Whats in your bag

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Zyclone
HTTR

Whats in your bag

Post by Zyclone »

Just changed Putters reluctatly. Dumped my Yes! for a Scotty Newport 2. Mizuno MX 950's Hibore XLS Driver, Hibore 3-wood, Cleveland Wedges along with a Cleveland Tour bag but my favorite new club is my Bobby Jones H4 Hybrid! Wow The best fairway club ive ever hit!

Also whats your favorite course you play on a regular basis?

The OAK!
http://huntersoak.com/?page=1296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a nice article on Hunters Oak.
If you appreciate a strong, complex, single malt scotch...
If you can extend the metaphor to a golf course...
If your ego can disconnect itself from score....
Hunters Oak near Queenstown is so tough and so demanding that head professional Bill Horney sounds almost defensive when discussing it. "In four years of standing behind this counter, I've had a lot of customers shooting bullets at me," he says. It is likely, however, that the people taking those shots at him weren't shooting straight with their clubs, either.
Story continues belowAdvertisement
Hunters Oak is a golf course that medium or high handicappers may automatically dismiss as unfair, but they might change their minds if they played it more than once. If you have time for only one round, go somewhere else. Hunters Oak is daunting, confusing, challenging, exhilarating, maddening...and that's just the first hole. But, give it time and study, and Hunters Oak could have the stuff of a lasting, although frustrating relationship.
Hunters Oak is a Scottish style links design by Ian Scott-Taylor -- a winding myriad of mounds, swales, blind shots, tight landing areas, water hazards, knee-high rough, double fairways, bunkers-en-echelon, greens guarded by grass moats, and initial befuddlement. "Without a yardage guide, first-timers would be lost," admits Horney. For example, the 9th and 18th fairways run parallel on either side of a lake, and share a green. "I like this hole," I said to my playing partner. "It's nice to have options when approaching a green."
"That's not an option," he corrected. "You missed your drive. This isn't the 9th fairway, and that flag on the left isn't the 9th. It's the 18th."
As an aid to bamboozled golfers, Horney has placed aiming stakes in many of the fairways. Assuming a player has the technical ability to follow his leads, it is possible to score and have fun. As proof, the LPGA Futures Tour plays Hunters Oak, and has averaged 13-under par in their three-round tournaments.
Your first key to success -- don't try to the ball on most tee shots. Your second -- trust your swing, which can be a daunting task when confronted with so many blind shots. "Some golfers have described this course overly challenging," Horney told me with a note of understatement. "In our first year, one foursome claimed to have lost ninety-six balls in the water and grasslands. I think that was an exaggeration. At least, I hope it was."
Hunters Oak exacerbates bad swings and rewards good ones. Depending on your course knowledge, on your ability to execute, and the whims of golf, its countless mounds will either help you or hurt you, sometimes in the same hole. If such terrain bothers you, find a course with flower beds, fountains, and faux waterfalls...but don't claim to appreciate links golf.
My biggest compliment& that the course is visually stunning and mentally challenging.
My biggest complaint...that some of the holes are far apart, making the course difficult to walk.
Officially, Hunters Oak is a private club, but it keeps an open door to the general public. Call in advance, make a reservation, and you may have much of this sensuously undulating, beautifully manicured course to yourself.
But, and I repeat -- do not come to Hunter's Oak intending to play it one time, or even two. Do not expect to set a course record. Do look forward to a round combining golf intellect with golf execution. Tour it the first time. Start playing it the second.
Sharif dont like it! ROCK the Casbah, ROCK the Casbah!
My Home Page
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Whats in your bag

Post by indyfrisco »

Ping G5 Knock-off I built. 8.5* and a 37" XXS Penley Graphite Shaft
Cobra Speed Pro 3 wood. 13* with an XXS Graphite shaft
Nickent 3DX Hybrid. 20* with S Graphite Shaft (I really need an XXS)
Callaway X-20 3-PW with XXS steel shaft.
Cleveland 53* Gunmetal Wedge
Titleist 56* Spin Milled SW
Oddyssey 2-Ball Putter

And please God tell me you don't actually use that fucking ball retriever. And I'm counting 15 clubs there. Did the PGA let you use all 15 this past weekend at Augusta?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

For the life of me, I don't know how he plays those big things.

