Bob Davie cockslaps the Pac 10

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Bob Davie cockslaps the Pac 10

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

during the PSU/Michigan game.

"Look at this atmosphere and these uniforms. We were at the Cal-Oregon game last week and that was like a softball game. This is tradition."

Not doing much to help dispel the east coast bias thing, but funny nonetheless.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Why, was anybody actually watching that game?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Can anybody in good conscience actually find any reason to disagree with him though?

Michigan-PSU in a filled to the rafters Beaver Stadium is a beautiful sight, and a proper sight.

That Cal-Oregon game did look like a (ghetto) softball game.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Re: Bob Davie cockslaps the Pac 10

Post by Killian »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:during the PSU/Michigan game.

"Look at this atmosphere and these uniforms. We were at the Cal-Oregon game last week and that was like a softball game. This is tradition."

Not doing much to help dispel the east coast bias thing, but funny nonetheless.
There isn't enough broken glass in the world to shove tan in a can's face. Fuck him.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Actually, that kind of fan involvement at the Beav is a new tradition of sorts. PSU's new sports info director is Guido D'Elia...who has really been able to infuse the program with fan involvement that hasn't been seen since the early 80s. He's a Pittsburgh guy who was involved with the "We are Family" stuff in the Pirate glory years.

At any rate, PSU can stage an amazing night game these days. A college football game without enthusiastic fan involvement is like a Sofia Loren lovedoll that has undergone a double mastectomy. You go in all gristled up, but you are left with a feeling that it could have been so much more...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

And what happened to Bob Davie when he took his Notre Dame tradition against the Pac-10?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That's none other than Chad Johnson lighting up ND-btw.

Not pictured: TJ Who'syourmama
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian

Post by Killian »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:And what happened to Bob Davie when he took his Notre Dame tradition against the Pac-10?
He was one game above .500.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Killian wrote:
Q, West Coast Style wrote:And what happened to Bob Davie when he took his Notre Dame tradition against the Pac-10?
So he had NOTRE DAME playing about .500 ball in the Pac-10 (A Pre-Pete Carroll Pac-10).
Killian

Post by Killian »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:
Killian wrote:
So he had NOTRE DAME playing about .500 ball in the Pac-10 (A Pre-Pete Carroll Pac-10).
He had ND playing about .500 in every facit in which he coached. I don't have the numbers, but I bet he was below .500 against Big-10 opponets.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

It wasnt that he was running smack on the Pac 10, just 2 schools void of tradition like Oregon and feCal.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

I guess the botton line is that if Bob Davie knew what he was talking about he'd be on the sideline and not in the booth.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm not a Bob Davie fan by any stretch. I just thought the comment was funny on a few different levels.

The Mich/PSU traditions are pretty evident. The fact he had to emphasize this by taking a shot at a couple of Pac Ten schools was pretty out of line...one of the reasons it was funny.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

maybe a domer fan can answer this for me but did ND stop spraying the real gold on to their helmets before the season starts? I seem to remember ND helmets looking pretty gauged by this time of the season because the real gold covering the helmet was soft. Wouldnt that be a break from tradition?

And speaking of Penn State.... when the fuck did Kernkraft 400 become "traditional"? you mean to tell me that since forever they have hyped up fans at Beaver Stadium by blaring early 90's German Techno music in to the seats? That must be one of those ancient traditions that have been around since leather helmets, kind of like House of Pain at Wisconsin games
Killian

Post by Killian »

SoCalTrjn wrote:maybe a domer fan can answer this for me but did ND stop spraying the real gold on to their helmets before the season starts? I seem to remember ND helmets looking pretty gauged by this time of the season because the real gold covering the helmet was soft. Wouldnt that be a break from tradition?
They repaint the helmets every week. And the paint still has real gold in it.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Since the Oregon-Cal game was still fresh in the minds of everybody involved I don't think it was too out of line for Davie to use them in his comparison.

PSU-Michigan looked awesome. Cal-Oregon looked like a skit from In Living Color...

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I actually kinda dig the Autzen atmosphere (based only on what I've seen on TV of course). I like the grass on that field too.

It's the only Pac 10 atmosphere that appears to have some "character," for whatever that's worth.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Autzen's bitchin', yep. The crowd's great, the field's great, the whole atmosphere there is great. Probably the best the Pac 10 has to offer.

Memorial Stadium in Berkeley though, not so much.

Cal, in those stupid new unis, and Oregon in their stupid unis, playing in Memorial Stadium, not in Autzen? Davie was spot on.

Coupla other spots in the Pac 10 that have some character...

-Seattle: When Washington's good, that place is a tough place to play and the scenery in and around the stadium is awesome.

-Arizona: When Arizona used to be good ("Desert Swarm" era) that place was a true madhouse.

-The Coliseum, at night: USC's home field fans will never be confused with LSU's, A&M's, Auburn's or Nebraska's but when the Coliseum is filled and it's under the lights and any sort of fog is drifting in that grand ol' cavernous dame of a stadium (especially the closed end) looks like something straight out of a gladiator movie. It's pretty fuggen badass. The Song Girls and the band and the Trojan on the galloping white horse are all nice "character" touches as well.
Last edited by Van on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Killian wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:maybe a domer fan can answer this for me but did ND stop spraying the real gold on to their helmets before the season starts? I seem to remember ND helmets looking pretty gauged by this time of the season because the real gold covering the helmet was soft. Wouldnt that be a break from tradition?
They repaint the helmets every week. And the paint still has real gold in it.
Thank You.
Just seems to me that in the late 80's early 90's those helmets were gauged to shit, now they just look like regular gold hemlets.
was the gold laid on thicker back then or did they find a way to make it harder?
Killian

Post by Killian »

I think a lot of it has to do with the new helmets not showing wear and tear like the old ones did. Now, you will see a paint mark and that's about it.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

SoCalTrjn wrote:And speaking of Penn State.... when the fuck did Kernkraft 400 become "traditional"? you mean to tell me that since forever they have hyped up fans at Beaver Stadium by blaring early 90's German Techno music in to the seats? That must be one of those ancient traditions that have been around since leather helmets, kind of like House of Pain at Wisconsin games
Perhaps you missed PSU's post above, eh? You know, that one about the fan involvement at the Beav being a relatively new phenomenon and all.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Killian wrote:
Killian wrote: He was one game above .500.
He had ND playing about .500 in every facit in which he coached. I don't have the numbers, but I bet he was below .500 against Big-10 opponets.
its a good thing MSU melted because Football-God-Weis would have been dangerously close to .500 in the b10. :lol: as it stands he is 5-3.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Killian wrote:
Killian wrote: He was one game above .500.
4-9, to be exact. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... ?year=1995 0-5 vs. Michigan State was particularly brutal.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.