PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

What happened?

HURRY UP AND SPEAK!
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Swinging strike 3 that the ump calls the batter out. Batter runs to 1st, while catcher rolls balls back to the mound. Ump then says the pitch was in the dirt. Strikeout would have ended the inning. Next batter doubles and wins game in bot 9th. Angels hosed.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

horrible call

if you call the batter out(which he wont do if ball does hit the ground) how the fuck can he take a base?
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Ball was in the glove! Talk about an undeserved win.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

it was a cheep win,

and Escobar had battter 0-2. he didn;t exactly have to grove a ball down the plate!
Last edited by Adelpiero on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

One of the worst examples of umpiring in history. They weren't even paying attention and now they look like complete idiots.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

6 blind mice!

Fuck Fox also for rooting for a Chicago win with all the Chicago themed music.

Fuck Fox for putting those 3 moronic idiots in Buck, McCarver and Pinella in the booth. I would rather listen to the game in Espanol!
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

When Paul runs off that should have been the first clue to the ump that he caught the ball.

Pathetic.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Props to the Sox. It's not their fault the umpire was a tard.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:When Paul runs off that should have been the first clue to the ump that he caught the ball.

Pathetic.
When he sees AJ running ot 1st was a clue that it hit the dirt. You can't umpire a game based on player reaction.

We all saw it hit the dirt, the homeplate ump didn't have the right angle and his call was swayed with the runner going to first. the real beef should be with the 3rd base ump saying that he saw the ball hit the dirt.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

The umpiring crew should be not be allowed to call another game this postseason. But knowing car dealer Bud, that isn't going to happen.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Just watched the presser with the umps. Has to be the worst cover up since JFK
Roofer
Elwood

Post by Roofer »

If I didn't have the utmost confidence in the Halos (nevermind I've said Angels in 5 all along), I'd be extremely pissed. Did the ump blow the call? Absolutely (he clearly motioned the batter was out). Did the ball hit the dirt? Appeared to change direction. Will the Halos allow one blown call to cost them the series? Hell no.

Fact is, they're getting a day off and they're returning home. As long as they keep Steve "I couldn't hit a fuckin beachball thrown by a third grader" Finley on the bench, they'll be alright.
See You Next Wednesday

Roofer wrote:If I didn't have the utmost confidence in the Halos (nevermind I've said Angels in 5 all along), I'd be extremely pissed. Did the ump blow the call? Absolutely (he clearly motioned the batter was out). Did the ball hit the dirt? Appeared to change direction.
Not a single grain of dirt moved.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
Roofer
Elwood

Post by Roofer »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:
Roofer wrote:If I didn't have the utmost confidence in the Halos (nevermind I've said Angels in 5 all along), I'd be extremely pissed. Did the ump blow the call? Absolutely (he clearly motioned the batter was out). Did the ball hit the dirt? Appeared to change direction.
Not a single grain of dirt moved.
Dude, the super slow mo zoomed in replay clearly showed the ball moving up. It was just about the equivalent of a "bang bang" play at first base, but even closer. Bottom line is, it was too close for the ump to make the call he did. And this bullshit about Pyrshitski ran to first....he only ran to first after he had taken 2 or 3 steps towards his dugout.

Yeah they fucked it all up, but I could clearly see the ball bounce up after it had moved into the shadow of his glove.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Simply shocking that a Yankee fan would start a "BWAHA Angels HOSED!" thread.

Nothing like a bunch of spoiled losers.

:lol:
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Cross Traffic wrote:6 blind mice!

Fuck Fox also for rooting for a Chicago win with all the Chicago themed music.

Fuck Fox for putting those 3 moronic idiots in Buck, McCarver and Pinella in the booth. I would rather listen to the game in Espanol!

ImageImage

ImageImage
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The ball was very close to skipping into Paul's glove and the ump called the third strike. He didn't point to first base...he made a strike call. I have strong doubts that he knew the ball bounced into the mit. I think when Pierzynski ran to first, the ump actually doubted that Paul caught it and changed his call.

It's a damn shame for the Angels. They came into this series as a slight underdog and came off an exhausting series with the Yankees. They gut out a win in Game 1 and they quite possible could've gotten two wins in Chicago when get one game would be a win in their book. The Sox got a gift and it'll be interesting to see if the Angels let this go or will this linger.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I didn't see it so hopefully someone can shed light on this-

Did the ump specifically say "you're out" or did he just simply motion strike 3?

Much like an ump making a 'no call' when a player misses home on a bang bang play that the plate, if this ump simply motioned for strike 3 then it's on the catcher to throw down to first to complete the strike out.

