Just pickup up a new ride.

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

KC Scott

Re: Just pickup up a new ride.

Post by KC Scott »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
Don't get me wrong, Tundras are really nice trucks and have great power and better interior options, but I wouldn't trust it to turn over 200,000+ miles without having to get something major repaired on it.
Zero applicability to me - I never keep a vehicle over 100-120K max
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

RJ wrote:Scotts unfortunate offspring getting his head kicked through his ass in the Octagon.
Yea, he lost his first one, but won the next two by submission. He still doesn't defend punches worth a shit but his BJJ has gotten pretty to the point where he can win on the ground.

But I've told him not to quit his day job
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

Derron wrote:
RJ wrote:they had plush leather couches to crash on if you were so inclined, and a Starbucks like coffee/snack station where you could order a faggy ass latte or whatever the hell you wanted for no extra cost if you were getting your car serviced. When I went to pick it up, they had detailed it for no extra cost as well.

That alone showed me why some people would choose to go that route instead of deal with companies like Ford or GM, whose service departments have no fucking concept of treating a customer that well.
No extra cost...like the free carpet pad,or the free upgrade, you pay for it all...

But your next comment is spot on...since I don't buy new cars, but good used cars and take them to independent shops for work. The local service manager told me that they want $ 1,000 from every car that comes through the door, even for an oil change. Find something that needs fixed, and get at least $ 1,000 for it.

Ford service Departments ( highest margin at the dealership) are a bunch of arrogant faggots that can't fix shit. My independent shop had to take my 2003 F 350 Powerstroke in to the dealer to get the ECM reflashed. That fix went 22 fucking miles and the engine quit in the middle of the road.

Now they both can't figure out what happened, the independent already had done $ 1,800 of "repair" to it, sent it over to Ford and now neither one can get it to run correctly. Ford keeps telling me it is something else they need to fix and it will cost me X $$$. Fuck that...you guys fucked it up, you fix it.

The Ford dealer in Medford is also the Mercedes dealer there. I had a work truck in for repair work there and got to talking to the Mercedes mechanic. Dude was as American as you and me, but he checked his computer and found a car that was due for service. He dimes the old gal up, cops a German accent with here, tells here here car is due for service, and he will be around with a loaner, and brings her car in. Oil change and something else, less than 3 hours in the shop, and he delivers the old gals car back to her and gets $ 795.00 She perceived that to be a good value. And since he probably billed about 16 hours that day, he made major bank also.

Ford and Chevy don't sell cars anymore, so they have to try and make it up in the shop. But they don't t have a fucking clue how to do that.
Fucking sucks to hear about your truck shitting the bed like that.....

As far as dealership experience goes, it all depends on who owns said Ford/Mercedes dealership (huh? never heard of that-Ford Lincoln Mercury Jaguar (until recently) yes, but not Mercedes lumped in that bunch as far a dealership goes.) The one my brother was a tech for was excellent in all the years he was there right up till the day he left. The service manager was one of the most honest, fair and forthright guys you could ever meet or hope to work for. He dialed my brother and his wife in constantly with perks like massive suites in Vegas for the weekends or gas cards, ect. He was also cool with my bro performing work on my car on the lifts (headers, exhaust, cams, ect) and let my bro not only work on my other brother's '69 GTO and Chevelle, he encouraged my brother to park and restore his own '68 Camaro (He did-but only for the engine build and drop in)......which included custom building the sweet ass 396 that made its way into the beast.

Never once did I ever suspect him of trying to get over on a customer....in fact, there were a quite a few instances where he nocharged folks for a diagnosis and gave them an alternative shop to get thier car fixed if they couldnt afford it there (mainly older folks). It really does depend on who owns and is the Manager at your local dealerships. Most are fucking crooks, but there are a few good ol' gearheads out there that are honest and understanding.
RJ
Elwood

Post by RJ »

KC Scott wrote:
RJ wrote:Scotts unfortunate offspring getting his head kicked through his ass in the Octagon.
Yea, he lost his first one, but won the next two by submission. He still doesn't defend punches worth a shit but his BJJ has gotten pretty to the point where he can win on the ground.

But I've told him not to quit his day job
Some are naturals who seem to have it come easily to them.....some arent. I've seen both camps succeed and fail over the years (including 2 family members)-it just all depends on how much of your time you're willing to sacrifice toward such an endeavor. The truth is that most youngins would rather party and chase skirt than put that kind of time and effort into it.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

RJ wrote::
Paul and Scott: Those cars are fucking hideous, but I understand why people still buy them to track-becuase they're very, very cheap to turn into 10 second hellions
In my case I turned those into 24 second hellions - They were a 4 cyl class I raced the the 1/2 mile track east of town. I think 23.8 was my best. I think I had about 3K in the first car and around $4500 in the second - that was back in 92/93 but it was alot cheaper than building modifieds, late models or sprints.

