Big 12 Championship - NU/OU Call it

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Big 12 Championship - NU/OU Call it

Post by At Large »

I haven't written much on this board this year. I don't know it it's apathy or the fact that I've been freaking busy at work. With that said, I got a reprieve today when I was told that the software that I was testing would be delayed, so I have more time. Thank God.

So anyway. Let's break down this game. I have to be honest. You OU fans have been really pissing me off lately some of your comments about NU, but let's try to be civil as we break down the game.

QB - According to Lou Holtz, he loves Paul Thompson because of how he can take a hit. Apparently, he didn't notice Zac Taylor getting pummeled the last two years. And Lou loves Thompson's 7 interceptions, which must be better than Taylor's 4 Ints. Hmmm... I hate to go against Lou, but I have to think NU has the edge at QB what with the AP and Coaches first team QB. Zac has had a great year. He's thrown 24tds to 4 ints. I believe he's only had one game in which he threw for less than 50 percent and that was the OSU game.

RB - OU, but NU has a decent one in BJax
TE - OU. Ours suck ass, which is why they don't see much action.
Receivers - I have to admit that I haven't really seen your receivers much, but I have to pick ours. I'm only basing this on NU's production in the red zone and total offense numbers. NU is 9th in the country in total offense, which blew my mind when I read that because it doesn't seem like it. Also, NU scores 83 percent of the time in the red zone to lead the Big 12. OU is somewhere in the 60-70 range. Lots of weapons in Purify, Nunn, Swift, Peterson, Hardy and a few others.

O - Line - Considering our off/on again protection, I'd pick you guys. It'll be tough to stop your run game, but NU seems to rise up against the big teams. I don't think Texas scored one TD against our defense in the red zone.

D - Line - NU (almost even). Giving NU the edge here because NU has seniors across the board with Carriker coming on strong lately.

I'm tired and need sleep so someone else can fill in the rest.

I think the national media and sooner fans (judging from your message boards) seem to think that OU winning is a done deal. They seem very unconcerned about NU.

I think NU will come ready to play. Being from Norman, Zac wanted last year's game bad and came close. He's a lot better this year. I think he'll play well. NU will bring a lot of fans, it'll be cold. The intangibles mostly favor NU in this game. Hell, NU practiced outside today in 20 degree weather to get acclimated! Now that's dedication.

Win or lose, I think it'll be a great game. I hope for a storybook ending for Zac Taylor this year and not just because he's a Sooner fan turned NU player. The guy took an absolute beating last year and survived it. He's worked damn hard this year. I hope it pays off.

NU 31, OU 24

(My Texas friend says NU by 14 by the way...)
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

Any OU fan who doesn't respect this rivalry and is not civil when discussing with Nebraska fan is dead to me. Not that they care...

At Large, I can't speak for the national media, but the reason you're picking up the bad vibes from OU fan is that you're reading the homer message boards. I swear that OU Insider is some science experiment gone horribly wrong. Rivals and Sooner Fans aren't much better. Real OU fans (i.e. those who can spell OU) have nothing but love for the Huskers and know that this game is going to be as tough as any OU has played this year.

I don't have any problems with your breakdown. I think it'll be decided in the 4th quarter. OU's running game may be the key if the weather is bad. It's a toss-up.

I'll say OU 24, Nebraska 20.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Two things:
1. One or two of you guys here make references to us as the Bugeaters, which is shit that only Kstate or CU fans do. That to me, shows a sign of disrespect. There have been other comments that seemed snide, but I can't specify anything right now. I think it has more to do with your hatred of Callahan, which I understand, but to a point.

2. According to the Omaha World Herald, NU's Red Zone TOUCHDOWN efficiency is tops in the Big 12. I should have specified that, but I was tired when I wrote the topic, so forgive me.
NU - 46 red zone trips, 38 TDs, 83 percent
OU - 45 red zone trips, 28 TDs, 62 percent
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

I wouldn't take the Bugeater thing seriously. Hell, there used to be a Husker fan on this board with the username AK in Bugaha.

