same like how the old Orange Bowl used to be. Saw NU play there in the 95 Orange Bowl and other than being full of Miami fans, I saw nothing special that would lead one to believe that this place had one of the best winning percentages for the home team (at the time).

It's all a state of mind. The key is to control your emotions, control the game and control the crowd.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I think that if the game was played in late November and there were 6 feet of snow plowed to the sidelines then the stadium would make more of a difference. If Young doesnt call a lot of audibles at the line (he's no Matt Leinart) then it shouldnt prevent the Horns from running most of the plays they want to run. OSU's defense will be the ones responsible for stopping Texas, not OSU's fans.
Its the "fans make a difference" mentality that causes papers like the Sporting News to list "Boston" as the #1 sports city in the nation. Pro Athletes and a bunch of asses in the seats dont make a great sports city, great youth/HS programs and a ton of great athletes is what makes a city great at sports.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I agree Indy, but all of the talking heads and OSU fans don't seem to get that.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I think playing in the shoe can and would be intimidating to younger guys but a team like Texas with all their senior leadership should be able to play anywhere and not have a drop off.

Another thing to consider is if the personality of the team is one that feeds off the energy of the crowd. I would actually prefer playing this group because that means they are usually controled by their emotions and when something bad happens they will get their heads down or better yet make a stupid play. Their high's may be higher but their lows are pretty low.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Ask Braylon Edwards what effect the home crowd had on Michigan's offense in last year's Game.

I agree, many OSU fans have been overplaying "The Shoe Card" but I wouldn't go as far to say that it won't make any difference where this game is played at. It's certainly not a "wash," it's an advantage for OSU.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

or ask Wisconsin
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

L45B wrote:Ask Braylon Edwards what effect the home crowd had on Michigan's offense in last year's Game.

I agree, many OSU fans have been overplaying "The Shoe Card" but I wouldn't go as far to say that it won't make any difference where this game is played at. It's certainly not a "wash," it's an advantage for OSU.
Doubt it. Braylon has always dropped easy passes, home and away.

I think the reason a lot of buckeyes are pimping the stadium so hard is because the home crowd is head and shoulders different than normal when it is a night game. It may not affect the players so much but it will affect the fans in attendance.
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

If Michigan were playing at Kyle Field do you think it would be any different? [edit: noting that Lefty made this point already]

i also think it would be a little naive not to recognize that as far as networks and talking heads it's a partial sell to both coasts for two NAME teams but that one doesn't see often in the country's most populated areas (but maybe once a year--for average fan, not the guy who is pissed the hungover assistant manager of "Sports Bar" isn't there at 9AM Saturday morning). i also think from a network perspective, night games are risky for the casual fan. team goes up a couple TD's, and young people are off the bar.

I think it was Reece Davis (did i read that here?) who said that it was the biggest non-con marquee game in 15 years......i dunno about that--maybe it will be. but, Miami-FSU over the years. the "Catch" game at the Big House with CU-UM--next time that's on ESPN Classic.....check it....there is some serious talent on the field.

only time will prove that out or not....but hyperbole seems more and more to be the unjustifiable currency of sports media marketing these days. "the greatest ever, the best ever....." blah blah blah.
Last edited by King Crimson on Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

what size shoe are they playing this game in?

granted the place will be nutso...especially with 88 leading the savages...who knows how Texas will react...I know I was at the first PSU conference game in 93 and it was Rocking, I was at the Washington Night Game in 93 and it was unbelieveable...so who knows...

ahh hell...fuck it...when will 8pm Saturday get here?
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

Please tell me 88 is'nt one of those block O loosers.
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

what the fuck am I talking about the 93 PSU conference game was during the fucking day...

sorry on tOSU/Texas high, anticipation...I am just not thinking right...

now U-Dub in 93 was a night game and it was fucking awesome...

Nolsey...don't know if 88 was in Block O. But chances are if he got to run it my god the horrah for the other team...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

just to add: i'm really looking forward to the game. don't get me wrong.

i just get tired of the sensational flavor of the month stuff that implies that CFB fan has no memory.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:what the fuck am I talking about the 93 PSU conference game was during the fucking day...
I was at both games as well. The PSU game, while not technically a night game, was a 4 o'clock start and was close to halloween so it was dark most of the game. Dark and half snow half rain.
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

yeah i remember the 1/2 snow/rain combo...

place was electric...
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

OSU's Def is way better than Mich from last year. I see OSU using a LB to spy Young all night and never dropping more than 4 back in coverage.

OSU 20
Tex 17
Snake
Elwood

Post by Snake »

Cicero wrote:OSU's Def is way better than Mich from last year. I see OSU using a LB to spy Young all night and never dropping more than 4 back in coverage.

OSU 20
Tex 17
we don't need no stinking spy.......the entire Defense will be stalking that bitch like she was a 19 year old 36-24-36 virgin on a navy ship that has been out to sea for 6 months.............................

Bucks 29

Steers 3