Tiggers looking UP at the Royals

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Tiggers looking UP at the Royals

Post by RevLimiter »

If only for a day, but I'll take it at this point....looks like Trey Hillman's instilled some fight in these fellas, and they NEVER quit today. Did a lot of bunting and running as well, which we haven't seen out of this team in some time. Shoalzie, your thoughts? :twisted:
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Tiggers looking UP at the Royals

Post by Shoalzie »

I knew I'd see a thread about this...

Way too many LOBs, the bullpen was a letdown as feared and how often is Polanco going to go 0-for-6? Props on the opening day win...you guys are going to be pesky as always.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Like I said, NO WAY IN HELL we'll stay in 1st place in this damn division, but I really liked what I saw today out of them and I'll be very interested to see how our starting pitching performs on this opening road trip.
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

In early hopefully to spark a late inning rally...friggin' Bannister is dealing right now.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Let the irrational early season TigerFan panic attacks to begin in the 'D'...

I want to thank the Royals for the wake up call...talent on paper doesn't win you games. KC has gotten strong starting pitching, timely hitting and near flawless relief pitching...the Tigers have gotten solid starts out of Rogers and Verlander but they couldn't wiggle out of trouble enough to hang around and the pen hasn't exactly been stellar.

O-for's out of Polanco, Sheffield and Jones...I'd say at least one of those guys need to be on the pine for tomorrow's game. I think Clete Thomas might be due for his first MLB start in left and why not throw Raburn in at 2nd.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

detroit fans are going to have many disappointed nights.

they better hope martinez is gone for a long spell in Cleveland.

Starting pitching will be Detroits undoing. Willis isn't the answer

Added more offense, left 2 borderline .500 pitchers to be #2-4 on staff.

detroit can't match up with Cleveland pitching wise.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shoalzie wrote:Let the irrational early season TigerFan panic attacks to begin in the 'D'...
Likewise, let irrational exuberance rule in KC for just a bit longer. The call in shows are hilarious right about now.
I want to thank the Royals for the wake up call...talent on paper doesn't win you games. KC has gotten strong starting pitching, timely hitting and near flawless relief pitching...
And tomorrow you get Zack "The Spaceman" Grienke. He'll either pitch a gem or get hammered. No in between with this guy.

Needless to say, I'm geeked about the nice start...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Adelpiero wrote:detroit fans are going to have many disappointed nights.

they better hope martinez is gone for a long spell in Cleveland.

Starting pitching will be Detroits undoing. Willis isn't the answer

Added more offense, left 2 borderline .500 pitchers to be #2-4 on staff.

detroit can't match up with Cleveland pitching wise.

For the most part, you're right. The biggest edge I give the Indians is in the bullpen. The Tigers don't have a Betancourt. Sabathia-Verlander is close to a push...they have the edge with having a #2 like Carmona though. The rest of the rotation is decent. I don't know what Willis we'll see in Detroit. Bonderman needs to make strides this year and you saw today with Rogers, he's probably only a 6-inning/85-90 pitch guy.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

robertson is going to make 4.5 million and rogers is cashing in at 8. that's a lot of wasted money right there.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:robertson is going to make 4.5 million and rogers is cashing in at 8. that's a lot of wasted money right there.

Rogers had a great '06...just don't know if he's going to be back to that form after last year.

Robertson...well, we had that discussion earlier. He's a decent pitcher as a #5. He's been the king of bad luck...will pitch a great game but get no run support. The days the Tigers hit for him, he decides to help out the other team.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Two games, 2 quality starts for tigers pitchers. Nothing to worry about there yet.

If Granderson is in there the Tigs win game one. No answer for Bannister though, dude was dealing. KC always plays us tough.

Latino laced lineup will hit when the weather warms up.

Tigers are spenders, second highest payroll in MLB. 3.5 mil. plus attendance allows such luxuries. All teams are thin in the bullpen. For the most part the guys in the middle are unknown entities. In 06 it was thought to be a weakness, it wasn't. Last year it was thought to be a strength, it wasn't. This year, who knows? But the Tigs ought to be able to outscore most teams and that'll keep them in the race at worst.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bagging on Detroit...real original. In related news, the sky is blue and there's 24 hours in a day.

As for the product on the field...a great opportunity today for Bonderman to show where he's at in his progression. This team needs a win and for a few years, he's been looked upon as "the stopper" until Verlander and Rogers came along. The Tigers need him to really make a big step forward in '08...I want no less 15 wins from him. Anything less and I'd consider him on the same level as Robertson...a nice pitcher but not a front line guy.

Lineup changes for today...Thames in, Jones out...Inge back to his familiar 3B, Cabrera out, and Clete Thomas gets the start in CF. Sheffield and Polanco stay in the lineup in spite of the 0-for's.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Alex Gordon hit a 2-run BOMB off Bonderman in the 4th...it's the bottom of the 5th right now with 1 out and the Good Guys leading 2-0. :mrgreen:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The scoreless drought is over...Inge saves the day with a solo shot, he's had a very solid series. They hadn't scored a run since the 8th inning on Wednesday's game. Still way too many LOB's by the key run producers and Sheffield is hitless for the season and Pudge and Polanco are both below .100.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Fuckin-a, RoyalFan...props on sweeping my overrated, overhyped team.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Every team will lose 3 in a row or get swept in a series...just looks uglier when you start the season 0-3. No need to panic on our end but I think the Royals can feel very good about how they played. The Royals didn't put up gaudy numbers offensively...the most impressive thing was making the Tigers lineup look stupid. I can't go away from this too upset considering the Tigers pitching was decent. I'm more ticked off that this team left guys on base when you've got a handful of guys capable of driving in 100 runs a year. Oh well...move on and bring on the Chi-Sox.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

No smack here, Sholz...

