Student Body Right

Dwayne Jarrett Reinstated

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-foo ... 06aaa.html

*gets ready for Reggie Bush pileon*
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Oh surprise surprise, who did Pete pay off?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Nobody cares...

Sincerely,

The best wide-receiver in the Pac 10...

Point being...

I think that apartment complex has to be one of the stupidest and most overpriced apartment complexes in LA. It's situated in downtown LA, which is a ghost town after work hours, within shooting distance of the 110 freeway, and they charge an ungodly sum for rent.

Really, aside from a USC football player who has to live somewhere close to cracktown in order to get to classes (theoretically speaking) and practices, who in their right mind would want to live there, much less pay top-dollar to do so? Considering you can rent a nice apartment in Marina del Rey or Manhattan Beach for a fraction of the Medici and actually live somewhere that doesn't suck, it amazes me that place is even in business.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Almost $13,000.00 in free rent from a booster and he doesn't even miss a game....It pay$ to go to $uC.....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Something tells me the line was Jarrett +13,000.

Vegas gets it right again.

:?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I would like to see a comparable "offense" and its outcome.

This one stinks. At the very least, a suspension was in order in addition to paying back the money.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

he wasnt responsible for half of the rent cause he was only renting a room from the Leinarts and the 650 a month he paid would be more than adequate for any "room for rent" near just about any University in this country, the NCAA did what was right for them to do.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

He wasn't renting a room from the Leinarts. The Leinarts don't own that apartment complex.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

And I'm pretty damn sure ESCN's group of researchers won't look it up either. Of course, if it was NU or OSU, all hands would be on deck finding cases where similar occurences called for suspensions. ESCN, ESCN2, ESCNEWS, ESCN Radio, ESCN Deportes and ESCN8 The Ocho would all be reporting is as if it was bigger than the OJ case.

And sorry Meds, just by saying in the first post "gets ready for Bush pile-on", doesn't mean it is off limits. Jarret's infraciton was a drop in the bucket compared to Bush's. If SC gets off scott free with that (and by scott free I mean anything less than some game forfeitures), then the NCAA and CFB will have taken a huge step back in credibility.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Without looking into anything, the most comparable thing to this that I can think of is what happened with Luke Walton and Richard Jefferson, at Arizona.

Luke and Richard were roomates, teamates and good friends. Bill Walton (Luke's Father) took them to an NBA Finals game.

Richard Jefferson was suspended for some games for recieving extra benefits.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

^^^ RACK ^^^
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

m2 wrote:Nobody cares...

Sincerely,

The best wide-receiver in the Pac 10...

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

did Jefferson pay for the ticket or was the ticket free? Was the game in Tuscon or did Bill Walton arrange transportation to the game for them and what mode was that transportation?

Jarrett paid 650 a month to rent a room in an apartment, the NCAA saw no wrong doing and reinstated him.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

assuming the $650 was say what 1/5 of the rent does that mean Jarrett could only use 20% of everything? I mean 20% of the toilet paper, etc?

Boy the season can't come soon enough this renting shit is getting old...
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

SoCalTrjn wrote:did Jefferson pay for the ticket or was the ticket free? Was the game in Tuscon or did Bill Walton arrange transportation to the game for them and what mode was that transportation?
It doesn't matter
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

I thought Jefferson got a raw deal. Well, I guess it wasn't that bad because he only got suspended one game. However, I don't think what he got was an "extra benefit." I say that because he was best friends with Luke Walton off the court. If Bill, and Bill alone, paid for everything I don't see the problem. There is nothing unnatural about a father taking his kid (late teens/early 20's still kids) and his kid's best friend to a game. The fact that Walton is a rich and famous ex-NBA player is incidental.

The NCAA in effect was not punishing him for an "extra benefit" in as much as they were making sure he can't get "any benefit." It was just the case of the NCAA being overzealous in their rules enforcement so they don't create precedent that other people try and use to make arguments in other cases later.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I dont feel that Jefferson should have had to miss a game for hanging out with his roommate and his roommates family just as I dont think Jarrett should be penalized for paying rent to live with another student-athelete from his school. I wouldnt find it right for any player who is paying 650 a month for a room in a house or apartment to be penalized. If Jarrett was paying $650 a month for a room in an apartment in Norman, OK; Columbus, OH; Pullman, WA or Southbend IN there would be no issue.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

SoCalTrjn wrote:If Jarrett was paying $650 a month for a room in an apartment in Norman, OK; Columbus, OH; Pullman, WA or Southbend IN there would be no issue.
Probably not considering $650 in those places is probably half the rent if not ore than half.

You're homer-sucking worse than Babs, jon, m2 and trex combined, schmick. It's getting...check that...it's gotten old.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Jesus trojan....you don't get it, do you? I guess that since he only rented the room that he didn't use any of the other amenities. Did he use water, air conditioning, heat, bathroom, shower etc.....
My question now is where is this kid going to come up with the money to pay his favorite charity? hell does thie Einstein even know what a charity is? Wait, I know what will happen. Mr. Leinhart will write the check for him.

Don't hold your breath about the Bush situation having any merit because someone will come out with some outlandish bunch of crap that says it was ok that they got a free house from someone. It's ok....it's $C and no matter what they do these days they get away with it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

No kidding. My half of my apartment was $450 at A&M in 1998-2000 and we stayed in the nicest apartment on campus at the time. The fact he wasn't even paying his full $960 stipend, much less the actual fair value of the rental space, shows he was trying to not only accept benefits, buthe pocketed money as well.

So schmickety, if he were to stay in the Playboy Mansion, as long as he paid his $650, that'd be a'ight?

Gotcha.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

So schmickety, if he were to stay in the Playboy Mansion, as long as he paid his $650, that'd be a'ight?
Yep, you got it because we all know the door to his bedroom was boarded so he couldn't use any other parts of the apartment. He only slept there and had a ladder outside so he could come and go.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Laxplayer wrote:He only slept there and had a ladder outside so he could come and go.
At the Playboy Mansion? He wouldn't just GO...
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

:meds:

:lol:
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Come on Jimmy, you know you're enjoying this.
Sorry Indy, Frisco....I meant at his own crib. Hell at the playboy mansion I'm sure Petey and ML's old man would have it worked out where the kid stays for free. That way there's no money exchanged.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

I don't blame Jarrett nearly as much as I blame Leinart's father. Jarrett is 19 years old, and while he should know enough to ask the question, probably didn't figure 650 a month downtown vs. 650 a block off campus was a big deal. Apples and oranges to us, but maybe not to him. I can't speak for the kid.

That said, Leinart's father damn sure should have known and raised the issue/rent - he should have prevented this from happening. I've always viewed the guy's father as a dumbfuck. Matty is his meal ticket (don't believe the reports that the family is already rich). I can guarantee you he's one of the idiots telling Matt to hold out of camp right now. Both dumbfucks in my book.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Not knowing their financial situation how does he afford a private school like Mater Dei? Do they give scholarships? What's the tuition there? I know the private schools where I live, Crespi, ND, Alemany etc....are around 8 grand a year plus fees, books etc......
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Tuition at Mater Dei has gone up, was about $5200 back in 86 for non cat-licks, I think its over 9k a year now for the non believers