ND's Eyechart gets his first MLB start tonight...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

ND's Eyechart gets his first MLB start tonight...

Post by Van »

..and it's against Pedro Martinez!

Sure took awhile for Samarzdjxyzsdja to make it to the majors, but here he is, in the middle of a pennant race for the Cubbies. I always liked that guy.

Helluva charmed life.

P.S.-His first batter in his first start was Jimmy Rollins. His first pitch was a ball, and he retired him on a groundout.

:mrgreen:

(Edit: Unfortunately, you need to get three outs per inning. The second batter roped a triple off him, and it would've been a HR in most parks. The third batter roped a double off him. The fourth batter roped another triple off him. Wow, a 96mph fastball struck out the fifth batter. The sixth batter flied out.

Rocky 1st inning. Dude obviously has a live arm but his throwing motion doesn't bode well for a long career. It's all arm, in a sort of short armed jerky motion. It's like an abbreviated Roger Clemens motion. Sure looks like his unconventional motion places excess strain on his arm.)

Surprisingly, ESPN is showing people in the Wrigley crowd wearing number 83 ND jerseys!
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Louis Cyphre
Elwood

Re: ND's Eyechart gets his first MLB start tonight...

Post by Louis Cyphre »

I may be wrong, but isn't this his second year in the majors? I remember him doing middle relief and some closing last year. But that may have been after they expanded the roster.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I'm sure you're right, since they showed a clip of him getting killed by Philly in some other game. This one tonight was his first MLB start.

Not so good. Seven earned runs, and he didn't get out of the fourth inning.

I'm rooting for him, but that throwing motion of his is worrisome.

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Van wrote:ND's Eyechart
Back in my day, that was the rector of my dorm. His last name was spelled Grzeskowiak. Prolly should have mixed in a vowel or twelve in the beginning.

He went about 5'9" and 350 lbs. (i.e., just a tad fatter than me, and just a tad slimmer than shutyomouth). Finally keeled over of a heart attack in 1990 at age 72. He probably got at least 20-30 extra years than he should have.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

He came up last year at the latest, but I think he came up in '07. They are trying to turn him into a starter this year. Let's see, Cubs farm system, my guess is arm problems in less than 3 years.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Killian, have you seen him throw much? This was the first time I've seen him pitch in the bigs. With that short, snapping arm motion doesn't he just look like arm problems waiting to happen?

Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

I believe he's come out of the bull pen 4 times prior to this start. (He's only starting due to the pitching staffs injuries. I know duh..)

I anticpated this not going well from his middle relief (relief not withstanding) appearances.

He's got good velocity but he's no way near good enough with location and finding more breaks on his off speed pitches. He should be learning in the farm system right now, not destroying his confidence on the big stage. And I think Sutcliff made some good points about his mental focus not being where it needs to be. He pointed out a couple clear mistakes he made last night. One not backing up a throw at the plate quickly enough.

I think Lou has no choice though at this point. The staff is paper thin.