They were a blast to race - I caught fire in the green one the first time my future wife to be came out to watch me race. I hit a wall once when i had a blowout going into turn two once. That fucking hurt. it was stiffest I've ever been for about a week. Won a couple, races, but spent more time working on them than anything. The reason I got out of it was the time needed just wasn't there when my job started taking off.

If Wags reads this - JB Ashcraft was pitted next to me in that pic.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote: If Wags reads this - JB Ashcraft was pitted next to me in that pic.
I read it... and haven't heard that name in awhile. I wonder what the pride of Holt, Missouri is up to these days?

Probably moved to Kearney.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote:
Dude, the last person, and I do mean the last person on this board who should ever run personnal appearance smack is Mr. beanpole:

Royals home opener 2001 and brother Truman by my side. I hope he doesn't mind you posting his likeness w/o permission.

That is one svelte, broad shouldered mofo, no? Never saw that pic until now, but RACK it. You were holding out on me.

Musta' stuck a nerve with the "short" samck, eh?

Scotty, there are many ways of being short that don't include stature, if you know what I mean. I'll leave it at that.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Btw, go ahead and post the more famous one and let's see how you measure up.

That's fair enough, is it not?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I don't tuck in my shirt these days as my beer gut has grown exponentially these past 7 years.

Really, I have no idea why I tucked it in then either. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time, I guess.

Thanks for the belated fashion advice.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

The next obvious question...

Have you bought a new pair of glasses that were at least fashionable within the last 40 years?

Besides, seeing is the most important thing!

Sin,

Last edited by Rack Fu on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Fashion advice from Wet-Brained Fucktard....now THAT'S rich. :doh:
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

In addition to the extended bumper to bumper warranty, I think I am gonna squash the interior/exterior treatment as well.

Hyundai pimp shouldn't have gone on about how awesome hyundai's paint is.

Finance chick is gonna hate me even more of MY MONEY out of her purse.

Oh well. She'll get over it. Prolly with the help of a double whopper, judging by the size of her.

Mikey, If you had it to do again, would you have gone with the treatment?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:In addition to the extended bumper to bumper warranty, I think I am gonna squash the interior/exterior treatment as well.

Hyundai pimp shouldn't have gone on about how awesome hyundai's paint is.

Finance chick is gonna hate me even more of MY MONEY out of her purse.

Oh well. She'll get over it. Prolly with the help of a double whopper, judging by the size of her.

Mikey, If you had it to do again, would you have gone with the treatment?
I didn't do any treatment, but maybe I should have. The OL's grandson puked in the back seat when it was about a couple of weeks old. I'm still happy I got the extended warranty, though, and here's the reason. I put a lot of miles on the car. I've had it now for about 22 months and turned 40,000 miles on it about a week ago. At this rate I'll have 100,000 miles on it before 5 years is up. I figure that it's more likely to break between 60K and 100K than between 0 and 60K. One major repair and the warranty pays for itself. If it doesn't, it doesn't. To me it's insurance. And at $0.59 a mile for the majority of my driving, the warranty was paid for long ago, even while paying $4.00/gallon for gas.

Seems like I paid a lot less for it than you did too...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yeah, sam, that's pretty much what I have concluded after doing a few minutes of research on the interwebs.

I fell for this thing because they kept going back to the we'll replace it if it can't be cleaned line.

The more I thought about that, the more I realized that that might mean I would have to pay for professional cleaning and if I didn't they would say "fukk off, you could have it cleaned". Worst case is, if there is some horrible stain, I could replace the seat with a boneyard one for less than they are charging.

As for the exterior, it is not a 96 grape colored neon. I haven't noticed any hyundais in the last 10 years peeling like those things did. Besides, the OL will inevitably whack something with it by then, in which case it will need repainting anyway.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:.....I put a lot of miles on the car. I've had it now for about 22 months and turned 40,000 miles on it about a week ago. At this rate I'll have 100,000 miles on it before 5 years is up....
Why do you hate us?

SIn,

The polar bears that are choking on your CO2 emissions.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:
Mikey wrote:.....I put a lot of miles on the car. I've had it now for about 22 months and turned 40,000 miles on it about a week ago. At this rate I'll have 100,000 miles on it before 5 years is up....
Why do you hate us?

SIn,

The polar bears that are choking on your CO2 emissions.
LOL. It's part of the job and, unfortunately, they don't have any public transportation between Fallbrook and Ridgecrest, Tehachapi, or Topanga.

Kind of ironic that I burn all that fossil fuel going out to inspect solar PV systems, eh?