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Nike SQ 460 Tour 8.5 with Stiff Flex Diamana shaft
Sonartech 3 wood with Graffaloy Stiff Flex
Hogan 2-3 Hybrid
TaylorMade 4-PW Rac LS Irons with 5.5 Rifle Shafts
Tom Watson signature Adams Tightlies 52,56, and 60 wedges
Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter
Can of Straight flavor long cut Skoal
Tees
Balls
Glove
Flask of Crown Royal
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Flask of Crown Royal
IN!!!

sin

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:S Graphite Shaft (I really need an XXS)

Dude... they actually have another option...

It's called "steel."

I may not be a clubfitter, but that doesn't mean I can't laugh when people say "I need to throw a couple more X's in front of my shaft speed."

Said it before, I'll say it again -- if it's not the driver, get that graphite shaft the fuck out of my clubs.

My irons are regular graphite. They'll be replaced this year, because I detest graphite shafts in irons... they were what was available when I needed to play (after the stolen club incident)... I hit them alright, but every time I try to stomp one, I end up thinking "Yukky fucking graphite." They always beg the question...

"Why?"

If the first digit of my age is less than 7, I have no interest in graphite. Distance isn't a problem for me -- accuracy is. If distance isn't an issue, and you still favor graphite, I believe the technical term for that is "idiot."

Just look at all those pros and low-handicappers swinging that graphite... wait, they're aren't any. Might be telling you something... modern "cheats" aren't always without a price.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Whether it is graphite or steel, I would need at least an XS as I did on my irons. I put XXS up there, but they are the Rifle 7.0 which I'm not sure, but that may just be XS. I use the term XS and XXS because that's what I'm used to. I haven't paid much attention to clubs the past few years and am a little rusty on the terminology used now.

In any case, I like the graphite in my driver and 3 wood. I would not be against steel in the hybrid. I just happened to buy the graphite when I first bought them a couple years back. I would normally "blame the Indian and not the arrow", but the hybrids are the only clubs in my bag that I duck hook on a regular basis. The only difference between the hybrids and the rest of my clubs are shaft flex sans the obvious things such as head design. And my iron play has improved dramatically going from the stiff shaft on my titlest irons to the XS or XXS in my calloway irons. It is possible to have the wrong equipment for your swing.
Zyclone
HTTR

Post by Zyclone »

[quote="IndyFrisco
And please God tell me you don't actually use that fucking ball retriever. And I'm counting 15 clubs there. Did the PGA let you use all 15 this past weekend at Augusta?[/quote]

I play rendidtions a lot its a replicaq course of golfs major championship holes. Firend of mine is the head pro there and asked me to get him some balls. I always scoop up balls on the 13th hole, its a replica of the 17th at sawgrass. Hell I got 57 balls out of there one day, 21 of them Pro-V1's!

http://www2.cybergolf.com/landscape/cou ... &page=2092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sharif dont like it! ROCK the Casbah, ROCK the Casbah!
My Home Page
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Zyclone wrote:Hell I got 57 balls out of there one day, 21 of them Pro-V1's!

A few years ago, me and a buddy were playing Glendoveer, which is a fairly deece 36 holer right in town. It was winter, but a less-soggy (by local standards) winter, allowing us to get out occasionally. We ended up getting really liquored up (:shocker:, playing in the wet and cold). For some reason (liquor), I got especially pissed off after finding the pond on a par 3, and for some odd reson, I stripped down to my skivvies and dove in after it.

I'm a hoot to golf with.

I either need a ball retriever, or to drink less.

Good times that day.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Zyclone wrote:21 of them Pro-V1's!
It amazes me how many hacks out there drop $50 on a dozen of those things. Its a great ball, no doubt, but nobody with a handicap higher than a 10 should be playing with that fucking ball.

I am a good golfer. I don't keep a handicap but I consider my self around a 8 or a 9 and I don't bother dropping that kinda jack on a fucking golf ball. I am quite content with some Nike One Blacks or the TaylorMades.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:It amazes me how many hacks out there drop $50 on a dozen of those things. Its a great ball, no doubt, but nobody with a handicap higher than a 10 should be playing with that fucking ball.

I'm a pretty damn mediocre golfer, and I still see/feel the benefits of the ProV1's.

Best ball on the market,imo.

Although, the V1x seems to fly a little further, and nowhere near as straight.

