Big 12 Threat?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

BlindRef
Fuck State

Big 12 Threat?

Post by BlindRef »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257088
he Big 12 has drawn a line in the sand for at least two member schools.

The conference, amid a chorus of story lines that would all significantly change the face of big-league college sports, has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

The Big 12's university presidents decided on imposing the ultimatum, two highly placed officials within two of the conference schools said, according to the newspaper.

I don't understand what the consequences are. So if Nebraska and Mizzou say on Friday "We're staying" Then in 2 weeks takes an invitation to the Big Ten, what can the Big 12 do about it?
Those who stay will be champions.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Big 12 Threat?

Post by King Crimson »

BlindRef wrote: I don't understand what the consequences are. So if Nebraska and Mizzou say on Friday "We're staying" Then in 2 weeks takes an invitation to the Big Ten, what can the Big 12 do about it?
i think "re-committing" brings into play a prohibitive, jacked-way-the-fuck-up exit fee ($$$).
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

In the end there is nothing the Big 12 could do except force the two schools to pay the exit fee.

The ESPN story is an expansion of the story late yesterday in the Austin American Statesman. Local radio also had a story that said OU was driving this bus and is upset that Nebraska seems to be walking away from the long time rivalry/partnership with OU.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

How in the hell can either state an official "intention" when they haven't even been offered anything "officially" yet?

This BS has gone on way too long with no end in sight. I know every school has to do what's best for their own selfish interests, but my hope is that Mizzou and Nebraska will both tell the Big Ten to go take a hike.

My further hope is that the Big XII will negotiate better TV contracts to make staying more lucrative and that they'll start sharing the revenue equally, or at least more equal than it is now.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

War Wagon the problem with the Big 12 and TV is they don't have huge TV markets. That makes it tough to get top dollar. Waco, Lubbock, Stillwater, College Station, Ames, the little apple, Columbia, etc.

Regardless of the play on the field the Big 12 will likely never have the Big 11's TV deal.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Every time, every post Lefty makes sense.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Left Seater wrote:Nebraska seems to be walking away from the long time rivalry/partnership with OU.
OU walked away from the rivalry when they said "kiss our ass we're Texas' rival" when the Big 8 took in the remains of the probation infested SWC.
Osborne has never forgiven them.
Most logical Nebraska fans feel they same way.
No love from OU then, we owe them nothing if we bolt.
I promise you this is about Texas calling the shots since the birth of the Big 12 when in reality, they were looking for a home in 1996. The Big 8 bailed them out along with the rest of the Texas teams that were guilty of violations with the exception of Baylor and Rice who weren't part of the plan.

SWC history, the final years:
"The 1980s saw many of the conference's athletic programs hit by recruiting scandals and NCAA probations.The only programs to escape probation in the 1980s were Arkansas, Baylor, and Rice.

OU forsaked NU to put their tongue down UT's throat.
Osborne has a long memory.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Cornhusker wrote: OU forsaked NU to put their tongue down UT's throat.
BS. OU has been playing UT for 100+ years. Not like it's a new thing. It's NU fan who lacking a "true rival" since 1996 has latched onto this weird piece of revisionism and retrogressive spite. OU didn't want the OU-NU series to end but had very little "pull" during the mid 90's mired in mediocrity (and worse)....and got shipped to the South division with the North on the rota. how it is you blame OU for NU not standing its own ground is a bit perplexing.

If anyone pissed on the "rivalry" it's NU's very own Bill Callahan.

i think your post is misguided Cornhusker.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:
BS. OU has been playing UT for 100+ years. Not like it's a new thing. It's NU fan who lacking a "true rival" since 1996 has latched onto this weird piece of revisionism and retrogressive spite. OU didn't want the OU-NU series to end but had very little "pull" during the mid 90's mired in mediocrity (and worse)....and got shipped to the South division with the North on the rota. how it is you blame OU for NU not standing its own ground is a bit perplexing.

