What happened to Mike Sweeney?

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

What happened to Mike Sweeney?

Post by War Wagon »

I used to mercilessly pile on this guy for his lack of defensive prowess at 1st base. I mean, this guy seemed to botch every other routine grounder or pop fly hit his way.

I'm watching the game right now and he made a couple of nice plays on tough chances. I've seen many of them so far this season. They then throw up a stat showing that he'd only made one error all season, and I'm like WTF? :shock: :?

I have no idea what he did to improve his glove work, but whatever it is, it should be bottled and sold over the counter.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Well he's probably going to get traded and if his contract is up that may explain the sudden fondness with defense, along with his hitting.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

His defense has been leaps and bounds better this season. He's hitting really well too. Putting up the numbers he is in this Royals lineup is rather amazing. Imagine what he'd do in the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, etc. lineup.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:If the Royals can get SOLID young prospects for Sweeney from a West Coast-contending team, it's probably best for the team for them to pull that trigger.
Royals will get marginal prospects because the trading team would have to take on his monstrous contract. The man isn't worth that much money.
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

The Mets are also in the running, since he isn't as much of a defensive liability, and Mientkiewicz has no power and can't hit for average or OPB... and don't leave Los Angeles out of the mix, as their 1B platoon of Saenz & Choi ain't much to behold.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:Royals will get marginal prospects because the trading team would have to take on his monstrous contract. The man isn't worth that much money.
Based on his slugging and hitting percetages, some team WILL trade for Sweeney and HAPPILY take on his huge contract. Just look at his production with absolutely NO protection whatsoever in that lineup- a team like the Rangers or Angels would LOVE to have that guy with the badass hitters each of those teams have.
What? You mean to say that Emil Brown isn't considered adequate protec...oh, wait.

Actually, my money is on the Rangers. :x
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

Will the Royals trade away Sweeney though? He's the only face this franchise has right now. Are they worried about the PR hit?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

[trollingorc] Not surprisingly, the very fucking day that I give Sweenpussy some begrudging props, she strains her uterous once again, and misses the next two games. [/trollingorc]
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Fuck Sweeney. The sooner he is gone, the better. Its no secret here, that Im not a fan of the guy. Never have been, and never will be. All of this of course, is due to the current climate of MLB.

Sweeney is a good guy. Damn good hitter. Decent in the field, when he brings the glove instead of the skillet or pingpong paddle. But he is not, has not, and will never be a leader. Sweeney is the ultimate role player, but in no way, a gamer. He often finds it easier to see reasons why he should not play, instead of doing what ever it takes, to play.

The problem in all of this is ...... as much I have called Sweeney a pussy in the past, I realize now, that he isnt. He is what he is. A very gifted hitter, with mediocre fielding skills, that is being forced to be the face of an entire team. He wants no part of that, and looks for every little reason NOT to be. However, with things as they, he is forced into the situation that he is in.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

I've seen the future, and it's got a really big ass.

KKKK <--- typical day at the office for my man, Calvin (save your Ken Harvey e-mails, clones ... I'm not going to read them.

Pass, thank you very much ... I'll hang on to that 29 jersey a bit longer, I think, and enjoy the Sweeney career in Royal blue while I can.

Lima; however, is another matter.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

kcdave wrote:Fuck Sweeney.
You didn't have to go any further.

The cunt is now in the process of sitting out her 4th straight game.
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

KC Paul 3.0 is by far the best release.

Rack 3.0
go get your knife
Crack Whore

Post by go get your knife »

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

go get your knife wrote:The Mike Sweeney Story
I laughed.

I cried.

I laughed some more.

74 home runs? :?

Who's the troll?
Prototype
Elwood

Post by Prototype »

RACK this troll.
Archive.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Prototype wrote:
RACK this troll.
Archive.
I was all set to RACK the troll as well, until facts got in the way of fantasy.

I still give it half a rack.
Vizzini

Post by Vizzini »

War Wagon wrote:until facts got in the way of fantasy.

I still give it half a rack.
Someday... I'll sit ya down and explain the whole comedic satire thang. I found it to be rather brilliant... its prolixity notwithstanding.

Ohhh and btw -- Sweeney has sucked donkey balls for well over a month now. 1 HR and 9 RBI since May 10th... with his injury that translates into only 23 games, I believe. Still... it's horrible.