Jake

Post by FATALFART »

its a mans world!
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

'Godfather of Soul' James Brown dies By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer
24 minutes ago

ATLANTA - James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured "Godfather of Soul," whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms made him a founder of rap, funk and disco as well, died early Monday, his agent said. He was 73.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music. Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, he said.

Copsidas said Brown's family was being notified of his death and that the cause was still uncertain. "We really don't know at this point what he died of," he said.

Along with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years. At least one generation idolized him, and sometimes openly copied him. His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson among others. Songs such as David Bowie's "Fame," Prince's "Kiss," George Clinton's "Atomic Dog" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Sing a Simple Song" were clearly based on Brown's rhythms and vocal style.

If Brown's claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question. He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once told The Associated Press. "To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close."

His hit singles include such classics as "Out of Sight," "(Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine," "I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "Say It Out Loud — I'm Black and I'm Proud," a landmark 1968 statement of racial pride.

"I clearly remember we were calling ourselves colored, and after the song, we were calling ourselves black," Brown said in a 2003 Associated Press interview. "The song showed even people to that day that lyrics and music and a song can change society."

He won a Grammy award for lifetime achievement in 1992, as well as Grammys in 1965 for "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" (best R&B recording) and for "Living In America" in 1987 (best R&B vocal performance, male.) He was one of the initial artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, along with Presley, Chuck Berry and other founding fathers.

He triumphed despite an often unhappy personal life. Brown, who lived in Beech Island near the Georgia line, spent more than two years in a South Carolina prison for aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer. After his release on in 1991, Brown said he wanted to "try to straighten out" rock music.

From the 1950s, when Brown had his first R&B hit, "Please, Please, Please" in 1956, through the mid-1970s, Brown went on a frenzy of cross-country tours, concerts and new songs. He earned the nickname "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business."

With his tight pants, shimmering feet, eye makeup and outrageous hair, Brown set the stage for younger stars such as Michael Jackson and Prince.

In 1986, he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And rap stars of recent years overwhelmingly have borrowed his lyrics with a digital technique called sampling.

Brown's work has been replayed by the Fat Boys, Ice-T, Public Enemy and a host of other rappers. "The music out there is only as good as my last record," Brown joked in a 1989 interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

"Disco is James Brown, hip-hop is James Brown, rap is James Brown; you know what I'm saying? You hear all the rappers, 90 percent of their music is me," he told the AP in 2003.

Born in poverty in Barnwell, S.C., in 1933, he was abandoned as a 4-year-old to the care of relatives and friends and grew up on the streets of Augusta, Ga., in an "ill-repute area," as he once called it. There he learned to wheel and deal.

"I wanted to be somebody," Brown said.

By the eighth grade in 1949, Brown had served 3 1/2 years in Alto Reform School near Toccoa, Ga., for breaking into cars.

While there, he met Bobby Byrd, whose family took Brown into their home. Byrd also took Brown into his group, the Gospel Starlighters. Soon they changed their name to the Famous Flames and their style to hard R&B.

In January 1956, King Records of Cincinnati signed the group, and four months later "Please, Please, Please" was in the R&B Top Ten.

While most of Brown's life was glitz and glitter, he was plagued with charges of abusing drugs and alcohol and of hitting his third wife, Adrienne.

In September 1988, Brown, high on PCP and carrying a shotgun, entered an insurance seminar next to his Augusta office. Police said he asked seminar participants if they were using his private restroom.

Police chased Brown for a half-hour from Augusta into South Carolina and back to Georgia. The chase ended when police shot out the tires of his truck.

Brown received a six-year prison sentence. He spent 15 months in a South Carolina prison and 10 months in a work release program before being paroled in February 1991. In 2003, the South Carolina parole board granted him a pardon for his crimes in that state.

Soon after his release, Brown was on stage again with an audience that included millions of cable television viewers nationwide who watched the three-hour, pay-per-view concert at Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles.

