Big 12 Scheduling Problems

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Big 12 Scheduling Problems

Post by Left Seater »

I have heard and maybe the OU fans can confirm that there has been a behind the scenes talk of OU and UT helping WVU with any fines if they just up and leave now. The above article seems to support that as well, without the monetary support.

If true and WVU does leave this Big 12 scheduling issue is nothing compared to what the Big East will face in trying to schedule games for this fall.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:The courts/Big East need to decide on West virginia!
Not sure what needs to be settled. The exit clause clearly stated 27 months notice prior to leaving the league. WVU agreed to this. Their suit, filed in WV, is totally baseless.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:The courts/Big East need to decide on West virginia!
Not sure what needs to be settled. The exit clause clearly stated 27 months notice prior to leaving the league. WVU agreed to this. Their suit, filed in WV, is totally baseless.
Not only that, it was WVU's counsel's office that actually drafted the exit clause provision in the Big East bylaws.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I believe it was WVU and Pitt if I am not mistaken.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Left Seater wrote:I have heard and maybe the OU fans can confirm that there has been a behind the scenes talk of OU and UT helping WVU with any fines if they just up and leave now. The above article seems to support that as well, without the monetary support.

If true and WVU does leave this Big 12 scheduling issue is nothing compared to what the Big East will face in trying to schedule games for this fall.
You hit on the key point. If WVU leaves next year, the Big East drops to seven members for football and will lose 1-A accredidation. For that reason, I don't think the Big East would accept any amount of money, even an outrageous sum, to let West Virginia leave next season. 2013 is probably another story, though, in that UCF, SMU, Houston, Boise State and San Diego State are all coming in that year.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I thought I read somewhere that Missouri had to pay somewhere around $15 million to leave the Big 12. I'm not certain if the Big 12 had the clause that the Big East has, but if WVU wants to be in the Big 12 this season, then they're probably looking a good chunk of change above $15 million to leave, and I will bet Marinatto and company won't take it. It would be wise not to.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:The cool thing is Missouri will make that much money in 15 minutes being an SEC member. :grin:
No doubt about that. However, they run the risk offalling back a bit record wise with the move up.

WVU is facing the same thing going to the Big 12.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

My personal thought is WVU stays with the Big East until 2013.

However, let's imagine for a second that WVU just tells the Big East to screw. lawsuits will follow and then at the end of the day WVU will owe more money to the Big East. Say that it is 30 million. They could just ask the Big 12 to front some of their TV money. plus if OU really is in a bind on games, what is another few million help get them into the conf now? Same for Texas, they could scratch out a 5 million dollar check and maybe WVU plays three seasons in a row in Austin.

As for the exit from the Big East it is my understanding that WVU wrote a letter sayin they wanted to leave immediately and as such included 5 million upfront that thhe conference cashed months ago. Included in the letter was wording stating that if the Big East agreed with the early exit they should deposit the money. If they did not agree with the early exit the money should have been returned to the school. When the conference did deposit the money, WVU's position is that the conference accepted the terms and a new deal was in place.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I don't believe the league ever cashed the alleged $5 million check.

