Shitty officiating

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Was the officiating ACCEPTABLE in Super Bowl XL?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 33

Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Just when you thought it could not get any worse.

I sure am glad I did not care about this one because that was fucking pathetic.

I think The Steelers got some help but Seattle got some too on that dropped ball by Stevens I think (I can't remember but he dropped so many it must have beenn him) which looked like a fumble (real time) from 50 feet in the air. I mea come on, the dude's shoulders did a complete about face and he took a step. This is the best crew they could come up with?
Last edited by Dumbass on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Striving to be a victim of Polly's plagiarizing ways.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

There were two bad calls in the first half (Jackson's bogus pass interference and Roethlisberger's phantom TD) but the Seahawks shit the bed in the second half without the officials help.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Um the second half could have very easily been 17-14 Seattle before PIT got the bullshit flag preventing first and goal and the eventual defensive hold by PIT.

Holding? Are you fucking kidding me? This is The NFL and the Super Bowl isn't it? If that was a hold, I should have seen about 35 holding calls throughout this game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bitching about holding calls is pointless...those calls are missed in every game. The chop block on Hasselbeck didn't make any sense but it wasn't like the 10 or 15 yards was going to matter with that play from Randle El to Ward. The two calls in the first half took points off the board for Seattle and gave points to Pittsburgh. I'll agree that Seattle should've been ahead or at least tied at halftime. The Seahawks made their several mistakes throughout the game: two missed FGs, a few dropped passes by Stevens, Alexander not breaking a big run and how they botched the final drive with their poor clock management. Call out the refs if you want but they didn't cause the Seahawks to do all that.
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

For once I agree with you and your fucked up avatar! Worst officiating I've seen all year!
Keeping the bath water warm.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Shoalzie wrote:Bitching about holding calls is pointless...those calls are missed in every game. The chop block on Hasselbeck didn't make any sense but it wasn't like the 10 or 15 yards was going to matter with that play from Randle El to Ward. The two calls in the first half took points off the board for Seattle and gave points to Pittsburgh. I'll agree that Seattle should've been ahead or at least tied at halftime. The Seahawks made their several mistakes throughout the game: two missed FGs, a few dropped passes by Stevens, Alexander not breaking a big run and how they botched the final drive with their poor clock management. Call out the refs if you want but they didn't cause the Seahawks to do all that.
It is pointless because you want to forget about it. Bullshit dude. It was a hold that took away first and goal and the possibility of Seattle's control of the lead in th 2nd half. Fuck the first half now, who gives a shit?
Um yea 10-15 yards would matter because they do not run those plays deep in their own end.

Bwahahaha. Didn't matter. You want to just focus on what Seattle did wrong. Dude that is horseshit. PIT made mistakes too and if the refs aren't stepping on it, Seattle would have had THE SAME CHANCE to recover from their mistakes but critical calls were mounting against them.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Complain about this until you're blue in the face, it's out of our control. I'm not getting as bent out of shape on this because it's just a game. Sure, the Seahawks got screwed a few times but to keep going on about it isn't going to change anything. Write an angry letter to the commish...barking at me isn't going to do anything.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Add a few options to the poll, like "it was below average" and I'll vote.

Very few games are officiated perfectly. Granted, they're playing on the biggest stage and there were questionable calls.

It's like Shoalz said in the other thread -- the Steelers won this game in the second half -- and they did.

If Seattle had a halfback/wide receiver pass, and a long run like Pittsburgh did for touchdowns, they win the game. EOS.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I had no rooting interest in this game whatsoever...but if I was Seattlefan I would be pissed. What the fuck is going on. College and pro football have been ruined by piss-poor officiating. This year has got to be the worst on record.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dumbass wrote:Um the second half could have very easily been 17-14 Seattle before PIT got the bullshit flag preventing first and goal and the eventual defensive hold by PIT.

Holding? Are you fucking kidding me? This is The NFL and the Super Bowl isn't it? If that was a hold, I should have seen about 35 holding calls throughout this game.
Holding? Hell yea that was holding. I'll admit the low block on Hasselback was bad, but they also missed a block in the back on Wistrom on Herndon's INT return.

In the end, this is all that matters.

