Mizzou: Your 2014 SEC East Champions

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Mizzou: Your 2014 SEC East Champions

Post by Truman »

…er, which I suppose is a lot like posting, “your 2010 Big XII North Champions.” Given our performance in conference championship games – AND with ‘Bama the clear favorite to fill the Western side of the ledger - I thought I’d better get my digs in early.

I believe Mizzou’s average CG margin of defeat is something like 26 points, which has left TigerFan casting for silver linings: “Oh, we were tied with OU at half back in ’07,” and “we put up more points on Auburn than anybody” in 2013.

Still, you gotta give CGP props for guiding Mizzou to its second straight 10-win season; its second straight SEC East championship; and its third division title in five years. Not to mention his shiny 14-3 record versus the MEATGRINDER the past two years.

Such off-script accomplishment sure didn’t take long to put the SEC Purebloods in an uproar:

“The East was injured last year”, and “the East sucked this year.” “Y’all were lucky!” “Georgia is the more deserving team. Mizzou will get slaughtered by ‘Bama” And then there’s my favorite, “Mizzou lost to Indiana, an 0-7 team in the B1G, and shouldn’t even be ALLOWED to go.”

LOLrz. Georgia fans suck.

Look, this team ain’t pretty. An 8-4 finish would’ve been considered a good season, given the rebuild nature of this year’s team, and NOBODY predicted a repeat of last year’s success. Missouri doesn’t put up the usual Mizzou-like offensive numbers we’ve grown accustomed to in these parts. Mauk appears to have regressed from a year ago, and the play-calling is unimaginative. Lose your top three receivers and half your O line, and this is what you get. But they will not give up big plays and they will put your quarterback on the ground. And if you let them to hang around until the 4th quarter – they will find a way to beat you, too.

Which leaves me wondering if any of the fans of SEC royalty have even troubled themselves to watch this team beyond the Georgia game this season. How a two-win West team that hasn’t won an SEC roadie in over two years comes into the ‘Zou a 2.5 point favorite is beyond me. SEC honks on this Board certainly weren’t believers: Carson, Sam, and Jsc all took Arkie in the Pick ‘Em. I imagine Willie kept it from being unanimous hoping a Mizzou win would keep his hated Bulldogs out of the CG.

I reckon it’s a bit premature to regloss the SECCG the “Mizzou Invitational,” but like-it-or-not SEC Purebloods, our “Yankee” Tigers are about to embark on their second straight trip to Atlanta in three years of SEC existence. Stick that in your Finebaum and smoke it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Mizzou: Your 2014 SEC East Champions

Post by War Wagon »

Nice take Tru.

Unfortunately, outside of The Show Me, nobody cares.

Still, it's good to see one of the Tiger faithful giving Mizzou some well earned props.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

So, you're telling me there's a chance?

Lots of chatter that even with a SEC CG win, MIZZOU would be left out of the playoff. Conspiracy theorist that I am,
sees the refs having a huge influence on the outcome of this game.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

kcdave wrote:So, you're telling me there's a chance?

Lots of chatter that even with a SEC CG win, MIZZOU would be left out of the playoff.

and rightfully so.

a 1 loss baylor and 1 loss TCU team would be more deserving.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Moby Dick wrote:

Lots of chatter that even with a SEC CG win, MIZZOU would be left out of the playoff.

and rightfully so.

Absofuckinglutely . . . I'm not sure they aren't anyway to be blunt.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Jsc810 wrote:Props to Mizzou and I hope they beat Bama.
While I certainly appreciate that, even the most myopic of homers (like me) fears we're going to get steamrolled.

But that's ok, it's all gravy now.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:
While I certainly appreciate that, even the most myopic of homers (like me) fears we're going to get steamrolled.

I remember a pre Don McPherson Syracuse playing a very highly ranked Nebraska program (back when Lincoln had palm trees) and tha Cuse sent them back home with an L.

That said, Bama by 24.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Papa Willie wrote:Here's what I said on FB on Friday:

How 'bout them Mizzou Tigers!!
LikeLike · · Share · November 28 at 6:15pm ·

Hope that helps. Dickheads.

i saw that!!
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Papa Willie wrote:
Moby Dick wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:Here's what I said on FB on Friday:

How 'bout them Mizzou Tigers!!
LikeLike · · Share · November 28 at 6:15pm ·

Hope that helps. Dickheads.

i saw that!!
None of my UGA buddies really cared for it that much. :grin:

aw man i was trying to give off a crepper vibe.

you didnt bite. :doh:
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Moby Dick wrote:

and rightfully so.

Agreed. Mizzou doesn't pass the eye test. Hell, I'm not even sure they pass the smell test...
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc810 wrote:
Truman wrote:Jsc all took Arkie in the Pick ‘Em.
You read far too much into that. Ark was favored and had been on a roll lately.
Truman wrote:How a two-win West team that hasn’t won an SEC roadie in over two years comes into the ‘Zou a 2.5 point favorite is beyond me.
No, I'm not.

So if a two-win Arkansas came trotting into Tiger Stadium as a 2.5 favorite, how would you bet?

No respeck. Your SEC is showing, Barrister...
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc810 wrote:Props to Mizzou and I hope they beat Bama.
Ain't no way in Hell.

It would take a deal with the Devil to pull that off, but that sumbitch already coaches at Bammer...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:I'm still wondering how a mid-level Big 12 team came into the SEC and won two East titles in 3 years.

Maybe a difference between "perception" and "reality," fuelled by a large financial investment from influential entities?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:And the first to bitch at Bama for costing the SEC a spot in the playoff.
I can think of a billion rea$ons why you won't be "first."

If the SEC gets left out, the playoff will be expanded to 8 so fast it'll make your head spin.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:At this point, though - it's pretty funny how Pac12 & Big12 fans suddenly like the 4 team format.

I see 4 as an improvement. Although 2 would be fine, since my team would be going anyway (well, 1 more game to go until then, knock on wood).

But when the 4 team format was announced, I (along with most other fans) predicted that instead of #3 bitching and feeling slighted, it would merely transfer the bitching to the #5 spot.

But I didn't realize it would be to this extent.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote: Again - the SEC consumed itself.

The same can be said of the PAC South. 5 of 6 teams are very good, and if you look at the season results, they beat each other in a very round-robin fashion.