So what does the future hold for PSU?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: So what does the future hold for PSU?

Post by Van »

Mgo wrote:The NCAA didn't apply punishment based on any specific by-laws because they didn't do their own investigation, and because, again, there were no applicable by-laws to cite. They used only the facts based on the Freeh Report.
There are specific LOIC-specific NCAA by-laws to cite. I linked them in this thread. Emmert mentioned those by-laws multiple times in interviews he granted leading up to the announcement, then he pointedly referenced them again by using the term "the NCAA's Constitution and by-laws" during his speech announcing the NCAA's sanctions against Penn St.

The NCAA merely used the Freeh Report to confirm that Penn St had blatantly violated those LOIC by-laws.
Last edited by Van on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSUFAN wrote:
I felt the NCAA would take the easy road and do nothing,
Why? Sheer cynicism?
Yes.
Or because that's essentially what happened where USC was concerned?
I'll assume you're being sarcastic.

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Bucmonkey wrote:Half this board will be dead or collecting SS before PSU is a relevant football program again.
Most of the "experts" seem to think PSU will fully recover in about 8 years. I'd think most everyone here will be alive and kicking...except Wolfman and Goobs.
Don’t be lumping me in with Wolfman. Dude is old enough to be my dad. I’m still young, vibrant and virile. I intend to still be working full-time in 8 years. And collecting Social Security.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
BSmack wrote: Those wins were not vacated to punish JoePa or PSU. They were vacated so that the NCAA wouldn't have to live with the shame of a pedo-enabler having the all time record. In the grand scheme of things, so freaking what.
It was great because it was a huge kick in the shorts for the faggot Paterno family.
I get that. I just think the idea of re-writing history to reflect a particular retroactive morality to be laughable. The NCAA allowed JoePa to build his little empire complete with a diabolical child raping right hand man. They should fucking have to live with that.

In that vien, I wonder when they'll retire JoePa's CFB HOF Bust.

http://www.collegefootball.org/famer_se ... p?id=90141
More important than all of the wins and titles he has accumulated may be his legacy with the influence he has had on his players, Penn State Students and alumni.
barf
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

BSmack wrote:In that vien, I wonder when they'll retire JoePa's CFB HOF Bust.
Classic example of why busts and statues should only be dead people.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

PSUFAN wrote:
Bucmonkey wrote:Half this board will be dead or collecting SS before PSU is a relevant football program again.
hmm, tell that to Ohio U on Sept 1.
Ohio was picked to win the MAC, which has bent over Paterno-led squads over the past 15 years.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:
hmm, tell that to Ohio U on Sept 1.
Ohio was picked to win the MAC, which has bent over Paterno-led squads over the past 15 years.
Huh? PSU lost to Toledo in 2000. I'm not aware of any other MAC losses...but help me understand if you know better.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:Huh? PSU lost to Toledo in 2000. I'm not aware of any other MAC losses...but help me understand if you know better.
They've lost every game against MAC teams since 1998. Didn't the NCAA tell you?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'm not talking about vacated wins - I'm talking about actual football losses.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:I'm not talking about vacated wins - I'm talking about actual football losses.
Yes, but you're discussing it with Screwball, a certifiable retard.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I know it doesn't mean squat since all coaches seem to employ that same laser-focus 'coach speak' whenever someone sticks a mic in their grills, but I was seriously impressed with Bill O'Brien after watching his extensive interview with Reece Davis on ESPN just now. Loved what he had to say about his wife and family, and his constant refrain regarding how his team will play "strong, smart, tough" football sounded very promising.

Best of all was the way he spoke so glowingly of Penn St: the school, the students, the opportunities, the fans.

By the end of the interview, I was completely sold. I'll be seriously rooting for that guy and his team.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

BOB is the man. Make sure to take this in also:

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Did a Nick Saban fan really just ask that?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Most of the "experts" seem to think PSU will fully recover in about 8 years. I'd think most everyone here will be alive and kicking...except Wolfman and Goobs.