When the conference was formed ALL the schools were asked to desiginate a team whom they prefered to play annually.
OU picked Texas, NU picked OU.
That is a fact.
So, OU had very little pull when 4 new teams are entering an established conference and they (Texas) magicial have All the pull?
OU hitched their wagon to UT and inspite of the 100+ years of playing Texas, shit on a conference brother.

How did Callahan have anything to do with the structure of the divisional makeup when it was a done deal long before he arrived...? After all, anything to do with the history of NU/OU was dosed with the death of an annual game. Rivalry or not. That was OU's decision.

Nebraska played OU in 1912 BTW.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Cornhusker wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

When the conference was formed ALL the schools were asked to desiginate a team whom they prefered to play annually.
OU picked Texas, NU picked OU.
That is a fact.
So, OU had very little pull when 4 new teams are entering an established conference and they (Texas) magicial have All the pull?
OU hitched their wagon to UT and inspite of the 100+ years of playing Texas, shit on a conference brother.

How did Callahan have anything to do with the structure of the divisional makeup when it was a done deal long before he arrived...? After all, anything to do with the history of NU/OU was dosed with the death of an annual game. Rivalry or not. That was OU's decision.

Nebraska played OU in 1912 BTW.
if OU picked Texas, that should tell you something. your conclusion is to embed it within a NU=good guy always and forever mythology while out hunting scapegoats in the current situation. Me, as OU fan, tells me that OU considered UT their #1 rival. OU and NU had a great run in the 70's and 80's. but those 20 years of great football are just that: 20 years. it's not the century of hate with OU and UT.

I don't even see how if OU had chosen NU how that escapes the division set-up and rotation of opposite divisions.

the OU-NU rivalry was pretty healthy in 00 and 01 as I recall. two important national games. wasn't until your boy Callahan that the "rivalry" took a negative turn from it's "rivalry based in respect" roots. that's my point.

NU doesn't have anything like OU-UT. we both know Bill McCartney invented the CU-NU thing in the mid-80's. what you are doing is taking a historical fact, OU and UT have hated each other as border states, as top football programs for a long, long time....and revising it such that it fits your interpretation of current "facts" (that OU weaseled out of the NU rivalry to suck up to Texas). an interpretation i disagree with....we've been living with UT and "how they do" for a lot longer than Dr. Tom.
"
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:if OU picked Texas, that should tell you something. your conclusion is to embed it within a NU=good guy always and forever mythology while out hunting scapegoats in the current situation. Me, as OU fan, tells me that OU considered UT their #1 rival. OU and NU had a great run in the 70's and 80's. but those 20 years of great football are just that: 20 years. it's not the century of hate with OU and UT.

I don't even see how if OU had chosen NU how that escapes the division set-up and rotation of opposite divisions.

the OU-NU rivalry was pretty healthy in 00 and 01 as I recall. two important national games. wasn't until your boy Callahan that the "rivalry" took a negative turn from it's "rivalry based in respect" roots. that's my point.
I don't begrude OU's rivalry with Texas, I realize UT is and has always been your rival, my point was based on Left Seater's comment on NU's sacrifice of the "rivalry" / series. It was ended with OU's decision. Fine, we've accepted that as it is. It wasn't NU's doing, thus we have no allegiance with the series any longer, thus moving to the Big 10 causes no remorse for NU fan as quite frankly, a game with OU won't matter to us in the future. It is unfortunate as I was raised on that being our "game" each year.
The series was epic starting in 1959. Not just the 20 years as you stated.

