So, how many of you are travelling businessmen??

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Jack
enigma

So, how many of you are travelling businessmen??

Post by Jack »

How long are you usually out on the road?

How far from home?

Is it worth it?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I used to travel some with work. It's fun for a while, but, it can get old quick, particularly if you have a family. I wouldn't mind doing it again, so long as it was no more than about a quarter of the time.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not at present, but have been. My travels were generally short(4-5 days or less), and were never more than 250 miles from home or so.

Probably easier for me than most, being single with no kids.

Whether it was worth it? Well, I was making pretty decent money doing it, so I suppose it was. I was usually working with a bunch of complete animal alcoholics, which led to some prett serious fun times. I believe every last night I've spent on the road over the last several tears has been spent in a bar...always find accomodations within walking distance of a decent bar when your roadbound.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

used to be ---
back in CNY !!
there was this traffic light
two blocks from my house --
i swear it took like 5 minutes
to turn green !! those were
crazy days !!
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Did lead generation for a secondary mortgage company for a year and a half. 5 days a week on the road and various county clerks/recorder offices. It was a data entry job that paid in the high 30's. Which at the time was a fair bit of change for a guy like me who was getting paid 12 bucks an hour to plow snow or manage semi literate warehouse workers.

After 9 months the job had started to take its toll. After a year I was just about stark raving mad. And a half year later I was actually relieved to hear that they were outsourcing the whole lead generation department. For it saved me from having to chose between my sanity or quitting the best paying job by far that I had ever had, up to that point.

I did a little work related traveling after that, but never more than 10% a year. Now that I'm married, that kind of life will never be an option ever again.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

If you're single and have a decent expense account it can be fun and you can actually save money that way. I travel for a few days every two or three months and hate being away from the family, and air travel is a pain in the ass anymore.

I did sneak my chapstick through the security check without declaring it a couple of weeks ago.

:bode: me
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

I went offshore to an oil rig once to fix an internet problem they had going on out there. Fuck that. They try to get me to do that shit again but hell no. Flying in a helicopter may be fun but landing on a rig in the Gulf of Mexico swaying back and forth ain't worth what I get paid.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:used to be ---
back in CNY !!
crazy days !!
BWa. I read this before seeing who wrote it and thought it was wolfman. :)
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote:I did sneak my chapstick through the security check without declaring it a couple of weeks ago.

Nice job!

Especially considering they started allowing chapstick about a month ago. :lol:
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Pedo, nice job you have on the side travelling around in your ice cream truck trolling for young lads.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

e wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:used to be ---
back in CNY !!
crazy days !!
BWa. I read this before seeing who wrote it and thought it was wolfman. :)
so i wasn't the only one
Nope
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

We had a traveling sales guy here that "didn't work out".

After he was let go, it turned out he had crazy pictures of himself saved on the computer he was sending to chicks ('sup Arch) in the locales where we paid to send him. That dude was using us to shuttle him to booty calls.

In retrospect, rack him for hooking up, but UNWAR him because he left that shit on one of my computers.
why is my neighborhood on fire
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I went offshore to an oil rig once to fix an internet problem they had going on out there. Fuck that. They try to get me to do that shit again but hell no. Flying in a helicopter may be fun but landing on a rig in the Gulf of Mexico swaying back and forth ain't worth what I get paid.
Reads like a Jerky Boys routine that got left on the cutting room floor...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

PSUFAN wrote:
Reads like a Jerky Boys routine that got left on the cutting room floor...
It was all those oil rig workers gripping the rails, having fits and screaming "I....WANT...MY...POOOOORRRRRN!!!!"
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
bray2
Elwood

Post by bray2 »

BSmack wrote:Did lead generation for a secondary mortgage company for a year and a half. 5 days a week on the road and various county clerks/recorder offices. It was a data entry job that paid in the high 30's. Which at the time was a fair bit of change for a guy like me who was getting paid 12 bucks an hour to plow snow or manage semi literate warehouse workers.

After 9 months the job had started to take its toll. After a year I was just about stark raving mad. And a half year later I was actually relieved to hear that they were outsourcing the whole lead generation department. For it saved me from having to chose between my sanity or quitting the best paying job by far that I had ever had, up to that point.

