Stoops is the Godfather of the Big XII Tiebreaker

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Stoops is the Godfather of the Big XII Tiebreaker

Post by King Crimson »

says San Antonio-based ESPN Big XII writer, and not so disguised UT honk (not just this article), Tim Griffin. Somehow, i don't think Mangino, Pelini, Briles and Leach are under Stoopsies thumb when they compete with him in football games. Mack was a Switzer assistant, does he shill for OU?

and Griffin implies they left Mack out of the whole deal--he didn't get representation (for not showing up). UT has a legit bitch about last year, i haven't ever said otherwise, but this is just stupid. I can't believe this guy gets paid to write about the Big XII as a national writer. he's so Texas parochial.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-9-27 ... ?post=true

No surprise that Big 12 coaches opt to keep tiebreaking status quo

May 6, 2009 11:37 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Big 12 coaches took the expected approach when they rejected the plan to change the conference's current tiebreaking rules for three-way deadlocks.

Coaches voted to keep the current manner of using the BCS standings to break ties between two or more teams.

It was the rule that boosted Oklahoma into the Big 12 title game on the fifth of sixth tiebreakers. Oklahoma finished 13 thousandths of a point last December after a three-way tie for the South championship involving the Sooners, Longhorns and Texas Tech.

I've got to think the fact that Texas was complaining the most about this particular rule didn't help the chances of change. Add that Texas coach Mack Brown wasn't present to argue his points and it was a tough uphill battle for the Longhorns to push for.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said he was willing to go with whatever way the other coaches would be willing to vote.

Stoops controls a rather sizable bloc of coaching votes who he has either worked under him or worked with. The Oklahoma coach was employed by Kansas State's Bill Snyder earlier in his career. Kansas coach Mark Mangino, Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and Nebraska coach Bo Pelini all worked on Stoops' staff. And Baylor coach Art Briles worked under Leach at Tech, making him a second-generation protege of Stoops.

The biggest reason, however, was because coaches believe the current system better provides a better chance for a national championship. The argument goes that there might be a chance that a fifth-ranked or sixth-ranked team might earn a championship game appearance over a team that's ranked first or second -- costing the conference a shot at a potential national championship.

Even the controversy of settling the Big 12 South by the fifth tiebreaker actually might have increased attention in the conference last season. The conference's national exposure had never been higher in the 13-season history of the conference than during the last month of the season.

Deep down, is that such a bad thing for Commissioner Dan Beebe and the conference?

The coaches' recommendation will be analyzed by conference athletic directors at their meeting May 18-20 in Colorado Springs, Colo.

But I'm not thinking they will change the current tiebreaking rule, either.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Re: Stoops is the Godfather of the Big XII Tiebreaker

Post by Moby Dick »

bwahahaha...Stoops is part of the NWO!

what're the odds that Mack's wife would have emergency surgery the day of the meeting eh? Stoops musta had something to do with it..he didnt want Mack's voice heard!!

dont fuck with Stoops..you'll be sleepin with the fishies.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Stoops, the Masons, and the Knights of the Templar....knew it would happen like this. and will happen again.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

LOL blame the Masons for everything, gosh damned dollar bills and all the little delicate pictures that spell the end of time.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i meant glen and desmond mason.
"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Believe the Heupel wrote:There's a rumor going 'round that Texas is about to take their ball and go home.
That would be fuggen awesome.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Believe the Heupel wrote:There's a rumor going 'round that Texas is about to take their ball and go home. Maybe Mack Brown will finally win that elusive ACC title.
Really? Link?

I heard that Bob Stoops hates Jesus, kicks puppies and makes fun of kids with mental and physical defects....The last 2 is really alienating him from the majority of OU fans.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Maybe you guys could again all end up in another three way clusterfuck, and maybe Texas could again lose out in the stupid tie-breaker, following a win over OU in the RRS.

It may be a hoax link now, but let the same scenario happen again and the idea of Texas throwing the mother of all hissy fits will become real.

Good times.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Van wrote:It may be a hoax link now, but let the same scenario happen again and the idea of Texas throwing the mother of all hissy fits will become real.
Either that, or the reverse could happen one of these years. OU beats Texas in the RRS and Texas ends up going to the BCS championship in a three-way tie.

Of course, a playoff would render all of these potential tiebreaker changes meaningless.

Oh wait, I forgot. Controversy is "good" for CFB because it gets people "talking."

:meds: :meds: :meds:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.