Here's some shit to ponder

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Here's some shit to ponder

Post by Dinsdale »

Sometimes, the funniest shit on this board is delivered unintentionally...

XXXL wrote:I majored in Econ as an undergrad... the severe depression of the 30's created the Federal Reserve...

Awesome... totally awesome.

I almost wish I was back in the economics classrooms

Yeah, since you learned sooooo much the first time around.

Fucking priceless. Leads one to wonder: what exactly does it take to pass the cali bar exam? Showing up with a pencil and spelling your name correctly? Because XXXDumb and TVO sure seem to prove that it sure the fuck don't take any brains.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Otis wrote:
ChargerMike wrote:...where's KC Scott when you need him?
Probably laughing at the naysayers that refused to believe him when he warned them that the shit was about to hit the fan.
Yeah, props to Scott for predicting at least 6 of the last 2 market corrections :lol: :lol: :lol:
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Left Seater wrote:
If you can get the credit right now is a great time to buy real estate from owners needing to cash out now to avoid bankruptcy or from the banks left holding the properties.
My wife and I also just bought a house. Prices are cheap, there's tons of great properties on the market and interest rates are low. Great time to buy.

This idea that its impossible to get credit right now is bullshit. Its only tough to get credit, if your credit record is shit, or you are a high risk to pay off your loan, in which case you shouldn't be taking out credit anyway. If you are a successful person, or even just a normal person, with decent credit, trying to purchase a house, or get a loan in which the payments aren't more than 50% of what you bring in each month, you can still get a loan with no trouble.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Sometimes, the funniest shit on this board is delivered unintentionally...

XXXL wrote:I majored in Econ as an undergrad... the severe depression of the 30's created the Federal Reserve...

What? You don't believe in time travel?

I was actually suprised that it took this long to begin piling-on the tard.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Dinsdale wrote:I was actually suprised that it took this long to begin piling-on the tard.
I was going to get to it - right after I finished punching the shit out of a sand dune.
suprised
I'm surprised you misspelled that.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:
I'm surprised you misspelled that.

One of those mental-hurdles for me. I'm well-aware of the proper spelling, but it always gets lost between brain and keyboard.

Just like I often want to type "they're" instead of "their," even though I'm quite familiar with the proper usage. Just as my fingers often try to type "it's" as a possessive.

But at least I didn't "major" in economics to determine that the Fed Reservecame about in response to the Depression... so at least I've got that going for me.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:Just like I often want to type "they're" instead of "their," even though I'm quite familiar with the proper usage. Just as my fingers often try to type "it's" as a possessive.
that's just your fingers trying to apply logic to english spelling which can, on occasion lead to a KYOA episode worthy of msToolVO.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

PSUFAN wrote:
poptart wrote:Where is the magic money supposed to come from?
Good question. In fact, the question has been valid for a long time. How exactly have we been generating prosperity during the past 20-25 years? We've been steadily decreasing our industrial output over that period. We've been clucking our tongues appreciatively at wealth generated in the margins of our economy. I guess we're as rich as we say we are...for a while. I think even retirees sitting in hot tubs guzzling Diet Piss are going to have to sit back and honestly assess things, as little as they are used to that.
Cliff notes: "I don't know where the money in this "plan" comes from, poptart."

I hope that means you would not SUPPORT such a bill as this.

"Yeah, but the government has to do ... SOMETHING!"

True, but going another trillion dollars into the tank sure as shit ain't it.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Just looking at Depressions and Recessions in the history of the USA--

https://globotrends.pbwiki.com/List-of-USA-recessions

I wonder if any of the tools in DC even look at history !
We may well be better off with the federal government riding the storm out and doing nothing.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
XXXL
Rainmaker

Post by XXXL »

Dinsdale wrote:Sometimes, the funniest shit on this board is delivered unintentionally...

Fucking priceless. Leads one to wonder: what exactly does it take to pass the cali bar exam? Showing up with a pencil and spelling your name correctly? Because XXXDumb and TVO sure seem to prove that it sure the fuck don't take any brains.
Original tard response(s) LOL
XXXL
Rainmaker

Post by XXXL »

Is that all you've got, weak stuff tard!
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

mvscal wrote:
poptart wrote:"Yeah, but the government has to do ... SOMETHING!"
I have yet to hear an even remotely compelling argument that that is the case. If they want to "do something" they ought to try sitting down and shutting the fuck up.
I don't believe the government should do nothing.