I did a little work related traveling after that, but never more than 10% a year. Now that I'm married, that kind of life will never be an option ever again.
Damn, I did not know Taco Bell had a secondary mortgage subsidiary!!! Go figure.
You know I know, and I know you know that I know.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

bray2 wrote:
BSmack wrote:Did lead generation for a secondary mortgage company for a year and a half. 5 days a week on the road and various county clerks/recorder offices. It was a data entry job that paid in the high 30's. Which at the time was a fair bit of change for a guy like me who was getting paid 12 bucks an hour to plow snow or manage semi literate warehouse workers.

Damn, I did not know Taco Bell had a secondary mortgage subsidiary!!! Go figure.
Nah, it was the Phil Rizzuto Mortgage Company. Good times for a while. You know, hanging with the Mick and what not. But pretty soon the hepatitis set in and the liver was shot.

BTW: Another downside of traveling for a living is the constant urge to spend like a sailor on leave. I think I put a couple of strippers in Fort Erie through college.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Did 8 years as a turf equipment sales person and mechanic. On the road 3 days a week, and some national travel of up to 7 days each several times a year. I did not get paid that well, but goddamn I got in some great golfing on premier courses for free. This was when my kids were young, anhd leaving the wife with that sole responsibility was not a good thing.

I also did consulting work for a while, gone about 5 days a month, but make BIG bucks doing that.

As for spending money, Bri... you just got to figure out how to bury those stripper tips and bar tabs in your expense account. I bought a lot of lunches and dinners for clients.

My business now requires some sales travel, and a fair amount of out of town construction type work. But we make GOOD money, the wife travels with me most of the time, and we have an RV to stay in.

Looking to buy another plane this spring, so I can fly, get paid for it and write it off as a business expense, and cut my regional travel times in about a fifth.

If you spend a lot of time on the road for work, you will

Drink a lot, smoke a lot of weed, golf a lot , fish a lot....what's wrong with that ??
Maybe subject to female temptation's ??
Be subject to intensive interogation by wife upon return..
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Mikey wrote:I did sneak my chapstick through the security check without declaring it a couple of weeks ago.

Nice job!

Especially considering they started allowing chapstick about a month ago. :lol:
Yeah, but you're still supposed to put all "liquids and gels" - under 3 oz of course - in a plastic ziplock bag and declare it.

Fly much?

('course maybe chapstick is neither a liquid or a gel, but then neither is semtex)
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

BSmack wrote:I think I put a couple of strippers in Fort Erie through college.
The Ft. Erie Ballet, good times. Maxins & Pure Platinum, stop at the beer store and some chinese take-out.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:
BSmack wrote:I think I put a couple of strippers in Fort Erie through college.
The Ft. Erie Ballet, good times. Maxins & Pure Platinum, stop at the beer store and some chinese take-out.
I spent 6 weeks in Fort Erie once I realized how damn cheap those Chinese/Indian/Pakistani hotels just on the other side of the duty free were. I had a 50 dollar per diem for hotels, so I was always looking for a good rat trap to flop for the night. And Fort Erie was about 2 miles from where I needed to be working at the Erie County Clerk's office. Unfortunately for my bank account, it was a 2 minute cab ride to Maxine's from those hotels. Back then I lived the old Patrick Ewing line about "make more, spend more" to the hilt.

Yes, good times, good times. :wink:

BTW: Remember the pizza place with Chinese letters on the front just down the road from Maxine's? New York style pizza served in Canada by Chinese immigrants. Just a little bizzare.
Last edited by BSmack on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ahhhh, the Patel family.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I travel 'bout 40-50%. Trips away can range from an overnight to as much as 14-16 days. Travel all over the lower 48, Canada, w/the occasional venture to Europe.

Over all, I really enjoy it.
1. Opportunity have some great food
2. Opportunity to play some great golf
3. Opportunity to see some of the great areas of this country.
4. Trips away from the family are not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone needs time away and it can be very therapeutic, especially when on a golf course.
5. Air travel. I actually like it for the most part, long delays aside.