I ain't dropping $4 a ball on them, though... until I invest in a ball retriever.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Zyclone,

There is a replica course like that I played in Houston called Tour 18. I shot a 78 on it in high school, and was pretty proud of that. I'd probably drop a 90 on it today. In any case, while a ball retriever pays for itself, anytime I wait on someone in front of me who stops to pluck a ball from the lake I hit into them. The penalty is not only an extra stroke but a lost ball. If you can't afford to lose the ball, you shouldn't use it. It's one thing to grab your own ball half in the water and half out. It's another to sit there and fish for it and more balls while other people are waiting on you. Granted, I haven't had this happen to me in awhile, but I've hit into people probably 3 or 4 times when they just sit there with a hole open in front of them fishing balls out of the lake while I am waiting. Two bad etiquettes can make a good etiquette in the future.

Rumple,

I agree on the balls going back to what I just said to Zyclone. I could not afford...well, I probably could afford, but I could not justify to myself paying that kind of money for a ball. I use Pinnacle Exceptions for dicking around and weekend rounds. They are about $18/dozen and have a nice soft feel while still providing great distance. If I'm in a tournament, well, I have a couple dozen Pro V 1 balls that have been given to me as presents. I get a dozen from my father-in-law for my bday and xmas every year. I will use a sleeve of those in a tourney and then chunk'em in my shag bag when it is all done and go back to the Pinnacles. Golf cost enough as it is. "Playing" with Pro V 1 balls, to me, is like "playing" the lottery. It's an idiot tax.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Driver-Titleist 983K with Fujikara speeder stiff shaft 9.5 degree (will be the next club I replace assuming I can find something I hit as far and as straight)

3-Wood-Taylor Made V Steel, Aldila Stiff shaft, 15 degrees loft, and bent 2 degrees upright (will be the second club I replace assuming the same as with the driver)

2 Hybrid-Nickent Genex 3DX-Aldila NV-75 Green stiff shaft 17 degree loft bent 2 degrees upright

3 Hybrid-Nickent Genex 3DX-standard Nickent stiff shaft 20 degree standard lie

4-PW Mizuno MP60’s S300 Dynamic Gold stiff shafts, standard lie

Wedges-52 degree Titleist Vokey Spin Milled S300 Dynamic Gold Shaft bent 2 degrees strong, standard bounce

60 degree Titleist Vokey Spin Milled S300 Dynamic Gold Shaft standard lie, standard bounce

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron TeI3Newport Two standard length standard lie

Ball-ProV 1 standard
get out, get out while there's still time
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

IndyFrisco wrote:Zyclone,
There is a replica course like that I played in Houston called Tour 18.
I live about 5 minutes from there, Indy. I use to play it all the time when I was in high school. I had a friend who was a cart boy there and he got me on all the time. Fun track, but it wasn't quite developed back then. Now, I hear its awesome. I've had a myriad of opportunities to play there with some clients, but I keep passing. I'll have to go out there and play the track again now that the trees have grown.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:"Playing" with Pro V 1 balls, to me, is like "playing" the lottery. It's an idiot tax.

Yes and no.

Certainly a valid point, but there's another side of the coin -- the cover on the ProV1's is a lot more durable than most. If I bounce a cheap ball off a cart path, that ball is done, no longer in service. I've found that the ProV1's, or any of the high end Titlists for that matter, seem to endure a lot more punishment than cheaper balls, so assuming they don't get dunked, have a longer service life.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

RumpleForeskin wrote: I don't keep a handicap but I consider my self around a 8 or a 9 and I don't bother dropping that kinda jack on a fucking golf ball. I am quite content with some Nike One Blacks or the TaylorMades.
those that can do, those that can't usually play Nike's
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dins,

I do not question anything as far as quality is concerned on the Pro V 1. It's the Crème de la crème of golf balls. Unless you are simlpy shitting $100 bills though, it's an idiot tax. My playing partner plays Pro V 1 balls. I know for a fact he makes only $40k/year or so. He's a 16 handicap. That is an idiot tax. Parallel that with some other people I play with frequently who shit $100 bills who are 4 handicaps who use the Pro V 1. Yeah, I get why they do. For the average golfer, it's fucking stupid. I was going on the fact of what Rumple said that 10 or more handicappers whose shit stinks should stick to the harder, cheaper ball.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

While my game doesn't make me the ultimate judge, I still notice that under ideal situations, the better balls often hold the greens better, too.

