DVD screen capture

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

3putt
Crack Whore

DVD screen capture

Post by 3putt »

I've tried two or three different DVD players and several different screen capture utilities, but I can't find any combination that will actually capture a frame of the video image showing on the DVD player. Everything I've tried so far gets me a picture of my DVD player window and a blank screen where the movie image was when I did the screen capture. WTF?

Dammit, if their movie is on MY computer screen, I should be able to steal a frame from it and wytch it as I please. This copy protection stuff is getting out of hand. :twisted:
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Pause the movie.

Hit SHIFT+PrintScreen.

Open MS Paint (or other program), EDIT, PASTE.
3putt
Crack Whore

Post by 3putt »

I assume it's some protection gimmick programmed into the DVD players. Today I have tried it with WinDVD and InterActual DVD players and Gadwin Printscreen. I've had the same results in the past using different DVD programs and different capture utilities on both Win98 and XP -- just a blank screen on the capture where the paused DVD image was supposed to be.

I can see why some people might want to discourage me from stealing frames out of their movies, but I'd still like to know how to get around it.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Get out your camera phone, take a picture of the screen and email it to yourself.
3putt
Crack Whore

Post by 3putt »

Mikey wrote:Get out your camera phone, take a picture of the screen and email it to yourself.
Bwaahahaha. I'm almost there. I'm thinking I might lose a little of that DVD quality, though.
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

power dvd has a screen capture button on their player. you can either pause and capture or just hit the button while the movies is running and it will save frame by frame if you want to. get ithere It's not a free player but i happened to get it with a dvd player i bought. might be able to download it off kaza or some other file sharing program. here's a picture i took using power dvd from a movie. Image

The movie is office space btw
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

Here i found a copy of it. only $8.99 for version 6.0 that's not a bad price and it will do what you want it to do. here
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Nero has a frame capture as well. You just click the button while the movie is playing and it puts it either in the clipboard on copies it to a .jpg file.

This is from Collateral

3putt
Crack Whore

Post by 3putt »

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I'm just using crappy players.

I haven't seen Collateral yet. Is it any good? It's hard to tell from that one frame... :)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

3putt wrote:Thanks, guys. Sounds like I'm just using crappy players.

I haven't seen Collateral yet. Is it any good? It's hard to tell from that one frame... :)
Got it from Netflix yesterday. Haven't actually watched it yet.
3putt
Crack Whore

Post by 3putt »

DOH! I found a discussion on afterdawn.com after following a link on the DVD Player thread that said WinDVD had a screen capture button. I checked my copy and it had no such button, but after actually reading the HELP file, I saw that it has a hotkey for nabbing frames. Schweet!

From Friday Night Lights:

I haven't watched the movie yet, but dammit, I have a frame on my hard drive! :D
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Can you guys contiue posting frames? I don't want to dish out the caysh for the DVD's and those both look good. TIA
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

:lol:
We could play a game under the books/movies section where you would tell the movie story in 10 frame shots with your own text.