You're right about OU fan's disdain for Callahan. But, remember, most of the reason we collectively dislike him is because of the way he behaved in his first experience with the OU/NU game. Many feel he was not respectful of the Sooners or the rivalry itself.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

I'll cop to using the expression Bugeaters.....which i don't mean as disrespectful but as a colorful and unique part of NU's history. My family was in the Oklahoma Territory decades before it opened....trading with the Cherokees...i wouldnt be surprised if they ate a few bugs. if it IS seen as derogatory i will consider not using the expression.....but i also don't feel the imperative to cowtow to NU fan's sanctimonious sense of being above jibe--which i have witnessed on other boards. I also think you might need to grow a little thicker skin.

you can play all the disrespect stuff you want, but the road goes both ways and as far as the respect of the rivalry being sullied, yes, it's hard not to point at your coach (who like it or not represents your team, school, fans, and state) as throwing the first stone here in the post Big 8 era.

Do you want to tell me that NU fans would have just let 1. the effin hillbillies comment.. 2. the Delone incident (yes, i know) 3. the alleged "throatslash"....wash off their back with no tarnish toward their opinion of an old, respected rival. if you say "yes", i think you are full of shit.

are you willing to be on board uncategorically, without qualification for never showing "disrespect" to OU on these here CFB boards?

am i also correct in remembering that you are young enough (by your own admission) not to have really seen the vintage Switzer-Osborne games? so, if so, thanks for the lecture.

to me, it sounds you care less for an equanimity of respect but that Nebraska be treated with some extra ration of praise--.

that said, Nebraska was my second favorite team for 20 years....i can't say that now. Have you ever pulled for OU season after season except for one game a year? Really.

i think Taylor gives NU an advantage on 3rd and long over (hate to say it) Paul Thompson.
Last edited by King Crimson on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I'll take "Great Games from 2000-2001" for $800, Alex
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

War Stoops wrote:OU's running game may be the key if the weather is bad.
Snow's ended in KC. It will be clear, but cold as shit.
It's a toss-up.
Yep.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

OU by 3.5

If I had to bet, I'd take NU and the points.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

20-17 Nebraska
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Re: Big 12 Championship - NU/OU Call it

Post by Cornhusker »

At Large wrote:QB - According to Lou Holtz, he loves Paul Thompson because of how he can take a hit. Apparently, he didn't notice Zac Taylor getting pummeled the last two years. And Lou loves Thompson's 7 interceptions, which must be better than Taylor's 4 Ints. Hmmm... I hate to go against Lou, but I have to think NU has the edge at QB what with the AP and Coaches first team QB. Zac has had a great year. He's thrown 24tds to 4 ints. I believe he's only had one game in which he threw for less than 50 percent and that was the OSU game.
I heard grandma Holtz's babbling last night too.
[bradish]I wanted to reach through the screen and snap his pencil neck with my big powerful corn fed hands[/bradish]
That fuck didn't even breath Zac Taylor's name! All the while sticking his lizard tongue up Thompson's ass. Nor did Mark the mouth May. Reese Davis was the only guy to make a passing remake. Big deal.
Fuck! The kid IS THE Big 12 playa of the year bitches!
I tell ya, ESPN HATES Nebraska!

Rant over.

I know at mid season I was thinkin' NU could beat an OU team without AD.
Then they dedicated themselves to pounding the ball on opponents and have been very good at it. Not asking Thompson to win the game.
NU has terrible second level tackling ability (or lack thereof)
NU is surrendering 4.1 yards per attempt on the ground, mostly from big plays due to the above mentioned deficiency.
OU is getting almost 5 yards a pop.
Therein lies this game.
NU cannot miss tackles if they plan on winning and they haven't shown they can remedy that.
Shanle, Rudd, Green are not to be confused with Urlacker or Lott..fat chance.. let's see they occupy the same planet..theirs the comparision. (HTF Rudd was named 1st team All Big 12 is a freekin' joke)
Also, if OU can get pressure with 4, NU's offense will not be doing any running.
If they can protect, OU will need to play coverage and the running lanes will be freed up somewhat.
NU just needs to run enough to keep OU on there heels so they can't attack at will.
Against USC NU had 93 yards on 36 tries and 71 yards on 24 carries against Texass.
If they can't do any better than that OU wins, again.

