Colorado is a good football team.

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Not a great football team by any stretch, but they looked pretty damn good today until Sefo went down. It's no secret that depth is what separates great teams from merely good ones, and that's the next step we need to take in order to return to national prominence. But it looks like we've at least gotten to a point where our first team can hang with just about anyone if we play smart football and avoid significant injuries.

Props to Michigan for doing what a top 5 team is supposed to do. I'm really proud of how Colorado played today on offense and defense. Special teams was clearly the difference in the game. The end result was about what I expected, but that was assuming Sefo played the whole game. I know moral victories don't count for shit, but this team has no reason to hang their heads.

This is the best CU team I've seen in more than a decade. They look disciplined and well coached, and they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Hopefully Sefo's injury isn't anything serious. If we can stay healthy (and that's always a big "if" over the course of a 12-game meat-grinder), these kids look more than capable of winning a few conference games and going to a bowl game.

It sounds silly to say after a 17-point loss, but it actually feels good to be a CU fan again. It's been a long time. Looking forward to conference play. Sup Dins?
"Keys, woman!"
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Re: Colorado is a good football team.

Post by WolverineSteve »

There was a good showing by Buffan at the Big House yesterday and they were certainly heard from in the opening quarter. Mostly really solid folks that seemed to enjoy their experience. Good to see that program getting back on track. Also, Michigan honored Coach Mac before the game...nice tribute.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

CU losing their PK for the season with a torn achilles is an unusually bad break.

there was a lot to like from CU. cornerback play was pretty solid. no containment on the rushing edge once UM started to win up front and depth wearing down a thin CU roster. and Sefo getting hurt, obviously. most CU fans i know are pretty upbeat. will need to do better against the run against Oregon next week. wrapping up, tackling in space etc. special teams, yikes.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:will need to do better against the run against Oregon next week. wrapping up, tackling in space etc. special teams, yikes.
Not really.

They just need to run it up the gut every play, and they'll thrash the OLE' defense of Oregon. Or just throw bombs, and the DBs will get a PI every time.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote: Really? I'm shocked. Oregon usually plays such great defense.
It's usually "adequate."

I guess I'll explain this again -- when a team plays uptempo ball, it involves giving it back to the other team frequently (hopefully on kickoffs). In turn, it usually means giving up a lot of yards/points... hopefully not as many as they gain.

But this season... not so much. Too many young guys at key positions, most notably LB (although freshman Troy Dye is a bright spot, and a star in the making). The front 7 just aren't doing much, particularly against the inside run... which rarely ands well. The secondary has mad talent and speed, but sure seem to have a problem keeping their hands to themselves.

Add to that a coach that doesn't seem to understand that if the first 2 pt conversion is good, STOP FREAKING DOING IT -- you're one-up, call it good.

Add to that, Prukop, while quite talented, hasn't caught onto the uptempo deal yet.

Add to that, the superstar RB is injured (still not sure how badly -- went down early against Nebraska. But there's a stable full of very good RBs). The best OL is injured. The underutilized "fastest man in CFB" is injured.

The ship better get righted in a hurry, or the Buffs are going to kill them. Being able to hold the middle of the D-line would be a good start.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll give a tip of the hat to the Buffs as well...didn't know what to expect heading into that game. I did not read up on their team so that first quarter showing was an eye-opener. They were able to exploit the middle of the field early on and they killed their secondary with the deep ball. Liufau is a really solid QB. Good senior leader and showed a lot of guts trying to play on that bad foot. They've got a sneaky good secondary too.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Michigan needs to get Jourdan Lewis back. Their secondary looks suspect without him. Peppers is very good but he can only cover so much real estate by himself. My favorite moment in the game was when Matt Millen declared Peppers the best defensive player in college football, then on the next play, he promptly gets beat deep for a TD trying to provide safety help.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Peppers is a tremendous athlete but Jourdan Lewis is their best DB. They need him back very soon.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:

Add to that, the superstar RB is injured (still not sure how badly -- went down early against Nebraska. But there's a stable full of very good RBs). The best OL is injured. The underutilized "fastest man in CFB" is injured.

The ship better get righted in a hurry, or the Buffs are going to kill them. Being able to hold the middle of the D-line would be a good start.
Definitely sucks to lose three of your best players.

Was really looking forward to seeing Allen and Royce play, though not so much on 11/12.

Any news on Royce?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Freeman's injury "isn't serious," whatever that means.

Allen is out for the season (hopefully ready for track season).

Tyrell Crosby, the only OL worth a shit, is out for the season.

Rough week.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Sup fellas? Ugly win today, but a win nonetheless. I think this team has a legit shot at going to the Rose Bowl. WTF?? Did I really just type that without a hint of sarcasm? CU/NU Rose Bowl would be so fucking epic. Please Cthulhu, let it come to pass...
"Keys, woman!"
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Stanford is a bad football team.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

It's nice seeing the impact Coach Leavitt is having with Colorado's defense
Dreams......Temporary Madness
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MuchoBulls wrote:It's nice seeing the impact Coach Leavitt is having with Colorado's defense
they are maybe most improved unit in BTPCF. Seriously. CU keeping him should be an off-season priority.

he'll get another HC job. he's a little radioactive still maybe but everyone loves a redemption story and winning.

edit: i'd be thrilled if he took the OU DC job....but that's a lateral move maybe. :meds: :wink:
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

King Crimson wrote:CU losing their PK for the season with a torn achilles is an unusually bad break.
for those of you who didn't see it....CU missed 3 FG's inside 30 yards against Stanford and even tried their punter kicking.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

King Crimson wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote:It's nice seeing the impact Coach Leavitt is having with Colorado's defense
they are maybe most improved unit in BTPCF. Seriously. CU keeping him should be an off-season priority.

he'll get another HC job. he's a little radioactive still maybe but everyone loves a redemption story and winning.

edit: i'd be thrilled if he took the OU DC job....but that's a lateral move maybe. :meds: :wink:
That's what I'm afraid of. It's been a joy to watch the progress he's made with that group in less than two seasons, but I don't know how long they'll be able to hold onto him.

And schmick, SC is better than you give them credit for. They're a young team and they had a couple early stumbles facing a brutal schedule, but they've found their groove. I think they're probably the most talented team in the South. It's not even that far-fetched that they wind up winning the division.
"Keys, woman!"
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Ted Tolner cranked out some shit in the 80's.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Carson wrote:Ted Tolner cranked out some shit in the 80's.
to be fair, schmick did say "this century".

but i like the old school blast....i remember ted tolner....and he did suck.

it's been 7 years since Pete Carroll left. he did cheat excellently but USC fan needs to move on. Paul Hackett was crap, too.

i'm starting to think hiring practices in LA are bad bad. bob toledo, rick neuheisel, hackett, lane kiffin, boozy meds sark....that's like a who's who of suck.
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:lane kiffin ....that's like a who's who of suck.
IMO, if USC would have rode out the sanctions with Kiff, they'd be killing it right now.

Bama sure seems to be enjoying his services.