My buddy, aka The Clinic, aka Mr. Madgame, has been known to tout some fairly cheap Slazinger ball, the model name of which escapes me... I know it's new in the last couplefew years. Those damn things spin all over the greens like nobody's business, and he pulls them out when the greens aren't grabbing well... and leaves them in the bag when they are, since they'll pull clean back off the front when the greens are good.

I'll try and remember the model name one of these days. The dimples have a little more of an edge to them.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Zyclone,
There is a replica course like that I played in Houston called Tour 18.
I live about 5 minutes from there, Indy. I use to play it all the time when I was in high school. I had a friend who was a cart boy there and he got me on all the time. Fun track, but it wasn't quite developed back then. Now, I hear its awesome. I've had a myriad of opportunities to play there with some clients, but I keep passing. I'll have to go out there and play the track again now that the trees have grown.
I would love to go back someday. Hopefully it is cheaper now. I think I paid like $80 for that track 13 years ago. For a kid, that was a lot of money, but I wanted to play the replica holes. I imagine it is much nicer now that it has matured because I played it when it was only like 3 years old or so.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:I was going on the fact of what Rumple said that 10 or more handicappers whose shit stinks should stick to the harder, cheaper ball.
I think they should play with whatever the fuck kind of ball they feel like playing with, and spend their golf budget however they see fit.

Should high-cappers also play with Lynx irons? Bust out their 460cc John Daly driver? Wear hats only from Northwestern? Play out of grandpa's old naugahide bag?

Where we drawing the line here?

Besides, I encourage the major-hacks to play ProV1's. Then, after they dunk it on the first shot, I can buy it out of the used-bin for $0.50... which at 4-bits, I can afford to play any ball I want.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:Those damn things spin all over the greens like nobody's business, and he pulls them out when the greens aren't grabbing well... and leaves them in the bag when they are, since they'll pull clean back off the front when the greens are good.
:lol:

That's me on our hole #5. I always have about 5 Pro V 1 balls in the bag that have been hit a few times. On #5, it is a short par 5 reachable in 2 but the green is like 30 ft. x 30 ft., extremely sloped and elevated. Miss it right or long in 2 and bogey is a good score. Miss it left in 2 and birdie is still attainable with a good chip and putt. Home in 2 and birdie is likely and eagle is guaranteed only when inside the leather. That being said, I hit the Pro V 1 on that hole in very dry conditions in order to hold on the green. Normal conditions I stick to the Pinnacle.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:Where we drawing the line here?
When you hit your ball in the middle of the lake, you don't have to snap your 7 iron in half and never use it again, but the ball is gone. If your cap is around 20 and you aren't rolling in dough, that's why I call that an idiot tax. I'm not telling people what they need to do. I'm just telling them they're an idiot in doing so. People who play competitively, I get it. People who can afford to Tin Cup 6 balls into the water and be pissed only because of the strokes, I get it. People who shoot 95 on a good day making less than 6 figures playing Pro V 1 balls, I don't get it.

Get it?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote: People who play competitively, I get it.
When I'm playing for fun (nee, anything other than a tournament) I typically play the Lady Precept-behaves just like the ProV insofar as spin goes, but doesn't fly as far...

I suggest that everybody that plays the game get FITTED for a ball
(e.g. the ball the best suits your swing speed, launch angle, spin rate, etc.) a good retailer (Golf Galaxy) will always have the equipment to measure these things....

it's everybit as important as being fit for a club
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Where we drawing the line here?
When you hit your ball in the middle of the lake, you don't have to snap your 7 iron in half and never use it again, but the ball is gone. If your cap is around 20 and you aren't rolling in dough, that's why I call that an idiot tax. I'm not telling people what they need to do. I'm just telling them they're an idiot in doing so. People who play competitively, I get it. People who can afford to Tin Cup 6 balls into the water and be pissed only because of the strokes, I get it. People who shoot 95 on a good day making less than 6 figures playing Pro V 1 balls, I don't get it.

Get it?
Couldn't agree more. The same goes for 20 handicappers who are constantly buying the latest and greatest clubs when they don't have the foggiest clue how to hit the 1 year old clubs they are currently playing.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

BSmack,

I hope you are not referring to the fact I said I don't hit my Nickent Hybrid much because I snap hook it consistently. If it were all the clubs in my bag, as I said before, I would think it is more my swing than my clubs. However, I know enough about the swing that if I am not putting a hook swing on it yet it is still hooking, and heavily, it is very liekly that it is related to equipment. A shaft that is too flexible for the swing speed will tend to hook. A shaft that is too stiff for the swing speed will tend to slice. Therefore, I do not think it is "out of bounds" to assume I need a stiffer shaft in the club. All the other clubs in my bag have XS or XXS shafts and a snap/duck hook rarely, if at all, occurs.

