Bomar aftermath

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Bomar aftermath

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

I wanted to get your thoughts on the effects this will have on the college football season. Personally I now think that Bomar has not only affected OU's national title chances, now a 0% chance in my opinion, but has affected the North division of the Big XII. Bomar just made Missouri a player in the north in my opinion. I think most were chalking up a loss for Mizzou but now that game looks very winnable for the Tigers I see that game as a very winnable game without Bomar behind center for the Sooners.

I see Mizzou beating K-State, KU, CU, and now OU at home. I think 5-3 in the Big 12 is very attainable for the Tigers with 17 returning starters and an offense with serious weapons at WR and an experienced offensive line. Mizzou will still have to play NU at NU and beat ISU but the room for error for NU and ISU just got smaller in my opinion. But they still have that Pinkell (sp) as head coach, that might cost them.

Amazing how the Big 12 landscape just shifted with one kid's poor judgment.
Last edited by Frank Beamer's growth on Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

not only is it Botard's fault (catchy phraise BtH think i'll use it from time to tim) but it's also Big Red sports and imports fault as well...

will anything happen to that place? doubtful. i'd like to go put my foot in the ass of the guy that runs that fuckign place.

still feels like a nightmare i just woke up from..but i'm really still sleeping in.

we went from contenders to "gosh i'd be happy if we won 9 games this year"
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Well I personally hope OU pulls it together and wins the south.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

I'll second that notion. I admire Stoops and the team for moving beyond this bull shit. Stoops didn't waste any time and I love seeing guys with big egos get what they deserve. Still, I will find myself rooting for OU all year because they did what was right.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Big Red doesn't really have anything to do with it. Place was bought out by Hudiberg, and the new owners found out what was going on, fired Brad McRae (the GM) and alerted the university.

McRae is over at Fowler Dodge. Go fuck with them.

Texas fans, make sure that's where you send your thank you cards.
ahhh thanks for clearing that up...

man...this is really leaving me in a pissed off mood sporatically...

sitting at lunch today me and the OL were talking about baby stuff....took another bite of food than made a pissed off face and shook my head....she was like "what's the matter?"

fucking Botard.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Sky wrote:I'll second that notion. I admire Stoops and the team for moving beyond this bull shit. Stoops didn't waste any time and I love seeing guys with big egos get what they deserve. Still, I will find myself rooting for OU all year because they did what was right.
I am having a hard time with this. Stoops and the university did what they had to do because if they didn't the NCAA would have crawled up their asses with a microscope. They knew that if they didn't get rid of Bomar and Quinn, there were larger ramifications.

If you think for a minute that if there was no fear of the NCAA getting involved that Bomar would be headed bacck to Grand Prairie, you are high.

Most coaches would have done this. I believe that Stoops runs a clean program. I believe he was truly pissed when he found out what was going on. But football coaches are paid to win. With that pressure comes higher expectations. Stoops has won a MNC and numerous conference championships. He knows how to win. Bomar was a total head case and thought he was above the law. i.e see the 2 MIP's he got 3 months apart. He was a head case during his whole recruiting process. I think OU will be better off without him in the long term. It will hurt this year as they were expected to win it all according to some hacks. But they will bre just fine. I didn't see anyone crying for OSU when they lost Clarett and I know no one cried when Texas lost Taylor.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Harv, you've got your orange blinders on.

In most cases like this, the NCAA has allowed the player to pay the business back and be suspended for a few games.

Nobody cried for Texas over the Ramonce Taylor stuff because it wasn't handled like this. Ramonce was allowed back on the team. He decided himself (though probably with some urging) to transfer.
Incorrect. Ramonce was never back on the team. He was suspended from the team in March because he wasn't going to class. He did not participate on spring practice. He was taking classes in Belton. After the weed bust he was told that he wasn't welcome in Austin. He is a good player but they didn't need the distractions.

My glasses are off. OU did the right thing. But I truly believe they only suspended Bomar because if they didn't it would have been a lot worse.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Ah. My fault. I was under the impression that Taylor was reinstated to the team, and much of my derision was based on that.