There isn't a price tag that is going to get WVU out early. I don't even think the $30 million you mentioned would be enough.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Oklahoma is in a larger predicament than the rest of the conference. Not Only does WVU present a scheduling issue but TCU was on the schedule as Non-Con game next season. OU is now scrambling for at least one game and more likely two.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Left Seater wrote:My personal thought is WVU stays with the Big East until 2013.
Agreed, although Big East rules, if enforced, would require them to stay until 2014. I think the ultimate end game is that the Big East lets them go one year early (but not two) in exchange for some extra money above and beyond the standard exit fee.
However, let's imagine for a second that WVU just tells the Big East to screw. lawsuits will follow and then at the end of the day WVU will owe more money to the Big East. Say that it is 30 million. They could just ask the Big 12 to front some of their TV money. plus if OU really is in a bind on games, what is another few million help get them into the conf now? Same for Texas, they could scratch out a 5 million dollar check and maybe WVU plays three seasons in a row in Austin.
If that were the case, and I'm representing the Big East, I'm in court to ask for a temporary injunction requiring them to stay in the Big East at least for the 2012 season. In order to get the temporary injunction, the Big East would have to show two things: (1) risk of irreparable injury if the injunction is not granted; and (2) some likelihood of success on the merits in the underlying action. I think the Big East could meet both of those requirements.
As for the exit from the Big East it is my understanding that WVU wrote a letter sayin they wanted to leave immediately and as such included 5 million upfront that thhe conference cashed months ago. Included in the letter was wording stating that if the Big East agreed with the early exit they should deposit the money. If they did not agree with the early exit the money should have been returned to the school. When the conference did deposit the money, WVU's position is that the conference accepted the terms and a new deal was in place.
What I heard is that the check was for half the exit fee. I'm not aware of any letter stating what you said. As I understand it, West Virginia is basing its position on TCU (recall TCU was going to join the Big East next season), which wasn't subject to any waiting period. Of course, the big difference between them was that TCU was not yet a Big East member but WVU is. Fwiw, TCU did pay the exit fee to the Big East, even though an argument could be made that the exit fee didn't apply to TCU. Of course, had TCU reneged on the exit fee, they likely would have wound up in litigation with the Big East, with a possibility of ultimately losing.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I know WVU used the TCU card in its lawsuit, but as mentioned by Terry, they were not a current member of the Big East at the time of their announcement to the Big 12.

WVU can use that defense all they want, but it will not help them.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

What you guys are saying makes sense, but just wondering why we keep hearing down here that WVU is more likely to move this year and pay whatever penalty the Big East / courts impose. There are plenty of articles just like the linked one above implying the same thing.

I understand why the Big East must have them play in 2012, but why go to such lengths to keep them beyond next season? They clearly want no part of the conf and have said plenty of derogatory things about the conf. Luck even said in a Houston radio interview that they are considering removing all Big East logos from uniforms, stadiums, media, etc by March. He did acknowledge that there would be fines, but they would only be in the $120,000 range. Further it won't look good if WVU continues to win the conf in football. Say they win it again this season which is very likely, the current three consecutive champ would be leaving. That doesn't help with future AQ status if there is such a thing going forward.

Is there something I am missing between Luck and the Big East?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I don't think you can put a price on WVU leaving.

Something tells me that the Big East can argue (and easily win this) that WVU leaving will cost them tens of millions of $$$$ on tv revenue since the tv deal is about to expire. WVU will also be ranked to start the 2012 season, so that will help the Big East from a perception and AQ status standpoint as well. Bottom line is that Marinatto is rightfully holding the teams to the clause they signed. I just find it funny how WVU has cried about the league falling apart when they were openly trying to get an SEC invitation, which also blows their lawsuit out of the water.

Not so sure I'd give the the Big East title to WVU just yet though. Louisville was very young in 2011 and they won at WVU. I look for them to be the team to beat in 2012 in the Big East.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Left Seater wrote:Is there something I am missing between Luck and the Big East?
I'm not sure about the full story on this one. To be honest, I don't see a ton of advantages for WVU in moving to the Big XII.

Obviously, there's the geography issue. The nearest conference rival in their new conference (Iowa State) is 870 miles away. Athletically, they'll have to find a new home for at least one of their sports teams (Big XII doesn't sponsor mens' soccer). And assuming they'll continue annual series with both Pitt and Maryland OOC (they may need to do that, so that it gives them one road game per year close to campus), that leaves only one open OOC date per year available.

I know they wanted out of the Big East, and I know that both the ACC and SEC said no. I'm not really sure why they wanted out of the Big East so badly, though. Maybe they panicked and thought the Big East would die without Pitt, Syracuse and TCU. Or maybe Pitt was the only thing keeping them in the Big East to begin with. But neither of those explanations begins to account for the acrimony surrounding their departure from the Big East.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

What were you saying about Big 12 scheduling issues? If multiple reports are true it looks like Lefty had some pretty good info.

