Fires in Napa/Sonoma and beyond

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Fires in Napa/Sonoma and beyond

Post by Mikey »

schmick wrote:

Most of the liberal cocksuckers who are fucking California and Californians are not California born
So, what does that have to do with the asshole who's trying to get California to secede living in Russia?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ia/517890/
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

schmick wrote:Most of the liberal cocksuckers who are fucking California and Californians are not California born

Why are you concerned about California?

You live in Mexico. Which makes you a Mexican.

Just make sure you renew your green card before you try and come up here to California... or, we''ll have to deport you. Or better yet, we might have to build a wall.

There's no need for you to worry yourself with California's affairs.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Well, in your ideal world at least I and my family would get to stay.

So would Dianne Feinstein and Jerry Brown.

Darrell Issa, Duncan Hunter and Rohrabacher would all be gone.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

schmick wrote:And I would also split California in 2 with just north of Fresno being the cut off

That's nice... but, we like California the way it is (everything SOUTH of Santa Barbara) is Mexico.

Get you're green card updated, Pancho... or no California for you.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

schmick wrote:Santa Barbara considers themselves Southern California, they stay with us.
Monterey down is So Cal, Watsonville up is No Cal

Monterey is just over an hour and a half from San Francisco, dipshit.

And Santa Barbara is part of California. Not Mexico.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

schmick wrote:And Santa Barbara is 1/3 of that time from LA.

You Mexicans aren't very good with geography.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Shedick is probably the stupidest person on this board.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Wrong again you stupid filthy racist. Most people from those places consider themselves from Central California.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Moving Sale wrote:Shedick is probably the stupidest person on this board.

He certainly gives Mexicans a bad name.
MsCJ
Jake

Post by MsCJ »

You want Fresno? Deal, let's do this!
Really everything you need to know about me, MP said:
I stopped posting because of msck2trashy
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I thought most stuff in Cali was concrete block/stucco and clay tile roofs? Or is that more a socal thing? Might want to consider it for rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

trev wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:
trev wrote:Mexican Arsonist is usually the culprit in California. That is not being a bigot. It's a fact.
But it is being a bigot when one brings that up when arson isn't even suspected.
What was the cause? You don't know do you.
Nobody knows the exact cause yet.

But what we do know is that numerous power lines were down at the time of the start of the fire (due to 50-60mph winds).

Sorry if that messes w/ your chance to prove yourself a racist....
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

The fat drunken whore has proved her racism well before her posting in this thread.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:I thought most stuff in Cali was concrete block/stucco and clay tile roofs? Or is that more a socal thing? Might want to consider it for rebuilding.

Stucco homes have wood frames and can burn down just like any other house.

Two things that any reasonably intelligent homeowner should have:

Fine wire mesh screens on crawl space / attic vents so burning embers don't get sucked into the crawl space. That's probably the biggest cause of stucco homes catching fire.

Also "bird stop," which plugs up the voids in the s-tiles. Most older homes don't have this but it's pretty standard now, I think.

Also, a huge firestorm will cause enough pressure difference to implode your windows. In that case it's game, set and match.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Diego, I hope it wasn't arson, but sadly, you have to admit, a lot of these brush fires are caused by arson.

And arsonists come in all colors, including white. I just had to get Moving Sales' dirty, holey tidy whiteys in a bunch.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

You being and acting like a racist is independent of my underwear.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Moving Sale wrote:You being and acting like a racist is independent of my underwear.
Being and acting. Ok, little buddy. You are sooooo cool.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Californians showing their snowflakedness once again. Us folk to the north have fires, too -- big ones, due to much more fuel. And we don't build houses without a defensible zone... because that would be fucking stupid. Just got over a fire of similar size in the last couple weeks, not far from the city... lost a handful of homes, not "hundreds," and plenty of people live there.

That fire (along with a bunch of others) drove our AQI (Air Quality Index) up to numbers California hasn't seen (outside of Napa, which is fucked)... for over a fucking month.

Suck it up, buttercups. And stop building houses in a tinderbox. It was only a matter of "when," not "if."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:
Suck it up, buttercups. And stop building houses in a tinderbox. It was only a matter of "when," not "if."
But those shake roofs look so damn good on the cribs. And having that natural vegetation and oil heavy brush right next to the house makes it look so natural, and means they don't have to do much yard work. Plus building on those canyon edges for the great views means the upslope winds will incinerate your house.