The ump can't tell what the player(s) to do. He can only call what he sees or in this case what he didn't see.

Can someone let me know what the ump actually did?
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Hopefully someone has analyzed the video of the ump's call over and over.

I've yet to hear from the Angels' catcher whether the ump yelled anything that the catcher could work off of.
why is my neighborhood on fire
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Maybe the catcher doesn't want to get fined for exposing the ump.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

Pierzynski left the batters box without making a movement towards first- he was out.... horrible call
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BBMarley wrote:Pierzynski left the batters box without making a movement towards first- he was out.... horrible call
Now that would change things.. once the runner surrenders himself by making a move towards the dug out, no throw is needed..

Pat Burell does it all the time. :lol: :roll:

Edit- of course.. if the ump never says 'you're out' then props to AJ for recognizing that by running to first. In that scenario it would be on the ump for not calling AJ out..
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

jiminphilly wrote:I didn't see it so hopefully someone can shed light on this-

Did the ump specifically say "you're out" or did he just simply motion strike 3?

Much like an ump making a 'no call' when a player misses home on a bang bang play that the plate, if this ump simply motioned for strike 3 then it's on the catcher to throw down to first to complete the strike out.

The ump can't tell what the player(s) to do. He can only call what he sees or in this case what he didn't see.

Can someone let me know what the ump actually did?
Saw it several times on replay on the news. The ump make the strike motion to the right with his right hand, then as AJ moved towards the dugout, the ump made the "Out" Motion forward with his hand. Very clearly he signaled a strike and then an out.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Rack the Southsiders!

m2
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Re: BWAHA Angels HOSED!

Post by Raydah James »

JCT wrote:NICE blown call!
How are those tee times coming along you fat, whiny cunt?

:lol:

Enjoy watching us lift the Championship trophy you greasy snatch.

RACK my fuckin' sig too, biatch.
Roofer wrote:If I didn't have the utmost confidence in the Halos (nevermind I've said Angels in 5 all along), I'd be extremely pissed. Did the ump blow the call? Absolutely (he clearly motioned the batter was out). Did the ball hit the dirt? Appeared to change direction. Will the Halos allow one blown call to cost them the series? Hell no.

Fact is, they're getting a day off and they're returning home. As long as they keep Steve "I couldn't hit a fuckin beachball thrown by a third grader" Finley on the bench, they'll be alright.
RACK. I feel the exact same way.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Tee times are great, Hows it coming with getting that dried cum out of that dick target?
JCT

Post by JCT »

BBMarley wrote:Pierzynski left the batters box without making a movement towards first- he was out.... horrible call

He doesn't have to "make a move to first" A batter is not out until 1) called out by and ump, or 2) walks into the dugout and leaves the field of play.
UCant's 2,357th Troll

Post by UCant's 2,357th Troll »

Mister Bushice wrote:Saw it several times on replay on the news. The ump make the strike motion to the right with his right hand, then as AJ moved towards the dugout, the ump made the "Out" Motion forward with his hand. Very clearly he signaled a strike and then an out.

Wrong... on SPORTCENTER they showed about 15 pitches called by Eddings during the course of the evening... all night he was consistent.

His right arm was extended after EVERY PITCH where the batter swung and missed.

His pumped his fist after EVERY PITCH that was a strike.

Fuck the Angels for 'not catching on' after witnessing him call 200 pitches. :roll:
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

JCT wrote:

He doesn't have to "make a move to first" A batter is not out until 1) called out by and ump, or 2) walks into the dugout and leaves the field of play.
I thought leaving the batter box and making a move towards the dugout is considered an out?
Roofer
Elwood

Post by Roofer »

UCant's 2,357th Troll wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:Saw it several times on replay on the news. The ump make the strike motion to the right with his right hand, then as AJ moved towards the dugout, the ump made the "Out" Motion forward with his hand. Very clearly he signaled a strike and then an out.

Wrong... on SPORTCENTER they showed about 15 pitches called by Eddings during the course of the evening... all night he was consistent.

His right arm was extended after EVERY PITCH where the batter swung and missed.

His pumped his fist after EVERY PITCH that was a strike.

Fuck the Angels for 'not catching on' after witnessing him call 200 pitches. :roll:
While this is true, it's obvious to everyone that AJ struck out. He himself even headed to the dugout as he thought he was punched out.

