Holy Shit - Prevailing Wage

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

KC Scott

Holy Shit - Prevailing Wage

Post by KC Scott »

My oldest called me tonight to say happy birthday to the old man.

During course of the conversation he told me the contractor he works for was going to be bumping Jack and the other 5 guys on the two crews he works up to $30 per hour for normal insulation activity and $60 per hour when they are running the spray in machine. He said it was Federal Money coming into the city and a mandate to get the Fed money was they had to pay prevailing wage - even though my son's team is non-union.

Holy shit -good for him but fuck us.

Amazing - as I was halfway trying to defend the stimulus until I heard this.

BO has gotta pull his fucking head out RFK
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Re: Holy Shit - Prevailing Wage

Post by .m2 »

Pssst....

I went bank... before I went bank.

Keep the cash fucking flowing.... I'll set a time and date.

m2 is $
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
MadRussian
Poop is Funny!!!

Post by MadRussian »

.m2 wrote:Pssst....

I went bank... before I went bank.

Keep the cash fucking flowing.... I'll set a time and date.

m2 is $

Go get a lava enema
thanks
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
P.J. O'Rourke.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

KC Scott wrote:My oldest called me tonight to say happy birthday to the old man.

During course of the conversation he told me the contractor he works for was going to be bumping Jack and the other 5 guys on the two crews he works up to $30 per hour for normal insulation activity and $60 per hour when they are running the spray in machine. He said it was Federal Money coming into the city and a mandate to get the Fed money was they had to pay prevailing wage - even though my son's team is non-union.

News flash....prevailing wage has been around for years..union or non union..does not matter...if it is Federal money, or bond money or any variation, you have to pay prevailing wage.

For those good wages, you are adding 35% to 40%, or MORE to the labor portion of the contract. Might be better to keep normal trade wages and put more people back to work ??? or get private business working again versus all the government work ??

It is only government money going to build government projects after all....that reeaaallly helps private business.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:My oldest called me tonight to say happy birthday to the old man.

Jesus dude, one sacred cow at a time. Though your story might have more impact if you told us what they were being bumped up from. Without that information, all you have are a bunch of objectivist harpies screaming incoherently.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Don't vote for politicians who are in the unions' pockets...

Duh.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

BSmack wrote:. Though your story might have more impact if you told us what they were being bumped up from. Without that information, all you have are a bunch of objectivist harpies screaming incoherently.
He was making $15 per hour and that was him running the crew - non-union

For the Fed Work / local - it will double or quadruple what he's making.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:
BSmack wrote:. Though your story might have more impact if you told us what they were being bumped up from. Without that information, all you have are a bunch of objectivist harpies screaming incoherently.

Nice. If he's smart about it, he'll try to live on the 15 he was already making and bank the rest. He could have himself a nice crib after all this stimulus money filters down.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

BSmack wrote:Nice. If he's smart about it, he'll try to live on the 15 he was already making and bank the rest. He could have himself a nice crib after all this stimulus money filters down.

Spoken like a true POS lib. Lets just print more money so some unskilled hack can have a nice "crib".

idiots.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Sirfindafold wrote:
BSmack wrote:Nice. If he's smart about it, he'll try to live on the 15 he was already making and bank the rest. He could have himself a nice crib after all this stimulus money filters down.

Spoken like a true POS lib. Lets just print more money so some unskilled hack can have a nice "crib".

idiots.
That's kinda harsh. Scott, is your son an unskilled hack?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

BSmack wrote:
KC Scott wrote:

Nice. If he's smart about it, he'll try to live on the 15 he was already making and bank the rest. He will again have himself a $ 15 dollar an hour job after all this stimulus money runs out and the private sector is still lethargic and unable to pay better wages.
FTFY.

So that money is now removed from the private sector, and the tax paying public gets 40% less for their tax dollars

More likely he will:

Blow it all on cocaine and beer.
New rims for his sled.
New tunes for his sled
$ 300 nights at the strip club.
Derron
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Holy - Prevailing Wage

Post by Left Seater »

If the Prevailing Wage is such a good idea, why not make it law?

The reason is simple, American consumers would revolt over the much higher cost of goods and services.

All a prevailing wage does is raise the floor for the least skilled in our society. If the laborer is now making $30 per hour, the supervisors, sales, directors, etc all see an increase in their wages.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Left Seater wrote:If the Prevailing Wage is such a good idea, why not make it law?

The reason is simple, American consumers would revolt over the much higher cost of goods and services.

All a prevailing wage does is raise the floor for the least skilled in our society. If the laborer is now making $30 per hour, the supervisors, sales, directors, etc all see an increase in their wages.
You do understand what the term prevailing wage means?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Left Seater wrote: If the laborer is now making $30 per hour, the supervisors, sales, directors, etc all see an increase in their wages.
Just a minute here Lefty....

Prevailing wage laws apply specifically to the trades. They are well over 500 different job classifications for various levels of the trades, and the rates vary on location and proximity to large urban areas, size of equipment and on and on.

