Last concert EVAH at the Spectrum: Pearl Jam on 10/31

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Last concert EVAH at the Spectrum: Pearl Jam on 10/31

Post by smackaholic »

Hopefully, they'll bring the house down...literally. With you and a few thousand grunge fans.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Pearl Jam = most overrated band evar.

Speaking of overrated, I'll be going to AC/DC on 10/8

If you can't laid after taking a woman to AC/DC, you should just stay home and beat off.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Considering what you'll be getting laid with, I'm thinking beating off is the better option.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Grunge will never die!

Uhm... you do know that PJ is "post-grunge," right?

Matter of fact, why don't you go ahead and name one real grunge band that's still active (I can think of one that's touring right now, but I doubt you'll get it)?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Fill be in, o Vainglorious One.

First off, while messageboards are all fun and games -- if you EVER make any sort of comparison between me and the Resident Midget again, I'll haul my taller-than-average ass to DC and hunt you down.

Now that we've got that cleared up, the one old school grungers I can think of that still tour/record is Mudhoney -- who knows, there might be others, but I think Mudhoney pretty much soaked up the "Original Six," and the rest moved on -- some of them even moved on to PJ.

But "True Grunge" died with Andrew Wood/MLB.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Despite the opinion of most on here, I have always been a huge fan of PJ. And yes, that even means the post-Ten era. Enjoy the show Screw, I'm pissed that they're not making a stop in NYC.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

grunge is a word invented by mainstream "rock" journalists. the "it all died with Andrew Wood" thing is symbolic, but hoky. if you saw Screaming Trees or Green River or Tad...or bought Ultramega OK when it came out on SST. it was good music. no reason to make it all an all-in-one cliche.

PJ was always going to be an arena rock band. and they were good at it. like Styx. and i like Styx.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:no reason to make it all an all-in-one cliche
I agree.

Although the common bond seemed to be in the tone, and the usually-slower-than-typical-rock-tempos, it is "broad-brushing" to lump bands like AIC and Soundgarden with the softer bands like PJ, for example. They did share that "dirty Seattle guitar" sound, but are fairly diverse beyond that...

I just like busting Screwy's chops, mostly. Who, incidentally, I think is right about no Mudhony'ers joining PJ -- I get confused, since the whole Green River/Melvins/Mudhoney/Soundgarden/MLB/PJ family is so freaking inbred.

Although Wood was definitely the patriarch of that crew, and there was a certain "loss of innocence" in that scene after his croaking. And the rest of them seemed to quit giving a fuck about their own drug problems once Wood died.

Sure made for a glorious time being a young rocker in the U&L, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CPIXnaeeQ

If nothing else, they inspired a cult movie -- so they had that going for them.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, that one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Of the "Seattle Sound" bands, AIC is BY FAR my favorite.

Funny you mention this, since I just recently had a discussion about the bestSeattle Sound guitarist -- that being Jerry Cantrell. Mike McCready didn't suck, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0cK4gaEuM

^^^ Amazing guitar work
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Grunge will never die!

BTW, have you become a member of AARP yet? Senior citizens like yourself need all the lobbying help they can get in today's Washington.
I could join in 4 years, but, I seriously doubt I would. They are a bit too commie for me.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

Dinsdale wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Fill be in, o Vainglorious One.

First off, while messageboards are all fun and games -- if you EVER make any sort of comparison between me and the Resident Midget again, I'll haul my taller-than-average ass to DC and hunt you down.

Now that we've got that cleared up, the one old school grungers I can think of that still tour/record is Mudhoney -- who knows, there might be others, but I think Mudhoney pretty much soaked up the "Original Six," and the rest moved on -- some of them even moved on to PJ.

But "True Grunge" died with Andrew Wood/MLB.
If you ever besmirch the legacy of one Mr. Landrew again by considering him 'Grunge', I'll take away your music credits. He was pure glam. Malfunkshun "Return To Olympus" is all that is necessary for evidence. Or did you not see that there was a cover of Ted Nugent on there?

Pearl Jam is grunge. Grunge posers were Candlebox, Bush, etc. Post-Alternative, too, if you want to get technical. Post-grunge was Days of the New and Creed. You can toss Nickleback in that bag too, should you wish.

If you want to call Tad and Mudhoney 'grunge', then so be it. If you do that, then Green River was also grunge. Mudhoney came along later in the game. However, Pearl Jam was also in that gang (not to mention that Ament and Gossard played with Arm in Green River).

However, to say that Wood was grunge is ignorant. Pure glam. Maybe alternative, but not grunge in the slightest.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

singles is the worst movie ever made. it sucks out loud.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

King Crimson wrote:singles is the worst movie ever made. it sucks out loud.
Yes, but would you consider it to be worse than Reality Bites? At least Singles had Dyslexic Heart. Not a bad soundtrack, overall. Just a poor movie.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Screw_Michigan wrote:Yeah, it's not the best, but it's got guest appearances from Soundgarden, PJ, and it's got people dancing to State of Love and Trust in flannel!
The band reading the review on the Citizen Dick concert was pretty funny.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

By the way, if Andrew Wood had lived and Mother Love Bone hit the heights of success they were on their way to, the grunge era would have never occurred.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

battery chucka' one wrote:Post-grunge was Days of the New and Creed. You can toss Nickleback in that bag too, should you wish.
Boolshit. None of those guys deserve the distinction of any accredited genre other than Pure Horseshit.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Shit I remember seeing AIC open for Van Halen back in 1990 with Facelift...FUCKING A awesome...

they are by far my favorite from that era of music...Bleed The Freak, Sunshine, Put You down...fucking great shit right there...i am a fan of Angry Chair and WOULD (just a great groove on that tune)...even on Alice In Chains...Grind and Again...just great shit...

am indifferent on PJ...like some songs...but just can't stomach Eddie V...very good musicianship though...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I was always a big fan of AIC as well. Even liked the Jar of Flies album, which most self proclaimed hardcore AIC fans did not care for (or so I hear). Got Me Wrong, Damn that River, Down in a Hole, Sea of Sorrow, Brother, Again all solid tunes.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
battery chucka' one
Elwood

I still think it's somewhat funny that AIC opened for Poison on a leg of their Flesh and Blood tour.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

battery chucka' one wrote:I still think it's somewhat funny that AIC opened for Poison on a leg of their Flesh and Blood tour.
The only band to ever open for Poison AND Slayer, perhaps?
"Keys, woman!"
battery chucka' one
Elwood

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:I still think it's somewhat funny that AIC opened for Poison on a leg of their Flesh and Blood tour.
Probably. There's a seven degrees of Alice in Chains in there, I think.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
On second thought, Poison did have Life, Sex, and Death open for them on the Native Tongue tour. They were a little on the heavy side. They might have opened for Slayer (though not too likely).

I never said they were good.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:unfortunately I had to miss the final encore to catch a 12:35a train that didn't leave Philly until 1:30a

Total sidenote -- same deal here. If any sort of show/event/whatever goes late, you can't get a train... last one leaves downtown (and most places, give or take) around 12:30.

I know it's a law-enforcement nightmare (in our legendarily-gentle city, you still don't wanna be on a train at that hour -- taking your life in your hands, and Philly and/or DC MUST be worse), but seems like there'd be a lot less drunks on the road if they kept the trains running until the bars/clubs closed (or events such as PJ ended).

Glad you enjoyed your U&L-proxy experience.