Adrienne Brown died in 1996 in Los Angeles at age 47. She took PCP and several prescription drugs while she had a bad heart and was weak from cosmetic surgery two days earlier, the coroner said.

More recently, he married his fourth wife, Tomi Raye Hynie, one of his backup singers. The couple had a son, James Jr.

Two years later, Brown spent a week in a private Columbia hospital, recovering from what his agent said was dependency on painkillers. Brown's attorney, Albert "Buddy" Dallas, said singer was exhausted from six years of road shows.
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

FATALFART wrote:its a mans world!
one fewer men.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Some dumbfuck on foxnews just said he died too young.

wtf?

73 years of living as hard as james did is pretty damn good, if you ask me.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:Some dumbfuck on foxnews just said he died too young.

wtf?

73 years of living as hard as james did is pretty damn good, if you ask me.
Word.

sin

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

The best musical talent America (and by extension, the world) ever produced.

Fuck Xmas, the records are coming out tonight.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Sorry, nish, but the godfather of soul is a distant second to the god of soul, Ray Charles.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

Nishlord wrote:The best musical talent America (and by extension, the world) ever produced.
I'm going with the father of Rock n Roll...

With Little Richard coming in as #2.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Did he go out on the good foot?

R.I.P Godfather. A true legend has passed.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Toddowen wrote:The indicators were all there for someone with insight to hit upon: black ...
You're saying a higher percentage of blacks than whites die? Jeez, do I feel stupid. I always thought both groups checked in at 100%, +/- 0%. Guess I learn something new every day.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote:
Nishlord wrote:The best musical talent America (and by extension, the world) ever produced.
Here we go with another shit list.

Just for the record, now that JB's gone, given a chance today to see either a show by James Brown or a show by Jimi Hendrix, I would chose the latter without hesitation.
James Brown
Robert Johnson
Jimi Hendrix

Shows how narrow minded people around here are.

Those three are all great talents, but when you're making any claim about "the best musical talent America ever produced", you might want to expand the list of people you consider, like

George and Ira Gershwin
Irving Berlin (OK born in Russia but immigrated the same year)
Duke Ellington
Leonard Bernstein
Van Cliburn
Wynton Marsalis
Stephen Foster
Scott Joplin
John Coltrane
Frank Sinatra
Quincy Jones
Elephants Gerald
Robert Zimmerman
Leo Kottke
etc
etc

To name a few of the top of my head.

In other words lots of musical genius expressing itself in lots of different ways. To call any of them "the greatest talent ever" is just ignorant.
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Don't worry, any minute now, he'll throw off the sheet they have pulled over his head and bust into a stompin rendition of Please, Please, Please...
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Whatcha mean the King of Soul is dead!? Happy Kwanzaa!

I've got a JB story...

Back in the early 80's JB was playing his fave S.F. gig, the Venetian Room in the Fairmont Hotel. I went with a cute chick and we were sitting in the back (the place only holds about 250 anyway so it was still a close seat), and as the end of the show came near, I could see a couple of hotties on the side who really wanted to dance...so I just ran right over and said, "let's dance" and they just jumped up with me and we went straight down to the "dancefloor" in front of the stage. Well, the dancefloor in the Venetian Room is a postage-stamp, about 5' by 6' at most. And the stage is only about eight inches high. And James was only about five-foot-six. But it was so hot and jamming that for about two minutes I didn't realize that I was RIGHT in front of him (24 inches, max) and blocking him from sight--and I was completely dancing like an over-eagar 21-year-old kid--total abandon. And then I noticed that the snotty yuppies in the front row were pissed because I was also blocking them. But I shamelessly used my "open dance floor" permission, as it were, to just ignore them and keep on dancin'! James was getting seriously steamed--as the ending quick montage commenced--I Feel Good, etc.--and in a fit of pure funk diva, he just stormed off the stage, leaving the band to keep pumping for another five minutes. No encore, and when I strode goober-like up to James' long-time guitarist (who died two days later) and asked him if the King was returning for a another tune, he kind of laughed and said "no way." It was great, and I regret nothing.
silvurna
Elwood