Must make goobs twitch knowing there may be some time, place, or matter that will refer to him at some point after he passes...and he won't be able to respond in any way....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

PSUFAN wrote:BOB is the man. Make sure to take this in also:

Hmmmm.... I see two seniors about to graduate with one year left to play. Not too hard to say you're going to stick it out with the program like a warrior.

Lets hear what the freshmen, sophomores, and incoming freshmen have to say about sticking it out with the program when they have to be there for the next 4-5 years and NEVER get to play in a bowl game. While the team has their scholarships reduced to 65 players and they're having football tryouts on the street corner.

Then we can get a better picture of what these kids are made of.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Van wrote:I know it doesn't mean squat since all coaches seem to employ that same laser-focus 'coach speak' whenever someone sticks a mic in their grills, but I was seriously impressed with Bill O'Brien after watching his extensive interview with Reece Davis on ESPN just now. Loved what he had to say about his wife and family, and his constant refrain regarding how his team will play "strong, smart, tough" football sounded very promising.

Best of all was the way he spoke so glowingly of Penn St: the school, the students, the opportunities, the fans.

By the end of the interview, I was completely sold. I'll be seriously rooting for that guy and his team.
When he bails after 2 years to return to the NFL, how will you feel?
Much less impressed, to be sure.

:mrgreen:

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Damn! Yeah, Dave, I'd say the death penalty was definitely on the table...

Penn State Faced Four-Year Death Penalty

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... th-penalty

If Penn State had not accepted the package of NCAA sanctions announced Monday, the Nittany Lions faced a historic death penalty of four years, university president Rodney Erickson told "Outside the Lines" on Wednesday afternoon.

In a separate interview, NCAA president Mark Emmert confirmed that a core group of NCAA school presidents had agreed early last week that an appropriate punishment was no Penn State football for four years.

Emmert told Erickson in a phone conversation on July 17 that a majority of the NCAA's leadership wanted to levy the four-year penalty because of Penn State's leaders' roles in covering up the child sexual abuse of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

"Well, that's a pretty tough number to swallow," Erickson said he recalled thinking when told of the four-year possibility by Emmert. "It's unprecedented. It's a blow to the gut; there's no doubt about that ... I couldn't agree to that at all.

Almost immediately after that conversation, intensive discussions between Penn State and the NCAA began in earnest, Erickson said. Penn State lobbied for the NCAA to take the death penalty off the table, and the NCAA described a series of other sanctions, both "punitive and corrective" in nature.

And it was all done without the knowledge or consent of Penn St's embattled Board of Trustees, some of whom are apparently considering an attempt to overturn this decree in court on the grounds that Erickson didn't have the unilateral authority to sign it.

Nice.

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

PSUFAN wrote:Yes - we have to wonder what commits will stay, what current players will stay, and what kids will commit in the future.

Obviously this isn't an ideal thing to walk into - but our hopes lie with Bill O'Brien and the new offense he's bringing to PSU. Kids want to prepare for the NFL, and if he proves to be a good coach with an experienced staff with NFL and college experience, then kids will still want to play there.

Paraphrasing what he said he told the kids yesterday: playing in front of 100k+ at home games 7-8 times a year - these are their bowl games now.

We'll see how it goes. So far, a number of players have affirmed their willingness to stay, and most importantly, O'Brien himself has as well.
Are you high? Because the only way that convinces me is if I am high . . .
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The Seer wrote:

Must make goobs twitch knowing there may be some time, place, or matter that will refer to him at some point after he passes...and he won't be able to respond in any way....
I intend to live forever.

So far, so good.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Van wrote:I know it doesn't mean squat since all coaches seem to employ that same laser-focus 'coach speak' whenever someone sticks a mic in their grills, but I was seriously impressed with Bill O'Brien after watching his extensive interview with Reece Davis on ESPN just now. Loved what he had to say about his wife and family, and his constant refrain regarding how his team will play "strong, smart, tough" football sounded very promising.

