Iowa State Grad

Overrated/Underrated teams

Post by TheJON »

Overrated.....
Oklahoma, Ohio State, West Virginia

Underrated.....
Iowa, Nebraska
-----------------------

Oklahoma.....How the heck is anyone talking national title with them? The schedule is relatively easy, but still, this is not even a Top 10 caliber team. Still not sold on Bomar. If Bomar makes drastic improvement, and Peterson stays healthy all season, then I suppose it's possible they could be a BCS bowl team. But those are BIG if's. I don't find their WR's to be all that great either. I know Bomar was only a freshman last year, but he doesn't do much for me. Everyone always talks about his improvement late in the season, but he improved from completely sucking ass to only being kinda shitty. For the OU offense to do anything, he needs to be great. No way.

Ohio State.......Lose 9 starters on defense and Santonio Holmes and they're going to get better??? Troy Smith is a very good QB. But I'm not convinved Ted Ginn is anything more than a good return man with occasional signs of life at WR. Don't see him being a feature receiver. Gonzalez is solid though. But the offense is getting a lot more love than they deserve. Big-10 defenses will be a lot better this year than last. Anyone could move the ball last year against the Big-10 defenses and I think that's a big part of the reason tOSU was so good on offense. Pittman is maybe the 8th best RB in the Big-10. Inexperienced defense going into Austin against that running game = ambush. And then a couple weeks later they head to Iowa City to face one of the most talented offenses in the nation. That also = ambush. By September 30, they'll have 2 losses. And you can chalk another one up when Michigan comes into C-bus at the end of the year and beats them.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

This cant be real.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

This sealed it for me. Jon HAS to be a shared troll. No one person can be this fuckdumb.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Re: Overrated/Underrated teams

Post by Mr T »

TheJON wrote:Contenders.....

Teams time forgot.....
Iowa, Nebraska
FTFY
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

...and another thing. What's with the West Virginia pick? Does anybody REALLY think that they're going to be "there" when it's all said and done? They're just the trendy pre-season pick that always flames out... like Tejas, only trendy. :D

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

the_ouskull wrote: They're just the trendy pre-season pick that always flames out... like Tejas, only trendy. :D
2006 Rose Bowl called. Just said "National Champs said 'sup?"

:wink:

The PrimeX.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

the_ouskull wrote:...and another thing. What's with the West Virginia pick? Does anybody REALLY think that they're going to be "there" when it's all said and done? They're just the trendy pre-season pick that always flames out... like Oklahoma, only trendy. :D

the_ouskull
FTFY
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

the_ouskull wrote:...and another thing. What's with the West Virginia pick? Does anybody REALLY think that they're going to be "there" when it's all said and done? They're just the trendy pre-season pick that always flames out... like Tejas, only trendy. :D

the_ouskull
WV has most of last year's squad back and only a few challenging games. If they can get by Louisville they could definitely play for it all. You gotta look at the sched. OU's sched is a significant reason some experts see them going all-the-way.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Danimal wrote:Image
Is this the welcome back thread? :)

Rack Dan.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Dumbass wrote wrote:Overrated.....

Underrated.....
Iowa, Nebraska
-----------------------

Oklahoma.....How the heck is anyone talking national title with them? The schedule is relatively easy, but still, this is not even a Top 10 caliber team. Still not sold on Bomar. If Bomar makes drastic improvement, and Peterson stays healthy all season, then I suppose it's possible they could be a BCS bowl team. But those are BIG if's. I don't find their WR's to be all that great either. I know Bomar was only a freshman last year, but he doesn't do much for me. Everyone always talks about his improvement late in the season, but he improved from completely sucking ass to only being kinda shitty. For the OU offense to do anything, he needs to be great. No way.

Ohio State.......Lose 9 starters on defense and Santonio Holmes and they're going to get better??? Troy Smith is a very good QB. But I'm not convinved Ted Ginn is anything more than a good return man with occasional signs of life at WR. Don't see him being a feature receiver. Gonzalez is solid though. But the offense is getting a lot more love than they deserve. Big-10 defenses will be a lot better this year than last. Anyone could move the ball last year against the Big-10 defenses and I think that's a big part of the reason tOSU was so good on offense. Pittman is maybe the 8th best RB in the Big-10. Inexperienced defense going into Austin against that running game = ambush. And then a couple weeks later they head to Iowa City to face one of the most talented offenses in the nation. That also = ambush. By September 30, they'll have 2 losses. And you can chalk another one up when Michigan comes into C-bus at the end of the year and beats them.
name me the other 7 RB's in the Big 10 better than Pittman. Um dude did gain over 1300 yards last year and should only get better.