What they should DO is stop their ridiculous spending and give the citizens a BIG tax rebate, among other things.
XXXL
Rainmaker

Post by XXXL »

R-Jack wrote:
XXXL on his second fucking try wrote: Is that all you've got, weak stuff tard!
What the fuck is wrong with you? Seriously, why are you so Goddamn stupid? Do you have a nail lodged in your skull or something? Are you friends with Loganfan?

Your take sucks :)
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

XXXL just posted the three worst smack takes in the history of smack takes even JTR would find embarrassing.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Oh I don't know. Listening to Obama recently, those takes almost take on a PRESIDENTIAL tone.

Remember, these lawyer types, might use words to make us think they're stupid but that's just playing possum.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Dinsdale wrote: pass the cali bar exam ... TVO
Please tell us all about the 10th Am and its relationship to a Nation Health Care plan.

I shant hold my breath.
Dinsdale wrote:[It's O]ne of those mental-hurdles for me.
Good Gawd but you're a bleeding cunt.
XXXL
Rainmaker

Post by XXXL »

Van wrote:XXXL just posted the three worst smack takes in the history of smack takes even JTR would find embarrassing.

Back on point frustrated economist/esquire tard :)
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
XXXL wrote:
Van wrote:XXXL just posted the three worst smack takes in the history of smack takes even JTR would find embarrassing.
Back on point frustrated economist/esquire tard :)
Oh, OK. You may begin by explaining how the Federal Reserve which was established in 1913 was developed in response to the Great Depression.
I'm sure he's confusing the Fed with the SEC. Which tells me he probably hasn't the foggiest idea what either institution does.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

...I'll still go with my "toilet paper" tax idear. Lets use this guy as an arbitrary guide Image your 12 count Scott brand mega roll (12 mega rolls equal 32 of the single ply finger through type stuff.)

You can pick this up anywhere for $14.99. I can still handle the simple math....comes out to around $1.25 per. Now I know you can cut that in half at Cosco and other places, but we have to start somewhere, and my plan works no matter what the cost.

OK, we add a 5 cent per roll tax...wallah, you do the math, based on how many rolls per day YOU think this country goes through. Get back to me with...say a monthly total. Just the asswipes on this board would put a decent dent in the deficit.
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

ChargerMike wrote:...I'll still go with my "toilet paper" tax idear. Lets use this guy as an arbitrary guide Image your 12 count Scott brand mega roll (12 mega rolls equal 32 of the single ply finger through type stuff.)

You can pick this up anywhere for $14.99. I can still handle the simple math....comes out to around $1.25 per. Now I know you can cut that in half at Cosco and other places, but we have to start somewhere, and my plan works no matter what the cost.

OK, we add a 5 cent per roll tax...wallah, you do the math, based on how many rolls per day YOU think this country goes through. Get back to me with...say a monthly total. Just the asswipes on this board would put a decent dent in the deficit.
The bidet makers would make a killing.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:Quiet. He majored in economics, OK?
Prolly a ball-sucking SEC homer.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Is there any other type of SEC homer?

BTW, the SEC was formed way before the depression, dumbshits. And it was a meatgrinder then as well.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

mvscal wrote:
smackaholic wrote:BTW, the SEC was formed way before the depression, dumbshits.
Is that your final answer?
I could be wrong but I believe the inclusion of the phrase "Meatgrinder" would seem to indicate he's referring to a different SEC than the one you mean, Mvscal.

I believe he's referring to this SEC...

Dude, seriously. I don't care if you have to fake it. Pretend you like college football. The CF board needs some sweet nothings from you.
Last edited by Van on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Van wrote:
mvscal wrote:
smackaholic wrote:BTW, the SEC was formed way before the depression, dumbshits.
Is that your final answer?
I could be wrong but I believe the inclusion of the phrase "Meatgrinder" would seem to indicate he's referring to a different SEC than the one you mean, Mvscal.
Don't get in his way when he's on a roll.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Don't get in his way when he's on a roll.
As far as Mvscal is concerned the entire human experience (besides Mrs Vogel's starfish) is an attack by the Germans on Pearl Harbor.

LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

smackaholic wrote:Wow, did milt buttfukk phil right in his pie hole or what? All phil could do was stare. He was way out of his league there.
Like Alan Greenspan, the other prominent Ayn Rand devotee who weaseled his way into an influential position in American financial policy, Milton Friedman has been thoroughly disgraced. What we see in his appearance on Phil is just a professor holding forth with the technique of a long-time classroom lecturer . Phil was certainly too polite--and somewhat naive--to deal properly with this sort of intellectual bully. As it is, Friedman is able to easily mix abstractions and hollow rhetoric amid such cheap techniques as the "either/or" fallacy. That is, his standard reply to any questioning of Capitalism's basic validity is to compare it with totalitarian forced labor. This is ludicrous, of course, and we note how carefully Friedman controls any comments or questions--cutting off the audience and Phil with an air of dismissive superiority.

