Ike in Game

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Ike in Game

Post by War Wagon »

Left Seater wrote:Still no power and now we are being asked not to flush the toilet.
That stinks.

Sue me, somebody had to do it. :oops:

I'll be here all week.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I just wanted to send a big fuck you out to the media for blowing the FEMA/POD miscommunication with city and county officials out of proportion last night on the late press conference. On one hand, they are sharing touching stories about neighbors reaching out and helping each other in a time of need and on the other hand they are fucking crucifying the mayor, county judge, and FEMA for a 3 hour delay in getting the PODs setup. Fuck'em.

I also want to let you all know that I am going to make it a personal mission in my life to hunt down Wayne Dolcefino of KTRK and kill that mother fucker. Here we are in a natural disaster where resources are stretched thin and he is on the news last night bitching about the officials not letting the media into the Bolivar Peninsula are of Galveston Island because of ongoing search and rescue missions on that part of the island. Then, he adds on top of his rant that the media's denied access was probably because of what happened during Katrina when the the government was embarrassed by the footage being shown. Fuck him too.

I've seen first hand why the media is a fucking poison during times like these. I am sick of it.

:melt:
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I just wanted to send a big fuck you out to the media for blowing the FEMA/POD miscommunication with city and county officials out of proportion last night on the late press conference. On one hand, they are sharing touching stories about neighbors reaching out and helping each other in a time of need and on the other hand they are fucking crucifying the mayor, county judge, and FEMA for a 3 hour delay in getting the PODs setup. Fuck'em.

I also want to let you all know that I am going to make it a personal mission in my life to hunt down Wayne Dolcefino of KTRK and kill that mother fucker. Here we are in a natural disaster where resources are stretched thin and he is on the news last night bitching about the officials not letting the media into the Bolivar Peninsula are of Galveston Island because of ongoing search and rescue missions on that part of the island. Then, he adds on top of his rant that the media's denied access was probably because of what happened during Katrina when the the government was embarrassed by the footage being shown. Fuck him too.

I've seen first hand why the media is a fucking poison during times like these. I am sick of it.

:melt:
That'll RACK

Just please......Guantanamo that idiot Dolcefino before you relieve him of his breath.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

rozy wrote: That'll RACK
Well, if you say so... you're closer to the situation. But it's not good form to threaten to kill somebody on a message board, even though I may have done that myself at one time or another.

Godspeed, Houston.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

I hadn't dropped a rack in a while, figgered you would be watching, and didn't want to disappoint you.

Surely you're not questioning hyperbole on THIS website?
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

rozy wrote:
That'll RACK

Just please......Guantanamo that idiot Dolcefino before you relieve him of his breath.

I miss Marvin...

poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Power was out in our neighborhood from 10:30 pm Sunday to 5am Tuesday. Tons of big trees down in western PA.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:Still no power and now we are being asked not to flush the toilet. Since the treatment plant doesn't have power, nor do the lift stations to move the waste to the treatment plant, things are getting nasty.

This just keeps getting better...

Uhhhhm...

In the parts of the country where interfamily marriages are illegal, when we build wastewater plants and lifts...

Uhm... this is going to be crazy to you, but...

We think about power outages when we build the things. We have these things here in Civilization known as "backup generators." And just about every one I've worked on (which is quite a few) has a dual-fuel backup.

Because to people who marry outside of their family, having any interruption in wastewater (or muni water) service is unacceptable...

but it looks good on you, though.

Shaking my head in amazement over here.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The state of the power grid...not so good. No one wants to talk about that or recognize it. It's really more threatening to us than any terror cabal is at the moment...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Dins,

I'm not an expert as to why our businesses are not running on generators right now. It is puzzling why some businesses are still closed, but it could be for a myriad of reasons other than power. I don't know. I do know that most of the chemical plants are back up and running with the exception of the plants that are currently underwater from the surge.

