Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

...Harrison in his day..Reed presently
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

We'll see how Harrison recovers from his injury, but no safety in league makes the opposing receivers shit their pants more than Harrison.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Hapday wrote:We'll see how Harrison recovers from his injury, but no safety in league makes the opposing receivers shit their pants more than Harrison.

A few years ago maybe (dawkins has the same rep btw). Reed has been filling that role for the past few though.
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

In about 2 or 3 years we'll be including Michael Huff in this discussion.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Hapday wrote:We'll see how Harrison recovers from his injury, but no safety in league makes the opposing receivers shit their pants more than Harrison.
God damn, I hate homers. Effing hate 'em. Seems the Patsie homers are the worst to boot.

I understand Polamalu is top 5, even top 3, but I'm not such a homeristic pussy that I'd call him the best when there's the likes of Ed Reed hanging out there. Get an effing clue, hap.
A.C. Crut
Elwood

Post by A.C. Crut »

Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Roy Williams...all great free and strong safeties.

In his prime this guy caused many cases of alligator arms and can still bring it (pro bowl last year), here he is kickin' it old skool creamsicle style.

Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Ken wrote:
God damn, I hate homers. Effing hate 'em. Seems the Patsie homers are the worst to boot.

I understand Polamalu is top 5, even top 3, but I'm not such a homeristic pussy that I'd call him the best when there's the likes of Ed Reed hanging out there. Get an effing clue, hap.
If you don't want to include Harrison in because of his age that's one thing, but this isn't a "homer" pick.

Harrison is the NFL's all-time leader in sacks by a defensive back, is the only player in NFL history to record at least 25 sacks and at least 30 interceptions in his career, and for the past decade has recorded more tackles than any other defensive back in the NFL. He has six interceptions in his last six playoff games. He had four in the 2004 playoffs which is the third most since the 1970 merger.

I have an effing clue, but obviously you don't.
RockyMountainWayz
Elwood

Post by RockyMountainWayz »

NOW!

THEN (Before he was a Raiduh)
RockyMountainWayz
Elwood

REED!

LOTT!
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

RockyMountainWayz wrote:REED!

LOTT!
Lott had a fantastic year for the Raiders his first year. Remember he was past his prime but still mamanged to have a solid year.

BTW nice job with those images.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
RockyMountainWayz
Elwood

Lott DESTROYED guys that would come up the middle!

Reed providing he stays healthy (tough for a hard hitting safety) will be the man.

I hope these images post!!! I am still learning...Damn newbie!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hapday wrote:If you don't want to include Harrison in because of his age that's one thing, but this isn't a "homer" pick.

Harrison is the NFL's all-time leader in sacks by a defensive back, is the only player in NFL history to record at least 25 sacks and at least 30 interceptions in his career, and for the past decade has recorded more tackles than any other defensive back in the NFL. He has six interceptions in his last six playoff games. He had four in the 2004 playoffs which is the third most since the 1970 merger.

Oh, I'm sorry... I musta misread the thread title.

Dontcha have to have a basic understanding of the thread first? You're clearly a fucking idiot that can't be reasoned with. On that count, I'll concede that it wasn't a homer pick. :meds:
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Ed Reed

Dawkins
Polamalu
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Cicero wrote:Ed Reed

Dawkins
Polamalu
Yep

(only because Dawkins is aging)
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Ken wrote:
Hapday wrote:If you don't want to include Harrison in because of his age that's one thing, but this isn't a "homer" pick.

Oh, I'm sorry... I musta misread the thread title.

Dontcha have to have a basic understanding of the thread first? You're clearly a fucking idiot that can't be reasoned with. On that count, I'll concede that it wasn't a homer pick. :meds:
Huh? I just stated the facts as to why I thought he was better than Reed, you come back "well he's not". Want to borrow my "clue" you seem to need it more than I do.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

I heard that the Pack are thinking about turning A.J. Hawk into a S.Safety...

I could be wrong tho.

m2
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

m2 wrote:I heard that the Pack are thinking about turning A.J. Hawk into a S.Safety...

That pic is heeee-larious.