They are pretty sure it will not happen to them and of course the fire department will come save them and 300 other houses at the same time.

My property in fire prone Central Oregon has defensible space. I keep the grass mowed down, the juniper and pine trees are all limbed up over 5 feet. I grubbed out all the sage brush over the last few months, picked up the loose limbs and will be burning them legally next weekend.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

I made a client of mine sink 100k into a used firetruck before I would sign off on his farm. Fire came through awhile back and it totally made his defenseable space actually defenseable.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:
My property in fire prone Central Oregon has defensible space. I keep the grass mowed down, the juniper and pine trees are all limbed up over 5 feet. I grubbed out all the sage brush over the last few months, picked up the loose limbs and will be burning them legally next weekend.

My old buddy is a firefighter/paramedic locally, but he has trained for wildfires in Central OR. His unit did triage. If a house doesn't have certain precautions, like a 60' defensible space, and a driveway large enough for a fire engine, they take spray paint and draw a big X on the front of the house, meaning no time or resources will be spent saving that house. In other words -- if you can't be bothered, neiter can the fire department... the Oregon Way.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moving Sale wrote:I made a client of mine sink 100k into a used firetruck
I'm sure you probably meant "fire engine," but OK. A truck doesn't do much good without an engine.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
I'm sure you probably meant "fire engine," but OK. A truck doesn't do much good without an engine.
I seriously wouldn't expect him to know the difference between an engine and a truck when it comes to fire fighting. I mean just getting on one of those things for him has to be like climbing Mount Everest for regular people.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Dinsdale wrote:
You are absolutely right. It was the ad the sellers put up that threw me off.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

BSmack wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
I seriously wouldn't expect him to know the difference between an engine and a truck when it comes to fire fighting. I mean just getting on one of those things for him has to be like climbing Mount Everest for regular people.
I'm under the impression they need both.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I would think an engine would be fine. Keep the tanks full, and be able to tap another water source, as well. A truck is more useful for taller structures. It takes a lot longer to get a truck spraying water than an engine.

A Squirt has a hydraulic ladder, tanks, and pumps. Good luck finding one used, though. And they're extremely large.

Sounds like a simple Brush Rig would be a good solution for the farmer -- but he already has a rig, so who cares.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

It runs. He can drive it short distances on his property, but it's the pump and the water/foam in the truck that saved his farm last time.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Moving Sale wrote:It runs. He can drive it short distances on his property, but it's the pump and the water/foam in the truck that saved his farm last time.
I have all the items required to make my own fire suppression unit. 160 gallon tank will sit on a single axle trailer with a 15 hp engine with 10 gallons of foam injection, and 200 feet of forestry 3/4 inch hose. Not that I will need it at my Central Oregon property since I will have over 100 feet of non combustible materials around my house and shop, with 40 feet of that being green grass. Shop will be metal, the house will have metal roofing and cement siding. The shop and house will have 40 foot radius sprinklers mounted on the corners feed by 1 inch lines. All this shit is pretty inexpensive really.

One more item will be a bucket full of ice and IPA's that I will sit and drink if the fire should get even close to me. Foam everything down and I will be good.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:I would think an engine would be fine. Keep the tanks full, and be able to tap another water source, as well. A truck is more useful for taller structures. It takes a lot longer to get a truck spraying water than an engine.

A Squirt has a hydraulic ladder, tanks, and pumps. Good luck finding one used, though. And they're extremely large.

Sounds like a simple Brush Rig would be a good solution for the farmer -- but he already has a rig, so who cares.
Trucks usually have a 500 gallon tank and need a hydrant fast to keep them supplied since you are pushing up to 500 gpm from a 2.5 inch nozzle (s). Engines have from 750 to 1,000 gallons tanks, and still need a water supply since you can go thorough that pretty fast too.
Derron
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

His is 3000 gal of water and 500 of foam in the truck plus his 10000 farm tank and his pool which probably runs about 25,000.
MsCJ
Jake

Post by MsCJ »

Derron wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:It runs. He can drive it short distances on his property, but it's the pump and the water/foam in the truck that saved his farm last time.
I have all the items required to make my own fire suppression unit. 160 gallon tank will sit on a single axle trailer with a 15 hp engine with 10 gallons of foam injection, and 200 feet of forestry 3/4 inch hose. Not that I will need it at my Central Oregon property since I will have over 100 feet of non combustible materials around my house and shop, with 40 feet of that being green grass. Shop will be metal, the house will have metal roofing and cement siding. The shop and house will have 40 foot radius sprinklers mounted on the corners feed by 1 inch lines. All this shit is pretty inexpensive really.

