First round games thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: First round games thread

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

American up by 12 :shock:

Clemson looking like they're going to get blown out.

Akron coming out of nowhere.

Great games.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:American up by 12 :shock:
OU fan saw American early in the year, good basketball team.

Minny getting lulled into that "if we dont' guard AJ Abrams" how bad can it be trap.

edit: an Abrams 3 puts UT up 15.
Last edited by King Crimson on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

They cut away to the Minny-Tex game for a few mins and Abrams hits three consecutive 3s. jesus. The guy seems like he's either a dagger or a total nonfactor.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Jsc810 wrote:Myelograms are not pleasant...
That's what this forum needs... hospital talk. Let's talk shop.

Where does it rank in the seemingly endless list of invasive procedures done to your body over the years?

Is is like... a colonoscopy's bitch? Does it make a standard spinal tap seem like a walk in the park?

Now that I got that out of my system... hope all is well and stuff. Why are they looking at your spine? Hopefully it's just a disc issue and not... "foreign bodies." Jeeze dude, you're a mess. :(
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Jsc810 wrote:I don't care what it does to my bracket, I love it when there are big upsets in this tourney.

Go American! :lol:
looks like American will have to beat the network officiating and home court to pull this out.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

as i type some big stiff for American gets fouled twice on a drive to the hoop, no call.

nova has a guy double stop and raise his hands above his head, going to the line for 2.
"
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Wolverines sure looked like they wanted to throw that game away but got the huge 3-point play by Harris on that crucial trip down the floor when the lead was down to 1. Clemson had the chance to hit a three and tie it at the end but never got a good look and wasted time before heaving up a prayer at the buzzer. Not a great-looking win but for the first tourney game in 11 years for them, it's a monster win.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
Where does it rank in the seemingly endless list of invasive procedures done to your body over the years?
The man is younger than me.

He should self-invade with a bullet, cost about ten cents.

Fuck this piece of human wreckage for driving up health care costs, and fuck him twice for bringing that noise up in a March Madness thread.

Jsc, if you die tomorrow, good riddance.

Have a nice day, what's left of it.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Wags ... really?

:doh:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

ucant had a moment of weakness and somebody had to fill the void.

That is all.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

We had a good year...

I think Monty did a great job in his first year. He basically got to the NCAA's minus Ryan Anderson which proved Braun was not getting the job done. You add Ryan Anderson to that team and we'd of really made some noise.

Maryland was better. Their press really hurt us. It took Wilkes out of the game completely. We turned it over too many times. Should of tried harder to get the 3rd foul on Vasquez in that first half. Maryland stalled with him out and had to reinsert him in that first half. I guess Randle just ran out of gas in the second half? Theo played well. Patrick has NBA athletic ability. If he could learn how to handle, get in the lane, and dish or shoot his stock would go way up (not to mention he should be more of a force on defense). He should get a few more boards too. Boykins had an off night. He couldn't throw a pea in the ocean today. Wrong time for us to lose his offense.

All in all, we got a tough draw with Maryland and then Memphis, but hey unless you're a 5 seed or better you're going to be playing tough teams. I was happy with the year. We over achieved with 2 wins over Washington and a 3rd place finish in the conference.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Jsc810 wrote:I'd like to publically thank .m2 for his assistance with my bracket. I would have picked any team other than Cal because of him, and of course Cal lost, so thanks.

I actually like basketball for the sport and not the bet.

I've never understood the "office" losers that watch the games for the brackets.

Actually, I take that back... those losers never played sports.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Griffin just got judo flipped after a made basket ... Morgan St. guy gets tossed.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

rhymenocerous wrote:Griffin just got judo flipped after a made basket ... Morgan St. guy gets tossed.
Pure bitch move. Dude gets major tard points for throwing up his hands like he's the one that got flipped.
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

War Wagon wrote:ucant had a moment of weakness and somebody had to fill the void.

Over the years, I've lobbed enough smack grenades his way.