As for running line underground to avoid catastrophes such as a hurricane, well its not that simple. We have a high water table under us which makes it difficult to bury and run line an certain areas of the city. Also, we have this stuff called clay...maybe you've heard of it. That shit is not the easiest stuff to work with when burying and running line. In fact, it's fucking very difficult to work with because its fucking clay.
TIGRDOG
Jake

Post by TIGRDOG »

this thread interesting read...glad you houston peeps made out ok fairly well

this is REBDOG in new orleans.....now TIGRDOG...good to see lot of you folks

lot of you basturds got pools dammit...jeolous

RIK
DRILL HERE.. DRILL NOW.. VAS TIER ------ REBDOG
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Good to see you, Reb. What part of the Big Sleazy do you live in?
TIGRDOG
Jake

Post by TIGRDOG »

actually 'berbs on north shore of lake ponchrtrain.....slidell...20 miles from Bourbon st.....ike gake me hell storm serge scare as i'm right on the water..but I leave no storms..including katrina...like to watch weather
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

TIGRDOG wrote:actually 'berbs on north shore of lake ponchrtrain.....slidell...20 miles from Bourbon st.....ike gake me hell storm serge scare as i'm right on the water..but I leave no storms..including katrina...like to watch weather
Stop back when you have time to put that into English. Jesus Christ.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Dins,

Everything has to be spelled out exactly for you I guess.

Treatment plant has generator power, but that doesn't allow it to operate at 100% capacity. The lift stations also have back up generators, but keeping them supplied with fuel has been the biggest challenge. Finally, three of the lift stations were damaged and need repairs before they can operate. Vac trucks are picking up the slack right now.

Still no power at the house.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

No power here either. I was actually reading 19th century western literature last night by candlelight.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Still no power for you guys? The cool weather has to be a minor consolation in this. At least it isn't 95 degrees.

Hope you have the power restored very soon.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Oh yeah. I feel very blessed with the cool weather coming at the most opportune time. I have a feeling had it not been for the pleasant weather over the last 3 days, then this city would be ripping itself apart. We're very lucky.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:Dins,

Everything has to be spelled out exactly for you I guess.

Classic.

As I alluded to...

I've worked on wastewater sytems, bud. 'Round these parts, there's very rarely a problem. There were few problems in last winter's big storm... which was larger than your Ike thingy-btw*. We just don't build in such stupid places where a big storm is going to cause that much misery.

* - Sorry to burst your "Everything is bigger and better in Texas" mantra. Although I won't dispute that claim in regards to dumbasses.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Right. :meds:

Yeah, we shouldn't live anywhere along the coast where hurricanes might hit. Hell, might as well not live anywhere where natural disasters might strike. That puts pretty much the whole country out as a suitable location. Further, until you stop using all gas and oil you have no room to talk. You want these workers to commute hundreds of miles daily since you don't think the Gulf Coast is a good place for anyone to live.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The obvious solution is for everyone living along the Gulf coast to move to the Portland area.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Left Seater wrote:Right. :meds:

Yeah, we shouldn't live anywhere along the coast where hurricanes might hit. Hell, might as well not live anywhere where natural disasters might strike. That puts pretty much the whole country out as a suitable location. Further, until you stop using all gas and oil you have no room to talk. You want these workers to commute hundreds of miles daily since you don't think the Gulf Coast is a good place for anyone to live.
Living in the general vicinity of the coast is all well and good. Living in places like Galveston Island and the Bolivar Peninsula without benefit of a proper seawall is straight up retarded.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Sudden Sam wrote:We sorta look at folks who have to drive on ice and deal with six feet of snow as retarded.

Sin,

Us "dumbasses" who choose to live south of the Mason-Dixon Line
Driving on ice is fairly simple. All you have to do is slow down. And the next time I have to deal with 6 feet of snow will be never.

All in all, living in the snow belt is a hell of a lot smarter than putting your home in the path of a 15 foot high wall of water every 20-30 years.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
TIGRDOG
Jake

Post by TIGRDOG »

fuk 'cains..they don't effect me...well much....
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The Poof strikes again.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

pssst, guys, farbeit from me to ever defend m2, but one of you want to point out where, in any of what jsc wrote or linked to, it shows storm surge got into the city of Houston? I am fallible so maybe I missed it..