BTW, Ed Reed in '04 = best safety the NFL has ever had, in any era, ever.

As for all-timers, here's a stud (just ask Chief/Nigerian Nightmare fan):

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

m2 wrote:I heard that the Pack are thinking about turning A.J. Hawk into a S.Safety...

I could be wrong tho.

m2

Oh snap! :lol:

My pick: Troy Polamalu
Ken

Post by Ken »

My only reservation w/Polamalu is that he still gets caught out of position a bit too much. His rookie year, it was a larger problem, but he has improved, and most likely will continue to do so seeing as how he is a very smart player. Right now, I'd go with Reed, but wouldn't be surprised if my answer would be Polamalu next year. But seeing as how those of us with a freaking clue (sup Hap) are talking about CURRENT safeties, I've gotta go with Reed.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Ken wrote:My only reservation w/Polamalu is that he still gets caught out of position a bit too much. His rookie year, it was a larger problem, but he has improved, and most likely will continue to do so seeing as how he is a very smart player. Right now, I'd go with Reed, but wouldn't be surprised if my answer would be Polamalu next year. But seeing as how those of us with a freaking clue (sup Hap) are talking about CURRENT safeties, I've gotta go with Reed.

^ Good analysis. Troy has all the ability in the world to be the best in the game but he either takes plays off or gets burned on key plays which knocks him down a notch or 2. But he is easily top 3-5.
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

So are you saying Harrison is the:

a) NFL's best safety of all time?
b) NFL's best safety right now?

I'll hang up and listen.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

Polamalu is amazing. Problem is, Ed Reed is even more amazing.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Red wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
Harrison's ACL could outrun Polamalu and Reed itself. Dontcha know?
Ken

Post by Ken »

jiminphilly wrote:
Ken wrote:My only reservation w/Polamalu is that he still gets caught out of position a bit too much. His rookie year, it was a larger problem, but he has improved, and most likely will continue to do so seeing as how he is a very smart player. Right now, I'd go with Reed, but wouldn't be surprised if my answer would be Polamalu next year. But seeing as how those of us with a freaking clue (sup Hap) are talking about CURRENT safeties, I've gotta go with Reed.

^ Good analysis. Troy has all the ability in the world to be the best in the game but he either takes plays off or gets burned on key plays which knocks him down a notch or 2. But he is easily top 3-5.
Not sure about the 'take plays off' part. Dude never stops... not sure where you ever heard that. But whatever. I think we agree on basis.
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

All y'all crazy. Sean Taylor and Adam Archuleta, ranked #'s 1a and 1b in the NFL at safety.

myopiacet
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Despite his reputation as a dirty player. Yes Jack Tatum was a very good safety.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Red wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
If Harrison is able to play at the same level after his injury, I say Harrison right now. If he loses a step, all bets are off. Ken still hasn't proven anything, and I have a clue looking for a new owner.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Atwater and Lott were probably two of the hardest hitters, no doubt.....

that is fucking stone cold.........

RACK it :lol: :lol:
get out, get out while there's still time
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

I've been a fan of Reed's since Miami.

Comparing Harrison to Reed is like comparing Shaq to Michael Jordan. Harrison is more intimidating, but he can't singlehandedly take over an entire football game like Reed. Reed has blocked several punts and returned them for TDs, so he's also a force on special teams, not just on D. I can't remember one punt he's blocked where he DIDN'T get the touchdown, and he's done this maybe 3 or 4 times in the NFL. Now teams just hold him.

What convinced me Reed might be the best ever were the 2 games vs. the Browns and the Jets. Against the Browns, his interception was the longest in NFL history (106 yards?) and it won the game in the closing the seconds. The very next week vs. the Jets, he breaks his own record, except Will Demps made some boneheaded block in the back that took it away. Seriously, that's just sick. The Jets were about to go up 24-0 if they score, but Reed's INT helped make it 17-7 and the Ravens came from behind to win because of it. He also stripped Mark Brunell in mid-throw, scooped it and scored to narrow the score to 14-7 vs. the Skins and they end up winning that game too. Against Seattle the Ravens trailed 17 in the 4th but Reed blocked the first punt and scored to start a 4th quarter rally to win. He's the GOAT.