I honestly can find fault with all 3 principles in this case. The ump for not clearly indicating whether the play was live or not (he needs to indicate if the ball was trapped or dropped...he didn't)...Pyrshitski for trying to take advantage of the fact the umps head was up his ass, and Josh Paul for not simply taggin the batter before he tossed the ball to the mound. It would be foolish, not to mention un-Scioscia like, for the Angels to try to pin their fate on one blown call. They had other opportunities to perform better throughout the game, and they know it. They will sweep in Anaheim and the series will be over in 5.
JCT

Post by JCT »

BBMarley wrote:
JCT wrote:

I thought leaving the batter box and making a move towards the dugout is considered an out?

Not out until he reaches the dugout steps.
UCant's 2,357th Troll

Post by UCant's 2,357th Troll »

BBMarley wrote:I thought leaving the batter box and making a move towards the dugout is considered an out?
Bronson Arroyo went to within 5 feet from his dugout on a similar play last year and then scooted over to first base and was safe.

How could Cano be called out of the baseline the other night (a total BS call if there ever was one) and Arroyo wasn't?? Dude was could have tripped and fell into his dugout and Cano was inside the baseline by an inch or so??
See You Next Wednesday

BBMarley wrote:I thought leaving the batter box and making a move towards the dugout is considered an out?
Bronson Arroyo went to within 5 feet from his dugout on a similar play last year and then scooted over to first base and was safe.

How could Cano be called out of the baseline the other night (a total BS call if there ever was one) and Arroyo wasn't?? Dude was could have tripped and fell into his dugout and Cano was inside the baseline by an inch or so??
A perfectly legit call in both cases:
It is interference by a batter or a runner when:....(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line and, in the umpire's judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, or attempting to field a batted ball; The lines marking the three foot lane are a part of that "lane" but the interpretation to be made is that a runner is required to have both feet within the three foot "lane" or on the lines marking the "lane."
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

JCT wrote:
BBMarley wrote:
JCT wrote:

Not out until he reaches the dugout steps.
Ahhh.. okay- good to know. Thanks
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there runners on 1st and 2nd at the time? If so, doesn't the rule say you can't go to first on a 3rd strike ball in the dirt if the base is already occupied?

If that's the case, then whether or not the runner is in the base line is irrelevant.
JCT

Post by JCT »

That's only if there are less than 2 outs. In this case there was a runner on 1st & 2nd with 2 out.

Rule: 6.05

A batter is out when_ (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder; (b) A third strike is legally caught by the catcher; "Legally caught" means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the ground. It is not legal if the ball lodges in his clothing or paraphernalia; or if it touches the umpire and is caught by the catcher on the rebound. If a foul tip first strikes the catcher's glove and then goes on through and is caught by both hands against his body or protector, before the ball touches the ground, it is a strike, and if third strike, batter is out. If smothered against his body or protector, it is a catch provided the ball struck the catcher's glove or hand first. (c) A third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are out;
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Ahhh - just so then.
I hate sigs. But I lost a stupid fucking bet because a KC Paul lookalike and his sorry ass team were inferior to the greatness that is the Pittsburg Steelers.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

:roll: Great explaination there Doug, maybe its time to go back to umpiring school:
NEW YORK -- Given another chance, umpire Doug Eddings said he would've been more emphatic in making the call that helped the Chicago White Sox win Game 2 of the American League Championship Series.

If he could do it over, Doug Eddings says he would have made this call more forecfully.

"The only thing I'm down on myself is I should have sold it either way," Eddings told The New York Times for a story posted on its Web site Thursday night, a day after Chicago beat the Los Angeles Angels 2-1 to pull even in the best-of-seven series.

"I should have either said, 'No catch,' or, if I did have a catch, that he was out. Which I never said: 'He's out,' " Eddings said.

Eddings was escorted by two Orange County sheriffs and a Major League Baseball security officer as he exited the flight from Chicago, the newspaper said.

White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski struck out swinging with two outs in the bottom of the ninth Wednesday night, but he hustled to first and was safe because Eddings ruled the pitch was not gloved cleanly.

Thinking the inning was over, Angels catcher Josh Paul had rolled the ball to the mound with the Angels already coming off the field. Eddings' call stood and Pierzynski scored the winning run on Joe Crede's double.

Eddings told the newspaper that he planned to change his style to more clearly reflect the difference between calling a strike and calling a batter out.

Plate umpires are trained to shout "No catch!" or indicate that the ball is in play after a swinging strike; Eddings, who has maintained that he was right in saying the ball hit the dirt before Paul gloved it, was silent.

Mike Port, baseball's vice president of umpiring, told The Associated Press on Thursday that Eddings did nothing wrong and that umpires are not required to audibly call "No catch."
Fuck Mike Port too, the most inept GM ever.