Sure, I could slow my swing down for that one club, but it makes the club useless for what I bought it for. I still like the head and the feel when I can put the perfect slice swing on it to hit it straight, but I'd rather not do that. I would rather reshaft and have my swing more consistent.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: That's me on our hole #5.
I've mentioned this place many times. I don't do par-3 courses as a general rule, and loathe chip-and-putt as a general rule, but the Edgefield is the bomb.

Having access to a winery, distillery, brewery, and about 6 different bars while playing spices things up. Special place.

Haven't been since they built the new holes... they built an amphitheater to host concerts (some big names come through for a smaller venue), which knocked it down to 17 holes. Now, they've got 32 after buying some surrounding property (it was 43 acres of bars before the expansion).

Anyhoo, to keep it nice with the huge volume of hacker foot traffic, they make them greens hard. Like reeeealllly hard/firm. Must Stint at about 400 or so. If you get 50,000 RPMs on the ball, it migt hold the postage-stamps. But unless it's damp (it's mostly on a hillside, with the more rocky soil, being at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge), you ain't stopping crap (met a Nationwide player out there, and he seemed to think the greens were tough).

But I've found the Equalizer -- pull out an old scuffed up ball. A few snags on the ball, and it has a little more abrasive to grab the super-slick greens. If it's only flying 40 or 50 yards or so, it's not like that little scuffs make it sail off sideways, but it sure makes them try and grab some grass.

And it's still a hair wet around here, so you have to still play off the mats right now (I'm guessing with confidence -- the course is playable probably 360 days out of the year, unless Truotdale gets their winter-special inches of freezing rain... although rumor has it, they actually invented wind in Troutdale (far NE corner of the Portland metro area)). The beauty of being forced to play off mats is the built-in cheat. We call it the "Edgefield Tee," which is putting the ball on the rubber driving range mat tee, and hitting straight down across the back, dragging every last groove across the ball. Lots of spin. Of course the "purists" of the bunch call that "cheating," and hit it off the mat and pinch down on it... which makes good spin, too.

I'm jonsin for an Edgefield run lately. With the ready access to booze, it's awesome -- it's the home of being 1-under going into the last 3 holes, then the booze kicks in, and you finish 4 over. Good times.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: When I'm playing for fun (nee, anything other than a tournament) I typically play the Lady Precept

:SHOCKER:

If you ever played with my crew... trust me, you wouldn't want to pull out a lady ball.

I don't care of you throw up a 62 with it -- it still wouldn't be worth it.

We have a name for people who play womens' balls... we call them "women."

You pull those Lady Precepts out of your pink bag, Felix? Hit them with your Nancy Lopez Signature driver? Drink a Mike's Hard Lemonade to celebrate a good round?

Ken wants to know.

BTW -- if'n I'm not mistaken, they sell that exact same ball in a men's model. Same price. I think you've engaged in a severe overshare here, Felix.

When any of us find pink, or any sort of lady balls on the course, we tuck them in the bottom of the bag and save them. Then if someone should ever suffer a foot slip on the tee, or somehow duff one and fail to clear the red tees (often have to wait a long time, sure), everyone reaches into their bag and starts pelting the offender with lady balls.

Did I mention I'm a real hoot to golf with?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

We had a wooden bridge over the lake on the country club I grew up playing. On hole 9 and 18 both. It had 2 rubber strips on the bridge that carts were supposed to drive on. Anyhow, me and the rest of the golf team, when having practice rounds daily, would have a contest to see who could spin the ball the furthest by hitting the sand wedge off the rubber mats. We had a portion of both greens that was a little slopey and you could get extra distance due to the slope. Other than the small slope, these greens were pretty flat. One time I hit the slope just perfect and with the additional spin from the rubber, that thing spun like 40 feet back.