One more item will be a bucket full of ice and IPA's that I will sit and drink if the fire should get even close to me. Foam everything down and I will be good.
Starts out "I have" and then turns into a whole bunch of "will have" and "I'm gonna"....

While your basket of IPA's sounds delightful and all, you clearly haven't given any thought to air quality. You'll either have a mask covering your face or you'll be inside your compound stuffing wet rags in every tiny crack (Bathroom fans, kitchen fans, door jams, etc) trying to stay stay out of that hot stuffy mask.

The fire was never closer than 4 miles to me and the air quality was unbearable outside, I can not fathom how much it would suck being right on a fire line.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

When we had some big fires around here in 2007 I looked at my pool, which holds about 36,000 gallons, and thought this isn't going to be of much use in case of a fire. So I went out and bought a 7.5 HP gas powered pump just in case it happens again. It hasn't...so far. The fire department around here also keeps tabs on where the pools are.

The house is pretty safe though. Stucco exterior and concrete s-tile roof with bird stop in all the end gaps. Plus fine mesh screens in all the vents. Defensible space all the way around. If a firestorm gets bad enough to implode my windows then, fuck it, I'd better be gone by then anyway.

Fire engine or truck wouldn't do me much good. I could drive it up and down the driveway and that's about it.
MsCJ
Jake

Post by MsCJ »

Bunch of people survived by hanging out in their pools while it passed, fuck that's got to be cold.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MsCJ wrote:you clearly haven't given any thought to air quality
You must have missed the thread that discussed the severe fires in me and Derron's area, where we dealt with falling ash and very high AQI for a month. Not a "couple of days" -- it was over a month. I know it got very bad in Napa for a couple of days... we had AQI over 200, and often over 3 for a month. Some days, I could barely see across the street.

So go ahead and tell Derron all about air quality. This is almost an annual event for us, although it was much worse than usual this year.
You'll either have a mask covering your face
Oh, geez... really. You're one of those people? You know -- the ones who think that a dust mask or surgical mask is fine enough mesh to do anything about smoke? One of those who flies the Snowflake Flag?

We had a name for those people around here... but we were too busy laughing to be able to call them that.

But yes -- the dense smoke and falling ash is tough on the sinuses. Didn't stop me from fishing and playing golf or anything, but it's unpleasant.
or you'll be inside your compound stuffing wet rags in every tiny crack (Bathroom fans, kitchen fans, door jams, etc) trying to stay stay out of that hot stuffy mask.
Holy shit, you're a wimp.
the air quality was unbearable outside
Again -- you had a worse AQI than we did for maybe 2 days. We had it for a month. They closed a couple of outdoor pools, and some kids' ball practices. The rest of us went on with our everyday lives.

On a related note -- about 20 years ago, the EPA severely curtailed the Western States' ability to do proscribed burns... which is moronic. We know the shit is going to burn, so heaven forbid we carve some fire breaks through it while it's still damp outside, and it's easily contained. Nope, just wait for the whole thing to go up in late summer. Which makes no sense, even from a clean air standpoint.
MsCJ
Jake

Post by MsCJ »

Go ahead, sit in front of the fire and drink beer then, don't cry to me about your cancer.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I drove through the Eagle Creek Fire the day after the interstate opened back up. Stopped and smoked a bowl, then a cig. And had a beer.

You must be a real blast at a campout.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

MsCj is still adjusting to California life. She gets a pass. She will move soon, so no biggie.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:MsCj is still adjusting to California life. She gets a pass. She will move soon, so no biggie.
If wood smoke bothers you, the West Coast might not be the best choice.

I'm still laughing at the mask thing (which filters out exactly zero smoke). Might catch some of the ash, I guess.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Fires in Napa/Sonoma and beyond

Post by smackaholic »

Dins, I thought the truck/engine thing a bit petty, but oh well. I'll bet you are one of those dudes that can't possibly let someone drop the term "hot water heater", without explaining the stupidity of such a term.

After seeing a number of people threaten. Oddly harm to one another on an HVAC message board, I always make sure I say "water heater".

mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:I'll bet you are one of those dudes that can't possibly let someone drop the term "hot water heater",

Why yes, yes I am.

I'm also a stickler on where a person puts periods and commas in relation to quotation marks.