Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

War Stoops
Elwood

Revised Haiku

Post by War Stoops »

Toss and turn all night
One day later it still stings
Fucking TCU

Wow. Where to start? That was a miserable piece of shit laid by every person wearing crimson and cream yesterday. From the two "can't miss" quarterbacks to the arrogant/stubborn coaching staff to the zombie-like crowd at Owen Field.

I'll get to those items later. First, I want to talk about the biggest fraud of the day...the offensive line. This has been the achilles heel of Bob Stoops since he got to Oklahoma. I don't know why, but the man simply cannot recruit the O-line. When he does get them on campus about 50% of them quit before they see the field. I don't know if Kevin Wilson is the problem or if its Chuck Long but this year's unit is the worst OU has fielded since the Blake era. Peterson may not sniff 1000 yards, probably because he'll be dead by the Texas game. Dude had 63 yards yesterday and about 55 were after contact. The other areas of the team can be fixed but this unit is simply bad and will cost OU multiple games.

As for the quarterbacks...it will be a massive mistake if Stoops sticks with Paul Thompson. He is obviously not the answer and though Bomar had the huge fumble, he has a far greater potential. This season is all but lost, put Bomar in and let him learn on the job. Of course, now that I think of it, maybe Thompson should remain the starter so Bomar doesn't end up in a wheelchair before the age of 20.

Defensively, OU wasn't all that bad. TCU had only 59 yards in the second half after OU made some adjustments to shut down that little slant pass that killed them in the first half. But now that Birdine and Williams are both lost for the season, the Sooners will again be unable to pressure opposing quarterbacks. The young defensive backs were the bright spot yesterday but they will not fair as well against better teams.

The biggest coaching failure yesterday was again Chuck Long. He has no creativity, no balls, and now he has no talent to mask his shortcomings. His young quarterbacks are great runners yet Chuck chose not to run them. TCU was rushing seven, yet Chuck chose not to call any screens. Peterson was getting killed, yet Chuck chose to give him the ball again and again with no blocking back, which in this case happens to be the best fullback in the country. Bob Stoops is far too stubborn to give Chuck the boot, though his performances in the Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Horned Frog Bowl were pitiful enough to warrant a pink slip. Chuck simply sucks and I was saying that when OU ran the table both of the last two years.

Oh, and nice job giving up on your team yesterday Sooner fans. It's one thing to complain on a message board and another to flat out quit on your young team when they're on the ropes. Yet again, it was shown that we have some of the worst fans in the country. If it weren't for my deep and everlasting love for the University, I'd relish in your misery.

Not a bad meltdown, eh?

On the brighter side, this will be an interesting year. For the first time in a long time there will not be the pressure of a National Championship. Many, many freshmen will see the field. The future of the program will be on display. And guess what Longhorns, all the pressure of the Red River Shootout is squarely on your shoulders. Don't tell me that doesn't make you sweat, Bill, Harv, etc.

OUt
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Re: Revised Haiku

Post by Harvdog »

War Stoops wrote:Toss and turn all night
One day later it still stings
Fucking TCU

Wow. Where to start? That was a miserable piece of shit laid by every person wearing crimson and cream yesterday. From the two "can't miss" quarterbacks to the arrogant/stubborn coaching staff to the zombie-like crowd at Owen Field.

I'll get to those items later. First, I want to talk about the biggest fraud of the day...the offensive line. This has been the achilles heel of Bob Stoops since he got to Oklahoma. I don't know why, but the man simply cannot recruit the O-line. When he does get them on campus about 50% of them quit before they see the field. I don't know if Kevin Wilson is the problem or if its Chuck Long but this year's unit is the worst OU has fielded since the Blake era. Peterson may not sniff 1000 yards, probably because he'll be dead by the Texas game. Dude had 63 yards yesterday and about 55 were after contact. The other areas of the team can be fixed but this unit is simply bad and will cost OU multiple games.

As for the quarterbacks...it will be a massive mistake if Stoops sticks with Paul Thompson. He is obviously not the answer and though Bomar had the huge fumble, he has a far greater potential. This season is all but lost, put Bomar in and let him learn on the job. Of course, now that I think of it, maybe Thompson should remain the starter so Bomar doesn't end up in a wheelchair before the age of 20.

Defensively, OU wasn't all that bad. TCU had only 59 yards in the second half after OU made some adjustments to shut down that little slant pass that killed them in the first half. But now that Birdine and Williams are both lost for the season, the Sooners will again be unable to pressure opposing quarterbacks. The young defensive backs were the bright spot yesterday but they will not fair as well against better teams.

The biggest coaching failure yesterday was again Chuck Long. He has no creativity, no balls, and now he has no talent to mask his shortcomings. His young quarterbacks are great runners yet Chuck chose not to run them. TCU was rushing seven, yet Chuck chose not to call any screens. Peterson was getting killed, yet Chuck chose to give him the ball again and again with no blocking back, which in this case happens to be the best fullback in the country. Bob Stoops is far too stubborn to give Chuck the boot, though his performances in the Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Horned Frog Bowl were pitiful enough to warrant a pink slip. Chuck simply sucks and I was saying that when OU ran the table both of the last two years.

