Freezing Rain - Ice Storm - Memphis

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Freezing Rain - Ice Storm - Memphis

Post by War Wagon »

If it's anything like the ice storm that hit Memphis some 15 years ago, it'll shut that city down. I visited my brother there about 20 years ago and couldn't get over how many huge, magnificent trees they had everywhere. Ice storms and old trees don't mix.

Good luck. AC/DC was here last week and I know some folks who went. I hear they were incredible.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:Good luck. AC/DC was here last week and I know some folks who went. I hear they were incredible.
Wouldn't doubt it. Kind of easy to get things down when you're playing the same 22 songs at every fucking show.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

But me being a drummer...Phil Rudd is a HUMAN FUCKING METRONOME...

dude just locks in and rocks...nothing fancy...groove check, time kept check, fits within song check...

dude rocks...

just sayin...i have heard they were awesome as well...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:Ice storms and old trees don't mix.
Thanks for that, Marcus.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Ice storms and old trees don't mix.
Thanks for that, Marcus.
You're welcome. Always wanting to be helpful, and all that.

I guess I should have added that since Memphis rarely has a major ice storm, the humongous trees there are very susceptiple to catastrophic damage when the once a decade or so event comes around.

But since 99% of any tree is already dead, who gives a fuck, right? Just culling the herd.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

SS;
How low do you go when it comes to temps you ride in?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

War Wagon wrote: Ice storms and old trees don't mix.
So, if there weren't any "old" trees, there'd be no downed power lines during an ice storm?

Alright...
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

We've been getting freezing rain all day. Took me 30 minutes to scrape the quarter-inch sheet of ice off my car in the work parking lot tonight.

And AC/DC is playing in Tulsa tonight.

Lots of bad jokes throughout the day posted on local boards, along with a bunch of pussies from OKC who wanted them to postpone the show. Tons of people downtown headed to the BOK Center when I was leaving work tonight though.

Have fun at the show, Sam.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
War Wagon wrote: Ice storms and old trees don't mix.
So, if there weren't any "old" trees, there'd be no downed power lines during an ice storm?
I didn't mention power lines, but yeah...

Ice can knock down power lines with or without the help of old tree limbs.

Is that the point you're trying to wring out?

Those pesky tree limbs can make it considerably harder to restore power, though.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

If I ever go to memphis for music, I'm guessing that it's gonna be to see some old black dudes, not some pasty aussie fags.

Next month I plan on going to see buddy guy and bb king in providence.

Not saying that I wouldn't mind seeing AC/DC. Just that I wouldn't fly somewhere to see them, especially not to the center of the blues universe.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

War Wagon wrote:Those pesky tree limbs can make it considerably harder to keep your vehicle on the road
Word.

-TTB
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:Seems silly to get heated grips down here as I can ride most of the winter without them. I'm sure they'd be nice, though.
I haven't owned a motorcycle in quite a few years, and just the other day, I found my old set of hippo hands, or whatever brand they were.

They're the doohickers that velcro around the end of the bars, and form a pocket you slide your hands into.

They're kind of a pain in the ass, but if you're going a few miles or more, worth the inconvenience and the weird feeling of not being able to just pull your hands away from the bars.

I rarely used them, but when I needed to go somewhere more than a few minutes a day, they were well worth it. I just had the cheap nylon ones, not the schnazzy leather kind.

Don't know if I mentioned this, but I spent 3 winters of my life on 2 wheels.... and had the temperature discussion with someone just the other day. The verdict (for the moist U&L air, anyway) was that anything below 35 was pretty lame, but doable. Anything below 25... forgetaboutit. A rider could theoretically gear up for a long ride, but eventually would get cold.

Then again, my buddy lived in Fairbanks for a long time, and told of his buddy who rode his Hog year-round... in Fucking FairFuckingFiftyBelowBanks, Alaska. And in a strange coincedence, another friend moved there 15 years or so ago, and befriended the same guy (not too many year-round bikers, I'm told... there was one, in fact). Unfortunately, said biker dude hit some ice on a hairpin, and went over a cliff, or so I was told. For that reason, although I've never been to Fairbanks, I'd recommend against year-round motorcycling... then again, I'd recommend against it in Portland, OR too. Commuting in freezing rain sucks balls... and I've done it quite a few times...

I'm obviously immune to the ways of Darwin.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It seems like unless you have some serious gear, like that leather apron-thingy that covers your whole lower body (motorcycle cops use them around here in winter), when it's 25 degrees, the de facto speed limit becomes 25MPH.

Few things are dorkier than a Windjammer... but any accessory that allows you to smoke a cig on a motorcycle ain't all bad.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:freeze a caribou isn't some place I'd like to ride a bike.
I think it was 2 years ago... anyway, a friend of mine took a winter job in Fairbanks...

Siding houses.

Apparently, if you're willing to work outside in -50 temps, a contractor can get all the construction work they'd ever want.

I'll pass, thank you very little (I'm sure I could probably score that job there too... not for all the tea in China).

Although props to my buddy for survivng a moose attack during his workday.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Last Friday when I started out it was 32º when I started out. I was wearing long underwear, jeans, chaps, undershirt, flannel shirt, thick sweater, leather jacket, boots, and Gerbings gloves. I rode about 55 miles to a location I didn't think would be any different (or even warm for being later in the morning); standing & walking around outside I had a very difficult time warming up. Two hours after I got there I went to a gas station to fuel up when I saw a bank sign across the street that read 28º. :shock: I then rode approx. 75 miles to another location, where I would guess it was around 33º. After a few minutes off the bike I was shaking uncontrollably, with a bit of frostbite on my fingertips, bottom of my toes, and the balls of my feet.

I'm thinking that glove liners might help out for a better distribution of the heat on my fingers, and I do have a warmer pair of boots (didn't think I'd need them that morning). But I think the next time the temps get that low I'll probably just cage it.

Riding in negative temps? Fucking nuts.
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

My coldest ride evah? Some time in the fall of 1984 in central florida.

I was going to school in the Navy in Orlando. I had my shiny new honda 550 nighthawk. Some friends were going to a concert (jefferson starship) in lakeland, about an hour away. I rode my bike. About half way there, we stopped. I parked the bike and rode with them the rest of the way. When they dropped me off on the way back, it was around midnight and prolly about 60 degrees. I hopped on the bike in my t shirt and jeans. About a half hour ride back and I have never been that cold since. Not even close.

BTW, the concert did pretty much suck. Only thing I remember being decent was the bass player doing a solo that was kinda cool. Not as cool as I was though later on.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

smackaholic wrote:BTW, the concert did pretty much suck. Only thing I remember being decent was the bass player doing a solo that was kinda cool. Not as cool as I was though later on.
Was Craig Chaquico with the band then?
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

no idea. grace slick was there. that fag due with the permed hair, mickey something or other. Not sure about the rest.
Andy Assmunch
Get Your Smile On

Post by Andy Assmunch »

Stay warm, SS! Looking forward to the PET. :D
I have a lust for life
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

pussy.