I'd say OU has the best chance of winning statistically, but intangbles (1.Zac Taylor 2. OU's turnover problems, 2b. the cold, they're due, none vs. OSU)-we've had some too-and 3. NU's determination in big games...has been the norm lately
4. Callahan's "look what I can do now" offensive play calling...if it works, and it mostly does, will make this a nail biter.

I promise OU fan no sitting on the ball just to get on the plane..or in this case, bus.

This game will not be a laugher for anyone.

Go Big Red!
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

If Nebraska can slow down our running game: OU - 24 / NEB - 17

If Nebraska cannot slow down our running game: OU - 35 / NEB - 17

I don't think that the 'skers can score more than 17 against our defense... without the help of our offense, anyway. Thompson won't make any mistakes, and I think that our guys will be able to hang onto the ball. Bob Stoops is a lot of things, but a champion is one of them too, and, frankly, he's got to get back to proving that or back to the drawing board. This game will be that statement... one way or the other. Everybody knows that we got screwed... badly... in Oregon. This game could be our chance to screw 'em back a bit.

We got dropped, pre-season polls-wise, when Bomar and Quinn were dismissed. We struggled early whlie Thompson and our line got their feet under them, but we had the best player in the country to help us get through that. We went to hostile Oregon and suffered the biggest buttfucking since Deliverance, and then shortly thereafter, lost to Tejas. Since then, though, our defense has come alive, as has our offensive line. Not for Gordon Reise, we're a one-loss team, and, with our wins and our losses (not the Tejas game, but Bomar, AD, etc...) I think we're in the talk for the championship game. BUT, we had too far in the polls to climb. I really feel like Bob Stoops has something to prove, and, if they lose this game, it'll be because we were out-played, not out-prepared. I think we were MEANT to win this game. GOD wants us to win this game. This game is the reason that God created beer, pussy, and cheap green fees. Going through life without winning this game will be like never experiencing a threesome, or never getting to see your child's birth... or never experiencing a threesome. Games like this are the reasons that God created Saturday's. If this game were a woman, I would play with its titties.

Wait, you mean it's not tOSU / Michigan?

Fuck it, we're out.

Sin,
The Worldwide Leader

It's bullshit. OU and fucking Nebraska are playing for a CHAMPIONSHIP and I'm not seeing shit for coverage. Tradition means jack shit to all of these "_____ is the greatest team ever," f*ckers. It's all now, now, now. Well, when it comes to REAL football fans, OU / Nebraska will always be NOW.

Fuck, I'm ready for tomorrow.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i think OU will have to do more than the let's score 24 points, shorten the game, and let the D win it for us in this one. that's the horse we've been riding.

we're ripe for someone to take advantage of how aggressive Venables has been on D since the ISU game.

both kickers are pretty good.

jus' sayin.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

the_ouskull wrote:I think we were MEANT to win this game. GOD wants us to win this game. This game is the reason that God created beer, pussy, and cheap green fees. Going through life without winning this game will be like never experiencing a threesome, or never getting to see your child's birth... or never experiencing a threesome. Games like this are the reasons that God created Saturday's. If this game were a woman, I would play with its titties.
bwah, that was some good shit.

Leave it to skull to bring the funnay to a thread that looked like it was going to be a circle jerking reach around of OU/NU fan holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

OU, on paper at least, is the better team by far in my estimation. But I like NU for the simple reason that this will be almost like a home game to them. I expect Corn fan to out number Sooner fan by 3-1 at Arrowhead on Saturday nite.