Oh, and nice job giving up on your team yesterday Sooner fans. It's one thing to complain on a message board and another to flat out quit on your young team when they're on the ropes. Yet again, it was shown that we have some of the worst fans in the country. If it weren't for my deep and everlasting love for the University, I'd relish in your misery.

Not a bad meltdown, eh?

On the brighter side, this will be an interesting year. For the first time in a long time there will not be the pressure of a National Championship. Many, many freshmen will see the field. The future of the program will be on display. And guess what Longhorns, all the pressure of the Red River Shootout is squarely on your shoulders. Don't tell me that doesn't make you sweat, Bill, Harv, etc.

OUt
Pressure? What's that? :wink: Your feelings for Chuck are the way we have felt about GD for the last 7 years. Our play calling has stunk worse than our performance in early October in Dallas. Anytime you lose the quality of players that ou lost, you are going to struggle. I mean you lost a Heisman winner at QB, all your receivers, and some great lineman. It happens to the best programs. It happend to Texas. It happend to USC. It is part of the game.

It will be hard for Adrian to repeat what he had last year. Most Texas fans have been saying this since last year. TCU found the weakness in ou. You have no o-line. Adrian better get used to what happend yesterday because the blueprint has been made. Put 8 in the box and pressure the QB.

I felt good about Texas even before the TCU game. We have had a rough go of it the last 5 years. It is time you had a taste of what has been on our plate since 2000. I may eve nsend you a beer to wash it down :P
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

The O line is horrid, I don't see that changing. I have never vocally complained or supported Chuck Long, he has been getting the job done, however this is the first year we are playing with QBs that were not in the initial class which Leach helped recruit.

Even the speacial teams looked like shit, I have not seen a worse performance since the Blake days.

RACK TCU though, they came in and took care of business.

The fans were the most dissappointing thing to me. I have only gone to one game since I almost got kicked out of the stadium for simply standing up and cheering.

I don't remember anyone bringing a bang load of children or anyone telling me to sit down and stop cheering during the Blake years. OU wants a family atmosphere, well you got it yesterday with another 11 am kickoff.

Like War Stoops said, some of the pressure is off and it looks like we have a couple of years before we will be in NC contention.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

It's the ones that are sitting on their hands that should be gone not the ones supporting their team. If you don't want to yell why not watch the game at home?

It is when you have shortcomings to account for that real coaches show their worth. Now is the time when Long needs to show what he is made of.

I still don't see why Long wasn't using the athleticism of his qb's. Use roll-out passes, use some option, and then combine those two to make the D really protect the whole field. Also, with a back like Peterson the play-action pass should be open.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

Make it a ZiegenBock, Harv. In fact, let's go ahead and make a six-pack bet on the game. The loser ships a sixer of the winner's choice (mine named above). Come on, it looks like I'm going to need all the excitement this year I can get.

Oh, and in all seriousness. Beat the shit out of Ohio State.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Even more is on the line now for Texas vs Ohio State, conference pride is on the line. GO HORNS

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Danimal wrote:It's the ones that are sitting on their hands that should be gone not the ones supporting their team. If you don't want to yell why not watch the game at home?

My section was dead.

At one point in the second quarter I had a old man tell me to sit down and shut the fuck up. My father turned to him (I was using one of his tickets and pawned my POSes off to my sister and her BF) and told him he paid a shit load of money each year for those seats, both of us sat through the Blake era as well, and if he had a problem with me being one the last couple hundred fans in the stadium not in shell shock and still showing my pride that if I didn't beat the shit out of him next time he spoke to me like that that he was going to do it for me. I was pretty damn heated and didn't want to get thrown out for beating the hell out of another sooner and an old man at that so I went down near the ramp and smoked my forst cigarette in months.

When I came back to the seats after the half the heartless bastard had left for home.

I'd almost welcome a mediocre season, as much as it would hurt, to unload the dead weight again. Atleast during the Blake era we knew who the 70,000 real fans were every Saturday.

Maybe our team wouldn't be so damn quick to surrender if our fans at the damn stadium weren't so fucking fair wheather!!!

And War I agree we have some of the shittiest fans in the country and have thought so for some damn time now. Every time I say this on a sooner message boarb I get blasted or worse yet banned (BTW war soonerfans.com for sacking up and giving me my posting privilages back fthursday or sometime there abouts). At the same time though War I lost my damn voice at the game and is just now beginning to come back. I sound like a damn emphysemia patient though. Shouldn't have had those damn cigs either :? they didn't help matters in the least. Another week of major craving will only ensue as my wife bitches about me being a weakling and if I can welch she should be able to as well.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

War Stoops wrote:Make it a ZiegenBock, Harv. In fact, let's go ahead and make a six-pack bet on the game. The loser ships a sixer of the winner's choice (mine named above). Come on, it looks like I'm going to need all the excitement this year I can get.

