May finally get a new PC (finally!)

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

May finally get a new PC (finally!)

Post by At Large »

I first got my PC that I currently use in 1997. If you can believe it, the computer was $1500 for a Pentium 333 and a 17-inch Monitor. Since then, I've completely replaced the motherboard, upgraded to a 1.7 Celeron, upgraded the video card twice (from 8 megs to 32 meg to 128), upgraded the sound card twice. Frankly, the only thing original with this PC is the fan, the power supply, the case and the monitor. Everything else has been replaced.

With that said, I was overjoyed at how well my 1.7 Celeron was working up until a few months ago. Sadly, performance has peaked and I can no longer multi-task the way I used to. I don't know if it's just because the memory or processor are wearing out or if it's just the residual effect of upgrading from Windows 98 to XP and all of the registry junk I must have over the years.

To my great delight, I found out that we get a Dell PC discount from my new job. Also, I can get it paid for by our credit union with the payments taken out of every check.

I mentioned it to my unsympathetic wife and basically demanded that she let me do this. Unbelievably, she didn't say no! She didn't say "yes" either, but that's about as good as a "yes" in our marriage. As long as she doesn't have to hear me talk about it, she's fine with it.

I'm drooling over the possibilities, but as with any PC technology are there any suggestion for configuration. I'll probably do this in October, after our house that we sold has closed. I plan to spend only $1000.

By my current configuration, I can get a 3.0 Pentium, 256 meg ATI X300 video card, 250 gig hard drive and 1 gig of RAM. Anything that I need to keep in mind when I finally build it and submit it in October.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Well? Did you get a new PC?
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

As of yet. No. Wife is back to luke warm. (sigh) Although, she is going to entertain it "when we see what our monthly budget will be" once we move into the house we're building.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

One place I'd look to cut costs would be with hard drive space. If it makes a big price difference, you can scale back from 250 gigs. If you fill up 60-100 gigs really fast, then you'll probably need more than 250 anyway. I personally would look to expand your storage as needed, for example with USB external hard drives.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Yeah, I'd have to agree with PSUFan on this. You can cut back on Memory and HD space to save money up front. I would say a 40 or 60 Gb drive and limiting yourself to 512Mb of ram will. You can also go with a cheaper 128Mb video card.
This is what i did for my PC. I started with a good base PC made for office use (40Gb drive, 256Mb ram and built in video card). Then I added a new video card, some Ram and a new Drive as money became available. Besides once you have the PC, its easier to ask for a $100 item then it is to ask for $700 up front.
SG's Son
Has BODE

Post by SG's Son »

I need a full gig of memory so I can run and download as many beat-off movies at one time as I can.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

I'm now trying to talk her into a DIT bare bones that comes with new processor, video card, case, fans, and RAM etc.

It's more than half the price of a new one and I just port my media drives, hard drives, sound card, usb card and network card over.
David_Copperfield
The Wizard

Post by David_Copperfield »

dude...GET THIS and keep the monitor you have. This pc kicks much butt. I bought one in January and I LOVE it...i have upgraded the graphics card and added a gig of memory because of my 3d animation programs but trust me. it's a STEAL for that much machine at such a great price!

I bought mine at best buy...funny how it was cheaper to buy it at best buy than through Gateway itself.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

David_Copperfield wrote:dude...GET THIS and keep the monitor you have. This pc kicks much butt. I bought one in January and I LOVE it...i have upgraded the graphics card and added a gig of memory because of my 3d animation programs but trust me. it's a STEAL for that much machine at such a great price!

I bought mine at best buy...funny how it was cheaper to buy it at best buy than through Gateway itself.
that deal would be pretty hard to beat.