Post by silvurna »

question...SRO please ...When A Caucasian dies of other than drowning, immolation etc, he becomes cyanotic. If a dark-skinned dude croaks , what color does the corpse turn?
"The big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing...I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass."
The Eagles
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

LTS TRN 2 wrote: I went with a cute chick and ...
I call bullshit. San Fransisco and cute chick? :meds:
Of course you are a tard in real life also. What a tool.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Trollfessor
Mary Ann tried harder, Ginger was better

Post by Trollfessor »

Nobody cares, you short fuck.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

silvurna wrote:question...SRO please ...When A Caucasian dies of other than drowning, immolation etc, he becomes cyanotic. If a dark-skinned dude croaks , what color does the corpse turn?
Serious answer: Grey/ash
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Cuda wrote:Don't worry, any minute now, he'll throw off the sheet they have pulled over his head and bust into a stompin rendition of Please, Please, Please...
...bwah...

:lol:

WAR Soul Brother Number One. May he funk in peace.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Toddowen wrote:I even question the "Godfather of soul" moniker attached to JB. "Godfather of FUNK" would be more accurate.

I admire James Brown and all, but he was an extremely overrated one trick pony. Apart from a change early in his career from doo-wop blues to funky rhythm & blues, he really didn't branch out much and was limited to shouts and screams backed by a tight horn unit. Toss in some theatrical onstage twist and turns.

Very limited scope and little depth. He'll have his place in history. But little would be different if he'd never been known to the music world. Soul, Funk, Rap, would all still have been born without him. His contribution to them is little more than an asterisk honorable mention in the occasional tribute song.

RACK him for doing more than I ever will musically, and RIP.
what ^^^^ said.

james was undoubtedly the king of a very narrow genre, soul or more precisely funk. He ruled it, but, never strayed from that style. What gives Ray Charles number 1 billing, imho, as the greatest musical performer evah is his ability to absolutely pwn any style of music he chose. One of, if not his best album ever is country and fukking western!!!! And no one with 3 brain cells and a functioning tympanic membrane can question the fact that his rendition of america the beatiful is atleast 900 times better than anybody elses.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

James Brown was a showman more than anything else. Brown ruled in the "narrow genre" because of the big production he brought with him. And his style sustained him throughout the years that followed.

He dominated the soul brother's top singles list found in the back of Jet Magazine for years. Yet, his songs all sounded the same. The same grunts and yells. He sang it and he worked it.

Meanwhile, I was listening to the Temptations.
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

Bobby42 wrote:
Meanwhile, I was listening to the Temptations.
Fuckin' A!

The only problem with this... you left out the "Four Tops".

I saw them back in the 80's in Santa Barbara playing together on "State Street".

If I'm not wrong... it was the Cabrillo Theater on the 900 block.

As I recall, I walked all the way from "San Andreas" street that night.
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

Toddowen wrote:
420 wrote:
Right:meds:
You never made it out of the psychedelic shack that night....in fact, you're still there.
I've always had your back... owentodd.

All ask of you...

Keep Yourself Alive
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

420 wrote:
Toddowen wrote:
420 wrote:
Right:meds:
You never made it out of the psychedelic shack that night....in fact, you're still there.
I've always had your back... owentodd.

All ask of you...

Keep Yourself Alive
you and tardowen could combine your powers to do the world a favor: step in front of a city bus. two turds with one stone.
XXXL
Rainmaker

Post by XXXL »

Rock n Roll Daddeo in that great jukebox in the sky...
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

1) rack Coodes

2) Godfather of funk is more appropriate but he is still soulbrother #1, hardest working man in show business, Mr. Please Please Please, Mr. Dynamite AND the eternal godfather of soul.

3) He was a great performer. He was more of a showman than Ray Charles. Do not confuse that ability with the ability to write a damned fine song.