Good times.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:BTW -- if'n I'm not mistaken, they sell that exact same ball in a men's model. Same price. I think you've engaged in a severe overshare here, Felix.
I think the compression on the lady ball is less than the men's ball. I've heard of people who use the lady precept. I found one once and hit it just to see, and it did seem to spin a bit more but not quite the distance. Good ball for chicks...and Felix.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:
Felix wrote: When I'm playing for fun (nee, anything other than a tournament) I typically play the Lady Precept

:SHOCKER:

If you ever played with my crew... trust me, you wouldn't want to pull out a lady ball.

I don't care of you throw up a 62 with it -- it still wouldn't be worth it.

We have a name for people who play womens' balls... we call them "women."

You pull those Lady Precepts out of your pink bag, Felix? Hit them with your Nancy Lopez Signature driver?
dins, about 20 years ago I quit giving a flying fuck what anybody on a golf course thinks or doesn't think in terms of my game...

I usually attribute that kind of attitude to people that are more concerned with driving the ball 400 yards (doesn't matter where it goes just so long as it goes a long way) than they are with scoring....

I typically refer to those type players as

"my personal ATM"
IndyFrisco wrote: I found one once and hit it just to see, and it did seem to spin a bit more but not quite the distance. Good ball for chicks...and Felix.
I carry a 6.3 hdcp..what's yours
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I'm an 11...and I was kidding.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Since we're all over the place on this thread, I thought I'd share an update on my conditioning bender I've been on for the last month since I shot that little 75 in Bastrop. I've dropped about 10 pounds and my felxibilty excercises are really taking form. I can feel a lot more freedom in my torso area. I'm anxious to get out there and see what I can do off the tee now that I can twist a lot easier than before. Over the last two years I completely lost the ability to hit a draw off the tee and it inhibited my options on certain holes.

I'm probably going to hit the range on Saturday and play 9 holes Sunday evening. So, we'll see how it goes.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: I carry a 6.3 hdcp..what's yours

Sounds like estrogen is your biggest handicap.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:I'm an 11...and I was kidding.
I know.... :D

Dinsdale wrote:
Sounds like estrogen is your biggest handicap.
:lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I can feel a lot more freedom in my torso area.

Oh, dude...

Since my last blowing-up-of-the-back, I cant get around all the way.

And the ball seems to go the direction that my belt-buckle (if I wore one) is pointing on the follow through, just like it's supposed to... which is about 20 degrees right of where it should be.

I've been working semi-hard on trying to get flexible again, but it's been slow coming.

Back, knee, and shoulder injuries seem to really put a damper on the scoring.

I played 18 sunday, and just sprayed the thing everywhere. Yes, triple-digits were involved... and over the last few holes, I didn't even care... I was too busy trying to get through the last holes without screaming out in pain... which I did, and was all the "victory" I needed. Funny thing was, I don't think I had a three putt all day... maybe one. If I can lock the torso down for chipping and putting, and just use arms/shoulders, I'm doing fine. Anything that involves rotation... not so good Joe.

It just takes time.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: I was too busy trying to get through the last holes without screaming out in pain
been there-done that

it's the suxor

try 4 advils and some Icy Hot next time
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

My buddy is a golf pro who played on the Hooters Tour for a few years. He quit and was running a "liaison" shop for ordering golf equipment in bulk for pro shops and big time tourney events that petro-chemical companies host.

Well, he just won a mini-tour event down here and got the bug to start conditioning hard and get back on tour. He hired a personal trainer who works with a lot of pro golfers, so he has been passing on the info to me about what type of weight lifting, stretching, and other excercises I should be performing. Its been great. I've done a lot of lifting in my shoulders, arms, and rotator cuff. I've also been working on a lot of lower body stuff that Kenny Perry does. My buddy told me Perry is one of the longer hitters on tour and its because of the strength in his lower body.

I've gotta long ways to go, but its going to be great when I feel like I am in high school again.
Last edited by RumpleForeskin on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Felix wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: I was too busy trying to get through the last holes without screaming out in pain
been there-done that

it's the suxor

try 4 advils and some Icy Hot next time
Yup...and ALWAYS apply icy hot and/or sunscreen with your glove hand or you are FUCKED. One day, I used both hands to apply sunscreen and it was the waterproof kind. Club slipping in my hand all day.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

RumpleForeskin wrote:longer hitters on tour and its because of the strength in his lower body.
yep....hip and thigh strength are the keys to generating power...

but, a couple of Popeye forearms certainly doesn't hurt...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote:try 4 advils and some Icy Hot next time

I'll stick to my current regimen of about 9 cheap beers and a few bowls of weed... seems to work for me.