THE 2007 Detroit Tigers thread

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

THE 2007 Detroit Tigers thread

Post by Shoalzie »

Having a thread for the Tigers worked quite well last year...time to fire up this bad boy for the new campaign.

Two big stories today for the defending American League champs...

Kenny Rogers out 3 months after having a blood clot removed from his pitching shoulder
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp

The Tigers have tremendous pitching depth and I don't necessarily worry about losing him for that long when his presence in the clubhouse and the dugout has just as important as his presence on the mound. He's such a major influence on the young pitchers on this team and if he can still sit in the dugout and talk trade with other starters during his recovery, he will still contribute to the team from a leadership standpoint. He was the emotional leader last year in the postseason during his starts but he's also a calming influence and great mentor for guys like Bonderman, Verlander and Robertson. I hope he makes a full recover and he'll have 3 fewer months of wear and tear on his arm...that should benefit him and the Tigers when we get to the second half of the season and the battle for the Central should be in full swing.

Carlos Guillen signs a 4 year extension to go through 2011
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp

He was going to be one of their most important free agents to sign next winter so kudos to Dombrowski on getting the deal done. $12 million per year for a guy who might not put up MVP numbers but is arguably this team's most important offensive player with his ability to drive in runs with great situational hitting and the occasional long ball. The addition of Sheffield should take some of the pressure off a guy like Guillen who has had the responsibility to drive in more runs than he probably should have to. I think you can pencil him in for 15 home runs, 80 RBI and a .310 batting average this year. His health is key for the Tigers this year...I don't know if he's got the ability to play a full year at shortstop so guys like Infante will play a big part in giving him rest when he needs it. The Tigers need Guillen if they want to make another run into the postseason.

Also today, Vance Wilson was put on the 15-day DL. Mike Rabelo gets to start the season with the big club. He has one career at bat which came last season. Wilson was an unsung hero during last season in playing spot duty for when Pudge needed a rest and at contributed well with the bat...hit .283 in 56 games.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Let's go Tigers!!!

I was waiting for someone to start the annual thread.

The loss of the Gambler may hurt a bit but hopefully he'll pitch the second half of the season the way he usually pitches the first half.

All and all I like the club. Shef should help out bigtime with his OBP and lack of K's. Pudge is ageless, Inge and Granderson with another year of seasoning, Guillen and Polanco are "pro hitters" and a healthy Maggs is a beautiful thing.

With Durbin subbing for Rogers (Miller lies in wait if Durbin fails) the starters are maybe only 4 deep. Bondo is poised for a Cy Youngesque season, Maroth back healthy, Nate is Nate, and Verlander will lhopefully round into form after a slow spring. I love the bullpen. Lots of gas out there. The 7-9 innings should be damn tough for opposing teams to come back on.

Improved lineup, already deep pitching staff, how can we as Tigerfan not be excited.

Let's get it on!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

bonderman's looking good today.

sin,
nobody.

too bad the no. 1 starting cheater won't be able to pitch for three months, that just means more mike maroth for us!

sin,
AL central
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

did scott schoenweis get picked up by the sox again? jesus christ.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:bonderman's looking good today.

sin,
nobody.

That's why they play 9 innings, friend...

Unfortunately, the Tigers played 9 innings and the Jays played 10. :oops:

At least the Tigers didn't get shanked today like the Sox did...what the hell was that?
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Shoalzie wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:bonderman's looking good today.

sin,
nobody.

That's why they play 9 innings, friend...

Unfortunately, the Tigers played 9 innings and the Jays played 10. :oops:

At least the Tigers didn't get shanked today like the Sox did...what the hell was that?
You know what happened the last time Toronto opened the season with a win in Detroit?

They closed out the 92 season with a win in Atlanta.

Great game today.. what more could a baseball fan ask than the first game of the year going extra innings.

Oh and FUCK whoever it was that decided to lower the fences in left field? to 5 ft
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Great take by Stark saying the Tigers need to forget last year quickly...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=2823321

Some teams fall into the trap of living off the previous year. Them winning the American League pennant after how low they had fallen a few years back...it was almost like they did win the World Series. The hunger to take the final step has been mentioned often by some of the players during the spring. I don't see there being a big hangover and with Leyland as their manager...he'll kick 'em in the ass if their minds start to wander. Last year was unfinished business to them and I don't see how they don't approach this season any less the same intensity and drive they brought forth last year. They need to think to themselves that last year, they didn't accomplish their ultimate goal so that has to help motivate them to make it through another long regular season and return to the playoffs.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Screw_Michigan wrote:no. 1 starting cheater
nothing was proven.
why is my neighborhood on fire
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Just wanted to get in early, this thread was a lot of fun last year.