What I don't like:
1. Being away from the family for extended periods.
2. A constant reminder of just how shitty the region is that I live in. There are so many other great parts to this country
3. Filling out expense reports- what a PIA.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Ken wrote:expense reports... what a PIA.
Whiny bitches who can't put ten minutes into an expense report are the PIA. You don't get reimbursed until you tell us what our money actually did for the company.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
Whiny bitches who can't put ten minutes into an expense report are the PIA. You don't get reimbursed until you tell us what our money actually did for the company.
You've got an expense report that only takes 10 minutes a week to fill out and maintain?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I travel maybe 1x a quarter for 1-2 nights max and it's usually to TX or GA so at most I'm dealing with 1 hour time difference. Rack corporate credit cards eliminating the need to fork over my own change. My previous employer did things that way and I hated it.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
I don't recall stating expense reports were pointless. Nice try though.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:
You've got an expense report that only takes 10 minutes a week to fill out and maintain?

If you were spending $ on the client, list it on the bottom half with accompanying recepits. If you were spending money on your lazy no-client-seeing ass, place in in the top half of the excel report and give me the receipt. If you can't tell me what happened just print out your ACT notes. If you didn't bother with those, I'm not bothering with cutting you a check. Damned slackers think they are so damned important.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
BSmack wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote: Whiny bitches who can't put ten minutes into an expense report are the PIA. You don't get reimbursed until you tell us what our money actually did for the company.

If you were spending $ on the client, list it on the bottom half with accompanying recepits. If you were spending money on your lazy no-client-seeing ass, place in in the top half of the excel report and give me the receipt. If you can't tell me what happened just print out your ACT notes. If you didn't bother with those, I'm not bothering with cutting you a check. Damned slackers think they are so damned important.
Answer the question Claire. You have expense reports that take 10 minutes a week to fill out and maintain?

BTW: I never did sales. Strictly installs and sales lead generation. I'd say on average I spent about 30 minutes putting together T&E reports. No big deal. But I always get a laugh out of beancounters who grossly underestimate the time needed to fill out reports.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:I always get a laugh out of beancounters who grossly underestimate the time needed to fill out reports.
I guess we are quick to forget there's a reason these people are in sales.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Ken wrote:I travel 'bout 40-50%.
Your wife and every swinging dick in the neighborhood thanks you.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Gunslinger
Sir Slappy Tits

Post by Gunslinger »

2 or 3 weeks out of the month. Anywhere in teh US. Indianapolis put in a long service request for me and I'm home for the next 6 weeks.
I fucking suck.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Gunslinger wrote:2 or 3 weeks out of the month. Anywhere in teh US. Indianapolis put in a long service request for me and I'm home for the next 6 weeks.
AP with pizza delivery smack in 3..2..1..

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Ken wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:
I don't recall stating expense reports were pointless. Nice try though.
I don't see where BF said you did. Nice try though.
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Mister Bushice wrote:
Ken wrote:I don't recall stating expense reports were pointless. Nice try though.
I don't see where BF said you did. Nice try though.
I don't see where this is any of your concern. Sweet effort though.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

This is all too much to read.

Somebody drop the link to the farmer's daughter jokes, please
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Cuda wrote:This is all too much to read.

Somebody drop the link to the farmer's daughter jokes, please
What were you doing in there? We was out here having buttered corn!
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

pretty sneaky, sis.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

BSmack wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:2 or 3 weeks out of the month. Anywhere in teh US. Indianapolis put in a long service request for me and I'm home for the next 6 weeks.
AP with pizza delivery smack in 3..2..1..
You sure killed the moment Bri.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

Gebus, all of you guys have the work travel routine over me. I had a job where I basically never had to travel. I serviced my own pick up, riding lawn mower and wife. But I'd see you guys all the time at the airports and hotels. I always wondered where all those two day old, slighly damp from the sweat Del Griffith golf shirts went.

I'd travel to if I could go the John Madden cruiser type of way. Can you imagine sitting next to Derron on a flight from PDX and Tampa? By the time the wheels had come up he'd already told you about some bitch that worked the bar at the Tampa Days Inn that had "tits to die for," and a "an Ann Coulter mouth that could shine a knob faster than Pledge could." Or you could sit next to Bsmack and wonder if he'd ever take his hand out of his pocket. Life is that way.

Rip City