4) He isn't an asterisk. He didn't make rap, but he can dig rappin'. The producers and DJs making records in the late 80's knew JB and used his songs constantly. His music put a giant footprint on the hip-hop of those days.

5) James Brown is 5000 times the musician that Hendrix was.
why is my neighborhood on fire
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Bizzarofelice wrote:5) James Brown is 5000 times the musician that Hendrix was.
Hmmm....

If Pujols died in a car accident today, would you also say Musial was 5000 times the player that Albert was?
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:If Pujols died in a car accident today, would you also say Musial was 5000 times the player that Albert was?
Nope. Musial was three times the player Albert is... currently.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bizzarofelice wrote:1) rack Coodes

2) Godfather of funk is more appropriate but he is still soulbrother #1, hardest working man in show business, Mr. Please Please Please, Mr. Dynamite AND the eternal godfather of soul.

3) He was a great performer. He was more of a showman than Ray Charles. Do not confuse that ability with the ability to write a damned fine song.

4) He isn't an asterisk. He didn't make rap, but he can dig rappin'. The producers and DJs making records in the late 80's knew JB and used his songs constantly. His music put a giant footprint on the hip-hop of those days.

5) James Brown is 5000 times the musician that Hendrix was.
5000 times the musician?

bullshit.

a better showman? maybe.

As for james being a better showman than ray, showmanship is in the eye of the beholder, I 'spose. I'll take ray and his piano over some incoherent stumbling old dude with really silly looking hair.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I'll take ray and his piano over some incoherent stumbling old dude with really silly looking hair.
Yeah cause James' career started when he was 60, right retard?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

This debate is retarded. How can you take two guys from two different genres and make any sort of statement about who's "better?" It's like debating who's the better "baseball player" between a pitcher and a hitter.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
I'll take ray and his piano over some incoherent stumbling old dude with really silly looking hair.
Yeah cause James' career started when he was 60, right retard?
all right, douchebag. I'll give you that he wasn't always old, but, dude was incoherent from the start. Ever see eddie murphy's routine?

"what the fukk is james sayin'? I don't know, but we gettin' paid, so keep on playing" prolly fukked up the quote, but, it was true as hell.

james never muttered a complete coherent sentence in his life, but so what.
warren

Post by warren »

Mikey wrote:
Toddowen wrote:
Here we go with another shit list.

Just for the record, now that JB's gone, given a chance today to see either a show by James Brown or a show by Jimi Hendrix, I would chose the latter without hesitation.
James Brown
Robert Johnson
Jimi Hendrix

Shows how narrow minded people around here are.

Those three are all great talents, but when you're making any claim about "the best musical talent America ever produced", you might want to expand the list of people you consider, like

George and Ira Gershwin
Irving Berlin (OK born in Russia but immigrated the same year)
Duke Ellington
Leonard Bernstein
Van Cliburn
Wynton Marsalis
Stephen Foster
Scott Joplin
John Coltrane
Frank Sinatra
Quincy Jones
Elephants Gerald
Robert Zimmerman
Leo Kottke
etc
etc

To name a few of the top of my head.

In other words lots of musical genius expressing itself in lots of different ways. To call any of them "the greatest talent ever" is just ignorant.
While I concur with your brilliant evaluation of great American artists, I am shocked at the ommission of one of our National Treasures, "Weird" Al Yancovic.

He single handedly revived the American musical revolution.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

smackaholic wrote:james never muttered a complete coherent sentence in his life
Yet I'm somehow able to recollect the lyrics to half his catalog? Am I doing it phonetically?

I base my music takes on knowledge, not Eddie Murphy routines.

P.S. You dropped your ice cream.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Bizzarofelice wrote:I base my music takes on knowledge, not Eddie Murphy routines.
Bwaa. That's gonna leave a mark.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

I suppose it would mean she was, from time to time, a guest in Mr. Brown's home.
He got in, I'd say let Tomi in too.
Shit. Dude's bankrupt anyway.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.