Iowa one of the most talented offenses in the nation...was this the same Iowa team that could only manage 9 points in losses to ISU and tOSU? Come on this can't be real...

how would I have known that Iowa would be underrated? Well with 85 first rounders on schollie how could they be underrated? They should be the team picked to win it all...

off this shit troll please...
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:name me the other 7 RB's in the Big 10 better than Pittman. Um dude did gain over 1300 yards last year and should only get better.
Easy:

Kalvin Bailey
Dana Brown
Sam Brownlee
Tom Busch
Shonn Green
Damian Sims
Albert Young
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Jon picking UM over OSU= worse than the SI cover jinx.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Re: Overrated/Underrated teams

Post by L45B »

JON= wrote:And then a couple weeks later they head to Iowa City to face one of the most talented offenses in the nation. That = Crybaby slamming ball into ground part II.
FTFY

BTW jonny, I noticed you including the "=" more in your posts. How appropriate.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Nice to see Jon is in rare board bitch form already...
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I will say this. Oklahoma is either overrated, or Oregon is underrated going into this season.

Oklahoma won the Holliday Bowl by 3 points. Oregon was driving in, in field goal range with 30 seconds to go and an OU linebacker made a great leaping interception to win the game, and prevent the winning TD.

That game could have gone either way in the final minute. Yet, preasason consensous #3 (and 3 magazine have them at #1), and Oregon is #21 (and unranked by 2 magazines).

Considering the close game, at the Holliday Bowl, that we lost on an interception thrown by last year's 3rd string QB, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances against OU in a home this year.

And I'm not seeing a big enough difference to warrant one team being Top 3 and one barely in the Top-25.

But, I also think Cal is probably another one of the most overrated teams heading into this year. Just another team with no good reason to be considered Top-10 right now. They were lucky to be as mediocre as they were last year. They easily could have dropped a couple more games and not even reached a bowl game. There is no reason to believe that their QB play is going to be vastly improved this year.

Ohio State isn't overrated, in my opinion, but Notre Dame is. If anyone deserves to be considered a strong National Title contender, it's OSU, yet most magazines have ND rated ahead of them. I just don't see it. They just weren't that great last year. Their rep is still based off of a close loss to USC, from a past season, just like Cal's is. OF course people forget that Fresno State put just as much of a scare into USC as Notre Dame, and they did it at the Collesium...Sometimes it just happens.

Notre Dame was a good team last year. Nothing more. They played some good games, and some bad games. Struggled with some bad teams, but beat most teams on their schedule. They aren't national championship caliber.
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

Jay

It is HOLIDAY BOWL dammit!!!

and I think that Oklahoma may be all that this year...I know i am looking forward to our contest this season. That is if we dont overlook Fresno State the week before down there..
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Believe the Heupel wrote:How many first rounders do they have playing this year? 15?
They will lose four games on the way to a MNC.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^^^^^so them and Kal will be playing for the MNC?

Wow not only will two sorry ass teams be in the MNC game but two board bitches going at it to the death...where do I buy my tickets???

mTard vs Jon in a smack off there would be some epoch stuff being spewed there...

mTard - Kal has a great education program
Jon - Iowa has 900 first round picks on their roster
mTard - Kal almost beat SC again
Jon - Iowa while losing to ISU and tOSU again still has one of the best offenses in the nation
mTard - We are still living off of our defeat of SC in 2003
Jon - We are still living off of our Cap One Bowl Miracle...

yep quality shit there...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:mTard vs Jon in a smack off there would be some epoch stuff being spewed there...

mTard - Kal has a great education program
Jon - Iowa has 900 first round picks on their roster
mTard - Kal almost beat SC again
Jon - Iowa while losing to ISU and tOSU again still has one of the best offenses in the nation
mTard - We are still living off of our defeat of SC in 2003
Jon - We are still living off of our Cap One Bowl Miracle...

yep quality shit there...
Let's continue this.

mTool - While dreaming of going to Kal, I decided to start making windchimes
noj - While going to Iowa, I was dreaming of David Hasselhoff and Ryan Hanson

This is pot luck smack. Add your on nojism or mToolism.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
JayDuck wrote:I will say this. Oklahoma is either overrated, or Oregon is underrated going into this season.

Oklahoma won the Holliday Bowl by 3 points. Oregon was driving in, in field goal range with 30 seconds to go and an OU linebacker made a great leaping interception to win the game, and prevent the winning TD.

That game could have gone either way in the final minute. Yet, preasason consensous #3 (and 3 magazine have them at #1), and Oregon is #21 (and unranked by 2 magazines).

Considering the close game, at the Holliday Bowl, that we lost on an interception thrown by last year's 3rd string QB, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances against OU in a home this year.
Of course, you're ignoring the fumble by Adrian Peterson as he was stretching across the goalline (like an idiot) that would have salted the game away.

You're also ignoring the fact that UO's starting QB is gone, as is the far-and-away best player on your defense.