Now if you are saying that salt water from the gulf turned to vapor, joined into Ike and then rained at I-45 and Telephone Rd. then I am sure noone would argue that. I seem to remember m2 typing "storm surge".

I'll give you some help, btw. There is not one inch of the city of Houston that resides within Chambers or Jefferson, to my knowledge.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

rozy wrote:pssst, guys, farbeit from me to ever defend m2, but one of you want to point out where, in any of what jsc wrote or linked to, it shows storm surge got into the city of Houston? I am fallible so maybe I missed it..

Now if you are saying that salt water from the gulf turned to vapor, joined into Ike and then rained at I-45 and Telephone Rd. then I am sure noone would argue that. I seem to remember m2 typing "storm surge".

I'll give you some help, btw. There is not one inch of the city of Houston that resides within Chambers or Jefferson, to my knowledge.

Jsc, is an idiot.

I guess it just needs repeating.

Maybe, just maybe you'd think the coon ass lawyer would have realized that Houston resides in "Harris County" before he made a coon "ass" of himself again.

I actually feel for his clients.... knowing they're getting such stellar "legal" counsel.

2.34...bit as usual.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Jsc810 wrote:Maybe m2tool is slightly smarter than I give him credit for. After all, he didn't take the bet, which he would have lost.

Nope.

That would have been my money.

I knew I was going to win.... but, I didn't want the guilt of Jsc810 having to explain to his daughter why "daddy" is an idiot and she wasn't going to have any Christmas presents this year.

Just tell her, that "Christmas" this year was courtesy of....

the truth
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

.m2 wrote:Maybe, just maybe you'd think the coon ass lawyer would have realized that Houston resides in "Harris County" before he made a coon "ass" of himself again.
So there was no flooding in Harris County due to the 'cane? Do tell.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

The flooding was due to rain.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

mtool on page 2ool of this thread wrote:I'll be back tomorrow when the storm surge had no effect on the city of Houston.
Magellan Midstream Partners Conducts Initial Assessment of Hurricane Ike Damage

TULSA, Okla., Sept. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Magellan Midstream Partners, L.P. (NYSE: MMP), the owner and operator of the nation's longest refined petroleum products pipeline system and 82 petroleum distribution terminals, today announced that it is currently assessing damage to its Gulf Coast assets from Hurricane Ike.

Its Gulf Coast marine terminals in Marrero, Louisiana and Corpus Christi, Texas are operational. Magellan's Galena Park, Texas terminal located in the Houston Ship Channel has experienced flooding due to the storm surge, and the company is currently in the process of lowering these water levels.
The Houston Ship Channel in Houston, Texas is part of the Port of Houston one of the United States's busiest sea ports.
The original Port of Houston was located at the confluence of Buffalo Bayou and White Oak Bayou in downtown Houston by the University of Houston–Downtown. This area is called "Allen's Landing" and is now a park. It is the birthplace of the City of Houston.

The citizens of Harris County, Texas approved creation of the modern Port in 1909.
So the Houston Ship channel is in Houston and it is what? - about 15 miles from downtown? and the Galena Park terminal is what? 8 miles from downtown?

And THAT's not considered part of Houston?

So who stole Rozys password*, and why is that idiot mtool still here?

* I know no one did.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

poptart wrote:The flooding was due to rain.
Jsc's bet was whether or not there would be salt water found in Houston.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Mister Bushice wrote:
Its Gulf Coast marine terminals in Marrero, Louisiana and Corpus Christi, Texas are operational. Magellan's Galena Park, Texas terminal located in the Houston Ship Channel has experienced flooding due to the storm surge

There's a reason you live in the "central valley"....

.... you're as dumb as shit.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2Hl ... wD936FIL80
Storm surge is basically water that is gradually pushed onto shore by the force of the winds circulating in a hurricane. It's similar to a bathtub filling with water while being violently stirred, then overflowing.