Oh, and in all seriousness. Beat the shit out of Ohio State.
Double Word. :D
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

That is just wrong suncoast. Neb crowds aren't as loud and rowdy as I'd like but I've never been berated for simply supporting the team. In a tight game like TCU every little bit helps and giving up home-field advantage by being a dead-crowd means not being real fans for your team.

While Bob has bigger things to worry about now he and the local sports-writers should make mention of this problem. Maybe then the sit-on-their-hands crew will realize there is more to being a fan than simply showing up. Like you said, half those folks were probably home during the Blake-years.

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Sooner fan, please shut up. Quit being whiny babies.

You have a YOUNG team. You have a very good coaching staff. It's one fucking game. Things will get turned around. Maybe not next week, maybe not against Texas, but you're going to end up no worse than 8-3. When you have inexperienced players at a lot of key positions, you can't expect them to be consistent. It's an upset. Even the TCU coach said it was.

You're going to be a national championship contending team next year. You might even be the Preseason #1. You're still going to make it to the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl at worst. I know it's not the BCS and you're not playing for a national title, but shit, it's pretty fucking good for a rebuilding year.

Once this team puts it together in a few weeks, you're going to be back to sucking Stoops and Long's nuts. Put down the shower rod and relax. Did you guys seriously think you were going to contend for a national title this year anyways? Come on, you lost too many good players and Jason White! Better days are ahead. They could always bring Blake back....

Sooner fans have been sucking on Stoops' balls for years and now he's a shitty coach. What? Did he just all of a sudden forget how to coach? Boo fucking hoo!
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

^^^^^

What he said.

FYI, Jon, I wouldn't trade Stoops for any coach in the country. I think Chuck Long is a massive underachiever and when I see the same problems pop up in multiple games, I think it's OK for me to opine on them on a college football message board. This is especially true when my team gets worked by TCU in their own crib.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

TheJON wrote:Sooner fan, please shut up. Quit being whiny babies.

You have a YOUNG team. You have a very good coaching staff. It's one fucking game. Things will get turned around. Maybe not next week, maybe not against Texas, but you're going to end up no worse than 8-3. When you have inexperienced players at a lot of key positions, you can't expect them to be consistent. It's an upset. Even the TCU coach said it was.

You're going to be a national championship contending team next year. You might even be the Preseason #1. You're still going to make it to the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl at worst. I know it's not the BCS and you're not playing for a national title, but shit, it's pretty fucking good for a rebuilding year.

Once this team puts it together in a few weeks, you're going to be back to sucking Stoops and Long's nuts. Put down the shower rod and relax. Did you guys seriously think you were going to contend for a national title this year anyways? Come on, you lost too many good players and Jason White! Better days are ahead. They could always bring Blake back....

Sooner fans have been sucking on Stoops' balls for years and now he's a shitty coach. What? Did he just all of a sudden forget how to coach? Boo fucking hoo!
Let me translate for those not fluent in Jonsense.

"OU could have a 3 loss season and still be worlds better than Iowa. We would do anything for a coach like Stoops. We tried to lure him back but he spent 4 years playing here and said "NO FUCKING WAY WOULD I LIVE IN A SHITHOLE LIKE IOWA." OU is young and could still punk us by 30 even without Jason White. It is wasn't for your Iowa grad calling offensive plays you would be undefeated."

:P
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I'm not necessarily calling out the Sooner fans on this board in general, but the entire Sooner nation. The DSM Register even mentioned this morning some posts from Sooner websites calling for Chuck Long's head and basically saying that Sooner fans are melting down.

I'm not sure I understand how you can say Chuck has underachieved? If you think he coached a shitty game on Saturday, you might be right. I only saw a little bit. But you have one of the most powerful offenses year in and year out. Kinda hard to rip on the OC that has coached one of the best offenses in the country every year.

Look at all the offensive players OU is sending to the NFL. I suppose Chuck has nothing to do with that? For crying out loud, OU has had 2 QB's in the last 5 years be Heisman finalists, and 1 of them one it and neither of them had a lick of talent.

OU has had great success since Stoops has been there, and don't think for a second that they would have done it with a shitty offensive coordinator. Good coaches (like Stoops) surround themselves with other good coaches. If Long wasn't a good coach, he'd be at Iowa State- not Oklahoma.

This year, if the offense struggles, it's because of too much inexperience.
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

Jon:

Chuck has done fine against inferior opponents (until TCU). But in almost every big game save Texas 2003, his squad has been dominated. Kansas State 2003, LSU 2003, Texas 2004, USC 2004, hell even Alabama 2003. Your mentioning of OU's talent only supports my point. The coaching staff has recruited well and the talent has, until now, masked Chuck's issues. I also think Kevin Wilson deserves some of the blame for failing to develop the offensive line. But I'll give him some time before I throw him under the bus. I don't need to see any more from Chuck.

Some good news today...

Bomar will start versus Tulsa.