NU - 27
OU - 24
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

OU will run the ball all day.
31-24
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

DiT wrote:OU will run the ball all day.
31-24
Whew...thank God it's a night game. [/that wink guy] my shit don't work.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

King Crimson wrote: am i also correct in remembering that you are young enough (by your own admission) not to have really seen the vintage Switzer-Osborne games? so, if so, thanks for the lecture.

to me, it sounds you care less for an equanimity of respect but that Nebraska be treated with some extra ration of praise--.
I don't know who you think I am, but this is the second time you have mistaken me. I am 35-years-old. I am old enough to remember vividly most of the OU/NU games in the 80s, when I became a huge fan. I couldn't eat prior to an OU game and I was usually depressed at the result after the game because of the result. I even blew off FBLA meetings to watch the 88 game, but I guess you could have sworn that I don't know, so I'll take your word for it. :evil:
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

In a perfect (or at least, less imperfect) world, Keith Jackson would be coming out of retirement just to call this game. Nebraska-Oklahoma is the series with which I most closely associate him in my mind.

I'll go with Oklahoma 28-21.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:question the branches on each other's family trees, damnit.
I think the lack of commentary there is due to the idea that that particular part of the country is pretty short on those "branches."

OU 27

NU 17
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

At Large wrote:
King Crimson wrote: am i also correct in remembering that you are young enough (by your own admission) not to have really seen the vintage Switzer-Osborne games? so, if so, thanks for the lecture.

I don't know who you think I am, but this is the second time you have mistaken me. I am 35-years-old. I am old enough to remember vividly most of the OU/NU games in the 80s, when I became a huge fan. I couldn't eat prior to an OU game and I was usually depressed at the result after the game because of the result. I even blew off FBLA meetings to watch the 88 game, but I guess you could have sworn that I don't know, so I'll take your word for it. :evil:

I'm 36. if that's the case, i apologize for the first part sincerely HFAL again. the second, i don't know. i've seen a side of Nebraska fan living in Colorado as i have for 15 years.....that is not jiving with "the classiest fans in CFB". Can CU fan bring you into the muck, sure. but what is is what is.

someone, one of the regular NU posters who DID post something about not running the option to the short side of the field.....because nothing pissed me off more than this.......it still crops up on TV coverage. I've heard TV announcers say it. over and over. nothing could be less true. one seal block and the lb's one step the other way, it's a sprint.

but, i see you don't address any of the other issues. if Barry Switzer called NU fans "fucking hillbillies".....that would be a non-plus for you?

I'm sorry HFAL, sincerely. you saw the same games i did. and me, in person at Owen Field. My dad was at most of them after pheasant hunting up in Nebraska.....and had some Husker buddies who also came down to hunt some quail in western Oklahoma and they all went to game together in Lincoln or Norman.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

King Crimson wrote:
At Large wrote:

I'm 36. if that's the case, i apologize for the first part sincerely HFAL again. the second, i don't know. i've seen a side of Nebraska fan living in Colorado as i have for 15 years.....that is not jiving with "the classiest fans in CFB". Can CU fan bring you into the muck, sure. but what is is what is.

someone, one of the regular NU posters who DID post something about not running the option to the short side of the field.....because nothing pissed me off more than this.......it still crops up on TV coverage. I've heard TV announcers say it. over and over. nothing could be less true. one seal block and the lb's one step the other way, it's a sprint.

but, i see you don't address any of the other issues. if Barry Switzer called NU fans "fucking hillbillies".....that would be a non-plus for you?

I'm sorry HFAL, sincerely. you saw the same games i did. and me, in person at Owen Field. My dad was at most of them after pheasant hunting up in Nebraska.....and had some Husker buddies who also came down to hunt some quail in western Oklahoma and they all went to game together in Lincoln or Norman.
I'll post more when I get home about the things you OU fans can't let go. I almost addressed it, but dropped it because I didn't want to rehash it. Again, I'll post my thoughts later, much later tonight. I try to post very sparingly at work.
AZhusker
Crack Whore

Post by AZhusker »

I for one don't mind being called a Bugeater. I think it is part of the history of a great program. I see this being a great game. If we can tackle consistantly I think we win. Weather forcast like it is, makes me wish we were an option team again. I loved it when it was cold and windy. Makes it tough to pass the ball. Taylor has done a great job of that this season, so I expect that to continue. I think NU comes out at least +1 in turnovers to win the game.