Fuck the haters.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

I rarely bitch about the officials but this game was just a culmination of a horrific year of officiating in the NFL. Bri, I doubt anyone in this thread is a "hater" of your beloved Steelers, more so that the outcome of the game was possibly tainted by some very suspect calls. The two biggest being the interference call in the endzone erasing 6 points off the board, and the holding call that brought back Stevens reception on the 1 yard line. HUGE momentum change on both. Bode Steelers I guess, and thanks to the Zebras for robbing us of a possibly exciting finish or outcome...
Go Bucs, Gators
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Bucmonkey wrote:I rarely bitch about the officials but this game was just a culmination of a horrific year of officiating in the NFL. Bri, I doubt anyone in this thread is a "hater" of your beloved Steelers, more so that the outcome of the game was possibly tainted by some very suspect calls. The two biggest being the interference call in the endzone erasing 6 points off the board, and the holding call that brought back Stevens reception on the 1 yard line. HUGE momentum change on both. Bode Steelers I guess, and thanks to the Zebras for robbing us of a possibly exciting finish or outcome...
Those two calls were on the money.

1. The Jackson call was clear as day. Hands out and elbow extended as you push away from the defender equals offensive interference. You shouldn't be complaining about this call, you should be wondering why it wasn't called on Michael Irvin every play.

2. And the holding call was just as obvious. You can't hook the defender with your arm or you will be called for holding.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

I've gotta disagree with you on the interference Bri, it was more of a hand check then a push off. It certainly didnt help the receiver gain an advantage on that play as the ball was thrown well outside where the defender had absolutely no shot to make a play, and the defenders momentum was going the opposite direction (and no, not from the alleged push) The defenders bitchin about the alleged push certainly helped coerce the flag being pulled also.

The replays I saw of the supposed hold didnt show anything, even Madden made a comment about that. You sure your not remembering the obvious horse collar hold a few series before ?

I'm sure we'll see many of these plays replayed and disected ad-nausem and I will certainly come correct if I get to see them a few more times and see someting different from what I remember but for now this is just an opinion of an unbiased fan is all.
Go Bucs, Gators
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Bucmonkey wrote:I've gotta disagree with you on the interference Bri, it was more of a hand check then a push off. It certainly didnt help the receiver gain an advantage on that play as the ball was thrown well outside where the defender had absolutely no shot to make a play, and the defenders momentum was going the opposite direction (and no, not from the alleged push) The defenders bitchin about the alleged push certainly helped coerce the flag being pulled also.

The replays I saw of the supposed hold didnt show anything, even Madden made a comment about that. You sure your not remembering the obvious horse collar hold a few series before ?
Let's get this straight. Madden is a deranged evil muppet, not a football announcer. He may sound like a football announcer at times. But what you are hearing is more like football tourettes, where any assinine comment is liable to fly out of his piehole.
I'm sure we'll see many of these plays replayed and disected ad-nausem and I will certainly come correct if I get to see them a few more times and see someting different from what I remember but for now this is just an opinion of an unbiased fan is all.
If you get NFL Network, watch this Wednesday's NFL total access. They do a good job with Mike Peirrara(sp) breaking down plays.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

BSmack wrote:In the end, this is all that matters.

sin,

The National Football League

frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

Worst Super in History! Hands down! It was worse than this one!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

BSmack wrote:Let's get this straight. Madden is a deranged evil muppet
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MSUFAN
Spineless Pussy

Post by MSUFAN »

y'all took the seabirds + the points, huh.

Dummies, man. :lol:
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Shoalzie wrote:Complain about this until you're blue in the face, it's out of our control. I'm not getting as bent out of shape on this because it's just a game. Sure, the Seahawks got screwed a few times but to keep going on about it isn't going to change anything. Write an angry letter to the commish...barking at me isn't going to do anything.
We're just here to discuss the game. That's what we're here for right? :meds:

It's all good, Holmes.
I would say only about 10-15% of the time does my swearing reflect true anger at something or anyone.

Wags? :lol:

8)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:Those two calls were on the money.