Multiple outlets are reporting that WVU to the Big 12 is official on July 1, 2012. Local radio says WVU will pay $11 million, OU will pay $4.5 million, Texas will pay $3.5 million, and the conf will pay $1 million for a total of $20 million. More and more reports here had WVU being included in Big 12 this season. Guess the Big East saw the writing on the wall and took the payday now rather than fight a lawsuit long term. plus with their new lineup not exciting many people the next TV deal will likely not break the bank.

Another local report says WVU was working the basketball only schools to pressure the conf to let them out now. The thought being this might push control of the conf back to the basketball only schools from football.

I feel bad today for South Florida, but that's it.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

If Boise does come in this season, then I would think that's a better deal for the the Big East.

If the lawsuit dragged out, then WVU wouldn't have won, but the league wouldn't be getting the reported $20 million it is.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MuchoBulls wrote:If Boise does come in this season, then I would think that's a better deal for the the Big East.

If the lawsuit dragged out, then WVU wouldn't have won, but the league wouldn't be getting the reported $20 million it is.
Mucho, last I heard was that Boise said it couldn't join this season. Do you have info to the contrary?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Boise will get their buyout money from the Big East settling with WVU. There is no other reason to settle with WVU unless you have a back up plan.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/0 ... t_wac_2012
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Fuck the Big12

MU went to Big12 and said, fuck this, let's sign a blood oath for 20 years. Let's make this work. OU,Texas,and aTm, said FUCK NO. So, MU started the wheels in motion, and when OU and Boren announced they were looking at a possible move, MU got their out, and moved on.

no one wants to be left sitting with their dick in their hands, when OU,Texas, etc are gone. And from the guy who gave us the info on MU to SEC(texas tech Booster), he says Texas and/or OU will be in Pac12, before the 2014 season has started. And rumors are, while everyone has agreed to 6 year pact, it hasn't been signed into action. Big12 remaining teams will merge with Big East, eventually, after the OU,texas situation is over(leaving). Still a whole lot to play out.

SEC will be getting their #15 and #16 in next few years. So the musical chairs will continue to play.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

God, you’re a tedious asshat, ‘del. And your predictions are shit.

You wanna blame the League? You wanna blame Texas? Your take sucks.

Mizzou wanted out.

Period.

Regardless of the XII’s ministrations. It began with their courtship of the B1G last year. The XII is now better than it ever was.

They didn’t consult the west side of the state when they made this decision – the side that sends its True Sons to play for Ol’ Mizzou. Unlike you people. Good thing, since our high-schoolers regularly wipe the floor with the best you people have to offer every year. Even Pinkel expressed surprise at the push-back he got for the move on this side of the state...

Our move to the SEC is horseshit. You can spin it ‘til the crows take roost, but we made a horseshit move into a horseshit league. SEC people do not operate in the real world. I hate the B1G, but at least a move there would’ve made sense. This doesn’t. And color me unsurprised that you people spear-headed the move.

Dumbasses. St Louis couldn’t find it’s ass with both hands. Fuck you people.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Truman

Deaton went to Big12 members and asked them to sign a 20 year blood oath to keep the conference alive. OU,Texas, and aTm, said NO. Then aTm made their notions about leaving, MU waited, then when OU and Boren came out, and had a presser to announce they were exploring their options, MU then decided to start the process of securing their future. If that means blaming Texas,OU, or aTm, then so be it.

MU fans were a huge reason Deaton and others decided the move to SEC, they were hammered by MU fans,grads, boosters to get the fuck out, before it comes crumbling down. And the Big East is your only option. The emails,letters, phone calls to go to the SEC was overwhelming. Even the KC BOC admitted, he was shocked at how many were in support of cutting ties to Big12.

