UFC 81

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

DoggFather
Crack Whore

UFC 81

Post by DoggFather »

I'm not a big Sylvia fan, especially when he is in a 5-rounder, so I'm hoping Minotauro submits him early. For all the hype he is getting, I'm curious to see what Brock Lesnar can do against Mir. I think everyone knows Lesnar will be looking for the takedown. I'm predicting Mir tries to catch him with a guillotine, and if that doesn't work he'll stand up with Lesnar and win the decision.

What do you guys think?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: UFC 81

Post by Dinsdale »

Big Frank Mir fan.

But I'm sure the word "rusty" will come into play. Dude hasn't exactly been a regular in the cage in the last few years.

And I will never not laugh when someone loses to a guillotine. Unless you really screw the pooch and shove your head into it, it's very easy to defend, yet some of these "professionals" don't seem too interested in defending it. Ponderous.

Mir is so much more well-rounded than a wrassler, I just don't see him winning... but that's why they follow through and have the fights, rather than calling me up Saturday morning and asking me for the outcomes.

Sylvia sucks, but has the ability to end a fight with one swing should his opponent give him the opening... his extremely heavy-hands are his great equalizer. Maybe his Pat Mylittlebitch teammates have taught him how to pass a drug test by now. Dude definitely has a "punchers chance" any time he steps in there. No prediction on this one, since I haven't seen enough of Minotauro to know how he stacks up.

Probably have to catch it all on replay anyway.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Yep, I'm gonna wait til it hits the net for free at ufc-forums.com . Not a very appealing card. I'm not into the Lesnar hype and would love to see an in shape Mir. Just listening to him on WEC and his insight of what a fighter is trying to set up and in happens a short time later gets me in his corner.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cueball wrote:Just listening to him on WEC and his insight of what a fighter is trying to set up and in happens a short time later gets me in his corner.

Always warms my :heart: when Mir constantly slips up and uses the Japanese names for moves/positions (from being raised in a karate family ) and always catches himself and immediately translates it to English.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

As opposed to Rogain's "that's crazy" :lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Make the broadcast more exciting -- everyone presnt has to slam a full beer every time Rogain says "sick juijitsu."
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

http://www.channelsurfing.net/#

for UFC 81

last time feed was average, it's usually a ton better.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Nog beats Sylvia with a submission in the third round as Tim bores us for the first two.

Lesnar vs Mir is an intriguing fight. Normally, a newcomer versus a former champ with "sick jiu-jitsu" is a recipe for disaster for the newcomer. I don't think it'll be the case here. Mir's only chance is to catch Lesnar in a submission early in the first round before they both get real sweaty. Strength (especially Lesnar strength) can be the great equalizer against a jiu-jitsu guy. Lesnar is ungodly strong and certainly has the power to bull his way out of a submission attempt. Mir is no small guy himself but no one has ever stepped into the octagon that has Lesnar's brute power. It could end quickly if Lesnar is clueless with his ground defense and Mir catches him early with a tight, textbook submission. Mir's problem has always been conditioning, even before the accident and even worse since. He will not be in better shape than Lesnar and will completely gas with a guy of Lesnar's size and strength hanging on him for a couple of rounds. Mir's standup is not even average. The longer this fight lasts, the easier it'll get for Lesnar. He just needs to survive the first round. It'll be either a very quick win for Mir or he's going to be beaten to a pulp.

Normally, I'd take BJJ over strength but Lesnar is freakishly strong so normal thoughts might have to be thrown out the window.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

I damn sure hope Mir gets another crack at the title
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Cueball wrote:I damn sure hope Mir gets another crack at the title
Arlovski should in all fairness get the next title shot against Noguiera (I called my shot there). Contract issues with Arlovski will probably not allow that but he's the most deserving right now.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I predicted Mir by leg submission month's ago when they announced this fight. The UFC should have matched up Lesnar with another wrestler/brawler, maybe Heath Herring. I didn't order the ppv.

I also think anyone with decent leglocks could beat Tim Sylvia fairly easily without having to trade punches with him.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uncle Fester wrote:I also think anyone with decent leglocks could beat Tim Sylvia fairly easily without having to trade punches with him.

Which speaks to some pretty poor training.

In all of the time I ever spent on the mat, I'm pretty sure you could count the number of times I've lost to a leg lock on one hand.

Shouldn't EVER happen. Of course, I'd lose to 100 leg locks before I'd lose to rear naked choke (and if I hear a MMA announcer call it that one more time, I'm going to scream again... no one in any MMA event is wearing a freaking jacket, so shut up with the "naked" shit).