NU 24
OU 17

Stuck in Pac-10 country where everyone thinks this is "REAL" football.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

Cornhusker wrote:
DiT wrote:OU will run the ball all day.
31-24
Whew...thank God it's a night game. [/that wink guy] my shit don't work.
yeah,well......they'll be running so much tomorrow night they'll still be running Sunday afternoon.........or something :oops:
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

I don't mind being called a bugeater by OU fan, for the most part. K-State? Colorado? Fuhgettabout. Them's fightin' words!

As for the game, I like Skull's take on it. and also HFAL's. If OU gets past the front four with the run game consistently, it's going to be a long game for our defense with Taylor getting us to the red zone at least 4 times for scoring opportunities where we will convert 3 times. OU 35 NU 17.

If Taylor gets hot, the D line plays solid, and we get a turnover or two....you can reverse that score NU 35 OU 17. Skull mentioned this game meaning alot for Stoops. I think it means much much more to Callahan. Callahan has no reason to play not to get blown out this year and I think he throws the book at OU. He obviously doesn't care for the Sooners and you know he wants to get 'bode in the worst way.

Whatever happens, a one point win thanks to 3 lucky breaks would make my year. This is the Fuggin' Nebraska, Oklahoma game for the conf. title! I guess what I'm saying is that I would enjoy beating OU tomorrow much more than a BCS bowl win over Boise State should we be fortunate enough to win both games.

I'm fuckin stoked and I know I'll toss and turn half the night waiting for tomorrow to get here!
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Husker4ever wrote:As for the game, I like Skull's take on it. and also HFAL's. If OU gets past the front four with the run game consistently, it's going to be a long game for our defense with Taylor getting us to the red zone at least 4 times for scoring opportunities where we will convert 3 times. OU 35 NU 17.

If Taylor gets hot, the D line plays solid, and we get a turnover or two....you can reverse that score NU 35 OU 17. Skull mentioned this game meaning alot for Stoops. I think it means much much more to Callahan. Callahan has no reason to play not to get blown out this year and I think he throws the book at OU. He obviously doesn't care for the Sooners and you know he wants to get 'bode in the worst way.

Whatever happens, a one point win thanks to 3 lucky breaks would make my year. This is the Fuggin' Nebraska, Oklahoma game for the conf. title! I guess what I'm saying is that I would enjoy beating OU tomorrow much more than a BCS bowl win over Boise State should we be fortunate enough to win both games.

I'm fuckin stoked and I know I'll toss and turn half the night waiting for tomorrow to get here!
Solid.

Rack.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

The more I think of this shit, and the more Natty's I throw down, the more I think NU will win.
Yeah yeah, if I'm a drunkin' Sooner it'd be reversed.

NU really matches well on defense with OU. Ya see, the Soon Doggies wanna hit the hole at the point of attack...don't seem to want to do a lot of misdirection or cut backs. That offense is "get what is there and don't worry about the big play." And with the field conditions, I actually think NU's linebackers & safetys will have a chance to make plays they would otherwise struggle with on a fast track.
NU doesn't like the scat back on a fast track, OU seems to be hit the hole, and run north and south, thus take the tackler head on.
Best kinda running style for Octo, Bradley and Ruud...McKeon could have a big game, but I think he's a bit undersized in the middle vs. Big 12 teams. However his demeanor can drive him to play very well.

Plus, NU clearly has the better passing game, and we all know how tough coverage can be on a shit surface. The ole' "the reciever knows where he's gonna make his cut, thus the poor footing is tough on the cover man" routine.

And I really believe we're hungrier. This game means more to our program, at this time, than what it means to OU.
KC will be Lincoln south tomorrow night.

Yeah, NU 27 OU 20
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

OU wins 35-17.

But I would jerk to it if the final was 0-0. Hard not to be bitter since Texas beat both these teams, was ranked in the top 5, and still had an outside shot with a Buckeye rematch. That was 3 weeks ago unitl they imploded like it was 1999 all over again. Now your two teams are playing for something meaningful while my team went from hopes of the Fiesta Bowl to a trip to Fiesta Texas after two lackluster, uninspired performances. With one QB hurt and the other about to transfer I do have to say these two teams deserve this shot and I hope the game lives up the the billing as a resurrection of a great rival. I just hope hope walk-on Texas QB Matt McCoy is ready for a bowl game.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

King Crimson wrote:

First thing, you must be mistaking me for my evil twin or maybe it was all that crack I smoked years ago... heh heh.