When he bails after 2 years to return to the NFL, how will you feel?
Clearly, it will be painful if he does end up bailing. I think none of us could really blame the guy for moving on. At the same time, don't blame me for taking him at face value right now. Sounds to me like he's in it for the long haul. Yesterday they extended his contract through the years of the sanctions - yes, that could well mean nothing, but perhaps not. Only time will tell.
dingus
Jake

Post by dingus »

'They' did not extend his contract, his contract had an addendum to it that the contract would be extended in the event of NCAA sanctions. He might have been hoping for sanctions. Shit, I'd be lovin' me some Penn State, too, if I were him.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Yet something tells me you won't be shedding any tears if Silas Redd winds up in cardinal and gold next season.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

dingus wrote:'They' did not extend his contract, his contract had an addendum to it that the contract would be extended in the event of NCAA sanctions. He might have been hoping for sanctions. Shit, I'd be lovin' me some Penn State, too, if I were him.

Thanks, you're correct
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I think USC would get a very talented RB in Redd. I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving this mess. I will definitely hold the kids that stay in the highest esteem, for what that's worth.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Papa Willie wrote:
M2 wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:BOB is the man. Make sure to take this in also:

Hmmmm.... I see two seniors about to graduate with one year left to play. Not too hard to say you're going to stick it out with the program like a warrior.

Lets hear what the freshmen, sophomores, and incoming freshmen have to say about sticking it out with the program when they have to be there for the next 4-5 years and NEVER get to play in a bowl game. While the team has their scholarships reduced to 65 players and they're having football tryouts on the street corner.

Then we can get a better picture of what these kids are made of.

Say what y'all want, but M2 is clearly showing signs of improvement.
I suppose we must salute him for simply regurgitating the obvious, that's correct. It's a hell of a lot more insightful than anything else he's posted.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Spray wrote:Say what y'all want, but M2 is clearly showing signs of improvement.
Without a doubt. He seems to be shedding his troll skin in lieu of posting more as a real person, which is good to see.

Terry, no, I won't be complaining if USC can pick up some greatly needed depth at the TB position. Not at all. Considering the fact that they lost the signed, sealed and delivered #1 recruit in the country in Seantrell Henderson a year or so ago following the handing down of their own sanctions, nope, I have no problem with them finding additional players wherever possible.

Because they are on probation, though, they'll have to drop someone in order to make room for Redd. It remains to be seen whether any of this has any legs.

In the meantime, yep, I'll still root for O'Brien and his team. Penn St has always been my second favorite Big 10 team anyway, behind Ohio St, but now I'll root for them over Ohio St.

I'm just waiting to see whether those pissed off Penn St Board of Trustees members who were never consulted regarding any of this actually follow through on their talk of taking these sanctions to court.

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Van wrote:
I'm just waiting to see whether those pissed off Penn St Board of Trustees members who were never consulted regarding any of this actually follow through on their talk of taking these sanctions to court.

I would love to see that, not for what it would do to PSU, but for the theater. If the PSU BOT did sue the NCAA would invalidate the current sanctions and hand down the 4 year death penalty, that was considered. Even if the BOT was successful in court and got the sanctions cut in half that is still a 2 year death penalty.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

And for that reason I suspect that when all is said and done those BoT members will grudgingly accept the sanctions and take their medicine, however bitter the taste.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Van wrote:And for that reason I suspect that when all is said and done those BoT members will grudgingly accept the sanctions and take their medicine, however bitter the taste.
Where ya been?
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/25/3 ... ar#wgt=pop
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Sudden Sam wrote:Any word on the whereabouts of the body parts of the DA who was investigating Sandusky years ago?
Most people who have followed that seem to have settled on the fact that he was investigating a high-profile drug-trafficking case.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSUFAN wrote:
Van wrote:And for that reason I suspect that when all is said and done those BoT members will grudgingly accept the sanctions and take their medicine, however bitter the taste.
Where ya been?
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/25/3 ... ar#wgt=pop
Love the first comment to that story...

