ever hit a deer ?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

ever hit a deer ?

Post by Wolfman »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ani ... u#comments

I had many close calls back in CNY. There are some down here, but not enough for me to worry. Once coming back from night class at SUNY Oneonta, I stopped for a paraplegic man who hit one on NY Rt.23. I helped him get it into his station wagon. Clean kill, was probably the only way he would get free venison.My brother in Goshen NY can't grow anything as the deer eat up the gardens. Time for Ted Nugent and his bow hunters to thin the herd. Also--- remember seeing a lot of Moose Crossings signs in Maine. Certainly wouldn't want to hit one of those.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: ever hit a deer ?

Post by R-Jack »

I just snuffed out a squirrel this afternoon. No deer though
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Hit a bigass fucker coming back from fishing at the coast years ago -- head came through the windshield and the antlers cut my hand up, and the glass cut up my face. Spilled my beer everywhere, and got to drive 30 miles home in the cold with no windshield.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

1 in 313, huh?

Well fukk me!!! Looks like I am that dude.

About 5:30 in the morning, about this time of year, a very healthy buck, every bit of 200 lbs jumped in front of my Ranger, which, previously had been a fairly decent looking truck. Hit that fukker broadside, right in the center of the grill. Pushed the radiator back into the fan, crumpled the hood pretty well and set off my fukking airbag!!! Fortunately, I was a mile from home, so I turned around and limped home. Barrel rolled that fukker into the ditch. Should have brought him home, but he wasn't quite dead when I left and I didn't feel like wrassling with him.

I would have guesses that PA was number 1. I have never seen as many deer as I have driving across PA. It is absolutely littered with them. I suspect that WV is numero uno as it has absolutely no civilized areas, so pretty much everybody is likely to hit one.

As for wolfie's mention of hitting Moose. Yeah, that is a really bad idea. Moose are real big, real heavy and real tall. You hit one at speed and there is a fair chance you are getting crushed to death. Your grill just takes the legs out leaving half a ton or better of moose to test out your car's A pillar strength. Most cars don't do so well in this test, so assuming you don't have a full roll cage, you are SOL. If you are going to hit one, best to do it in a vette or ferrari or similar, at triple digit speeds. You'll still fukk up your car, but likely go right under him.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

PA really sucks as it appears they do not clean up road kill. I remember seeing a deer carcass on I-81 north of Scranton for years.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Wolfman wrote:Time for Ted Nugent and his bow hunters to thin the herd.
All those camo'd-up, Monster Energy drinking hillbillies are doing is causing the deer to flee the woods in a panic, thus crossing busy roads and getting blasted by cars. They won't leave their habitats if they don't have a reason to.

Bloody carcasses strewn up and down the highways are a pretty common sight 'round these parts. I haven't hit one, but have come pretty close a couple times. Had a rather harrowing experience driving through the UP at night a couple years ago in wintry weather. There were deer all over the fukking place like they were squirrels. Between those fuckers and the icy roads, I've never had my head on more of a swivel. After a short while I noticed they were only out to dine on all the salt that had collected on each side of the road, but that didn't stop me from white-knuckling my way through the rest of that trip.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

A family friend was riding his motorcycle in the Adirondacks when an deer hit him broadside, removing him from his bike as he was traveling at 55 mph. He damn near got last rites, spent three months in the hospital and swore off riding for a couple of years before he finally got back in the saddle again.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Time for Ted Nugent and his bow hunters to thin the herd.
All those camo'd-up, Monster Energy drinking hillbillies are doing is causing the deer to flee the woods in a panic, thus crossing busy roads and getting blasted by cars. They won't leave their habitats if they don't have a reason to.
Maybe the deer are hungry because they're overpopulated because Sara McLachlan and those herbal tea drinking hippies won't let Ted Nugent thin out the herds.

Maybe that's why they're venturing onto highways to eat median grass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Nah, there's enough forest here for those furry bastards. I agree population control is important but let's not act like scaring all the deer out of the woods is making us motorists any safer. There is a reason vehicular accidents involving deer always hit their peak during........wait for it........deer hunting season. Maybe it's just coincidence.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:There is a reason vehicular accidents involving deer always hit their peak during........wait for it........deer hunting season. Maybe it's just coincidence.
There's also a reason that deer hunting season occurs in late fall. Because that's when deer are in rut.