As for the disrespect thing, here's my take on it. Callahan said he knew what he was getting into, but he didn't really. The game started with some bad blood with YOUR guys firing their guns at our players, which led to the incident. I realize grown men should shake that off. It happened. We can't reverse it. So the game ends with NU kicking a field goal to try to salvage something in that game. You've seen Joe Dailey. He talks a great game, but sucks ass. I'd be willing to bet Callahan was under orders from our AD Peterson to not have an embarrassment road trip like the 70-10 TT debacle that same year. So you get that 'play-not-to-get-embarrased' gameplan and when our fullback broke a long run to get into field goal range, he called the field goal. They tried it and made it to avoid the shut out. Small victory? Absolutely, but considering the team was ready to kill Callahan at that point, it was totally necessary. So NU players are celebrating their moral victory and the OU crowd is booing. Callahan probably can't believe it. He's probably heard about how much respect OU/NU have for each other and the crowd is booing. Considering the interference earlier in the pregame warm up with your Ruff Necks, he said what I might have said, "Fucking Hillbillies" probably not thinking he was going to be heard. He was. Now... he has since apologized for it.

In a column by one of your scribes, it reads:

Then, there were those moments against OU. In 2004, after a 30-3 loss at Owen Field, Callahan referred to OU fans as "******* hillbillies." A year later, during a loss in Lincoln, Callahan made a throat-slash gesture.

"I probably made some errors, probably said some things I shouldn't have said," Callahan said this week. "I've apologized for it and moved on."

Of course, after years of keeping it in the family, Nebraskans might have struggled with any outsider. It wasn't so much the change but how Callahan initially went about it.

"I think it took some time, a year or two, for him to understand Nebraska traditions and how vitally important it is to everyone in the state," said Knowles, a past president of the Touchdown Club, a prominent booster organization.

Far more distressing than the departure from tradition were the initial results. In 2004, the Huskers' first losing record since 1961 snapped a 35-year bowl streak.

"It was pretty tough.. It was very tough," Callahan said. "A lot of growing pains."

He admits that taking over NU was a lot harder than he thought it was going to be. He apologized for it and that's it. I don't know what else you guys want from him.

As for what if Switzer had said something about us being F-ing Hillbillies, I'm sure that I wouldn't like it too much, either. However, I hated Switzer's guts all those years simply because he seemed to me a cocky, SOB and his teams broke my heart more often that not. I respect the guy NOW, but God I hated him back then. I respected Gary Gibbs, but why was that? Probably because I didn't fear the guy. I didn't detect a swagger. I didn't detect cockiness like Switzer and Stoops have.

Don't get me wrong. I've had a love/hate relationship with Callahan. His stubbornness has cost us a game or two, but it's because of that stubbornness that NU's won. He's growing on me, although even I don't trust him totally.

So I'm asking that if NU were to win, that you try and give Callahan some respect. He's made his mistakes, but has apologized. Granted, it wasn't one of those long, drawn out "I-don't-know-what-I-was-thinking-I'm-not-some-sort-of-racist" apology like Michael Richards or Mel Gibson, but does it have to be? He's moved on. I've moved on. You guys haven't.

If NU wins, will he get some movement towards respect? I sure as hell hope so because Lou Holtz just called Paul Thompson the Big 12 player of the year! I swear Zac Taylor is getting the proverbial shaft in the national media. It's as if he doesn't exist outside of the Big 12 media. I hope NU comes in with that 'something-to-prove' attitude. They'll need it.
Last edited by At Large on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

campinfool wrote:OU wins 35-17.