The stupidity begins, by claiming MU flirted with Big10, MU never made contact with Big10, never. DeArmond asked the Gov, Nixon, if the Big10 expands, would he like to see MU be the #12, and he answered the question. NO ONE from the University of Missouri has ever contacted the Big10 about expansion. All propaganda and lies from the KC media, hell bent on keeping MU in the Big12. Let's also add the lies from KC media, about MU talking to Big10, while they made the SEC wait for their answer. All lies by KC media.

The Big8 is dead, get over it.

2011-2012 recruting: 2 kids from KC metro(steward,Boehm), 4 kids from St.louis metro(sherer,newsome, ka'ra stewart, Golden(went to Affton HS))

It's not my fault Coach Ford is a horrible recruiter, and a horrible Secondary coach. Don't blame me, blame Pinkel, for keeping him as his St.louis recruiter. They should of hired Mike Jones to coach LB or secondary, especially with his major ties to St.louis metro area and the high schools. He would seal the st.louis borders. Let's not act like KC keeps their kids at home, 2 kids this year???? what happened???
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

but the kid from Staley HS is a beast, adel.

You'll see.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

stewart looks like he will be a very good player

And with No Josey, and Murphy coming off an injury, there will be carries for Stewart. Watched him play CBC at the dome, he can make plays.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

WVU and the Big East settled, so the Big XII will not have any scheduling issues for the upcoming season.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote:WVU and the Big East settled, so the Big XII will not have any scheduling issues for the upcoming season.
Now they gotta wonder how long the Big 12 will be a functional conference.
It could function for a long time, but they'll probably find a way to ruin it.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I got the feeling that the PAC 12 really didn't want Texas and OU some months ago. Not sure that the Presidents of the Pac 12 schools would change their tune down the road.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MuchoBulls wrote:I got the feeling that the PAC 12 really didn't want Texas and OU some months ago. Not sure that the Presidents of the Pac 12 schools would change their tune down the road.
At least right now, I think the biggest threat to the Big XII going forward would be Texas going independent. I think the LHN might be a sticking point in negotiations with any prospective new conference.

Btw, Mucho any word on Boise joining the Big East next year? From what I've heard, the WAC has given them the go-ahead to put their other sports programs in the WAC beginning next year. And reportedly, $5 million of WVU's $20 million buyout was for the purpose of securing Boise's buyout from the MWC. The only remaining obstacle could be a requirement that Boise might have to add 1-2 OOC games next season to offset the fewer conference games in the Big East. Of course, WVU recently bought out its road game obligation to Florida State, so Boise possibly could jump in there. Boise-FSU is definitely an intriguing matchup.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I was told today that we should have our schedule completed in the next "week or two". I didn't ask about Boise, but my hunch is that it's going to take this amount of time to get their other sports set up in the WAC and also get 1 other OOC game for the 2012. FSU would be an intriguing matchup, but I am not so sure the Seminoles want to return a game there. If FSU wasn't already on our schedule this year I know we'd have asked to play them, but I believe we will get another series with them down the road.

I think Boise State's buyout is going to be higher than $5 million because of some television rights, but the Big East can cover that as well.

My assumption would be that Boise just picks up the same league schedule that WVU would have had.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: WVU recently bought out its road game obligation to Florida State,
The Mountaineers are throwin' around some cash lately!
It was only $500,000. However, FSU had threatened to ask for more if a "suitable" replacement was not found.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MuchoBulls wrote:I was told today that we should have our schedule completed in the next "week or two". I didn't ask about Boise, but my hunch is that it's going to take this amount of time to get their other sports set up in the WAC and also get 1 other OOC game for the 2012. FSU would be an intriguing matchup, but I am not so sure the Seminoles want to return a game there.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I thought FSU already played at WVU. If Boise is just going to step into WVU's shoes on that deal, that would make it a one-off at Tallahassee, wouldn't it?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

This year was the first of a home and home between FSU and WVU.