Typically, the stronger and bigger a storm and the shallower the coastal slope — as is the case with Texas and Louisiana — the bigger the surge will be. But nothing is certain in nature.

"The storm itself changed a little bit. I think it tightened up more, and more of the energy went into the center," stealing some of the punch from the predicted surge, said Wilson Shaffer, chief of the National Weather Service's evaluation division.

McGee also defended the surge estimates as a good call, given how little is known about such massive storms.

"If word went out that this wasn't going to be anything to worry about, and the hurricane changed its nature and strength and it did produce a more significant surge, it would have been a much worse scenario," he said.

No matter how big a surge Ike produced, researchers are still having a hard time comparing it to any other on record, mainly because of its size.

"I don't recall anything similar to this one," Shaffer said.

Ike roared ashore early Saturday at Galveston as a strong Category 2 with 110 mph winds. The only storm researchers can even remotely compare Ike to is 1961's Hurricane Carla, which struck the Texas coast as a Category 4, south of Galveston near Port Lavaca. It had 145 mph winds, producing a Texas record 22-foot storm surge.

Carla remains one of the most powerful storms ever to strike the United States, leaving 34 people dead and causing more than $300 million in damage.

Forecasters had predicted Ike would surpass Carla's storm surge, its behemoth size making up in part for its lack of intensity. Computer models called for possibly up to 25 feet of water, a catastrophic scenario.

However, the maximum surge topped out at about 15 feet at Port Arthur, Texas. In Galveston, storm surge was about 11 feet, adding to the waves already kicked up by the storm and crashing over the city's 17-foot sea wall. A surge of about five feet was recorded at Houston.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

According to m2ool, Houston is really the size of Cooperstown.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Sudden Sam wrote:We sorta look at folks who have to drive on ice and deal with six feet of snow as retarded.
We sorta look at folks who live in disgustingly hot temperatures with very little seasonal change as retarded.

By the way, you've been watching too much Discovery channel. This isn't Antarctica. We deal with inches of snow, not feet. A couple feet of snow is possible, but rare. And the next time a few inches of snow and ice destroys my house like a scud missile attack will be the first.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Btw, power was restored at my domicile last night arounf 8pm CST. I am very fucking lucky too. I must be the last house on the north of the grid, because as of this morning, all of the neighbors to the north of me are still without power. Including my next door neighbor. That just sucks.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mister Bushice wrote:I know no one did.

Don't be so sure.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So when we get back from the RICE game there was power. One week and 15 hours is a long time to go without power. Rack the guys from CO who worked the local grid to get it back up.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Still quite a bit of outages here on the northeast side. We've heard as early as tonight and as late as Thursday when power will be restored to most of the area. The community of Summerwood which is 5 miles south of us is said to not have power restored until the second week of October. Holy shit.

I guess Ike is a bit of a blessing in disguise as all the tree damage and brush has created a cash cow for me and a couple of friends. We drove around a few neighborhoods this weekend and were able to undercut the out-of-state tree service contractors by hundreds of dollars for services. An Ohio tree company wanted to charge a nearby resident $1500 to cut and remove a huge oak that fell down in his backyard. We charged him $650 to cut it down all the way to uprooted stump and haul it to his front yard for pickup. Now, he can keep whatever he wants for firewood and the county will remove and burn the brush for him. The only thing left is the stump to remove which will cost him about $200-$300 for a contractor to take a Bobcat back there and remove it. He still saves $600 on the deal.

Overall, it was a lucrative weekend for us as our three-man crew cleared a little over 2 grand for our services.

The real money will be made next weekend when we assemble a four-man crew for brush removal. There are huge piles of tree limbs, branches, and logs just sitting in peoples front yards that are not expected to be moved by the county or city for weeks, maybe months. We've got two huge fifth-wheel trailors and about 10 acres of property to burn on and cut wood to sell back as firewood. Two guys, who are teachers and not due back at work until Thursday, are out setting appointments all week for our services. Could be big. Lots of money to be made out there if you have the resouces.

Don't ya just love and hate a hurricane?