The only benefit the employees you mention may see, is some type of profit sharing, since the prevailing wage jobs tend to generate good profits for the companies doing the work. If there is no profit sharing, then those workers will not see any appreciable increase in their salaries since they are clearly exempt employees.

The trades can have high school drop outs that have achieved journeyman status easily making $ 75 K or more per year if they can string together a full year of work. I know MANY former estimators, shop workers, and other exempt type workers say " Fuck this noise" and put the tool belts back on and start making a lot better money on the tools versus any white collar aspect of the job.
Derron
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Derron wrote:The only benefit the employees you mention may see, is some type of profit sharing, since the prevailing wage jobs tend to generate good profits for the companies doing the work. If there is no profit sharing, then those workers will not see any appreciable increase in their salaries since they are clearly exempt employees.
Wrong.

It's called wage compression and internal equity. When the minimum wage is increased or prevailing wages increase those job classifications it compresses or narrows the wage gap between those employees earning the minimum/prevailing wage and those just above them in classification, i.e., generally supervisors.

Example:
Minimum wage set at $6.00/hr.
Library Page earning $6.00/hr.
Library Asst earning $7.50/hr.
Library Aide earning $9.00/hr.

Minimum wage increases from $6.00/hr to $6.50, that narrows the $1.50/hr difference between the Page and the Asst and the $3.00/hr diff betw the Page and the supervising Aide. To maintain equity, the employer then increases the minimum pay rate for the Asst and Aide. IOW, preserving the wage gap. IOOW, increasing costs via government coercion rather than business necessity. Result, fewer people employed.
The trades can have high school drop outs that have achieved journeyman status easily making $ 75 K or more per year if they can string together a full year of work. I know MANY former estimators, shop workers, and other exempt type workers say " Fuck this noise" and put the tool belts back on and start making a lot better money on the tools versus any white collar aspect of the job.
Good for them.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Don't vote for politicians who are in the unions' pockets...

Duh.
Now they tell us! Who knew?

--California
You mean Arnie being in the prison union's pocket? Right? :doh:
Before God was, I am
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:
mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Don't vote for politicians who are in the unions' pockets...

Duh.
Now they tell us! Who knew?

--California
You mean Arnie being in the prison union's pocket? Right? :doh:
The fucking correctional union had CA by the balls a long time before Arnie got elected. Multiply the prison union by about 100 other unions and strangleholds and millions of illegal aliens and their bastard anchor babies and you might find the cause.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

JMak wrote:
Wrong.

It's called wage compression and internal equity. When the minimum wage is increased or prevailing wages increase those job classifications it compresses or narrows the wage gap between those employees earning the minimum/prevailing wage and those just above them in classification, i.e., generally supervisors.
Total and complete bullshit. You really have no idea how the game is played, do you ?

Any, any comparison between prevailing wage and minimum wage is so far out there, it proves you do smoke crack.
Derron
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Jack's trade is skilled, if you'd call insulating / weatherproofing a house a skill.

Yea, he needs to know what to do, how to do it and not fall into the machine as he's putting the bales into it :doh:
He also has to make sure the other guys actually get the shit done correctly to pass inspection so they get paid.

One thing - his boss, the owner of the company, is ecstatic over this.
While not hearing specifics - I have a hard time believing he's gonna be ecstatic over anything that isn't seriously increasing his margin on these jobs.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Derron wrote:Total and complete bullshit. You really have no idea how the game is played, do you ?
First, it's not a game.
Two, it's clear that you know nothing about compensation policy or strategy.
Three, you have no business even talking about this.
Any, any comparison between prevailing wage and minimum wage is so far out there, it proves you do smoke crack.
Yeah, we'll take your word on that, :meds: . The fact is that both work to increase the wage floor which ripples upward into the pay structure. Don't you understand why different job classifications are paid different wage rates?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Question for the libtards.

If it is a good idea to artificially inflate the wages of a select group of semi skilled folks, why not do it for everyone?

A buddy of mine that has a bidness doing playground installs runs into this boondoggle from time to time. His bottom of the barrel, ditch digger coffee fetcher all of a sudden is worth 30 bucks an hr. He likes it, cause he can bid these jobs REAL fukking high.

So, since the gubmint has decided that the minimum wage in this particular racket should be raised 200% or better, would it be a good idea to just do it across the board?

Let's see how a $30 minimum wage works out.

Fukkin' idjits.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Buncha ignorant fuckers up in here...

Blame the people you voted for.

But, I'll type slowly, since some of you have trouble figuring out basic shit...

Prevailing wage serves one purpose -- to keep the unions, who have purchased politicians, in business.

For the really slow people -- if every public contract went to the lowest bidder, unions, with their top-heavy administration, would never ever come in as the low bid, eh?

Light coming on yet, dumbasses?

Sin,
Dude Who's Worked Many a PW Job
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

BSmack wrote: Scott, is your son an unskilled hack?
Let's jut say the apple doesn't fall far from the fucking tree
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..