KC we can get along just fine on this board as we always have, but as God is my witness, if you ever coin Callahan as "my boy" again, I'll haul my old ass to wherever you may be and do my ever loving best, to kick your's!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Cornhusker wrote: my point was based on Left Seater's comment on NU's sacrifice of the "rivalry" / series. It was ended with OU's decision. Fine, we've accepted that as it is.
i agree that the OU/NU partnership is not one of the things up for grabs in this latest confabulation...so, that's not in NU's court re: a move to the Big 10 if it were to happen. you are right.

i, too, grew up on OU-NU. Went to all the games in Norman from about 78-90ish. I still know it was Brent Burks who jumped off-sides in 81 or 83, that Turner Gill was always going to convert that 3rd and forever with his feet, and was in the North EZ for the Keith Jackson reverse. My pops used to go pheasant hunting in NE when the game was up there with some NU buddies. sounded like the greatest time ever to me. hunt pheasant for a few days, drink beer and talk football, go to the OU-NU game in Lincoln.

we're good CH.
"
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:. hunt pheasants ALL SEASON, drink beer and talk football, go to the OU-NU game in Lincoln.

we're good CH.
This my friend ,WAS my life! :D
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Cornhusker wrote:I promise you this is about Texas calling the shots since the birth of the Big 12 when in reality, they were looking for a home in 1996.
I get what you're saying here, I really do. I just don't think you'll find Michigan and tOSU any better to you as overlords. Just sayin'.

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to the Big Ten.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I get what you're saying here, I really do. I just don't think you'll find Michigan and tOSU any better to you as overlords.
Who gave that cunt Terry's password?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Here I was not putting much cred into that radio report and then to see all this excitement here makes me rethink it.

I can see where NU might be pissed in that OU decided to partner with Texas from the moment that the Big XII was still on the drawing board. OU went with Texas and ATM on the Prop 48 issue and since then it seems they have been joined at the hip since. Plus, I am guessing that if OU had the decision to make over again they would do it exactly the same way. No?

I also understand why NU doesn't feel much loyalty to the Big XII.

My view is this, if Texas and OU miss out on the first round of re-alignment they will still land in a great spot. NU and MU right now are one notch lower. They want to make sure they end up in a great spot and are taking the bull by the horns to make sure the don't miss the boat. If they were left out of the first round of re-alignment they could end up in a less than ideal situation.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

KC Scott wrote: The best Irony would be to see the PAC 10 schools pick up an Eastern Division and then OU / Texas be forced to share the revenue equally anyway.
i'm not necessarily in favor of a de facto Big XII South/Pac East move, but reports in Boulder are the rev share there (Pac 16) would be about 20 mil a year vs. UT leading the Big XII with 11 mil in 09. OU with around 10. doubling your TV revenue is a pretty easy pill to digest in the name of irony.
"
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Left Seater wrote:My view is this, if Texas and OU miss out on the first round of re-alignment they will still land in a great spot.
No doubt, but I promise you Texas feels the pressure if NU leaves the conference. This will in all intense and purpose end of the Big 12.
With do disrespect intended to other member teams, the north division will be meaningless from an economic TV revenue stand point and thus the credibility of the conference overall.

Texas needs Nebraska to stand pat. Otherwise THEIR conference will fail and they'll find it a hellva lot tougher to wheel power in the PAC 10 and they know it. Their own TV network will be impossible to swallow by PAC 10 schools and that is Dodd's baby.
And to believe Bebee claims NU and MU now have a timetable is laughable. What's the conference gonna do?....ban them? They CANNOT fine them as contracual agreements are not in place for such action based on the ongoing circumstances. All NU and MU have to do is stay put till the 24 month release date. However everyone involved will agree to a buy out due to upcoming TV contacts prior to that end date.
This is all coming from Texas through Bebee who is no more than a Texas puppet.
And Osborne knows it.

You're correct Lefty, the Prop 48 issue was the start of the anomosity between NU and Texas. And the rest of the dwafts had no power to stand up to the bully.
Now Osborne is and will pull the rug out from under Texas as payback. Not only for 48, but for the league offices in Dallas, the new 3 year deal with the championship game in Dallas, and the extra play last December.