They would be out roaming, looking to get laid, regardless of that dipshit with a rifle up in the tree stand freezing his balls off. Nature calls.

Never hit a deer myself but have had many close calls. Wifey has hit two, both times totaling out the car. Deer are numerous in these parts and I've got many friends and co-workers who schedule vacation around deer season. I'm not one of them, though I was that dipshit up in a tree stand once.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

My how time fly's. I thought had posted this QOTSA clip much more recently but had to go back over 2 years in the music forum to find it.

Very appropriate for the subject matter and the tune doesn't suck either. In other words, watch and listen to the damned video, fuck sticks.

Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

War Wagon wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:There is a reason vehicular accidents involving deer always hit their peak during........wait for it........deer hunting season. Maybe it's just coincidence.
There's also a reason that deer hunting season occurs in late fall. Because that's when deer are in rut.
You have a lot to learn about culling deer.

Sin,
Wolves for 10,000s of years.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Moving Sale wrote:
War Wagon wrote:
You have a lot to learn about culling deer.

Sin,
Wolves for 10,000s of years.
Wags was merely pointing out a fact to mgo, who apparently is as stupid as you are when it comes to this subject. Congrats, dumbfukks, wags made you look stupid at something.

Oh, and wolves, in case you didn't get the memo have been banished from 99.7% of their former territory.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

My pops took me deer hunting for 3 seasons back in the 80s. The hunting sucked, the camp food and booze were better. Never saw a deer worth shooting at in 3 seasons. Fuck that shit, I've got Wegmans.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yeah, ANyone that says they hunt because it is a cheaper way of getting groceries is full of shit. You do it for the experience. Much more practical to hit up the local grocer for your eats.

That being said, venison Jerky you killed/dried yourself is fukking epcot.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:

They would be out roaming, looking to get laid, regardless of that dipshit with a rifle up in the tree stand freezing his balls off. Nature calls.
Don't know when they schedule gun deer season in your neck of the woods, but up here in God's Country it wraps around Thanksgiving. Nine days Saturday through the following Sunday. The rut is pretty much over by then. Bow season starts mid-September and the bowhunters get to hunt during the rut.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote:Don't know when they schedule gun deer season in your neck of the woods, but up here in God's Country it wraps around Thanksgiving. Nine days Saturday through the following Sunday. The rut is pretty much over by then. Bow season starts mid-September and the bowhunters get to hunt during the rut.
Firearms season this year from 11/12 thru 11/22, always a 10 day window and always just before TG. Archers get over 2 months of open season.

But don't get caught taking a deer in any manner w/o all the proper permits or MODC will hang your ass like a deer carcass and bleed you dry.

IIRC, average deer harvest during rifle season in Missouri is about 55,000 a year. Not sure how that compares to other states but that many less road hazards is a good thing. And like 'holic mentioned, deer jerkey (and sausage) is better than anything you can buy at Walmart.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Another point worth mentioning is that an awful lot of deer hits take place before or after dark. Mine did. And Ricky and Dwayne are not allowed to hunt during this time, well, legally, anyhoo.

Not saying that no one has ever hit a deer that was spooked because it was being shot at, but, most cases are just deer doing what deer naturally do when threatened by a large fast moving threat, such as a Ford Ranger, and that is to run like hell. And for some fukking reason, they always think safety lies on the other side of the road. Stupid fukks! :evil:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:Another point worth mentioning is that an awful lot of deer hits take place before or after dark.
Another point worth mentioning is that 100% of deer hits take place before or after dark.

But I'm glad you mentioned it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I really do need to start proofreading. :oops:

What I was thinking, was "before dawn or after dark".
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:What I was thinking, was "before dawn or after dark".
What you meant to mention is that deer in rut are most active in the 30 minutes before sunrise and the 30 minutes after sunset. Call it an hour to be safe.

So for motorists during deer season, that's the time to be most alert for Bambi smashing thru your windshield.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

A moose bit my sister once.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:
smackaholic wrote:What I was thinking, was "before dawn or after dark".
What you meant to mention is that deer in rut are most active in the 30 minutes before sunrise and the 30 minutes after sunset. Call it an hour to be safe.

So for motorists during deer season, that's the time to be most alert for Bambi smashing thru your windshield.
Or Dinsdale.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

"Hey Rocky, wanna' see me pull a rabbit outta' my hat?"

Bullwinkle resets will never get old.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Nor will Monty Python resets.