Damn... am I going... soft? That's like twice in the last week I wasn't an utter and complete asshole. Thanks for picking up the slack with some mortar fire. I think.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Western Kentucky nearly gave the game back to Illinois but hung tough at the end. Another 5 goes down to a 12.

UCLA almost got beat as well. Props to VCU.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

King Crimson wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:I don't care what it does to my bracket, I love it when there are big upsets in this tourney.

looks like American will have to beat the network officiating and home court to pull this out.
:meds:

Hit some buckets down the stretch and play some D. AU didn't do that.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

RACK WUSA in DC (which is a "Duke market") for not keeping us on that piece of shit for more than 10 min tonight.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Rack Western Kentucky on that performance, even though they blew a nail in the coffin-type lead.

Nova/UCLA should be an interesting game.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

King Crimson wrote:

That's usually the case when you're a 13 seed. Props to AU for making it a great game to watch. Coach Wright gave a lot of credit to Carr saying he is one of the best guards they've faced all year. He couldn't miss in the 1st half.

Nova's inside play was undoubtedly going to cause AU to get tired at some point and Nova might have gotten the benefit of some calls but the fact is AU just wasn't used to playing against a team with that kind of muscle inside and it showed late in the 2nd half.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Right now I'm getting Syracuse up by 20+ while all three of the other games are within 3 points or less. I realize Syracuse is the most popular college basketball team in the area, and that contest isn't particularly close, but still . . .
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Kansas getting all they want from NDSU right now.

My bracket got trashed yesterday.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

I was 14-2 yesterday. Only games I missed were a 8-9 matchup (took Butler over LSU) and a 7-10 matchup (took Clemson over Michigan). Had neither going past the next round.

Good thing Villanova survived, otherwise my bracket would've been trashed. I had them in the Final Four.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Bruce Pearl is a moron.

try and have your guys guard someone (like Byron Eaton undressing two of your guys off the dribble), and complain then.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

And I go 0/3 on the dreaded 8/9 game...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

So far I've dropped four games (Butler, Tennessee, VCU, BYU) but didn't have any of them advancing past the second round. ASU/Temple is a huge game for me since I have the Sun Devils in the elite 8.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ETSU giving Pitt all they can handle.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Rack Western Kentucky on that performance, even though they blew a nail in the coffin-type lead.

Actually, I see Nova winning this game easily.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Seer wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Rack Western Kentucky on that performance, even though they blew a nail in the coffin-type lead.

Actually, I see Nova winning this game easily.
Good. You had no business winning last night, anyway.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WVU looks fucking awful. This could be my first sweet 16 team gone.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

It still hurts a little every time I watch WVU play and see the progression of Devin Ebanks. Kid would have looked mighty good in the Cream & Crimson. Too bad denim shirt couldn't stay off the phone.

WVU back to within 4 now. My guess is they'll pull this one out.

My NDSU Bison gave it a run but even 37 from Woodside not enough. Rack NDSU +10.5 though!!!
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mgo escapes, Temple falls to AZ ST.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

Shine wrote:My NDSU Bison gave it a run but even 37 from Woodside not enough. Rack NDSU +10.5 though!!!
I got Kansas at -9.5 this morning!! Good times are had by all!

Nice middle there for us Shine.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shine wrote:WVU back to within 4 now. My guess is they'll pull this one out.
I don't know. WVU can't stop them inside. Hope you're right.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

My original line on that game was 10 so I'm really glad the dreaded half point came into the mix for me!!!

WVU now down only 1 with plenty of time left. Pitt in a dogfight.

Mizzou keep pouring it on, I need you to win by at least 13.5 points.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Pitt won't escape this one. You're looking at the first time a 16 gets a win.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Pitt is getting out-hustled. They'll win on talent alone.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

.m2 wrote:Pitt won't escape this one. You're looking at the first time a 16 gets a win.
Jim Calhoun said it'd never happen, so you're wrong.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Ummm. can someone tell me how that wasn't foul on Pitt when ETSU shot that 3 ?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WVU missing so many opportunities. This is hard to watch.