Day 3 of the season, and you still have a hunnerd wins to look forward to...

RoyalsFan prays for another 79. Funny how cities measure success.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

^^^ exactly. that's why it's ok to pile on the tigers right now, it might be one of your few chances this season once shit gets rolling.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Truman wrote: RoyalsFan prays for another 79.
Damnit Tru!

How fucking dare you pierce the aura of comfortable invincibility right now after a 3 game sweep. To start the season. On the road, no less.

Did you know the last time that happened was 1977 and that it was against the Tiggers? I knew that, 'cause my trusty KC Star sports page always informs me of these salient facts.

That's right, you non-believer... we're on a mission from God and GOD!

Dare to Dream, GODDAMNIT!

The Audacity of Fucking HOPE!

The Miasma of Myopia!

If the Royals lose tomorrow I'm blaming YOU... you fucking jinxed them.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Hey, we all know that it's a VERY long season and that starting 3-0 basically doesn't mean a damn thing in the Big Picture, but for a team and fan base that generally doesn't see this kind of a start to a season very much around here it's HUGE. The Twinkies might blow us away 15-2 tonight for all we know, but for right now we're gonna bask in the glow and hopefully what we've seen out of this Royals team so far isn't just an abberation.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Let the irrational early season TigerFan panic attacks to begin in the 'D'...
Likewise, let irrational exuberance rule in KC for just a bit longer. The call in shows are hilarious right about now.
I want to thank the Royals for the wake up call...talent on paper doesn't win you games. KC has gotten strong starting pitching, timely hitting and near flawless relief pitching...
And tomorrow you get Zack "The Spaceman" Grienke. He'll either pitch a gem or get hammered. No in between with this guy.

Needless to say, I'm geeked about the nice start...

The first time in 3 years you have said something I agree with!

Fuckin' A were at the top of the division again if only for a day! Wore my Royals cap (first time I have put a hat on my head since getting my hair back after 9 months of radiation) just to piss oiff the three Tigger homers who go to the same watering hole as I do!

I was dissappointed I didn't get to catch the final freaking at bat in the extra innings game on Monday but I was already running late for dropping off my daughter with her mom :(
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

SunCoastSooner wrote:Wore my Royals cap (first time I have put a hat on my head since getting my hair back after 9 months of radiation)
Wear that Royals lid with pride and in good health, my friend.
Prototype
Elwood

Post by Prototype »

e wrote:i'm still pissed at WHB for not retaining the rights to the games. they're the only AM station i can pick up at work.

Yep, me too. Though it seems that 610 has roided up their signal, it is much better than it used to be, not 810 quality, but better.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

So far Royals pitching has been stellar. Dayton Moore continues to stockpile arms in the organization. I love that he understands that great pitching is how the Royals can win in the current MLB.

Dejesus is about to come back. I like David and he should get plenty of playing time. However, I think Gathright is doing a great job in the leadoff spot and in centerfield. Not to mention he can steal bases. Something Dejesus isn't so good at. It will be interesting to see how Hillman uses these two in the future.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I don't think Gathright is a permanent leadoff hitter. I see him as a 4th outfielder and nothing more. I know he's got great speed but the guy can't hit the ball out of the infield. Even with his speed it's going to be hard to hit much better than .270 just because everything he hits he's going to have to beat out. DeJesus may not have his stolen base ability, but he will hit a decent amount of extra bases and hit for a higher average to make up for it. If Gathright singles and steals second it's the same as if DeJesus doubles. If Gathright plays everyday, how fresh are his legs going to be in August and September?

But I love what Hillman is doing. Such a breath of fresh air after that retard Buddy Bell. This team looks a lot more focused and we're actually attempting to manufacture runs. Still not as patient at the plate as I'd like to see, but it's more improved than last year even in that department. Was Buddy Bell even aware the stolen base is legal?? Good to see Trey putting a lot of pressure on the opposing defenses.

5-2 start ain't too shabby. Zack on the bump tonight against the Yanks, so let's go take the series!
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:Wore my Royals cap (first time I have put a hat on my head since getting my hair back after 9 months of radiation)
Wear that Royals lid with pride and in good health, my friend.
Thanks, and always. Like I said first time my hard ass noggin has donned a cap in a very long time.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

TheJON wrote:But I love what Hillman is doing. Such a breath of fresh air after that retard Buddy Bell. This team looks a lot more focused and we're actually attempting to manufacture runs. Still not as patient at the plate as I'd like to see, but it's more improved than last year even in that department. Was Buddy Bell even aware the stolen base is legal?? Good to see Trey putting a lot of pressure on the opposing defenses.
JON, I think Buddy Bell just came here to collect a few more big-league manager paychecks before he ejected. Funny how his "retirement" turned into a scouting job for the White Sox. :meds:

As for Trey Hillman, he came in here knowing that this team possessed players with good base-stealing abilities but no "big bats" so he's using his roster to the best of their abilities and it's showing immediate results. "Small-ball" works...just ask the '05 White Sox.