I'm using FOUR different spyware detectors

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Fat Bones
In propria persona

I'm using FOUR different spyware detectors

Post by Fat Bones »

and each one detects something different.
Ad Aware detected a few...I re-ran it after the other spyware removals...nothing found.---------GOOD.
Spybot Search and Destroy detects and removes some, but not all...Altnet and of course, DSO Exploit.
Spy Subtract found lots more the aforementioned have NEVER seen...they created CWShredder (apparently)...but it got it's ass kicked by Altnet from hell.
Now I'm scanning with ScanSpyware and it's picking up all kinds of even more and different caca...43 items to be exact...and get this...CWS!!! But the trial ONLY detects...you have to purchase it to remove....great.

Remember when Ferris' friend loses it? That's me, today.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhh!!!

Thanks to the suggestions presented in the open source thread, I discovered, (and removed?) a worm/sddrop,, backdoor Xeol.A Trojan, Dropper Delf.3.BC Trojan, Downloader.small.12.BV Trojan...

I feel so dirty.... :oops:

:evil: This shit really pisses me off.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

I don't know what you people do to attact so much spyware. Other than a few cookies that really aren't harmful I haven't had a single instance of spyware in years. Practice safer surfing habits and you won't have this problem.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

I can appreciate your thoughts on this...but I never take my computer out when I'm "slumming". :wink:

No seriously, I share this computer with nine & sixteen year old gamers, a thirteen year old teeny bopper, (who I believe loaded kazaa lite...sigh), and a solitare playing fool that downloaded the CWS bundled with the solitare games.

Education, immunization, duck & cover...
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Try spynuker. Wont fix shit unless you pay, but will find things the other 4 you are running, have not. After that, go to Microsoft.com and download their free beta version, which is EVEN BETTER, than spynuker. I have been fighting, following and tracking this shit for 4 months, and its the best I have found.

dit, your thoughts?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I use AdAware and PestPatrol.

PestPatrol will ID spyware and tell you exactly how to remove it, sometimes in many steps. If you pay for it, it will do the removal itself. It works very well but AdAware still catches a few things that PestPatrol doesn't. PestPatrol will also actively scan your memory and check any cookies as they come in, and I have mine set to update its definitions daily.

(PestPatrol was recently bought by Computer Associates)

Another good application is The Ultimate Troubleshooter. When you run it, it will check all running tasks, services and startups, and tell you exactly what they do and whether they are "OK" or not. Very useful.
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

Fat Bones wrote:I can appreciate your thoughts on this...but I never take my computer out when I'm "slumming". :wink:

No seriously, I share this computer with nine & sixteen year old gamers, a thirteen year old teeny bopper, (who I believe loaded kazaa lite...sigh), and a solitare playing fool that downloaded the CWS bundled with the solitare games.

Education, immunization, duck & cover...
Do yourself a favor and set the kiddos up with Limited Accounts... and one for your daily activities, too. It takes less than five minutes to set everything up and lock down the admin account with a password.

If they need a program installed, they need you to log on and do it rather than OK-ing every random thing that pops up. You may need to go in afterwards and share a few folders that some programs need access to in order to run properly, but you'll cut down on your headaches immensely.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Since I started using Firefox, that stuff isn't nearly such an issue.

Don't know if they still have it, but Ewido had a free two-week trial, and it picked up a bunch of stuff the others didn't.

If you haven't upgraded to AdawareSE, I would highly suggest it. Does stuff the older versions don't.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

kcdave, thanks. I have been waiting to see how well the beta rolls out to see if I want it, spynuker doesn't enjoy a very good reputation...
Description A "spyware removal program" by TrekBlue, which is being heavily advertised through junk e-mail from its affiliates and misleading fake-dialogue-box web advertising. This is the same company as E-mail marketers ‘TrekData’ and ‘Blue Haven Media’, who distribute spyware through ActiveX drive-by-download on web pages

Mikey,

I tried PestPatrol last year, you're right, it identified an extensive list of offenders, but my cheap ass was sorely chapped when it wouldn't perform the cleaning with the trial version...I may reload, and manually do the work. Thanks for the reminder...

The Ultimate Troubleshooter looks like a winner, I'll try that one.

Ewido will be the next download, thanks Dinsdale. I agree, Firefox rocks, however the rest of the folks using the computer don't care for it as much.

Red, will do.

Muchos gracias to all.