Hey OU fans

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Hey OU fans

Post by campinfool »

Serious question. Now the powers to be have made OU- UF the official championship game, what do you do if OU tanks in another BCS game. It is hard to deny the job Stoops has done there, but when is enough enough in terms of bowl games. Texas spent way too many bowl seasons in San Diego and Dallas and there was plenty of grumbling about Mack's head and the Coach February moniker. But at the same time he has a good bowl record. OU seems to be in the driver's seat for multiple titles but they have been laying eggs more times than not. What will be your feelings if say OU loses a close one or gets run off the field again? If he loses does that get him any heat or just glossed as Coach November?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Hey OU fans

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Bowl games are basically crapshoots. If you've got a guy that's winning conference titles and "getting there" every year, you do what you can to hang onto him.

Look at some of the former super powers (Miami, FSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, etc) that struggle just to stay ranked or even bowl eligible. You think they wouldn't trade anything for Stoops' success? It could be a looooooot worse in Norman.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

ou wins by 10+.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

fla by 21.. but ill be pulling for ou
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I'm ready to give this a rest and move on, nothing anyone can do. I hope Florida kicks their ass but I will ok if Oklahoma wins and a Texas win forces a split championship.

I'm really really really lookin forward to the RRS next year, Texas is going to tear Oklahoma a new asshole.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

One thing I'm willing to give a rest is the notion of a split national championship. Kind of a worthless footnote. Felt the same when USC was awarded one.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

To answer the question...

If Stoops goes out and shits himself (again) in this bowl, then I think that the-powers-that-be need to sit him down, in a very serious manner, and ask him what's going on with his teams. I'D love to know what's going on with his teams. He stopped recruiting the "I'm going to outwork your ass" type of player that made him successful early, he seems to have lost a degree of passion as he's gotten older, and, since Mike left, the "Big Game Bob" label isn't as accurate as calling him "Big Name Bob." But, bottom line: Teams aren't scared of Stoops on the opposite sideline anymore. There was a time where I truthfully feel like other coaches wet themselves at the sight of Stoops on the opposing sideline. Now, I feel like if they wet themselves, it's because they're giddy over seeing a hole in our already-porous defense that they'll be able to spend a whole game exploiting due to Stoops' seeming inability to make in-game adjustments to his gameplans; offensive or defensive.

So yeah, I'm tired of the season ending on the note on which it's been ending lately. Losing, while a problem, isn't my major problem. My major problem is the fact that the team simply hasn't been showing up. We haven't played well in a bowl game since beating Washington State, and, at Oklahoma, that's unacceptable, no matter WHO the coach is...

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

the_ouskull wrote:Teams aren't scared of Stoops on the opposite sideline anymore. There was a time where I truthfully feel like other coaches wet themselves at the sight of Stoops on the opposing sideline.
Hyperbole much?
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

It would impress me...

:hfal: sam... :D
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Ohio State is 1-2 against ranked teams. i'm not saying Texas Tech belongs in the BCS, but by comparison the Pirates are 3-1 against ranked teams. 1-2 against ranked teams doesn't really shout out "BCS bowl" to me on the face of it.

I would have rather seen Texas play Bama in Nawlins.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

king, the osu fans on this board are i think united in saying osu doesnt deserve a bcs bid. but since only 2 teams from a conference can TT gets left out. probably isnt right but it has happened to the b10 int he past as well..

gotta play by the rules set forth before the season started.. B12 fan should have told you out front ;)
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

peter dragon wrote:king, the osu fans on this board are i think united in saying osu doesnt deserve a bcs bid. but since only 2 teams from a conference can TT gets left out. probably isnt right but it has happened to the b10 int he past as well..

gotta play by the rules set forth before the season started.. B12 fan should have told you out front ;)
yeah, i know. i wasn't taking a shot at anyone. i was mostly thinking out loud about the vagaries of the current system and also in light of UT having a chance for a split title (were OU to beat UF)...they'd probably have a better case playing Bama in NO. I get what you guys are saying, i had mixed feelings about being in the Big XII game this year and certainly the 03 Sugar Bowl after being waxed by KSU. That didn't feel right, though having made plans to go it was fun trip and very intense to be at a BCS Championship game with it all on the line, regardless of the pants-pissing against Snyder and Sproles.

if any year there would be mid-major representation, it could have been this year with Boise and Utah....was also on my mind and the selections went another way.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Goober McTuber wrote:
the_ouskull wrote:Teams aren't scared of Stoops on the opposite sideline anymore. There was a time where I truthfully feel like other coaches wet themselves at the sight of Stoops on the opposing sideline.
Hyperbole much?
Call it what you want to. It doesn't keep it from being true.

the_ouskull
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Let me be the first to say that if OU doesn't appreciate Bob, we'll more than gladly take him back.

Sometimes coaches just have a bad run of bowl losses. Shit happens. This whole "big game coach" garbage is a load of crap. He didn't forget how to coach in big games and a few years ago the whole country pretty much claimed him as possibly the best big game coach. Sometimes your players just don't execute. We're talking about a 4 game BCS losing streak I believe. 4 games is not a big sample. If he beats Florida, Sooner fan is on here beating their meat to him and Skull is calling him the greatest coach ever.