But I would jerk to it if the final was 0-0. Hard not to be bitter since Texas beat both these teams, was ranked in the top 5, and still had an outside shot with a Buckeye rematch. That was 3 weeks ago unitl they imploded like it was 1999 all over again. Now your two teams are playing for something meaningful while my team went from hopes of the Fiesta Bowl to a trip to Fiesta Texas after two lackluster, uninspired performances. With one QB hurt and the other about to transfer I do have to say these two teams deserve this shot and I hope the game lives up the the billing as a resurrection of a great rival. I just hope hope walk-on Texas QB Matt McCoy is ready for a bowl game.
i bet you weren't crying in 01 when UT made the conference championship after OU beat UT. though, it's too bad Chris Simms giftwrapped 21 first-half points for CU and Barney.....
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

At Large wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

First thing, you must be mistaking me for my evil twin or maybe it was all that crack I smoked years ago... heh heh.

As for the disrespect thing, here's my take on it. Callahan said he knew what he was getting into, but he didn't really. The game started with some bad blood with YOUR guys firing their guns at our players, which led to the incident. I realize grown men should shake that off. It happened. We can't reverse it. So the game ends with NU kicking a field goal to try to salvage something in that game. You've seen Joe Dailey. He talks a great game, but sucks ass. I'd be willing to bet Callahan was under orders from our AD Peterson to not have an embarrassment road trip like the 70-10 TT debacle that same year. So you get that 'play-not-to-get-embarrased' gameplan and when our fullback broke a long run to get into field goal range, he called the field goal. They tried it and made it to avoid the shut out. Small victory? Absolutely, but considering the team was ready to kill Callahan at that point, it was totally necessary. So NU players are celebrating their moral victory and the OU crowd is booing. Callahan probably can't believe it. He's probably heard about how much respect OU/NU have for each other and the crowd is booing. Considering the interference earlier in the pregame warm up with your Ruff Necks, he said what I might have said, "Fucking Hillbillies" probably not thinking he was going to be heard. He was. Now... he has since apologized for it.

In a column by one of your scribes, it reads:

Then, there were those moments against OU. In 2004, after a 30-3 loss at Owen Field, Callahan referred to OU fans as "******* hillbillies." A year later, during a loss in Lincoln, Callahan made a throat-slash gesture.

"I probably made some errors, probably said some things I shouldn't have said," Callahan said this week. "I've apologized for it and moved on."

Of course, after years of keeping it in the family, Nebraskans might have struggled with any outsider. It wasn't so much the change but how Callahan initially went about it.

"I think it took some time, a year or two, for him to understand Nebraska traditions and how vitally important it is to everyone in the state," said Knowles, a past president of the Touchdown Club, a prominent booster organization.

Far more distressing than the departure from tradition were the initial results. In 2004, the Huskers' first losing record since 1961 snapped a 35-year bowl streak.

"It was pretty tough.. It was very tough," Callahan said. "A lot of growing pains."

He admits that taking over NU was a lot harder than he thought it was going to be. He apologized for it and that's it. I don't know what else you guys want from him.

As for what if Switzer had said something about us being F-ing Hillbillies, I'm sure that I wouldn't like it too much, either. However, I hated Switzer's guts all those years simply because he seemed to me a cocky, SOB and his teams broke my heart more often that not. I respect the guy NOW, but God I hated him back then. I respected Gary Gibbs, but why was that? Probably because I didn't fear the guy. I didn't detect a swagger. I didn't detect cockiness like Switzer and Stoops have.

Don't get me wrong. I've had a love/hate relationship with Callahan. His stubbornness has cost us a game or two, but it's because of that stubbornness that NU's won. He's growing on me, although even I don't trust him totally.

So I'm asking that if NU were to win, that you try and give Callahan some respect. He's made his mistakes, but has apologized. Granted, it wasn't one of those long, drawn out "I-don't-know-what-I-was-thinking-I'm-not-some-sort-of-racist" apology like Michael Richards or Mel Gibson, but does it have to be? He's moved on. I've moved on. You guys haven't.

If NU wins, will he get some movement towards respect? I sure as hell hope so because Lou Holtz just called Paul Thompson the Big 12 player of the year! I swear Zac Taylor is getting the proverbial shaft in the national media. It's as if he doesn't exist outside of the Big 12 media. I hope NU comes in with that 'something-to-prove' attitude. They'll need it.

that's a solid, honest take HFAL. i guess to echo what you are saying.....my beef with callahan was as you say.....he came in saying he "studied up on Nebraska history" when it was obvious he didn't. a good example of that is the orange throwing. go look at any highlights from a NU TD from the back to back OU-NU games in 86-87 Lincoln....it's RAINING oranges on the OU players on and off the field. if he failed to notice that, or somehow whiffed those two games in his "studying up" it's pretty clear he was BSing y'all. so, he's always seemed snakeoil to me.

