We're talkin' Rock & Roll

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: We're talkin' Rock & Roll

Post by Goober McTuber »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:We were downright childish at times.
Were?
"We" being the operative term.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

With apologies to the Monkees

Take the last thread to Honksville,
Goobs’ll meet you on the way in,
Claims I always used to post there,
He suffers from bad retardation.
Don't be slow, Like Goobs, no, no!
Oh, no, no, no!

Goober’s living in the past now
And he must be sufferin’,
We'll have one more silly flame war
That's as pointless as his spins,
Goob really blows, oh, ho ho ho!
He likes to blow…

And his waxed balls are as shriveled as a gnomes.

Read the last thread on Honskville.
Goober’s ranting like a bumpkin.
He’ll take huge swings with bad misses
His sanity is in remission,
Oh there he goes,
naming his toes!

Goober’s hung up on this Honksville,
Now I must dismiss this clone.
I can't hear him in this music thread
ranting all alone, and drooling so…
Oh, no, no, no!
Oh, no, no, no!
And I’m pretty sure his mind is finally blown.

Take the last thread to Honksville…
Take the last thread to Honksville.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Goober McTuber wrote:
I thought I was
the last word fucking king.
But I just handed
my last word crown to him.[/i]

rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Derron wrote:Also Bri's spread sheet needs a rack. You cannot possibly have retained that much knowledge about inane internet flame boards. Fucking impossible. You had to have wrote this shit down, maybe in hopes of just this day ??
I thought about writing a book about what happened. But no, that stuff happened IRL. I was at Skelly's house when his rant went down. Not really had to remember that.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

using proxy servers in Czechoslovakia

Ah yes. Anyone here remember Living With Mom?
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Wolfman wrote:using proxy servers in Czechoslovakia

Ah yes. Anyone here remember Living With Mom?
Yours? Yes.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Goober McTuber wrote:

I remember we invaded a short-lived board that Derron and some others posted at, using proxy servers in Czechoslovakia or Bulgaria. They all thought they been hacked by some Eastern European internet terrorists.

Margaritaville was absolute hoot.

We were downright childish at times.
Not recalling that anybody thought you were Eastern European internet terrorists, pretty much figured it had to be some of the usual suspects trolling..but if YOU though you were Eastern European terrorists, I guess your fantasy was fulfilled there. If I remember that board did not make it a month before it got ran.

Margaritaville was a bunch of do gooders who wanted everybody to be niccccee....You could roll in there and start an flame that would last all day. Drop an f bomb on them and they would completely melt. We would roll in there in packs, get them all twisted up and then leave. I got banned real fast, and under a couple of different nics as well. Amusing for a bit, but not anything special.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The funniest part about Margaritaville was that it more resembled chat than a forum. There were only a half dozen or so regulars, but they were all logged in all day long, and every post got numerous almost instantaneous responses. Rich ground indeed for trolling.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Smackie Chan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:We were downright childish at times.
Were?
"We" being the operative term.
"You" were part of that "we" and are a member of the current "we." I'd like to think that "we" are never too old to have a misspent youth. I try to practice having one, anyway.
"I see everything twice!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Getting back to the "point" of the thread, which I had intended to do before getting side tracked by Goobs being Goobs...
poptart wrote:I think Truman's point is that MTV allowed a whole host of new groups of a different "rock" style to have a large platform from which to show their stuff.
Tru has never needed anybody to explain his point of view. With all due respect, I'd rather see him explain how he equated The Cars with the MTV generation. From my point of view, that was a total whiff of a Bret Saberhagen cut fastball.
Many groups (even those who came before MTV, such as The Cars) loosely fit within what common music listeners came to understand to be... NEW WAVE music.

Around that time, I certainly would have considered The Cars to be new wave.
Fair enough, call them New Wave then. My take is that they were almost certainly the first of that wave, or at least the most listenable (thus popular) and like I said, that genre had no definition at the time. They broke new ground and I'm still not sure you can compare any band with what they did, no matter what genre you call it by.

Again, maybe Cheap Trick.

Surely not The Police, who peaked at Roxanne, or The Knack, who peaked with My Sharona. Both great songs, btw.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

somebody mentioned Procol Harem?

but nobody mentioned Jefferson Airplane/Starship? For shame, 1967 was a really good year.

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

From MTV's own website...

http://www.mtv.com/artists/the-cars/

The Cars

Hometown: Boston, MA
Genre: New Wave
Started: 1976

The Cars were a staple of early MTV.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

dude, which part of The Cars having recorded their best music way before MTV was a gleam in Viacom's eye don't you get? I blame MTV for inducing ZZ Top to record Sharp Dressed Man, thus ruining their well earned reputation.

