Retirement update

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Retirement update

Post by Mace »

Not that anyone gives a shit....but, substitute teaching is a sweet racket and a great way to supplement a pension. Can't speak for other states but, in Iowa, you can take 20 classroom hours (if you have a college degree) and be able to teach middle school and high school for up to 5 consecutive days in the same classroom. Cost for the classes is $100 + the cost of state licensing and background check. I worked 15 of the 20 school days in February and have worked the first 3 days in March. I dropped off my resume at 5 area schools and they are keeping me busier than I'd really like to be. The pay ranges from $85 to $95 a day and, if you want to take a day off, you just tell them you can't work that day. Anyone looking to retire and working parttime as a substitute teacher might want to check it out. I'll also be starting up a lawn care business in a month or so and have already contracted the mowing for one of the local schools and have submitted a bid for mowing city property in one of the small towns in the area. I'll pick up 8-10 private lawns to mow, coach the high school baseball team, take some cash off some retired guys at the golf course, and I'll be making at least as much money as when I was working full time for the state of Iowa. I highly recommend the stress free life of retirement.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Retirement update

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I believe Rumplelawn bids out her snatch shaving - you might check with her. Be careful though, seeing as the Ax Men turned down the job due to safety risks.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I believe Rumplelawn bids out her snatch shaving - you might check with her. Be careful though, seeing as the Ax Men turned down the job due to safety risks.
Sorry, but I've only got a 54" deck on the mower.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

KC Scott wrote:Props Mace and Congrats. It's great to be able to stay just as busy as you want to be.
Yeah, I was a little worried during the month of January that I wouldn't get enough work but that has not been the case.
I didn't work today because I had a baseball meeting and it's my birthday. No work tomorrow due to a doctor's appointment. It's really nice working when you want and not having the stress of a career job. Blood pressure is back to normal and I feel 10 years younger. Hope all of you guys make it to retirement and enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed my first two months.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Mace,

I feel you deserve more than most, a happy and fulfilled retirement. Those of us that have spent time in the law enforcement endeavors, understand what true peace is.

RACK you for all of your efforts and time spent in the service of the public 'good'. And here's to you and yours, for all the sacrifice and time spent, that most people will never understand.

Be happy and know that there are some of us out there that really do understand what the lifetime of work you have done has meant to all of us.

Congratulations my freind,....you deserve it.

Scott
What were we just talking about?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mace,

Congratulations on your retirement. I imagine it’s only a matter of time before you and your wife start wearing matching outfits and hitting the buffets at 5 PM.

If you’re teaching a class, I’m guessing it’s in Animal Husbandry, what with your PhD and all.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mace wrote:I've only got a 54" deck
Is it black? Oh, never mind.

-Pikkkle
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mace wrote:substitute teaching is a sweet racket
Obviously you're not teaching in an inner-city high school.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Mowing is a lot easier than shrimping.
Signed,

Baby-sitting, errr-- substitute teaching can be easy money if you're in a good school. I'm the science lab technician at Edison State College and minimal contact with students is fine by me after 32 years in front of the class.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Sounds like things are going well Mace. The fact that you're actually making more than you did before makes the whole thing even sweeter.

I've thought about getting into teaching when I retire. Wish I could move things up but I'm pretty much stuck at the grindstone at least until the kids are done with school.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mace wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I believe Rumplelawn bids out her snatch shaving - you might check with her. Be careful though, seeing as the Ax Men turned down the job due to safety risks.
Sorry, but I've only got a 54" deck on the mower.
that's bush hog territory there and that's prolly pushing a bush hog pretty hard.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Thanks to all, and Rog, I know that you have first hand knowledge/experience about my former profession and that very few people really appreciate what we do. That's okay, as nobody does the job expecting any recognition or thanks from the public.
No, Goobs, I've not taught a class in Animal Husbandry but have taught a livestock class on a couple of occasions.
S_M, there are no "inner city" schools in Iowa....at least none that would compare to inner city schools in any major city. They couldn't pay me enough money to take a sub job in any of those schools.
James: If I'd spent over 30 years as a school teacher, I wouldn't be subbing now. Teaching in the classroom is a new experience for me and I'm only going to be doing it for a few years, not a lifetime. So far, it's been enjoyable.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If you'd spent 30 years as a school teacher you'd prolly be subbing in law enforcement.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mikey wrote:If you'd spent 30 years as a school teacher you'd prolly be subbing in law enforcement.
Or be in a mental institution.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mace wrote:
Mikey wrote:If you'd spent 30 years as a school teacher you'd prolly be subbing in law enforcement.
Or be in a mental institution.
Somehow Wolfman is still flying under the radar.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Toddowen wrote:You need to consult m2 on how "you can" really retire. :meds:

To many angry people retire "in" Iowa.

The TRUTH!!!
Sorry,Todd, but I don't understand what you're saying here.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen IS m2.

Or at least channeling him like a mofo.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Mace wrote:I'll also be starting up a lawn care business...
Mace, you're one bad mofo.
Sin,
Agent Fu
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

I'm in my 22nd year of teaching and the only thing that keeps me positive are the good kids I have and the time on the golf course as the golf coach....
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Laxplayer wrote:I'm in my 22nd year of teaching and the only thing that keeps me positive are the good kids I have and the time on the golf course as the golf coach....
I understand what you're saying, Lax. Anyone who spends 33 years in the same profession grows a bit tired of the daily grind and, if you're a government worker, of the bureaucratic bullshit. Being a substitute teacher is a breath of fresh air for me and I'll do it until I grow tired of it....a few short years, but hardly making a career of it like you. Having good kids in the classroom is a real positive but, as a sub, I'm at the mercy of the regular teacher who either does, or doesn't, have discipline. I've already run into a few situations where the kids think I'm a prick, and many others where they think I'm okay, but it seems to me that the difference is if their regular teacher has impressed appropriate expectations on them for classroom behaviorand performance. The best part about having a bad day is knowing that I won't be in that same classroom the next day.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Mace wrote:the kids think I'm a prick
They think you're a prick?

If they read this board they'd know you are a prick.

Twatlips.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Mace, I agree 100% and it further perpetuates itself when you have administrators, counselors, parents, and other teachers that enable these kids and continue to make excuses for them.

I had a teacher come into my room last week and tell me that one of the kids on my golf team was acting like a bone head in her class. Well the kid was standing outside and I called him in....well she said, "Oh, no, don't do that I don't want him to know we're talking." I said, "Look rookie, I'll handle this in about 20 seconds." I called the kid in and said...."Hey genius what the hell is going on in her class? Wait, don't answer. It stops right now and if it continues you're suspended for a week and if it continues after that you're done for the year." She thanked me.

I just can't deal with these kids who think we owe them something and their helicopter parents who don't make them responsible.