To prove Texas' arrogance they just announced they'd demand Baylor to replace Colorado in PAC 10 expansion. And they believe they'd take their other bitch schools (Tech and Okie St.) along for the ride...really Texas?...you think those academic juggarnauts will fall in line with Stanford and Cal and the PAC 10 regents?
The PAC 10 will take UT and OU in a heartbeat, but to think the South 6 all go is not gonna happen. So Texas is just throwing out this scenerio to attempt to scare Nebraska and blindfold their bastard schools into a bright future who continue to eat their scrapes...and the Texas legislature isn't likely to allow Texas to bolt from the little sisters that have kissed their ass for so long. So in the long run, Texas will probably be forced to add the likes of Houston and TCU to fill the gaps of Nebraska and Mizzou leaving..that is to say if Mizzou gets the invite. Yeah, that'll be an attractive conference.

And to pretend their independant of UT, A&M claims interest in the SEC...funny how the Texas schools are scrambling. UT and A&M are joined at the hip, forever.
Hey Deloss....so you're gonna finish this huh?
I really believe Osborne will finish this.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Don't think for a second that any other school in the conf wouldn't do the same thing if they were in Texas' shoes. Also don't think that Texas can do this all alone, cause if OU or ATM didn't agree they would be unable to wield such power.

Texas had zero to do with this Baylor vs Colorado talk. This is coming from some state legislators who don't want their school or the main economic engine in their district to find themselves tits up.

If Dr Tom is out for some sort of revenge then NU and NU fan should watch out cause revenge clouds the judgement. And don't forget Texas couldn't have done those things without OU, so Dr Tom should be as pissed at OU if not more. They way you are talking about this makes it sound like NU was the bully of the neighborhood until a stronger faster kid moved in (Texas) and they are now taking their ball and going home. Granted I don't think NU sees it exactly like you say, Texas doesn't have all the power.

I would also say at this point that OU and Texas are more of a sure thing than Texas and ATM are. Texas and ATM will play a season ending game each season regardless of if they are in the same conf, see Florida State and Florida.

Granted neither one of us know for sure what will happen, but it is fun to play like we do. :D
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

" Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have fucked with? That's me."

Sincerely,

Tom Osborne

Rumor mill in Huskerland is saying that Tom Osborne's final goal in life is to achieve sweet, sweet revenge on Texas. :twisted:
SEC Ballsucking Homer
Meatgrinders 'R Us

Post by SEC Ballsucking Homer »

Sudden Sam wrote:I've been trying to figure out how the SEC would benefit by expanding. Who would we pick up?
Rack the "WE" qualifier!

Oh, and anything short of the Patriots, Colts, Saints and Vikings would be a disgrace to OUR conference.
There is no other conference.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Fuck Nebraska and fuck its little puppet Missouri. If they want to leave and go to the Big 10, go. I could give 2 shits about either school. Wherever Texas ends up, we will be just fine. I guarantee that the PAC-10 or the SEC is praying that Tom Osbourne let's his pride get in the way of a proper decision. Nebraska likes to think of themselves as the top of the heap...well, they aren't. They had a nice run in the 80's and 90's until they had to compete with Texas, and they got beat. Osbourne cannot stand to lose and he has been getting his ass kicked since the Big 12 started.

Texas was against partial qualifiers. Nebraska wanted guys who couldn't score 700 on the SAT. Here is a novel concept....Student Athletes. That is the whole point of college. If you cannot get a 2.0 in your core classes and get over 700 on the SAT...hello fastfood career. Once the ability to recruit was taken away from Nebraska, they fielded shit teams. I mean really, if you are a kid and you have Texas, USC, OU and Florida knocking down your door to play football, would you go to Lincoln Nebraska? Exactly.

