Muffed Kick Rule Explanation

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Muffed Kick Rule Explanation

Post by indyfrisco »

Not sure if this has been covered before or not, but I’ll ask anyways.

Why is it that a player cannot advance a muffed punt? For example, I was watching a game recently (South Carolina I believe) where the punt returner muffed the punt and the defender caught the ball in the air before it even touched the ground and ran it into the endzone. Since it was ruled a muff, the recovering team got possession of the ball, but only at the point of the recovery.

I can’t see ANY reason why a muffed punt where the punt returner drops the ball while trying to catch it can’t be returned. The only thing I could think of at all is if the punter purposefully kicked the ball at someone with their back to him or something from someone just beyond the line of scrimmage. That is a far stretch to me to account for this rule though.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Happened to us against Kal last season when Justin Wyatt recovered the muff and took it to the house, only to get called back.

Perhaps the rule was intended to be a deterrant against the kicking team intentionally making a reception of the kick impossible.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Web Page Name

couldn't find the explanation, but it's in there somehwere!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Adel,

I know it's a rule. I was just wondering why that was put into effect.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

To bottom line it, the kicking team can not advance a kick.

A muff does not end the kick. Only possession or the ball becoming dead by rule ends the kick play. That is why if possession is gained by the receiving team and then they fumble the kicking team can advance the ball. In that situation the kick play ends when the receiving team gains possession and a running play starts.

Hope that clears it up for you.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Lefty,

Basically, the "reason" given for my question of WHY this rule came into effect is "because we say so".

I can accept that. It's just that some rules, such as the halo rule or 5 yard chuck rule, were implemented with a specific reason or purpose. I was hoping for something of that nature. Guess it isn't so.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Indy, from what I gather it comes down to definitions. The kicking team can't advance a kick. If we changed the definition to say that a muff ends a kick many other things would change too including momentum. Not sure we want to go there.

But this rule has been on the books as long as I have been playing, and remember that the coaches are the ones who make the rules.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.