Based on the Board's acceptance of Erickson's actions, I will be disinheriting Penn State in favor of, for example, the Paterno Foundation. The reason is that Coach Paterno taught Penn Staters, and not just those on the football team, how to succeed with honor.

Erickson and the Trustees taught failure with dishonor: cowardice, possibly dishonesty (depending on whether Erickson or the NCAA lied about whether the NCAA threatened Penn State with the death penalty), failure to do one's homework, rushing to judgment (and this makes the second time). The Trustees, and especially Karen Peetz, are 100 percent responsible for the NCAA sanctions, although this does not excuse Mark Emmert for his own failure to exercise due diligence and due process.

:lol:

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

There's a tremendous amount of venom being sent Rodney Erickson's way - despite the fact that his cooperation (i.e. his signing of the Consent Decree) very probably saved PSU from a 4 year death penalty.

The sanctions suck, but scapegoating people solves nothing. Erickson is a dude who postponed his retirement to get the school through this. He has done as well as anyone could have, in my opinion. it pains me to see people being so small-minded...but it's a valuable reminder that all communities are composed of individuals who must be measured by their actions, not by what the community icons supposedly stand for. You don't gain virtue simply by wearing a Paterno t-shirt or a PSU hat or watching Weekend at Bernie's. You earn your own virtue, or not.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

If Silas Redd digs in, he could go for the trifecta....Ped St - to SuC - to New Orleans....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

BSmack wrote:
M Club wrote:Some folk with reasonable perspectives:

http://deadspin.com/5928385/i-hope-u-al ... punishment

Van will no doubt read those tweets to point out their relevance to USC while Terry will post a quote-by-quote breakdown of their relationship to Catholic SAT scores in rural upstate NY.
I see mvscal weighed in.
some idiot wrote:Ill put money down that the NCAA is ran by a bunch of mvscals.
I see some people who have been posting here for ten years or more are still too stupid to recognize obvious trolling when they see it.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

What do you expect? He's a Catholic and a Penn State alum. Defending pedophiles and the institutions which enable their behavior is something of an autonomic reflex.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
dingus
Jake

Post by dingus »

Great-back to 'normal' cheating.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:I think USC would get a very talented RB in Redd. I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving this mess. I will definitely hold the kids that stay in the highest esteem, for what that's worth.
I did notice at the Big 10 meetings last week, Bielema was the first coach to speak up and say that he would not go after any Penn State players. Meanwhile, Illinois had 8 coaches in Happy Valley. And y’all sat Bret has no class.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Jsc810 wrote:Robert Bolden, former QB for Penn State, has transferred to LSU.

Mixed feelings about that.
I have no idea what LSU sees in Bolden...unless he's just getting a courtesy interview. Sure, playing QB for the Paternos was no party, but wow...he was the worst PSU I've ever seen getting snaps in real games - ever.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Goober McTuber wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:I think USC would get a very talented RB in Redd. I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving this mess. I will definitely hold the kids that stay in the highest esteem, for what that's worth.
I did notice at the Big 10 meetings last week, Bielema was the first coach to speak up and say that he would not go after any Penn State players. Meanwhile, Illinois had 8 coaches in Happy Valley. And y’all sat Bret has no class.
Some PSU fans were pissed at your coach for a few plays that he ran - I wasn't one of them. A coach uses whatever plays he can to win a football game...regardless of the age and awareness and personal gravity of the opposing coach. When you get outsmarted or "out-awared" in a game, that's on YOU (Joe).
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Jsc810 wrote:Robert Bolden, former QB for Penn State, has transferred to LSU.

Mixed feelings about that.
Firstly, as far as I can tell, he hasn’t officially transferred to LSU… just visiting. He HAS been released of his schollie at PSU though. This happened before the sanctions.

Anyways, no idea what they see in Bolden either…. unless he’s being recruited for his bounce passing abilities for the BBall team, that is. I guess that if you had the abysmal depth at the QB position that LSU has, you’d be grasping at straws too.

One thing’s for sure… if Bolden begins to excel at LSU, our opinion that the QB development under the Paterno regime was subpar would be substantiated.