Rate your team's draft

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Rate your team's draft

Post by poptart »

2004 draft ... 5 years later.

For Oakland, this was the "Robert Gallery" draft.

In the days after the draft, the Raiders were given high marks for their effort.
Gallery was a can't miss choice at #2 overall.
On top of that they sought to beef up the line further by taking Jake Grove in the 2nd round.
Grove was another highly touted player as a center out of VT.
But he ended up being a very mediocre-at-best player for Oakland for 5 years before recently departing for Miami.
Schweigert in the 3rd was regarded as a solid pick.
Not so, however.

"Al showed good sense by beefing up the team where it needs it," was the general consensus among "experts" after this draft was over.

Oh well.

2004 Oakland Raider Draft
1 2(2) Robert Gallery OT IOWA
2 13(45) from Tampa Bay Jake Grove C VIRGINIA TECH
3 4(67) Stuart Schweigert DB PURDUE
4 3(99) Carlos Francis WR TEXAS TECH
5 2(134) Johnnie Morant WR SYRACUSE
6 1(166) Shawn Johnson DE DELAWARE
6 17(182) from New Orleans through Dallas Cody Spencer LB NORTH TEXAS
7 44(245) Compensatory Courtney Anderson TE SAN JOSE STATE
7 54(255) Compensatory Andre Sommersell LB COLORADO

Gallery flamed at LT, but he's settled in as a real good LG.
Grove was just fair.
Schweigert was sub-par and was one of Raider fan's favorite whipping boys because of his very "soft" play at safety.
The rest is pretty much total slop.

5 years later, I give this draft a D, and that may be generous.

Drafts like this are why Oakland has been a bottom-feeder for the past 5 seasons.

How'd your team fare?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/tracker/team

http://walterfootball.com/draft2004G.php

The second link is pretty interesting because it shows grades and comments from immediately after the 2004 draft, and then grades and comments from four years later.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Re: Rate your team's draft

Post by DallasFanatic »

Tart,

If you thought your teams draft was bad wait till I paste the garbage below.

2 11(43) from Buffalo Julius Jones RB NOTRE DAME
2 20(52) Jacob Rogers OT USC
3 20(83) Stephen Peterman OG LSU
4 25(121) Bruce Thornton DB GEORGIA
5 12(144) from Buffalo Sean Ryan TE BOSTON COLLEGE
7 4(205) from Oakland Nathan Jones DB RUTGERS
7 15(216) from Tampa Bay Patrick Crayton WR NW OKLAHOMA ST
7 22(223) from Dallas through Oakland Jacques Reeves DB PURDUE

This was a draft that left me scratching my head for quite a while. Stephen Jackson fell right into our laps in the first round and what do we do? Trade out!!!! That set the tone for the Parcell's era.

Julius Jones - Nothing more than a solid backup running back in the NFL. Parcell's tried his damdest to make him a serviceable starter, but when you just don't have it, you just don't have it. He's now playing with the Seahawks.

Rogers and Peterman - I lump them together because their career paths basically were mirror images of one another from what I recall. Touted as solid line players who would have immediate impact, both Rogers and Peterman both had injuries early and often in their careers. Rogers played some spot duty at center, but was shuflled aside with the emergence of Gurode. Peterman just flamed out and I have no idea where he plays, if at all.

Thornton - Who?

Sean Ryan - It looked like he'd be a nice compliment to Witten in a two tight end set, but the guy never flurished. Not sure where he ended up.

Nathan Jones and Jacques Reeves - I am lumping these two clowns together because they were Parcell's "you can never have enough cornerbacks." Well apparantly you can't, even if they do suck cack. Every game I watched it was the back of Reeves and Jones' jerseys on passing plays. Year after year until finally they let Reeves go to the Texans last year. Jones? Not sure where he landed. Probably Miami. (LOL)

Patrick Crayton - The most solid third wide receiver you can have. And we DRAFTED him. I still don't understand how you can be the third wide receiver with Owens and Roy Williams on the field and not get open every single play. It gets even worse when you think your tight end is also drawing double coverage. His role will step up this year with Owens departure, and will hopefully be his last with the Boys.

