Pryor more overhyped than Ron Powlus?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Pryor more overhyped than Ron Powlus?

Post by TheJON »

I've been watching enough of Pryor this year to know this guy just isn't a good QB. Freshman or not, he throws like a girl and I question his natural instincts. I haven't a clue what anyone saw in him other than as an athlete. Wow, he can run and jump and he's 6'6. Awesome. Go play WR son. You suck as a QB. I just don't get all this new excitement for these mobile QB's. Fuck that. Give me a pocket passer with a great, accurate arm. You can have your Michael Vick types and my team will whoop your ass up and down the field all day.

Pryor is not Vince. He doesn't have Vince's natural instincts out there. Vince was a great college QB and I knew his game would never translate to the NFL. Pryor, on the other hand, doesn't have the game for either at QB. If Tressel were smart and not the shit coach he's proven to be lately, he'd go recruit someone else and have Pryor play WR. That's the only way he's ever gonna get a sniff at the NFL anyways.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: Pryor more overhyped than Ron Powlus?

Post by PSUFAN »

Pryor just completed his freshman season. Let's not close the book on his college career just yet.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

PSUFAN wrote:Pryor just completed his freshman season. Let's not close the book on his college career just yet.

What he said...dude beat the teams he was supposed to beat. Penn State and Texas were superior clubs this year and they wouldn't have beat USC no matter how many snaps he got in that game. If Wells stays another year, I'd be scared shitless to have to run into that backfield tandem '09.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

"Tell TheJon I said, have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!"
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Only SOME of Pryor's struggles can be attributed to his youth. I'm telling you, this kid is not gonna make it at QB. Wow, he can run and he's athletic. Big fuckin' deal. Dude throws like a girl. He'll never be able to throw with any accuracy and he doesn't seem to have the natural instincts to play this position at a high level. I don't know if you can really improve on those things. It's either you've got it or you don't. And he doesn't. He reminds me of Jake Christensen. Obviously Jake doesn't have Pryor's mobility or size, but I saw similar things in Jake last year and when I brought this up to Hawkeye buddies of mine it was always "he's young, chill out". I said 3 games into the season last year that Jake wouldn't make it. My friends told me to shut the fuck up and that it's his inexperience. No it wasn't. He lacked accuracy and the natural instinct required to play the position. I wanted him pulled 3 games into his career. I'd seen enough to know he sucked. I was right. I see these same things with Pryor. The only difference is he's an incredible athlete.

Pryor needs to switch to WR. For his own good. I assume a guy that's as highly regarded as he is wants to play in the NFL. Well, he has no shot at QB. These mobile QB's that can't throw have been exposed in the NFL. It's getting back to a pocket passer league and always will be. Defenses are too fast and too talented for some great athlete to be able to get away with playing the QB position without being able to throw. I don't know how great of a pass catcher he is since I've only seen him make 1 catch. But I do know that if he sticks at QB, he's going to go down as a major bust and will never get a sniff at the NFL. I'd sig bet anyone on this.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Jon, long time, no talk. Graduated from high school yet?

I'm just saying that 'cause there's no way in Hell that you were alive and of age to be a "true" fan of college football if you're actually comparing the Powlus hype to what Pryor has received. Even with the 24-hour newscycle of the modern age, Powlus was hyped infinitely more than Pryor. Beano Cook literally shit himself, had a stroke, and then said, "Ron Powlus is going to win two Heisman's."

Jus' sayin'...

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

you didn't see vince young play as a freshman, obviously.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

88 I agree that his footwork is terrible, but so was Zwick's and it was maddening that he wasnt able to get it fixed. while smith was the better QB in the long run, but Zwick made me crazy every time he played.

I just hope your right, and he gets some work..
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:Image

"Tell TheJon I said, have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!"
CRUTCHES, PROPS and RACK

although...equating TheJon to Bill Cosby might be slightly questionable.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Qbert wrote:CRUTCHES, PROPS and RACK

Qbert, in case you don't remember, or haven't seen it, that is from an Eddie Murphy bit, where he imitates Richard Pryor.

No equating intended, just riffing. :wink:
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Pryor was 4 or 5 months from his high school graduation when he made his first start, Young was 16 or 17. VY had a fall camp, redshirt season, offseason, spring ball, summer, fall camp to work on his throwing motion and get ready to play. Pryor has had a fall camp. Yet he still had a better completion % than VY after their first seasons. Let the kid go through an offseason or two before you call him a bust. Christensen had at least an offseason or two so when you saw him, you knew his short comings would probably stay that way.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Killian wrote:Pryor was 4 or 5 months from his high school graduation when he made his first start, Young was 16 or 17. VY had a fall camp, redshirt season, offseason, spring ball, summer, fall camp to work on his throwing motion and get ready to play. Pryor has had a fall camp. Yet he still had a better completion % than VY after their first seasons. Let the kid go through an offseason or two before you call him a bust. Christensen had at least an offseason or two so when you saw him, you knew his short comings would probably stay that way.
VY also didn't start the season at the #1 his first year playing, IIRC. Chance Mock started the season as the #1 guy.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I believe you're right. I think VY took over after the Red River Ass Raping
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Killian wrote:I believe you're right. I think VY took over after the Red River Ass Raping
that was the last game Mock started, i believe.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

M Club wrote:you didn't see vince young play as a freshman, obviously.
Pryor as a true fresh was better than Vince as a redshirt fresh.

But then again Vince had to run for his life behind an oline coached by a moron, and a DC who made John Machovich look like a defensive genius.

Vince didn't really start to become Vince until midway through his redshirt sophomore year.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:
Qbert wrote:CRUTCHES, PROPS and RACK

Qbert, in case you don't remember, or haven't seen it, that is from an Eddie Murphy bit, where he imitates Richard Pryor.

No equating intended, just riffing. :wink:
I believe the Eddie Murphy Raw bit was Cosby called Eddie and told him to stop cussing so much and Eddie Called Richard for advice.

Richards advice, Tell Bill to have a coke and a smile and...
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Vito Corleone wrote:
M Club wrote:you didn't see vince young play as a freshman, obviously.
Pryor as a true fresh was better than Vince as a redshirt fresh.

But then again Vince had to run for his life behind an oline coached by a moron, and a DC who made John Machovich look like a defensive genius.

Vince didn't really start to become Vince until midway through his redshirt sophomore year.
dood fucking sucked. i didn't see him again till that rose bowl and was like, wtf. the next year, after usc, i revised it to, ohhh.