I just don't like the guy and i never will. i'll give him props if NU wins.....but, i don't think NU would beat OU with a healthy Peterson. i've been watching game video from the last 3 years just to bide the time.....and that kid is a freak. as is, i agree with you about Taylor. he makes great throws every time i see him play....and he went to my high school.....Norman High.

it's easy to grind your teeth over the national talking heads....but they are idiots. they pick some "story" to market and beat it to death (usually one that appeals to population density and TV's per square mile). it's sad but true that the political economy of ratings DOES determine media content....which is something people should keep in mind when it comes to politics and the media as well. BTW.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

?

Post by bradhusker »

this is a solid and very respectable thread, NOTHING is better for big time football at the collegiate level, than a classic OU/NU matchup, for all the marbles, it should be a great game,
cant wait, my pred.?
NU 23 OU 20.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Killian wrote:I'll take "Great Games from 2000-2001" for $800, Alex
i don't think the irony of this post has been appreciated enough. coming from a maven of a team that hasn't won a bowl game since 1988? and appears to be the expert on relevant "rivalries" given that ND has been marginally competitive for 2 recent years. but still got their ass kicked when it mattered....and at minimum was a joke blowout opponent for good teams and lost 7 straight bowl games.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

I think we were MEANT to win this game. GOD wants us to win this game. This game is the reason that God created beer, pussy, and cheap green fees. Going through life without winning this game will be like never experiencing a threesome, or never getting to see your child's birth... or never experiencing a threesome. Games like this are the reasons that God created Saturday's. If this game were a woman, I would play with its titties.
Man, I gotta quit drinking. :D

Although, if it were kosher to rip a sig from something that you wrote, this would be my new one:
College Football: If this game were a woman, I'd play with her titties.
the_ouskull
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Sooners 24
Cornhuskers 20
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

Let's assume for a moment that (A) Coach Stoops has forgotten from last year that Courtney Grixby can't cover in man or zone situations very well (B) Andy Shanle doesn't get Ike slapped by Allen Patrick like he did Ok st. and A&M's Offenses (C) that Ruud and Bradley take their meds for Slow whiteguy syndrome, and we might have an upset victory on our hands..As is I think the Huskers can score plenty of points it's just a matter of keeping OU off the scoreboard, which isn't going to happen..

NU - 24 OU - 28
Last edited by RedHerring on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sooners 28
Huskers 26
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

OU-34
Nebbish-18
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Got to watch the game with about 30 OU fans and 40 or so Nebraska fans down at the Peanut Farm. .
that sounds like a good time. i got phone call from a college buddy at halftime i haven't heard from in a couple years.....he's a Missouri guy. good times.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

This Whole Board wrote:OU will run the ball all day.
Very true. However, I expected to get more than 42 yards doing it. GREAT game by the Husker D. If they hadn't started off the game playing from behind, things might not have come up as rosy... although, honestly, our own D was pretty much fuckin' nails too. Also, our offense impressed the shit out of me today. Considering Nebraska's field position the entire game, I'd say both our O and our D played lights out.

All around great game... It's what OU / Nebraska games SHOULD be, complete with the correct result. :D

I predicted 21-17. I think... It might have been 24-17. Either way, I was either giving our D too little credit or their O too much credit.

If not for Gordon fuckin' Riese...

the_ouskull
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

Nice OU... Circle Jerk going on here.

Congrats, on the Championship!

Are you going to give some love to Cal for winning the PAC 10 for the 1st time in 32 years?

Probably not.

Carry on.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

m2 wrote:Pay attention to me. Pay attention to me.
Also, although I know we're getting onto the toolish one for talking about a non-topic topic... but is it me or did the same guy forge Lebron James' AND Greg Oden's birth certificates...?

the_ouskull