Overall, I grade this draft an F. Hell, I grade each and every pick an F too. Horrible draft by Parcells and Jones. Thanks Tart for making me relive this attrocity.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

2004 Steelers-

1 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (Ohio)
2 38 Ricardo Colclough CB Tusculum
3 75 Max Starks T Florida
5 145 Nathaniel Adibi DE Virginia Tech
6 177 Bo Lacy T Arkansas
6 194 Matt Kranchick TE Penn State
6 197 Drew Caylor C Stanford
7 212 Eric Taylor DT Memphis

As usual, they did not miss with their #1 pick. Ben will likely be leading this team for another 7-10 years and has already led them to 2 Super Bowls. You couldn't ask for much more out of a QB. Colclough showed some promise as a kick returner/CB out the gate, but never lived up to it. Now's he's a backup slappy on the Chiefs. Max Starks is an odd character. With his incredible size, everybody thought he'd be an RT. But he was a bust there. Only when he was moved to LT in place of an injured Marvel Smith did he start to show signs of being a long term starter in the league. The rest of the guys in this draft were never more than career backups/practice squad guys.

Overall I'd give this draft an B+ simply because of how Big Ben has developed. If Starks becomes a long term solution at LT, I'd bump that up to an A-.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Eagles draft:
Round Selection # Player Position Ht. Wt. School
1 16 (from SF) Shawn Andrews OT 6'4" 373 Arkansas
2 58 (Traded to SF)
3 89 Matt Ware CB 6'2" 209 UCLA ---Ware was a wasted pick at #3 as he never was able to become a true nickle back. He signed with Arizona but hasn't cracked their starting lineup nor does he seem to show up as a nickle back either.
4 129 J.R. Reed S/KR 5'10" 201 South Florida ---J.R. Reed showed some real promise with his speed and ability to hit- he was drafted to be the backup to Dawkins. But following his decent rookie yet he tore his knee climbing a fence. He eventually make a comeback, bouncing around with a few teams before singing with the Jets. The fact that he's still on the league is pretty impressive given the severity of his injury.
4 131 Trey Darilek OL 6'4" 301 Texas-El Paso ---Darilek has been cut by 3 NFL teams and was last seen in the CFL. He was a reach in the 4th round. He is a prime example of how the Eagles approach team building- bring in a ton of linemen, drafted and undrafted and see who fits their system best. They tend to miss out on some skills players with this approach.
5 162 (from KC) Thomas Tapeh FB 6'1" 245 Minnesota ---Thomas Tapeh was the team's FB for a season but never really improved after his rookie year. This is a position the Eagles have neglected since his release.
6 185 Andy Hall QB 6'1" 218 Delaware ---Hall was a reach at 6 and since he was a local guy, it seemed like more of a PR move since Hall was never really projected to be much of a pro- QB.
6 192 Dexter Wynn CB 5'9" 175 Colorado State ---Dexter Wynn was another speed guy they drafted to help with the return game but he became a liability because he couldn't tackle so he couldn't get on the field to play defense or defend on special teams.
7 227 Adrien Clarke C/G 6'4" 334 Ohio State ---Adrien Clark has been on 3 teams in 5 years. He's never started or been a true backup.
7 242 Bruce Perry RB 5'7" 196 Maryland ---Bruce Perry might have been a steal in the 7th round but the same issues he had in college (injuries) followed him to the NFL. He was very fast and capable of being a 3rd down back but couldn't stay healthy nor could he cut it on special teams.
7 243 Dominic Furio C 6'3" 295 UNLV---was cut after a year with the Eagles and hasn't been back in the league.
Overall the draft grade has to be a C- and that's only because of what Shaun Andrews has become. The rest of the players had minimal impact on the team at the time and are now either deep bench players on another team or not in the league.
packwin13
Elwood