1. The Jackson call was clear as day. Hands out and elbow extended as you push away from the defender equals offensive interference.
Wrong.
Rule 8, Article 2, Section 5:

It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the offensive line significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player or such player's opportunity to catch the ball during a forward pass. When players are competing for position to make a play on the ball, any contact between hands, arms or body shall be considered incidental unless prohibited. Prohibited contact shall be when a player physically restricts or impedes an opponent in a manner that is visually evident and materially affects the opponent's opportunity to gain position or retain his position to catch the ball.
Jackson's extension had no affect on the defender. He had already beaten him and the defender was in no position to make a play on the ball.
How's life in fantasyland? Jackson pushed off and then broke back in the opposite direction to the ball. He used his hands on the defender's body to gain an advantage. End of fucking story.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:He didn't "push" shit, dumbfuck. He had to come back to actually even make contact with the defender.
So why did he put his hands on the defender if it wasn't to gain an advantage? Was he looking for a little companionship?

Christ you're a fucking moron.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

That was a terrible call. That type of contact takes place all the time. The penalty that takes away a TOUCHDOWN CATCH has to be pretty damn egregious for it to make sense and it really wasn't.

Could you be a little faggot and call the penalty. Sure. His hands were technically on the DB. But anyone who watches enough football and actually has a nutsack knows that was horseshit. It was as if every time the Seahawks made a play, some penalty had to be called at that precise moment.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:That was a terrible call. That type of contact takes place all the time. The penalty took take away a TOUCHDOWN CATCH has to be pretty damn egregious for it to make sense and it really wasn't.

Could you be a little faggot and call the penalty. Sure. His hands were technically on the DB. But anyone who watches enough football and actually has a nutsack knows that was horseshit. It was as if every time the Seahawks made a play, some penalty had to be called at that precise moment.
I missed the part of the rule book that said if a penalty happens in the end zone it can't be called. Care to cite it?

Thank you for kicking your own ass.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

Please, you yourself have cheered touchdowns numerous times that were earned as legitimately as Jackson's was in Super Bowl XL. Spare me the bullshit. You yourself were scared shitless when he caught that pass because it looked just like any touchdown you'd ever seen.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:Could you call the penalty? Sure.
You are done. Stop flopping around. It is just embarassing.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm not sure what game you guys were even watching --

The two calls everyone seems to be focusing on could be used in a freaking textbook to show flagrant examples of offensive interference and offensive holding.

DB was step for step with the reciever, saw the ball, cut underneath the route, and suddenly was stopped dead in his tracks at the exact same time as a hand was planted in the middle of his chest...in front of the zebra, no less. If any of you stupid fucks thinks that same call isn't made 100 times out of 100 in any NFL game on any given Sunday, then...props on watching your first NFL game.

And it's funny how much easier it is to complete a long pass when a defensive lineman gets beaten and beaten badly, then in turn grabs the guy who beat him from behind, wraps his arm around his neck, and makes his feet banana-peel out from under him as he's closing on the QB. Also a call that would have been made well over 90 times out of 100 on any given Sunday.

Have any of you actually seen an NFL game before?

Don't want your big gains brought back by a hanky? Then don't commit stupid, FLAGRANT offenses directly in front of the hanky crew, and force them to make the no-brainer calls.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

BSmack wrote:
WhatsMyName wrote:Could you call the penalty? Sure.
You are done. Stop flopping around. It is just embarassing.
You're missing the point. We could've called similar penalties on Pittsburgh. It never happened. But it did for Seattle.

That's the problem.

WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

Dinsdale wrote:I'm not sure what game you guys were even watching --

The two calls everyone seems to be focusing on could be used in a freaking textbook to show flagrant examples of offensive interference and offensive holding.

DB was step for step with the reciever, saw the ball, cut underneath the route, and suddenly was stopped dead in his tracks at the exact same time as a hand was planted in the middle of his chest...in front of the zebra, no less. If any of you stupid fucks thinks that same call isn't made 100 times out of 100 in any NFL game on any given Sunday, then...props on watching your first NFL game.

And it's funny how much easier it is to complete a long pass when a defensive lineman gets beaten and beaten badly, then in turn grabs the guy who beat him from behind, wraps his arm around his neck, and makes his feet banana-peel out from under him as he's closing on the QB. Also a call that would have been made well over 90 times out of 100 on any given Sunday.

Have any of you actually seen an NFL game before?