Nebraska and Missouri do have one thing in common when it comes to Texas football...they each have 1 win against Texas since the Big 12 was formed. Goodbye NU, it was fun kicking your ass for the last 15 years. Good luck against OSU and Michigan.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Harvdog wrote: Texas was against partial qualifiers. Nebraska wanted guys who couldn't score 700 on the SAT. Here is a novel concept....Student Athletes. That is the whole point of college. If you cannot get a 2.0 in your core classes and get over 700 on the SAT...hello fastfood career. Once the ability to recruit was taken away from Nebraska, they fielded shit teams. I mean really, if you are a kid and you have Texas, USC, OU and Florida knocking down your door to play football, would you go to Lincoln Nebraska? Exactly.
uh, nebraska started fielding shitty teams once their hall-of-fame coach retired. probably has more to do with reality than your screed does. and really, fuck tom osborne for assuming his university belongs to a conference and not some fiefdom lorded over by a guy who stuck a trailer park in his north end zone.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Harvdog wrote: Texas was against partial qualifiers. Nebraska wanted guys who couldn't score 700 on the SAT. Here is a novel concept....Student Athletes. That is the whole point of college. If you cannot get a 2.0 in your core classes and get over 700 on the SAT...hello fastfood career.
Uh....Vince Young?
Really? I was not aware of that. Can you send a link from the NCAA Clearinghouse showing what his grades were?

The issue is simple and it goes back to the formation of the conference. There were several disagreements between Nebraska and Texas. The biggest was academic qualifications. Texas said no to Proposition 48 recruits, and Nebraska wanted them on an exception basis. When they voted on the issue it was 11-1. The only vote was Nebraska because they knew how much their 1995 MNC team relied on Partial Qualifiers. TO knows this and he knows that he cannot compete without it. The Big-10 allows partial qualifiers. Texas voted for the use of JC players that started Prop48 but they had to make the grades to be admitted. Since the formation of the conference, I cannot think of 1 JC transfer that has come to Texas.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

KC Scott wrote:The other alt is Big 12 is also talking about expanding if the lose MU / NU - the names mentioned today - Utah / BYU / Louisville / Cinn
I'm struggling to see how Louisville or Cincinnati would benefit from going to the Big XII. I realize that geography is hardly the be-all/end-all with respect to conference expansion, but there is still a disadvantage to being the geographic outpost of one's conference. That's what Cinci and Louisville would be in the Big XII. Granted, the Big East isn't exactly a perfect geographic fit for them, but at least Pitt and West Virginia are in relatively close proximity, USF is a long-term conference rival, and Syracuse and UConn are considerably easier roadies than Colorado or Texas Tech, just to name a few, would be. Throw in the following facts: (a) Cincinnati and Louisville are relatively recent comers to the BCS level; (b) they would be subject to a considerable Big East exit fee, which the Big XII, unlike the Big Ten, doesn't have the resources to offset; and (c) the Big XII potentially would remain an unstable conference even in the face of such expansion; and I just don't see it. BYU and Utah are a different story, although they only make geographic sense if Colorado remains. And Utah may be unavailable if they wind up joining the Pac-10 along with Colorado, which possibility apparently is still on the table.
H4ever wrote:Rumor mill in Huskerland is saying that Tom Osborne's final goal in life is to achieve sweet, sweet revenge on Texas. :twisted:
I've heard from multiple sources that the Big Ten will stop its expansion at one should ND ever say to them, "we're in." So in addition to the reasons I posted previously, I'd be very, VERY cautious in my dealings with the Big Ten were I Tom Osborne. At a minimum, he should have a very frank "what about ND?" discussion with Delany, as well as a separate, frank conversation with Swarbrick about ND's intentions before jumping. Otherwise, Osborne is risking that his ultimate legacy will be the AD who got played like a fiddle, with Nebraska winding up in the MWC as a result.
Sudden Sam wrote:I've been trying to figure out how the SEC would benefit by expanding. Who would we pick up? Clemson? Why? Florida State? Maybe...but no TV market. Miami? Please. No way. They don't fit at all. Georgia Tech? That would work, but do they draw big in Atlanta's TV market? Nope.

So, in my thinking, the SEC doesn't need to expand just because other conferences are doing so. The TV money is already there. The stadiums are full. 4 NC in a row. Why expand? The Pac 16 would be a bigger threat than the Big 12 or Pac 10 is now? How so? The Big Ten (or whatever) would be a more formidable challenger to SEC supremacy? How the hell would that work?

I don't see any need whatsoever for the SEC to add teams. Maybe dump South Carolina and Arkansas...and pick up Oklahoma and Texas? I could see that. :D
From what I've heard, Texas has no interest in the Meatgrinder. You're more likely to get aTm and Oklahoma. Of course, if that happens, you do realize that Auburn and Alabama prolly wind up in different divisions, don't you? :wink:

As for Florida State and Miami, one advantage they would bring, collectively, is to more or less close off the State of Florida to the Meatgrinder alone.

While you're probably right in saying that the Meatgrinder has no need to expand, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that MIke Slive simply wants to keep up with the Joneses. For that reason, the SEC might very well do it if the Big Ten and Pac-10 do it.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Harvdog wrote:Fuck Nebraska and fuck its little puppet Missouri. If they want to leave and go to the Big 10, go. I could give 2 shits about either school. Wherever Texas ends up, we will be just fine.
TexASS logic at it's finest.

Mizzou is nobodies puppet and Texas was dogshit when the Big 8 reached out and helped you lil' fellers get over the fence.

Go fuck yourself, shorthorn cocksucker.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

War Wagon wrote:Mizzou is nobodies puppet and Texas was dogshit when the Big 8 reached out and helped you lil' fellers get over the fence.
You're a fucking idiot, Wags. First year of the Big XII's existence Texas won it, so spare me the rescue efforts bullshit with regard to the Big 8 and Texas.

No matter what ends up happening, Texas will come out ahead of Nebraska. Osborne may be doing this on a personal level but it will surely back fire without OU and Texas on their schedule every other year. Mizzou is an afterthought when trying to recruit with the likes of OSU, Michigan, and Penn State. All those Texas recruits??? Forget it. They all will follow the burnt orange trail.

In the end, Mizzou is fucked.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Go Coogs' wrote:In the end, Mizzou is fucked.
You say that as if it isn't already true.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Thaks for the
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Go Coogs' wrote: You're a fucking idiot, Wags. First year of the Big XII's existence Texas won it, so spare me the rescue efforts bullshit with regard to the Big 8 and Texas.
not sure that 96 team is proof that UT wasn't aided immensely by the formation of the Big XII in the long haul. That team DID lose to a John Blake OU team that won exactly 2 other games and went winless in Norman.
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

H4ever wrote: Rumor mill in Huskerland is saying that Tom Osborne's final goal in life is to achieve sweet, sweet revenge on Texas. :twisted:

So if Texas leaves first or CU takes a Pac 10 spot tomorrow, then Dr Tom gets runover by Texas again. Seems like a sad position for Dr Tom to be in.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Left Seater wrote:
H4ever wrote: Rumor mill in Huskerland is saying that Tom Osborne's final goal in life is to achieve sweet, sweet revenge on Texas. :twisted:

So if Texas leaves first or CU takes a Pac 10 spot tomorrow, then Dr Tom gets runover by Texas again. Seems like a sad position for Dr Tom to be in.
Colorado leaving to the PAC 10 sticks it in Texas' ass and the Baylor plea. Nebraska could give a shit.
Ultimately, Texas will always be hated by the Baptists if they bolt at any point after that..that will leave Taco Tech out as well...more anomosity in North Mexico's borders.
Don't forget, Texas will not govern a league, nor have their our TV network if the go to any other conference.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Sudden Sam wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: From what I've heard, Texas has no interest in the Meatgrinder. You're more likely to get aTm and Oklahoma. Of course, if that happens, you do realize that Auburn and Alabama prolly wind up in different divisions, don't you? :wink:
Of course Texas isn't interested. They make their money regardless of where they are and they have no desire to play an SEC schedule. If you could choose between the Big Ten or SEC...or Pac Whatever and SEC...what would you do? Pretty easy decision if you wanna play for a NC.
Spoken like Van, at least when the topic is ND and the Big Ten. Only in about 1,000 fewer words.