Post by packwin13 »

This draft was pretty horrid for the Packers. I'm not sure what was worse, Carroll and Thomas being huge flops or the fact they traded up to draft a punter in 3rd round that only made it a season with the team (he was so bad they actually kept two punters on the roster that year)

1 25(25) Ahmad Carroll DB ARKANSAS
3 7(70) from Jacksonville Joey Thomas DB MONTANA STATE
3 9(72) from Washington through Jacksonville Donnell Washington DT CLEMSON
3 24(87) from Miami B.J. Sander P OHIO STATE
6 14(179) from San Francisco Corey Williams DT ARKANSAS STATE
7 50(251) Compensatory Scott Wells C TENNESSEE

Williams was decent and was traded for a 2nd round pick, and Wells is the starting center so I guess I would give this one a D.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

1:7 (7) (from Cleveland) Roy Williams WR TEXAS
1:30 (30) (from Kansas City) Kevin Jones RB VIRGINIA TECH
2:5 (37) (from Cleveland) Teddy Lehman LB OKLAHOMA
3:10 (73) Keith Smith DB MCNEESE STATE
5:8 (140) Alex Lewis LB WISCONSIN
6:7 (172) Kelly Butler OT PURDUE

Smith and Lewis are the only ones remaining from the draft. Williams was shipped off this year for a nice package of picks including the Cowboys' first...I'll hold off on my final call on that trade until that 20th pick is made. Jones had too many injury problems and was eventually let go...he now backs up Forte in Chicago. Lehman is in Buffalo...could never stay healthy in Detroit and like Jones, was eventually let go. No clue where Butler ended up...got some looks from the Lions but didn't stick. When they were here and performing well, Jones and Williams were the two best offensive weapons on the team. The trade Millen made to move down to get Roy so Cleveland could get Winslow worked out well for the most part. It was one of the few good moves he ever made.

The draft was an A- or B+ to me originally...it's no better than D+ with no impact players remaining. Lewis is a special teamer and Smith is a dime back at best. I know the pick this year they got for Williams doesn't directly factor into the '04 draft but it's more for Mayhew to prove he got a good return on that deal. It'll be an important pick in the re-re-re-re-rebuilding of this team.
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

Round Pick Overall Name Position College
1 5 5 Sean Taylor S Miami (FL)
3 18 81 Chris Cooley TE Utah State
5 19 151 Mark Wilson OT California
6 15 180 Jim Molinaro OT Notre Dame

C+

velocet
Th
PAT FAN

Post by Th »

1 21(21) Vince Wilfork* DT Miami (FL)
1 32(32) Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
2 31(63) Marquise Hill* DE LSU
3 32(95) Guss Scott S Florida
4 17(113) Dexter Reid S North Carolina
4 32(128) Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
5 32(164) P.K. Sam* WR Florida St.
7 32(233) Christian Morton CB Illinois

My rating in realtion to overall 'starting' talent, regardless of team they play for now.

Wilfork A+

Watson C-

Hill RIP (life jacket would have helped)

Scott C

Reid D

Cobbs D

Sam D

Morton ?

Overall rating: C-
Go Patriots! ! ! !
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

2 4(36) Junior Siavii DT Oregon: F One of a long line of D-Line busts. Couldn't even make the first cutdown for the cowboys last summer
2 29(61) Kris Wilson TE Pittsburgh: F hurt a lot - In SD now holding Gates jock
3 30(93) Keyaron Fox OLB Georgia Tech: F See Wilson. Kris - Now with Steelers where he recorded 1 tackle in 2008
4 9(105) Samie Parker WR Oregon: F another Oregon Faggot waste - Now with the Seahawks handing out towels
4 30(126) Jared Allen DE Idaho St: A+ of course he's with the Vikings now
6 30(195) Jeris McIntyre WR Auburn: F Who? Out of league
7 30(231) Kevin Sampson OT Syracuse: F Was a fast lane to the QB here - Riding the Pine in Washington

Overall grade F-