If MTV were alive today, they'd play something like Mumford & Sons.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Wagon wrote:I'd rather see him explain how he equated The Cars with the MTV generation.
I don't see how anyone in their right mind would not equate The Cars with the MTV generation.

Truman didn't say that MTV launched The Cars, but just that they were a fixture in MTV's early years.

Spray, the point is that MTV categorizes The Cars as New Wave.

And as I pointed out to Schmick earlier, when he balked at The Cars as New Wave...

New wave first circulated as a rock music genre in the early 1970s, used by critics like Nick Kent and Dave Marsh to classify such New York-based groups as the Velvet Underground and New York Dolls.
New wave music is an umbrella term for several late-1970s to mid-1980s pop/rock styles with ties to 1970s punk rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_music
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Now that is an interesting point.

Along those lines, WHO actually started rap?

What do you think?

:?:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:The Cars wrote the book on New Wave. There might have been a few that may have been doinking with it prior, but THEY are the ones who took it where it went. Ya - I reckon NW had a few punk tie-ins, but it's actually kind of funny that most folks (like Schmick) are too dumb to realize that the WHO started punk with "My Generation".
What Schmick fails to understand is that New Wave is a sound, not a geographical location. Early Cars records were absolutely New Wave, just as early INXS records or, dare I even say, early U2 records. None of these groups were from Great Britain.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Truman wrote:Dropkick Murphys
The next time I'm at a bar and some brotastic douchebag plays that god awful ear cancer, I'm going to rape his mother and make him watch. Nothing makes me want to drown babies, bring them back to life, and then drown them again, quite like the Dropkick Murphys.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

War Wagon wrote:The Police, who peaked at Roxanne, or The Knack, who peaked with My Sharona. Both great songs, btw.
I disagree with both of these calls Wags. Less so with The Police, however "Synchronicity" is a great album, as is "Ghost in the Machine".

As to The Knack, they actually got better as they matured. Doug Fieger and Berton Averre improved as songwriters as they went along. Don't believe it? Just listen to "Serious Fun" or even better, "Zoom". They had moved into a more pop sound by this point, but they could still rock. If you happen to check out these discs, make sure to find the versions with the bonus tracks. The song, "A Prayer" is a gorgeous song, spiritual and heartfelt. "Rocket of Love" is classic Knack rock and "One Day at a Time" is perfect pop.

"Zoom" features such great pop songs such as "Can I Borrow a Kiss" and "Pop is Dead", great upbeat material. And the very pretty "You Gotta Be There" has one of Fiegers best vocal performances. I would argue in fact that there simply isn't a bad Knack album in their sadly small repertoire.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

If My Sharona was a "peak" I'd hate to know what the valleys looked like.

:meds:

You guys are probably big fans of Tommy Roe as well?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote:You guys are probably big fans of Tommy Roe as well?
The Beatles were the opening act for Tommy Roe during Roe's British tour in 1963. Roe, was, of course, upstaged.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:The Knack
I saw them in your neck o' the woods around the time that "My Sharona" & "Good Girls Don't" were getting massive airplay. I've never seen The Beatles, but that concert was as close to what I imagine a Beatles concert was like as far as the reaction of the teenage girls goes. The little girls were going apeshit, and getting into the venue was an exercise in avoiding getting trampled. Certainly not what I was expecting. The concert wasn't half-bad, either. A bit too pop for my tastes, but still somewhat entertaining.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Nothing makes me want to drown babies, bring them back to life, and then drown them again, quite like the Dropkick Murphys.
That's because you've never heard their good stuff, like:

"Drinking and Fighting"

...or...

"We're Gonna Drink and Fight"

...or...

"In A Drinking and Fighting Mood"

...and who could ever forget...

"Drink Fight Fight Fight Drink"

:meds:
Why don’t you just STFU.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Jay in Phoenix wrote:The Knack
I saw them in your neck o' the woods around the time that "My Sharona" & "Good Girls Don't" were getting massive airplay. I've never seen The Beatles, but that concert was as close to what I imagine a Beatles concert was like as far as the reaction of the teenage girls goes. The little girls were going apeshit, and getting into the venue was an exercise in avoiding getting trampled. Certainly not what I was expecting. The concert wasn't half-bad, either. A bit too pop for my tastes, but still somewhat entertaining.
That sounds about right Smackie. The early Knack concerts were fairly "Beatlesque" with the teeny bopper adulation. The thing with the Knack, like other similar artists, is the pop sound, which I'm a huge fan of. Obviously my tastes go all over the board, but when pop is at its best, like for instance with The Rubinoos, it can be a pretty cool thing. That is, if you like that sort of sound.

I do and don't make any apologies for it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Some folk doth protest too much.

I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Fucking awful.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Fucking awful.