Btw, it will be interesting to see how Van spins it if Texas chooses the Pac-10 over the SEC, in light of what he's said about ND's refusal, thus far anyway, to join the Big Ten.
I'd like to see the SEC split AU and UA into separate divisions. Play the Iron Bowl and then play again (possibly) in a conference championship game? WOW!
Two games in back-to-back weeks? I think that series would lose a lot of interest on the national level, in that event.
Sudden Sam wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:While you're probably right in saying that the Meatgrinder has no need to expand, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that MIke Slive simply wants to keep up with the Joneses. For that reason, the SEC might very well do it if the Big Ten and Pac-10 do it.
I don't know. I think Slive holds the best hand in this entire scenario. He may be the ultimate decision-maker amongst all parties.
I used the phrase "keep up with the Joneses" mainly because it appears doubtful, at this point, that the SEC will make the first move. But in the end, I think the SEC will have as much, if not more, impact on what the landscape looks like than anyone else. Imho, if the SEC expands to 16, you'll wind up with four superconferences (maybe five, if the MWC can get to that point). OTOH, if the SEC stands pat, I think things will look pretty much like they do now, except that you'll see maybe 15-20 teams in FBS changing conference alignment, and the biggest change of all being maybe that the Big XII will cease to exist.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Btw, it will be interesting to see how Van spins it
"Interesting" and Van in the same sentence?

C'mon now...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:I'd like to see the SEC split AU and UA into separate divisions. Play the Iron Bowl and then play again (possibly) in a conference championship game? WOW!
Two games in back-to-back weeks? I think that series would lose a lot of interest on the national level, in that event.
I don’t think that series has that much interest on a national level.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Big XII fans,

Any truth to the rumor I'm hearing that the MWC offered Colorado?
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

That would be the best place for them.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Big XII fans,

Any truth to the rumor I'm hearing that the MWC offered Colorado?
a lot of talk about it and some opinion pieces in the Denver Post, but CU fans *hate* the idea. I don't see it happening unless CU doesn't get a Pac offer and the Big XII collapses. the Texas perspective is to play down what CU offers (and they are at a nadir in Men's rev sports in my lifetime) but CU brings a lot to the table in terms of the Denver market and an "academic fit" despite what the Baylor lobbyist yahoo and Kenny Starr are saying (much of which is totally inaccurate).
"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

King Crimson wrote:a lot of talk about it and some opinion pieces in the Denver Post, but CU fans *hate* the idea. I don't see it happening unless CU doesn't get a Pac offer and the Big XII collapses. the Texas perspective is to play down what CU offers (and they are at a nadir in Men's rev sports in my lifetime) but CU brings a lot to the table in terms of the Denver market and an "academic fit" despite what the Baylor lobbyist yahoo and Kenny Starr are saying (much of which is totally inaccurate).
So if the Pac takes the Big XII south and MU/NU bolt, where's CU going if not the MWC?

KU may be extending you all an invite to the new Missouri Valley. Where Northern Iowa is king in basketball.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Degenerate wrote:KU may be extending you all an invite to the new Missouri Valley. Where Northern Iowa is king in basketball.
Wild rumor I heard today . . .

Big East may offer Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State.

I guess this presupposes that: (a) Big XII bites the dust; and (b) Big East loses 1-2 teams.

I can't see the Big East continuing to survive in its present form if it loses 3 or more teams. OTOH, if the Big East doesn't lose any team, this move doesn't make sense, at least not by itself. That would leave the Big East at 11 football members, why not add a 12th for a CCG?

I'm pretty sure KU basketball would prefer the Big East to the MWC, which otherwise would be its likely destination. And while it seems to me that the Big East conference should not, at a minimum, include any schools west of the Mississippi, the Big East schools aren't any more of a road trip for these schools than San Diego State, or even UNLV, would be.