Ken

Post by Ken »

What's the definition of a homer?

When asked who's the best safety in the NFL, one who suggests a player from their home team who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in a year rather than the other 31 who have, let alone pro bowlers.

Fucking shit-sucking homer is what you are, hap. Anyone in their right mind would admit to it. Take your 'take' over to the Pat's NFL team board where I'm sure it will be much more welcomed. At this residence, shit-takes like yours, sink like a ghetto dick into your mother's fungus hole.

Fucking homer.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

WhatsMyName wrote:I've been a fan of Reed's since Miami.

Comparing Harrison to Reed is like comparing Shaq to Michael Jordan. Harrison is more intimidating, but he can't singlehandedly take over an entire football game like Reed. Reed has blocked several punts and returned them for TDs, so he's also a force on special teams, not just on D. I can't remember one punt he's blocked where he DIDN'T get the touchdown, and he's done this maybe 3 or 4 times in the NFL. Now teams just hold him.

What convinced me Reed might be the best ever were the 2 games vs. the Browns and the Jets. Against the Browns, his interception was the longest in NFL history (106 yards?) and it won the game in the closing the seconds. The very next week vs. the Jets, he breaks his own record, except Will Demps made some boneheaded block in the back that took it away. Seriously, that's just sick. The Jets were about to go up 24-0 if they score, but Reed's INT helped make it 17-7 and the Ravens came from behind to win because of it. He also stripped Mark Brunell in mid-throw, scooped it and scored to narrow the score to 14-7 vs. the Skins and they end up winning that game too. Against Seattle the Ravens trailed 17 in the 4th but Reed blocked the first punt and scored to start a 4th quarter rally to win. He's the GOAT.
Great points in defense of Reed. See Ken, that is what you would call a counter point. You have demonstrated you have no fucking clue what you you are talking about. Please, post again and write "homer" just once more, it really helps your case. :meds:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Because you fail to see your idiocy, you are even more of an idiot than I previously thought.

... which is saying quite a lot.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Solid topic, ghost… er, “WhatsMy_kName”… :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

No dispute: Ed Reed is simply the best. But Troy Palumalu is the position’s heir apparent. Not unlike Antonio Gates is to T-Gon in the tight end department.

As for Honorable Mention for the best NFL safety ever… Loved the homer-pick, ‘cause it’s hard to argue with Steve Atwater – but I will. Gotta admit, the “Cat” is one of my all-time “favorite” HeeHaws, just behind the venerable old warhorse, Karl Mecklenburg.

I remember watching the Cat play at Arkansas – dude killed everybody. I would’ve loved to have seen my Chiefs draft him, but they decided on an outside linebacker from Alabama that year who wound up being fairly decent in his own right.

Don’t get me wrong: The Cat had a nice 11-year career. Eight pro-bowls. 818 tackles. 24 interceptions. Nine fumble recoveries. Not to mention two Superbowl appearances. And of course, his infamous MNF hit on the Big Mon.

That said, however…

Derron Cherry was better.

DC signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted, free-agent punter back in 1981. All he managed to do over his 11-year career was to earn six pro-bowl berths, while compiling 927 tackles, 50 interceptions, and 15 fumble recoveries. All this accomplished on a team that made exactly two lousy playoff appearances during his career.

Oh, and as for memorable “hits”: Just ask RaiduhFan about the lick that a hobbled DC put on Bo Jackson at the goal line to force a fumble and preserve a Chiefs victory at Arrowhead back in ’90….

War #20
G.O.
Elwood

Post by G.O. »

velocet wrote:All y'all crazy. Sean Taylor and Adam Archuleta, ranked #'s 1a and 1b in the NFL at safety.

myopiacet
taylor is a bad, bad man. check out the vids...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=67040727
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Ken wrote:Because you fail to see your idiocy, you are even more of an idiot than I previously thought.

... which is saying quite a lot.
Still looking for that clue Ken? Damn Fedex!