I mean, yeah, the game was close, but ifs and buts.
"ifs and buts"? I didn't say "if" or "but" anywhere in my post. Only that it was a very close game.

Not sure what our starting QB being gone has to do with anything, since he was gone before the Holiday Bowl.

If you honestly think Oklahoma looked like a Top-5 team in comparison to Oregon looking like a team in the 20's, more power to ya. But, like I said, I'm very confident about our chances at home against you.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terrence Whitehead, leading rusher. -- And second-best RB on the team. Seniority had its priviledges.

Demetrius Williams, leading receiver. -- Yup, that's gonna hurt.

James Finley, second leading receiver. -- Lots of recievers to fill the void.

Tim Day-was he your starting TE? -- U of O is a veritable TE factory. Lost Justin Peele, lost Geoerge Wrightster...and the production at TE didn't drop off.

Haloti Ngata-All-world DT. -- By far the biggest loss to the roster. Can't overstate how much he'll be missed. It's kind of nice having a DLineman who demands triple-teaming on every play.

I'm about tired of playing this one on paper though...let the games begin.

RACK CFB...regardless who you root for.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

m2ool - there's a reason Kal QB's suck in the NFL - Tedord is that much better than the pro coaches
Jon - I'll bet you didn't know the Steelers' uniform was copied from Iowa
m2ool - I could have gone to Kal, but decided not to go to college
Jon - Iowa has so much talent, our second stringers could hang with the 49ers
m2ool - the 49ers would kill the hawkeyes
Jon - Oh, real mature, I don't know why I deal with you losers anymore
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Believe the Heupel wrote:You said that it was a game that was decided by a turnover-implying that had the turnover not occurred, the game would have gone another way. While "if" was never explicitly stated, it sure as hell was implied.

It WAS a close game. Absolutely. It's also relevant that those aren't the same teams that will be taking the field this year. Oklahoma simply has more impact players coming back on paper than Oregon does.

BTW, if I recall, Dixon started against OU, not Leaf. He's back anyhow, though.

So, let's see, from players that played against OU in the Holiday Bowl, who's gone:

Terrence Whitehead, leading rusher.
Demetrius Williams, leading receiver.
James Finley, second leading receiver.
Tim Day-was he your starting TE?
Haloti Ngata-All-world DT.
Yes, Dixon started. And he will be the starter when you come to Eugene in September. Leaf is our backup and last year was 3rd string.

James Finley is not gone. He was a junior last year

I loved Terrence Whitehead, but was a converted linebacker, while Stewart was the #1 RB recruit in the nation in 2005. We are better off with Stewart and Johnson. For the record, Whitehead wasn't in at the end of the game, either, when we came back.

Whitehead rushed for 4 TDs last season, Stewart rushed for 6 and Johnson had 2.

Tim Day was not our best Tight End. That would be Dante Rosario, who returns. Tim Day actually had a horrible senior year and dropped a ton of passes, and fell off the draft radar completely because of it. He was a dissapointment last year, and anything but an impact player, only catching 1 TD all year.

Out of the players that you listed. Only Ngata and Williams were even drafted.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

JayDuck wrote:That would be Dante Rosario, who returns.

Beaverton native-btw. I guess his family had aspirations to become the first African American family in the history of Dayton, so they moved...I guess.

The best TE and the best FB on the roster...equally dangerous at either position. I think he's going to play TE full time this year, if'n I'm not mistaken.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Based on CNNSI's numbers, Day had more catches and yards than Rosario. What do you base Rosario being the better player on? Is he a monster blocker or something?
My name isn't Jay, but...

Donte played mostly at FB last year, if I remember correctly. And yes, Donte is a monster blocker, as well. Devastating short-yardgae reciever as well, which lend itself to West Coast offense pretty well.
What do you base Stewart being better than Whitehead on? He had fewer rushes, fewer yards, and a lower YPC than Whitehead. Are we just going off of recruiting rankings?

Some of Stewart's carries (a lot of them) came in short-yardage situations. He's possibly the money-est "goal to go/1 to go" player I've ever seen. With all due respect, Whitehead couldn't carry his jock. Stewart was slightly banged up near the beginning of last season, so he didn't get quite as many carries backing up Whitehead as expected.

Make no mistake...by the end of the season, the whole country will be very well-acquainted with Jonathan Stewart...mark my words. Hell, after Septeber 16th, the world might be saying "Adrian who?"...OK, maybe not quite...but he's a machine.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I never said you were the person who set the rankings. I just made a fairly simple statement. That either Oregon is underrated, or Oklahoma is overrated. I never even said which one, or ones, I personally believe. I never even said that Oklahoma shouldn't be ranked ahead of us. Just that I don't see a 20 place ranking difference, in Oklahoma's favor, between our teams. Do you?