In fact, if Phil had been on his game, he could have cut Friedman up like sushi. He could have pointed out, for example, that Capitalist expansion has only worked during those relatively short periods of post-war divvying of the loot, as it were. In America, this was the 1950's through the 1990's, to be generous. Accompanying these spurts of conspicuous gorging in the victor society has always been a pattern of a larger group of societies being subjugated to supply the thriving Free Market societies. In America's case we can see a concerted effort on the part of the CIA and so forth to essentially bring the entire region of Central and South America into the American portfolio of client states--non-union sweat shop zones of carefully maintained underdevelopment. This is why the U.S. military has invaded Central and South America over thirty times since WWII. And why they resent us so much.

Friedman's "theory" of Free Market Capitalism is based ultimately on the utterly immature and childish supposition that permanent expansion of markets are somehow possible. To understand the bizarre tunnel-vision of this idiocy, consider the source, Ayn Rand and her book, "The New Left: The Anti-Industrial Revolution," where the ranting harpy inveighs her bile against the "hippies" and other environmentalists. She of course has been proven a joke, Greenspan was last seen appearing to be in a state of shock as he appeared before congress, and Friedman is dead. We now have to deal with the disaster wrought by the utter Ponzi scam that has been Free Market Capitalism.

Wakey Wake
Before God was, I am
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

ChargerMike wrote:...I'll still go with my "toilet paper" tax idear. Lets use this guy as an arbitrary guide Image your 12 count Scott brand mega roll (12 mega rolls equal 32 of the single ply finger through type stuff.)

RACK.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yes, Van, that was what I was going for. Not sure how anyone on this board could not recognize a meatgrinder reset.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

If they don't frequent the BTPCF board then I can easily see how they wouldn't get the "Meatgrinder" reference. They probably don't get the SECBSH reference either.

Mvscal never posts there and I doubt he lurks there either.

It's a shame, actually.

Hell, I don't know the derivatioon of "T.R.O.T.S." I know it means a thread has been shitcanned to its own dead end forum but I don't know what the letters stand for and I don't know how that phrase came into being.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I rarely set foot into the CF forum either. I have seen numerous meatgrinder comments here. Have also seen one of the better trolls here, SECBSH numerous times as well.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

LTS TARD wrote:We now have to deal with the disaster wrought by the utter Ponzi scam that has been Free Market Capitalism.
lol

Friend, we haven't really had "Free Market" Capitalism.

We've had nothing but continual government interference into FREE markets.

THAT is why we are now fucked so badly.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Well 88, there's China.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba857be6-f88f ... 07658.html

They say politics makes for strange bedfellows but economics makes us all nothing but whores and johns.
China will continue to buy US Treasury bonds even though it knows the dollar will depreciate because such investments remain its “only option” in a perilous world, a senior Chinese banking regulator said on Wednesday.

China has used the dollars it accumulates selling manufactured goods to US consumers to accumulate the world’s largest holding of Treasuries.

However, the increasing US budget deficit and its potential impact on the dollar have raised questions about the future Chinese appetite for US debt.

Luo Ping, a director-general at the China Banking Regulatory Commission, said after a speech in New York on Wednesday that China would continue to buy Treasuries in spite of its misgivings about US finances.

“Except for US Treasuries, what can you hold?” he asked. “Gold? You don’t hold Japanese government bonds or UK bonds. US Treasuries are the safe haven. For everyone, including China, it is the only option.”

Mr Luo, whose English tends toward the colloquial, added: “We hate you guys. Once you start issuing $1 trillion-$2 trillion [$1,000bn-$2,000bn] . . .we know the dollar is going to depreciate, so we hate you guys but there is nothing much we can do.”
PWNT ?
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

^^^ I like it. The sin taxes fuck themselves. You can quit smoking....or drinking....but you can't quit wiping your ass.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I realize that dude. The point is, they own the biggest IOU this country has written. They didn't go the way of the Soviet Union. Yes, China and several other socialist countries (Vietnam for eg.) have prospered by adopting some principles more often associated with capitalism.

Therein lies the ultimate Devil's Advocate question ..... the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt if you will ....