Sports fans drive me nuts. Take Ferentz for example. A few years back a lot of non-Iowa media pundits claimed him one of the best coaches in thr country. He has a couple down years and now he can't coach. I suppose he just forgot how to coach, right??

Or what about Tressel? Everyone's calling him a horrible big game coach. Right. That's why in the last 7 years he's 6-1 vs Michigan. 3-2 in the BCS and has a national title. Yeah, his teams just always get it handed to them in big games......

Mack Brown? Pre-2004 he was the worst big game coach ever. Now he's a great one.

Stoops is a great coach and I can assure you that there's plenty of college and NFL teams that would absolutely love to see Oklahoma fire the guy if he lost to Florida. He'd have a job lined up at a major program before he could even give his team a postgame speech.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

there's no real heat on Stoops even if OU loses to UF 50-0, imo. pissed off Okies, but no one is really thinking he should be out. OU fans are irrational and have a weird tendency towards unjustified over-confidence...but, most OU fans are used to success enough to know that at the highest levels you are playing some damn good football teams and sometimes you lose those games.

the Boise game was disappointing since it was (considered within the game itself) a heart-breaker to lose on the trick plays in OT after making a great comeback....but, that OU team was, minus KSU in 03, probably the weakest Big XII Champion since Colorado in 01 (sorry Mike) that was young across the LOS and had a WR playing QB. They had done it with smoke, the blitz, and mirrors on D (a month to prepare for Peterson and a SR QB in Zabransky saw our packages coming a mile away), a predictable run game (after Peterson got hurt), and some tight W's against Tech in Norman and at ATM. Even the game at Missouri could have gone the other way if MU didn't self-destruct and could play a lick of run D (you put Adrian Peterson in Allen Patrick's body that day and AD would have had 5-6 70+ yard TD runs given how many times Patrick burst into the LB zone but didn't have the jets to make the last guy miss). They could have lost any of those games. NU turns it over on the first play of the conference championship game, and gives up a 99 yard drive after clearly gaining big mo. if UT stays healthy, they are the best team in the conference.

The Boise game was a heartbreaker as a fan and the ascribed national significance in the media (David beats Goliath) was painful but that was a young OU team...hardly the vintage powerhouse that the story led itself to. Personally, i was not all that surprised to see Boise win....in addition to that team just being flat out snake-bit considering the whole season after the Oregon debacle.

the WVU loss, no one likes to get run out of the gym on national TV but it was a consolation bowl and WVU had a lot to play for...and that OU team had some psychological frailty that led to let-downs and being flat or going brain-dead at times....@ISU, the second half at CU.

i'm not too wigged by those losses. now, getting buttfucked in the mouth twice by USC in 05 was a different story. they flat out quit. THAT, i don't want to see again.
"
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Exactly, and I feel like they quit against WVU as well. THAT is solely on the coaches. I'd rather put sh*tty players in there that play hard than (allegedly) "great" players that don't give a f*ck and quit when the going gets tough.

As for the "he didn't forget how to coach" crap. Perhaps not... but, if you've been around long enough, teams will adapt to your game plan; your ways of thinking and how you react to different situations. If you don't counter-adjust, then you will get beaten over and over again by teams that match up at least moderately well in terms of talent. I think that is what we're seeing in OU's recent string of bowl flops. Stoops may not have "forgotten how to coach," but he's got some work to do to prove that he hasn't forgotten how to win when it matters.

the_ouskull
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Speaking of OU.....

I would like to know why it is that when OU goes out and gets blasted in the championship game or a BCS Bowl pundits claim "Stoops can't win a big game" and only OU takes the heat. When Ohio State does it, the Big-10 as a conference sucks and is slow. Someone explain that to me.....

I checked a link of NFL Draft Combine 40 times from this past year and I'm not seeing any difference in 40 times between Big-12 prospects and Big-10 prospects. If I wasn't half awake, I'd go find the link to it but maybe someone else can do it.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

TheJON wrote:Speaking of OU.....

I would like to know why it is that when OU goes out and gets blasted in the championship game or a BCS Bowl pundits claim "Stoops can't win a big game" and only OU takes the heat. When Ohio State does it, the Big-10 as a conference sucks and is slow. Someone explain that to me.....
i can't speak to the "slow" part about the Big 10 but checking the NFL for speed isn't probably the best measure. since everyone, regardless of conference, has speed in the NFL. It would be like judging team speed for local high school depth charts by looking at the 2-3 guys who play D-1 ball and the times they run in college. methodologically speaking, not an accurate criterion.

as for the conference thing, i'd guess part of it is UT won the NC in 05, and OU in 00 (to "balance" OU's losses in 03, 04)....while Ohio State has been the only Big 10 team to represent (and win) and the recent years having lost big twice. True or not, it gives the appearance of more competition at the top of the league. tOSU as a lone rep, being blasted as you say, makes the conference's best appear to be lacking and therefore down the line.

So, while Stoops "can't win a big game" (though, i'd argue that beating OSU in Stillwater, Tech, and winning the last 3 Big XII Championships are all "bigger games" than the Fiesta Bowl against WVU in which there is nothing to play for except being ranked 3rd or 8th in the final standings)...he takes the heat since UT has also represented for the conference.
"
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

If you're at a school that TRULY wants to win, then they're all "big games" when you lose them. But, to me, it was more about the fact that the team didn't even show up.

the_ouskull