That's being kind.
Why don’t you just STFU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I know, but I figured I already blew my wad with mom rape and baby killing.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mikey,

My Sharona has one of the best guitar solo's ever.

And now, time to change the subject.

kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

I actually like the Murphys, but damn, all you need to do is listen to a few songs. After that, it all sounds the same.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Yeah, rock music isn't dead, one's desire to seek it out is dead. Plenty of great stuff out there, in all genres, if you're willing to look past your FM radio dial. It's been a long time since "good music" coincided with "popular music." Which I think is both good and bad.

But heartland tards like kcdave want everything spoon-fed. When he gets off the expressway, he wants all his dining options within a half mile radius with big brightly displayed roadside logos guiding him. There's probably a delicious mom and pop joint scattered somewhere in that mess, but why bother to look? You may not have enjoyed the meal that you settled for, but hey, at least you didn't exert any effort in the search.
Dude, I am sure there are still new blue grass, big band swing, gospel, folk, opera, philharmonic, and whatever out dated forms of music that you can mention being made out there. It doesn't mean its not passed its time, and becoming less meaningful by the day. Pop, rap, and country rule the airwaves right now. There is still some rock out there, but less and less every year. And no, sorry, I am not looking past my AM/FM dial. If there is "Good" new rock music out there, it will find its way to the radio.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

^^^^^^

Utter rubbish. Most of the good music from the 70s doesn't even make it to the radio on stations that PLAY NOTHING BUT 70S MUSIC. Ever hear any UFO lately? Ever hear a Thin Lizzy song not title "The Boys Are Back in Town?". Radio suck, give your years something new Dave.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

B, while you are a huge UFO fan, I am not, and I am not referring to any band in particular. I am not talking about what you may like in particular or what I may like. I am speaking to the rock genre as a whole. Rock in all of its forms, hard, punk, alternative, etc. once was king. Now, not so much.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Dropkick Murphys suck ass. I guess they are being passed off as belonging in some sort of punk genre, but of all the shitty music I own, I would never subject my turntable to that rubbish. I've heard them before and quite frankly thought they were a joke band.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

kcdave wrote:B, while you are a huge UFO fan, I am not, and I am not referring to any band in particular. I am not talking about what you may like in particular or what I may like. I am speaking to the rock genre as a whole. Rock in all of its forms, hard, punk, alternative, etc. once was king. Now, not so much.
Since you love talking about radio, here in Rochester there are ZERO rap stations. None. One plays a mix of rap and other R&B, soul flavored music and another plays top 40. There are two country radio station. Both play the same mix of watered down rock/country Nashville crap. Meanwhile there are two Alternative rock stations, 2 modern rock and 2 classic rock stations.

You tripping bro?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

kcdave wrote:If there is "Good" new rock music out there, it will find its way to the radio.
Unfortunately, no, it won't. The best bands are not on the radio because they won't conform to what radio wants. In short, you're a fucking dumbass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

^^^ True enuff, no other reason to explain why I'd never heard one song from BTS until chat/radio.

Which begs the question, how much other great music is out there that I've never heard because it doesn't quite fit in with some radio station's program director's playlist?

Probably a lot.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

War Wagon wrote:
Fair enough, call them New Wave then. My take is that they were almost certainly the first of that wave, or at least the most listenable (thus popular) and like I said, that genre had no definition at the time. They broke new ground and I'm still not sure you can compare any band with what they did, no matter what genre you call it by.
The Cars defined this for sure. Brought a whole new listening group to New Wave or what ever the fuck you want to call it. I brought the Cars first album to our garage band jam one night. Now all we pretty much rolled was Southern Rock at the time. We jammed for a while, then hit a few rips and beers, and I put the album on. A couple of the guys were like " What the fuck is that shit ? " A couple of others said give it a chance.

Listened to the whole album and most thought it was OK. The album got passed around and guys were ripping tapes and shit of it. Now it did not change the type of music that band played, but as musicians we certainly felt it was better than a lot of shit around in those days.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

poptart wrote:Now that is an interesting point.

Along those lines, WHO actually started rap?

What do you think?

:?:
Seems like Tom Petty had the groove on a type of rap going way back when.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowSGxim_O8
Derron
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

It goes back before Tom Petty.

Blondie - Rapture.

I think rap goes back before her, to sometime in the early '70s, but this song was a mainstream "rap" hit.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Papa Willie wrote:Pretty sure that "Rapture" is commonly regarded as the first "rap" to go somewhere.
Uhh, ever heard of Rapper's Delight?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I could've happily died not ever having seen anybody trying to cover Stairway in that manner.

I hate you Jsc, almost as much as I hate seeing the survivors applaud that abortion.

I'll die not so happily now.