Government and people in power will ALWAYS interfere. It's human nature. It corrupts socialism and it corrupts capitalism.

TRUTH

With that in mind, and the evil of government interference noted .... do cycles of socialism .... and cycles of capitalism provide the Yin/Yang of economic prosperity for a given entity ?

Not making a statement. Just asking what I find to be an interesting question.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

H4ever wrote:You can quit smoking....or drinking....but you can't quit wiping your ass.
True, but then using the paper stuff we call "money" today might be the cheaper alternative if certain economists are correct.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Tom In VA wrote:
H4ever wrote:You can quit smoking....or drinking....but you can't quit wiping your ass.
True, but then using the paper stuff we call "money" today might be the cheaper alternative if certain economists are correct.
yeah, and stock certificates, 401k statements
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Tom In VA wrote:88,

Government and people in power will ALWAYS interfere. It's human nature. It corrupts socialism and it corrupts capitalism.

TRUTH

With that in mind, and the evil of government interference noted .... do cycles of socialism .... and cycles of capitalism provide the Yin/Yang of economic prosperity for a given entity ?
I don't think it's so much that, either in a capitalist or communist government. I wouldn't pose it as interference, rather just the workings of a technocracy.
Don't personalise it, I view government in whatever form, or private industry as slightly different, giant machines. In terms of decision making, you feed information in and whatever comes out at the other end .. is what it is - there is no human nature involved.
Which version is superior, is up to your own set of values I suppose.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Yes, but I was thinking specifically of end results in any political decision - capitalist or communist - or private.
The journey a political decision takes, when it starts out as an idea at the top of the pile and how it winds up in the day to day reality of the plebs.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

88 wrote:Tom-

As far as I can tell, the greatest gains for the masses have occurred when government got the hell out of the way and let the masses work for themselves. In such circumstances, there are definitely going to be a few big winners and few big losers. But the great number in the middle generally benefit. A rising tide lifts all. And there are going to be cycles of boom times and busts. That is natural.

The big difference between socialism and capitalism is individual incentive. In a socialist system, there is no incentive for any individual to do any more than is required by the state. The individual derives no personal benefit from his labor. That is why technology from socialist and communist countries tends to lag technology from capitalist countries.

In the United States, if you have a good idea and/or are willing to do hard work, and you have a couple of lucky breaks perhaps, you can lift yourself from a state of abject poverty to fantastic wealth. And you can enjoy that wealth during your lifetime and pass it on to your descendants. That is the American Dream that causes people to get into rafts and flee places like Cuba. There is no such dream when socialism is practiced. Socialism absolutely kills individual human spirit and drive.
Indulge me a bit more if you will.

By your own article, it is clear that Socialism does not completely kill individual human spirit and drive. We see it in China, we've seen it in the Eastern Block countries during the cold war. Indeed, that repressed spirit and drive causes a natural human tilt towards more capitalistic ways which in China's case seems to be prosperous enough to own the U.S.

Opposing theorists contend that government tainted Capitalism creates an unfair society as well. So wouldn't it stand to reason that similiar drives and spirits can fuel a tilt towards Socialism and that it is part of a natural cycle ?

You'll have to forgive me. I'm trying to understand just what the fuck is happening in our country. The multiple different propaganda outlets are busy twisting the hell out of truth and pulling it like taffy and I watched the CSpan "conference" and ass kissing going on tonight.

At this point I suppose "acceptance" is the answer. Question is, will it do any good ? It seems as we march further and further into socialism and there isn't much we can do about it, I'm just asking .....

Is there a bright side ?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Oh...Wikipedia?
Socialism refers to a broad set of economic theories of social organization advocating state or collective ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods, and a society characterized by equal opportunities for all individuals with a fair or egalitarian method of compensation.
Communism is a socioeconomic structure and political ideology that promotes the establishment of an egalitarian, classless, stateless society based on common ownership and control of the means of production and property in general.
Capitalism is an economic system in which wealth, and the means of producing wealth, are privately owned and controlled rather than commonly, publicly, or state-owned and controlled.
A gun doesn't kill a mvscal. A mvscal kills a mvscal.

An idea about society doesn't kill individual human spirit and drive. How a mvscal applies it may well do so, and usually does.

Hell, capitalism has gone well, until...

Hell, socialism has gone well, until...

Hell, instant replay has gone well, until...

Hell, communism has gone well, until...

Problem is, a mvscal is a mvscal, at the end of the day. It is permanently in his nature to try and get over. THAT'S A FACT, JACK.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.