Go Get 'em Tigers.
Those who stay will be champions.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Today's game postponed due to snow...only in Michigan :lol:

I feel bad for one of the guys I work with. He took a few days off this week because his son had spring break and they drove out to Detroit and they had tickets for today's game. Sucks for all of the kids up here who have the week off but are stuck inside because there's snow on the ground and temps are in the upper 20s.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Supposed to be pushing 80 here tomorrow, which is nice, since the AAA team opens tomorrow. I won't be seeing it or anything, due to a long day of slaughtering salmon instead.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

e wrote:i have tickets to the det/kc game tomorrow night. wearing stocking cap and gloves to a baseball game just isn't natural.

rack stubhub.com, though. i bought the tickets yesterday around noon and the fedex guy dropped them off at 8:15 this morning. nothing like answering the door wearing boxers and sportin' a semi.

You luck out with the game being postponed yesterday...you'll get to see Verlander start for the Tigers instead of Mike Maroth.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Too bad the weather didn't cooperate for ya...props on your Royals taking the first game of the series.

Friggin' Magglio practically gave you that first run though with the way he botched a routine play in the outfield and allowed DeJesus to get a cheap triple.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Despite the O's defeat of the faggot-loving Jeffrey Maier fellating Yank-gay-cocks, I still wish death upon that worthless Greek POS Angelos. Fuck him and all his asbestos-profiteering offspring. Go O's. Rack 2010 as being our year when Cal purchases the team. Then we can cancel the games in which Kevin Costner is diddling our wives due to "power outages". 160-1 baby.

Edit~sorry to interrupt your "Our fluke team will have the same freakish luck as last season" thread. Please resume your wishful thinking.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Yeah keep wishing Cal will re-build that piece of shit franchise...what is it some kind of Mario Lemiuex deal where they can't pay his salary owed so they give him the team? Fuck Baltimore...the only decent thing to come out of there is Albert Kaline.

You wanna talk O's baseball? Start a thread and watch the ensuing cobwebs and crickets.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

WolverineSteve wrote:Yeah keep wishing Cal will re-build that piece of shit franchise...what is it some kind of Mario Lemiuex deal where they can't pay his salary owed so they give him the team? Fuck Baltimore...the only decent thing to come out of there is Albert Kaline.

You wanna talk O's baseball? Start a thread and watch the ensuing cobwebs and crickets.
I doubt Cal could do a worse job than our defender against the terrors of asbestos. Hell, Marion Barry could run the team better.

As far as an O's baseball thread goes, what is the point? It is much more entertaining to interrupt the Detroit Dexys Midnight Runners thread.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

e wrote:i didn't watch him long. he was throwing some serious heat and just daring the royals to hit it but it was just too cold for me to hang in for the entire game with my eight year old daughter. we left in the middle of the 4th with the game tied at one. it was about 32 degrees at gametime with a nasty wind blowing through. i had to play responsible parent and leave before she got sick.
Rack for having the stones to even attempt being at that game in the first place. Freaking football weather is what this is, but unlike Arrowhead which is completely enclosed and offers some break from the wind, The K has no such protection from that wicked ass north wind that was blowing in at 30 mph last nite. Just brutal conditions to try and watch a game in, especially with a kid to concerned about.

Great win for the Royals, though. They got thumped by the Tigers last year at home to the tune of 0-9. Of the 3 games and with looking at the pitching match-ups, I wouldn't have given a plug nickle for the chances of Delarosa keeping them in the game against Verlander.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Back to even ground again...good day for the bats and for the bullpen. Granderson having a breakout season so far and Sheffield has done a very good job at driving in runs from the 3-hole as well as draw walks. Good for Maroth to get his first start in almost 10 or 11 months and pick up a win.
Prototype
Elwood

Post by Prototype »

Nice Hudson story.

Yesterday's game was a kick in the balls.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

I saw Hudson pitch last July at Fenway... he had decent stuff. Lots of movement. I remember him pitching very well except for a homer he gave up to... someone. The Royals lost... I know, shocker.

Anyways... RACK Luke Hudson. It's always nice to hear about the "good guys." I bet he made some kid's day. Thanks for sharing, e...
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Hey Wolverine Fans...

On the weekend of September 29th the Tigers are playing at the White Sox, the Wolverines are playing at Northwestern and the Lions are playing at the Bears.

I am making the roadie, I am going to buy a bunch of tickets to the White Sox Friday night game this weekend, getting tickets to NW is easy....this is too cool of a trip.