Of course, there's a difference between dismissing a guy who's part of a backfield by committee and dismissing a guy who's your starting QB and a contender for all-conference...
Should that matter? Ramonce was an all around threat for us. He was a great kick returner as well as RB, WR, and he also could throw the ball. Bottom line was he was a head case and a total thug. Mack did the right thing. Will it hurt us. Yes. If Vince had done what Bomar did he should have been shwon the door as well.

This shows how selfish Bomar was. He only cared about himself and not about his school of choice, coaches or teammates.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Big Red doesn't really have anything to do with it. Place was bought out by Hudiberg, and the new owners found out what was going on, fired Brad McRae (the GM) and alerted the university.

McRae is over at Fowler Dodge. Go fuck with them.

Texas fans, make sure that's where you send your thank you cards.
Actually all this does is put us on even ground heading into Dallas. We are going to be led by a guy who at this point hasn't taken a college snap and you will be led by a guy who either sucked or hasn't taken a D1-A snap.

The game will still be pretty competitive. Frankly I'm more worried about your running game now that you will likely start a mobile QB.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Harv, while you made some good points I guess I feel like Stoops didn't pussy foot around like most coaches would do. On the surface, it doesn't appear that he entertained thoughts of tyring to cover this up and he didn't try to let Bomar serve a suspension and re-join the team.

I imagine he probably told this kid he had already used up his leeway with the underage stuff....and that if anything happened again he was gone. Well surprise, something did happen and he dropped the kid quick (even though it kills his chances at a NC and makes the rest of the season a bear). That is why I admire him. Hell, even Tressel left the doors open for Maurice (had he cleaned up his act).
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Whatever happened to Tommy Grady? That kid was a killer at Edison High School, just up the street from here.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

...and after a while, he just said "fuck it," and started playing basketball at the Huff and stuff like that too...

...which is a HUGE no-no during the season, obviously...

...and he's not that good either, just tall. Says a lot about his playing "career," in my opinion. I mean, I understand the need for competition, but Grady was just kinda... you know... there.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Sky wrote:Harv, while you made some good points I guess I feel like Stoops didn't pussy foot around like most coaches would do. On the surface, it doesn't appear that he entertained thoughts of tyring to cover this up and he didn't try to let Bomar serve a suspension and re-join the team.

I imagine he probably told this kid he had already used up his leeway with the underage stuff....and that if anything happened again he was gone. Well surprise, something did happen and he dropped the kid quick (even though it kills his chances at a NC and makes the rest of the season a bear). That is why I admire him. Hell, even Tressel left the doors open for Maurice (had he cleaned up his act).
I have not heard one way or the other how long it took Stoops to make this decision. IOW when he heard of the problem and when the University made the decision are probably two seperate things. I'm pretty sure he looked for a different way out of this situation before he dropped the ax. I'm also pretty sure he didn't find out til after spring practice cause he would have let Thompson have a few snaps at QB.

My guess is two things played a big part in Bomar not being able to pay back the money. The change of ownership at the dealership and Bomar declairing the earnings on his taxes. Those two things probably finalized the matter for Bomar and forced Stoops hand.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

From a Texas board...

"Adrian Petersen went through the drive thru at Krispy Kreme and ordered a dozen donuts. When he got his order he saw they had shorted him a few and said "Hey we got a problem. There's eight in the box". The donut girl replied, "Get used to it."
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

War Stoops wrote:From a Texas board...

"Adrian Petersen went through the drive thru at Krispy Kreme and ordered a dozen donuts. When he got his order he saw they had shorted him a few and said "Hey we got a problem. There's eight in the box". The donut girl replied, "Get used to it."
That's funny. :lol:
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

The problem with that is, once he busts through those 8, nobody that COULD catch him will be able to tackle him one on one...

...but that's why they play the games.

the_ouskull
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Snake
Elwood

Post by Snake »

I swear that I've heard on this board that Bumar was a dick and most of the team thought the same. That being the truth(?) I see why Stoops flushed this turd down the drain.

I honestly think the Sooners are going to be fine. P.Thompson gets some snaps (and hands off to AD) lobs a few long to keep'em honest, the defense plays up to the hype=10-2, 11-2 after the B12 championship game..........

Go Bucks......................
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

What I really don't get is whether or not this loss will be that big. I mean QB was still kind of a question mark for OU. It is always hard to lose a starter of any kind, but its not like Bomar was tearing it up throught the air last year. Could be a blessing in disguise.