Mozilla Suite...

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Mozilla Suite...

Post by GreginPG »

Since I'm using Firefox and Thunderbird I'm thinking about installing the Suite.

Advantages?

Also anything I need to know about the install itself? How much if any setup is needed since I already have these Browser and E-Mail Clients.

TIA.l
FIGHT ON!
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I guess the biggest question is are you planning on using all of the tools or just the two you already have installed?

Most people only use email and the web. They don't browse the news servers on the web and they don't go on irc. I'd say unless you use all the tools, just download what you need.

-ET
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Thanks ET. I think I'll stick with what I have for that moment.

Firefox has been a little "crashy" on my machine though. Would the Suite be any more stable?
FIGHT ON!
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

"crashy"? How so?

What sites does it crash upon and how?
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

You can try the full Mozilla browser. Its a different code base, although works fairly similar to Firefox. Netscape is based off of either Mozilla or Firefox, depending which one you download. Opera has been around for quite a while. Same thinking as firefox but totally different codebase. Also supports lot of the same features as Firefox. You may look into some of the Linux based browsers to see if they have a windows based version but I doubt that most of them do.

Avant Browser - I heard a lot of good stuff about Avant but it is based on IE. It offered some features before IE added popup stoppers and whatnot. Now its just an addon that alters how IE works and looks. Worth a try I guess but I don't trust it that much.

Maxthon - Just found this. Similar idea to Avant but has tabbed browsing. Also based on IE.

There are a few other decent ones out there. I'd shoot for one that isn't based on IE, but whatever works for you is the best one.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Junkman wrote:"crashy"? How so?

What sites does it crash upon and how?
I'll make note of whatever details I can (like the error message, sites, tabs open, etc.) when it happens again and then post it here
FIGHT ON!