Go Tigers (Nice hit by Monroe tonight hopefully they can hold on in the bottom of the 12th)
Those who stay will be champions.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Very happy with the two starts each by Robertson and Verlander this year...wish they could get more run support though. 5-3 is a decent start to the season...no one in the AL has really seperated itself from the rest up to this point. I think we'll see a lot of teams all packed in close at the top of league...it should make for a great playoff chase in the last couple months of the season.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

A classic pitchers duel in Toronto tonight...Halladay vs. Bonderman. Halladay goes 'Jack Morris' on the Tigers and pitches a 10-inning complete game. Bonderman goes 9 innings and for the second time this year, Rodney gets the loss in relief in the 10th inning against the Jays.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Fucking Rodney...2 if not 3 of the Tigs losses are on him. Throw strikes and field your position. He brought back the horrible memories of the WS. Robertson thinks Bondo is getting lousy run support.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Nice to see someone else's bullpen collapse to lead a win for the Tigers. Ryan could throw a strike today to save his life and Thames got a lucky break, so to speak, after he had to horrible swings at high fastballs. Durbin has another bad start but thankfully the Tigers win the game in the end. I'd give him a couple more starts but he doesn't turn it around, Leyland needs to consider moving someone else into his spot in the rotation. The other four guys have been tremendous so far.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Shoalzie wrote:Nice to see someone else's bullpen collapse to lead a win for the Tigers. Ryan could throw a strike today to save his life and Thames got a lucky break, so to speak, after he had to horrible swings at high fastballs. Durbin has another bad start but thankfully the Tigers win the game in the end. I'd give him a couple more starts but he doesn't turn it around, Leyland needs to consider moving someone else into his spot in the rotation. The other four guys have been tremendous so far.
:x

I'm beginning to understand how Astro fan feels...
That's 2 blown saves already this season...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ryan went onto the DL and Buster Olney mentioned this morning he's probably on his way to getting Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow. From watching the game on Saturday, our local guys mentioned Ryan didn't throw much in the spring...as if he had a problem then. Tough break for the Jays for sure.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Man, i really fucking HATE Pudge. I wish that fucker would retire.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He's definitely wearing out Royals pitching. I don't think that homer he hit a couple weeks ago against Riske has landed.
Prototype
Elwood

Post by Prototype »

Flashers at the Tigers game?

Last night: coming back from commerial late in the game the camera passed by a couple of girls down the left field line that looked to be pulling shirt back down. Anyone else catch that?
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I heard about that on The Big Show today...definitely hits home to a place like this.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Nice rebound win for the Tigers after failing to complete the huge comeback yesterday in Anaheim. RACK Durbin on his first strong start of the season. I've definitely been among those believing he should be taken out of the rotation in favor of someone like Ledezma but he bucked up in some crappy weather against a team playing quite well. Too bad Zoom couldn't find the plate and ruined his shutout.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

I was coming in to rack Durbin as well. Solid start. Where's Miner? I wonder why he was the replacement for Maroth last year but not the roaster this year. Is he still around?
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Miner is in Toledo right now with an 0-2 record and a 9.00 ERA...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... ed=rss_det

Ernie is going to fill in for Rod Allen as analyst for a game. Too bad it's a weekday afternoon game. I'll still record that bad boy.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

A lot of things have to go right for a young team to make it to the WS. The Tigers were fortunate to stay healthy for the most part last year. This year is starting to worry me. Bondo to the DL, Zumaya gone, Rogers out, Maroth missing a start today. It's nice to have solid pitching, but injuries kill the depth quickly. The bullpen has been less than stellar thusfar.

On a good note, the hitters have been picking up the slack. Maggs is as hot as anybody, Shef is coming around. Polanco, Pudge and Guillen always give a proffessional at-bat. Monroe always hits better as the weather heats up. I just love what Granderson does, he's becoming a top-notch centerfielder and leadoff man.

It's getting interesting .

Go Tigers!!
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

WolverineSteve wrote:A lot of things have to go right for a young team to get utterly embarrased and beat down mercilessly the WS
Fixed.

And when they got there, it was painfully obvious that they didnt belong there in the first place.

TROTS this shit thread.

No Team who has the biggest. quivering. pussy. ever. as thier leader and Ace pitcher as well as faggot fairweather fans who didnt know the team existed until last season deserves its own thread. Period.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

So we'll just have one for the Tigers then.

Damn your jealousy knows no bounds. Hocky, Hoops, and Baseball. The Motor City own LaLa land (and the Gay area) in all of the above. Hell the only team worse than the Lions was your fucking Raiders. Just stop already, you are an idiot supreme.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Damn your jealousy knows no bounds

Going to the Tard handbook this early, huh?

Dont watch hockey, fuckstain.

My Basketball team has 11 more rings than your does, and My beloved Silver and Black currently have 3 more Super Bowl trophies than your team will ever know.

:lol:

As far as baseball-Your team of shitbags got flat out embarrased in front of the nation.

No way to spin that, Tigertard.

Hey, at least that laughingstock of a franchise competed for the first time in over 15 years, so you've got that going for you.

My team has stepped it up considerably this millineum (although we had a few damn good teams in the 90's that couldnt close the deal), and is a threat to take the trophy home every year-having done so a few years back.

Can you say the same about yours?

Didnt think so, top tier dumbfuck.

Now Shitcan this horrid thread.