Don't want your big gains brought back by a hanky? Then don't commit stupid, FLAGRANT offenses directly in front of the hanky crew, and force them to make the no-brainer calls.
I guess Steve Young and Mike Irvin could learn a thing or two about football from you.

Face it, it has nothing to do with your wonderful football IQ, which I'm sure is so much higher than everyone else on this board who is fanatical about the game and religiously follows the sport like you do. This has to do with how the rules were enforced (which was unfairly) and on some select occassions, simply poor calls (i.e. Hasselback hitting a dude's knees).

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:You're missing the point. We could've called similar penalties on Pittsburgh. It never happened. But it did for Seattle.

That's the problem.
No, the problem is that you seem to think you are an NFL ref. What the hell is this "we could have called" bullshit? You fucking loser.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

What the hell is it with you and these red herrings? Any time you get your ass backed into a corner, you go to the semantics card.

Listen pal, if you don't want to discuss the calls that 78% of America is pissed off about, fine. But quit wasting my time with this childishness.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

psst. Bri...these guys are owning you. Just enjoy the win!
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WhatsMyName wrote:This has to do with how the rules were enforced (which was unfairly)
So the refs are supposed to not call flagrant fouls, in the interest of "fairness?"

Ohhhhkay.

and on some select occassions, simply poor calls (i.e. Hasselback hitting a dude's knees).
Nope...that's against the rules as well (not to mention the cheapest shot in all of football), and it was done right in front of an official. But that's right -- they're not supposed to call fouls if they affect the outcome of the game...I forgot.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:What the hell is it with you and these red herrings? Any time you get your ass backed into a corner, you go to the semantics card.

Listen pal, if you don't want to discuss the calls that 78% of America is pissed off about, fine. But quit wasting my time with this childishness.
Awwww, poor little baby got a boo boo? You posted those posts, not me. It isn't my fault that your relationship with logic is like Irie's with sobriety.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WhatsMyName wrote: Face it, it has nothing to do with your wonderful football IQ, which I'm sure is so much higher than everyone else on this board who is fanatical about the game and religiously follows the sport like you do.
And this post says it all. About you and your crybaby ilk -- shoot the messenger.

Newsflash -- it wasn't me who tackled a guy from behind when I missed a block or pushed a defender away in front of the zebra while going one-on-one in the end zone.

It was the Seahawks players.

Blame the refs all you want -- they didn't commit those flagrant penalties, though.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

Show me an instance where a quarterback was busted for making a tackle below the knees in a regular season game, much less a Super Bowl. Defensive backs do this almost routinely.

If you don't want to argue this honestly, then don't waste your time with me. I'm obviously at a disadvantage trying to use reason in this debate.

Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

PSUFAN wrote:psst. Bri...these guys are owning you. Just enjoy the win!
yes.

maybe bsmacked is just upset cause his team won in a "less than fair" manner.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Jeff Hartings was called for the same penalty against the Colts earlier in the year. Strange...but it's there, on the books.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WhatsMyName wrote:Show me an instance where a quarterback was busted for making a tackle below the knees in a regular season game, much less a Super Bowl. Defensive backs do this almost routinely.

If you don't want to argue this honestly
Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Priceless.

Did you actually watch the game?

The flag wasn't for tackling below the knees, you complete fucking retard. It was for going into a blocker's knees, which has been outlawed for quite a few years now.

You know, SINCE WE'RE ARGUING THIS HONESTLY, and all.

Oh my goodness. Funny shit.

Let me guess -- Darryl Jackson was incorrectly flagged for aiding terrorists abroad, and not offensive interference, right?

I'm eagerly awaiting the next "fact" that you make up out of thin air in this "honest argument."
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:Show me an instance where a quarterback was busted for making a tackle below the knees in a regular season game, much less a Super Bowl. Defensive backs do this almost routinely.

If you don't want to argue this honestly, then don't waste your time with me. I'm obviously at a disadvantage trying to use reason in this debate.
I agree with you on that call. That and the missed block in the back call on the Seattle INT return were the two calls I saw that were not by the book. In both cases, they happened because young, very fast NFL players outpaced the officals during the course of a change of possesion. That is why I have always wished the NFL would go with younger, full time refs. Or at least have physical standards in place for their refs that would require guys to be able to at least beat a glacier in the 40.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown