TKO

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

TKO

Post by Softball Bat »

NoVax got *doinked* by a water bottle at the Italian Open.
Went to the ground for 20-30 seconds, and was said to be bleeding.
Said he did not sleep well that night.

Here a look at it...

Two days later NoVax was upset by Alejandro Tabilo.
Rolled in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3.
Not close.

Roland-Garros starts in less than 10 days, and neither Nadal or Djokovic are in good form.
Rafa was routed in Rome by H. Hurkacz 6-1-6-3, which I believe is his worst ever loss on clay.

:popcorn:
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: TKO

Post by Carson »

Somebody flopped at an Italian sporting event?

I am shocked.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

Raider fans went to the Italian Open?

From chucking batteries to bottles.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Softball Bat wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:45 pm Roland-Garros starts in less than 10 days, and neither Nadal or Djokovic are in good form.
Nadal won’t get past two matches at this rate, he’s not 100% and doesn’t have a lot of matches under his belt. Djoker hasn’t been playing great all year really.

Sprinkle in the fact that Sinner and Alcaraz are limping into RG with injuries, this could be one of those years an unseeded South American gets his mancard (think Guga Kuerten in the 90s, among others).
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Why aren't there more clay courts in the US? I don't really buy the conventional wisdom that clay courts never caught on in the US because they cost more to maintain. I've seen only clay courts in Colombia and Buenos Aires. If Colombia can afford clay courts, the US can too.

Anyway, tennis on clay is great. US tennis players are really missing out.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

L45B wrote:Nadal won’t get past two matches at this rate, he’s not 100% and doesn’t have a lot of matches under his belt.
I've watched highlights of some of Rafa's recent matches, and he's not looking good.

He looks stiff, slow, and is often found out of position.

Unless his draw is really favorable at the French, I agree that he'll be lucky to get to the 2nd week.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:49 pm Why aren't there more clay courts in the US? I don't really buy the conventional wisdom that clay courts never caught on in the US because they cost more to maintain. I've seen only clay courts in Colombia and Buenos Aires. If Colombia can afford clay courts, the US can too.

I personally was never comfortable on clay. My results were never as good on clay.
But clay is a nice change of pace, and it is actually probably easier on the body than a hard court is.

Clay courts require steady maintenance.
They have to be swept and watered often.
If not, the surface becomes very fugged up.

I suspect a lot of the "dirt" courts in other countries are just that... like dirt. And they are fugged up.
Not well maintained.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

When are they going to switch to pickleball? Much more grace and athleticism required.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Mikey wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:47 am When are they going to switch to pickleball? Much more grace and athleticism required.
Lol, definitely some athleticism required if it’s a long walk to the car (or golf cart), to then drive to the pickleball courts.

But once there, uhhh no.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
dan's college room mate
Jake

Post by dan's college room mate »

Softball Bat wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:49 pm Why aren't there more clay courts in the US? I don't really buy the conventional wisdom that clay courts never caught on in the US because they cost more to maintain. I've seen only clay courts in Colombia and Buenos Aires. If Colombia can afford clay courts, the US can too.

I personally was never comfortable on clay. My results were never as good on clay.
But clay is a nice change of pace, and it is actually probably easier on the body than a hard court is.

Clay courts require steady maintenance.
They have to be swept and watered often.
If not, the surface becomes very fugged up.

I suspect a lot of the "dirt" courts in other countries are just that... like dirt. And they are fugged up.
Not well maintained.
It’s simple economics, which why a utopian commie like screwball doesn’t get it.

A hard court has a high material cost up front with minimal upkeep.

A clay court has minimal up front material costs, assuming the local soil makeup is right.

So in the US, they’d rather just pony up the capital costs and not have to worry about paying a person trained in proper clay upkeep. In a place like NYC he’d be a union city employing likely making close to 6 figures.

In Columbia it’s likely built and maintained by local tennis players for nothing. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's Colombia you fucking idiot. And their "public" clay courts are maintained by city employees. They're not public in that anyone can just walk onto them and play any time, but the public is allowed to sign up and book time.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
dan's college room mate
Jake

Post by dan's college room mate »

Don’t much care how it’s spelled, and maybe they are city employees.

But the economics are the same. Labor is cheap, so they take advantage of it.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

dan's college room mate wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 pm Don’t much care how it’s spelled, and maybe they are city employees.

But the economics are the same. Labor is cheap, so they take advantage of it.

You're not very bright. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

So what part of my reasoning are you questioning, outside of my ability to spell a country correctly?

As for the actual topic of playing on clay, I have no take. I've never even been on a clay court.

I have watched some of it and it is damn entertaining. Controlled sliding must be a difficult skill to master.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

smackaholic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:28 amControlled sliding must be a difficult skill to master.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

smackaholic wrote:I've never even been on a clay court.

I have watched some of it and it is damn entertaining. Controlled sliding must be a difficult skill to master.
The sliding/footwork issue is one reason why I was never real comfortable on clay.
If a player does not grow up playing on the surface, getting used to the footing is a hurdle.

The other issue for me on clay was that I did not play with a western, or even semi-western, grip.

Clay court tennis is a different animal than hard court tennis.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:28 amControlled sliding must be a difficult skill to master.
RACK

Sin,
Ray Fosse

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Softball Bat wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:20 am
smackaholic wrote:I've never even been on a clay court.

The sliding/footwork issue is one reason why I was never real comfortable on clay.
If a player does not grow up playing on the surface, getting used to the footing is a hurdle.

The other issue for me on clay was that I did not play with a western, or even semi-western, grip.

Clay court tennis is a different animal than hard court tennis.
For all the reasons you note against, Bat, are why I always preferred clay. In my younger (USTA) days, I had a western grip forehand and hit with an open stance on that side (hence why I’ve praised the Thomas Muster forehand in the past). That shot requires keeping the eyes on the ball through contact (as to not “pop up”) but then the right leg (as a right handed player) becomes the sliding anchor.

I didn’t realize early enough in life that, in the same way a baseball player does, tennis players also have a preferred “strike zone.” I noticed on clay, for me, that the extra height from the bounce was definitely my preference. When I’d play a hard court tournament the next week, it was sometimes easily frustrating. The pace and height of the ball are different, not just the footing.