We can talk personel losses all we want, but Oregon finished the year at #12 and OU at #22. I could see that switching, and being a more realistic take (though I still think probably a little farther apart than I see the teams).

But OU is #3, in the preseason mags and Oregon 21. And I don't see a 30 place swing in where our teams ended last year and began this year.

IF Oklahoma is really around the #1-#3 team in the country, then Oregon is significantly better than #21, based on what I saw of the two teams on the field. Or, if we are really only around the 21st best team in the country, then OU isn't a Top-5 team.

Stewart was a true freshman, Whitehead a redshirt senior. Stewart had more TDs, is faster, stronger and a more instinctual runner.

Whitehead had a LOT more experience, got a lot more playing time and was very workmanlike. Solid, but nothing more. Stewart is explosive. It's pretty easy to see. Most Duck fans wanted to see more of Stewart all year long, but Bellotti is very loyal to seniors.

Stewart also led the nation last year, in kickoff returns for touchdowns, for what it's worth, and was in the top 10 in kick return average.

Stewart is just a special player.

Rosario played more time than Day and caught more balls thrown his way, and more TDs. He was also a better blocker. Day got the ball thrown his way more often, but he dropped about half of them. Day started the season, but did so poorly that Rosario took over the position in crunch time.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

We never bring out our best players until we face $C. It may cost us a few losses early in the season, but any advantage we can take against $C for a chance to win is worth it.

-mTard
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Dinsdale wrote: Donte played mostly at FB last year, if I remember correctly. And yes, Donte is a monster blocker, as well. Devastating short-yardgae reciever as well, which lend itself to West Coast offense pretty well.
Dante's a better all around football player. He played H-back (hybrid-back) for most of last year, which was a new position in this offense for us. He was actually on the field more than Day, though and definiately more valuable to us. He would switch between H-back and Tight End last year. He played Fullback his first two years.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Believe the Heupel wrote:"What, is the head coach a moron or something?"
Oh dude...Duckfan has been known to ask the same thing every once in a while.
JayDuck wrote: Stewart is just a special player.

Yup. Don't know how else to say it.

And remember, Whitehead was the #1 returning RB in the PAC10 last season...hard to make him a backup.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

JayDuck wrote:He played Fullback his first two years.

Damn...Dante's a senior now, isn't he?

Time is flying...like a duck.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

[primex]Damnit. Someone step up to the fucking plate and keep the undercard in this thread moving. Do not piss off The Jimmy Medalions. [/primex]
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

So here's what I got from what I skimmed through.....

I bring some solid points about a couple of overrated teams, and knowing that I'm right, your responses are (summed up) "dude, you're a douche."

I'll just take that as "Jon, you're right, we just have no way to dispute it."

I guess I'll take it as a compliment
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

your responses are (summed up) "jon=bitch"
ftfy.

Rack DMX, wherever he is.

Keep on truckin', JON
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Thank you, PSUFAN, for once again proving my point.

So I say to you, Senor PSUFAN, you Keep On Truckin'!
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Iowa will win three superbowls in the next ten years.

--WJon28
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Jon=Douche

has a much better ring than Jon=Bitch...

should we have a CF version of the Main Forum Death Match with Jon and mToool???

Jimmy don't forget Iowa will also win a Div I-AA, II and III title as well they could very well be the most complete team evah...oh and by the way Jon has Ferentz pulled the plunger out of his ass that USC left in it a few years back?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

m2 must be out medievaling...he usually responds to all barbs like his diaper pins are sticking him.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Ahh yes, the first passage of summer to fall. 'Tis not the leafs turning, it's JON telling us all how smart he is and how we cannot refute any of his points.

Brings a tear to the eye. I can smell the tailgating that is just around the corner.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

mTool - beating SC in 03 means we own them
Jon - well even though we only scored 9 points against ISU and tOSU last year we are still the best team in the nation
mTool - total stats mean you won forget the final score
Jon - did you know I play poker for a living?
mTool - strip poker?
Jon - yep
mTool - i am in
Jon - could you invite some of your wind chime buddies as well...

yes Killian this is money in the bank...Jon=Douche posting about how Iowa is underrated and everyone else sucks I guess is the offical start to

A) Hunting season
B) Board Bitch season
C) College Football season

Meds glad I could start an undercard on this thread...but me thinks the undercard has overtaken the main card...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

j=b: Drew Tate would've been a first round NFL draft pick his freshman year of high school.
m2ool: It's pronounced Aye-yube you moron.
j=b: You spelled that wrong.
m2ool: Can you read?
j=b: It was a joke, you moron.
m2ool (quoting herself): Yeah, I know--Aye-yube.
j=b: No, my joke, stupid.
m2ool: Your just like everyone else, you can't keep up.
j=b: It's You're, dumbass.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield