Rudy Sucked!!!!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Rudy Sucked!!!!

Post by WolverineSteve »

So the echoes have been re-re-reawakened. Charlie Weis is a god in South Bend (not THE God – A god, as Bill Murray might say), the Notre Dame band is gearing up to play the nation's second- or third-best fight song over and again in Ann Arbor based on what they've seen from the Michigan defense after week one and somewhere, Rudy is smiling confidently …

Associated Press
Maybe too confidently, if you ask us. There hasn't been this much optimism in South Bend after one week since – well, before the last time the Irish didn't lay an egg against BYU after foolishly selling out and moving a potentially dangerous road game before the Michigan contest.

As for Rudy … seems the true "Rudy" story didn't really unfold as advertised in the movie. On TNT's "Dinner and a (B) Movie" presentation a few years back, Ruettiger admitted as much when prodded by his hosts during the film's showing. It went something like this …

Host: "So, the big fella (played by Jon Favreau) who was your tutor and who helped you out – do you guys still talk?"

Rudy: "Well, his character was kind of a compilation of all the people who helped me during my time at Notre Dame."

Host: "Oh. Okay. Well, how about the stadium worker (played by the actor better known as 'Roc') – the one who helped get you your job and let you sleep inside Notre Dame Stadium when you had nowhere else to go?

Rudy: "Well, his character was kind of a compilation of all the people who helped me during my time at Notre Dame."

Host: "Hmm … and that priest who gave you guidance?

Host: "Ara Parseghian?"

Rudy: "HE was real!"

Sounds fishy to us (kind of like ND's 1947 "National Championship" team). For all we know, the Rudy story was about one man's struggle to become the Fighting Irish leprechaun mascot. Still, we're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the benefit of our Irish friends across the country who still weep in their O'Doul's every time they see it on television (usually on some obscure station at 3:30 a.m., just before the Girls Gone Wild commercials hit the airwaves – or so we've heard).

:lol:
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

hated that movie
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Movie was great. Easily on of the best football movies ever made next to "The Longest Yard" and "The Program."
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I didn't mind it. It was a better football experience than anything USC was puting out at the time. :roll:
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Socal....maybe SC can put out a movie that doesn't have something to do with a court docket. How about Darryl russell and Todd Marinovich do a PSA on staying drug free, or Eric Wright on how to be an entrepenuer, or maybe Herschel can do something on how he has 5 brothers named Herschel.....hey one of em did it but not Herschel (I was just helping this drunk girl into bed so I could tuck her in).

Ya see socal, you just be a haytuh.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Laxplayer wrote:Socal....maybe SC can put out a movie that doesn't have something to do with a court docket. How about Darryl russell and Todd Marinovich do a PSA on staying drug free, or Eric Wright on how to be an entrepenuer, or maybe Herschel can do something on how he has 5 brothers named Herschel.....hey one of em did it but not Herschel (I was just helping this drunk girl into bed so I could tuck her in).

Ya see socal, you just be a haytuh.
:lol:

Or a PSA by Sultan McCullough that spelling is important, especially knowing how to spell your mother's name before you get a tat on your chest of it.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Or a PSA by Sultan McCullough that spelling is important, especially knowing how to spell your mother's name before you get a tat on your chest of it.
That's just wrong.....funny but wrong.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

<----Never saw it. Never will. (Yes it's in the house. My cousin sent it to me after they came out for the BYU/ND game. She's an ND grad and thought it would be funny. I didn't see the humor in it.)
FIGHT ON!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Here's my take on that movie:

1. Actually going somewhere for the education is bunk. Hang on to that dream of playing for the football factory, kid, even if it means you have to go to a junior college and wash the football player's jocks. Don't try to make something out of yourself somewhere where you're wanted.
If this is your take, you apparently missed a major portion and point of the movie.

A big part of the movie was the fact that, in high school, not only did Rudy not get recruited to play football for ND, but he wasn't able to get into ND as a student. ND was where he really wanted to go, so he enrolled in Holy Cross JC, across the street from ND, and got his grades up to the point where he was later accepted at ND. So from that standpoint, he did "make something of himself."

And even if your criticism of Rudy as having failed to make something of himself is valid, it applies to what he did (or failed to do) after graduating from ND rather than what he did before that. Apparently, he spent the next 15 years of his life after graduation trying to sell his story to Hollywood, or so I'm told.

As for my take on the movie, despite the ND connection, it's not one of my favorites, although it's certainly not the worst movie I've ever seen, either. There is a message there, but you can get the same message from watching a Rocky marathon, for that matter. I'd prefer a documentary on either the '73, '77 or '88 national championship team (don't know if any exist) to Rudy.

And although I'm not a contemporary of Daniel Ruettiger, I had little doubt that portions of the movie were fictionalized. However, that right-wing Moonie rag Washington Times apparently thinks that Daniel Ruettiger doesn't exist, except in the fertile imagination of a Hollywood scriptwriter.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

His asshole brother, Frank, was also a combination of everyone who told him he couldn't get into ND.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

C'mon! It was a great movie. How can you not feel it when Gene Hackman takes those kids all the way to the Indiana state finals?

Sincerely,

m2

the goof
E UNUM PLURIBUS
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

the only good thing about that movie is themusic from it that was used in this video
http://www.trojanfb.com/usc_ttc_wmv.php
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

If a kid with 4.3 speed and soft hands does that, we make fun of him and decry the state of college football and how kids aren't getting an education. If a scrub does it it's somehow magical?
total and udder rackage
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Believe the Heupel wrote:Here's my take on that movie:

1. Actually going somewhere for the education is bunk. Hang on to that dream of playing for the football factory, kid, even if it means you have to go to a junior college and wash the football player's jocks. Don't try to make something out of yourself somewhere where you're wanted.
If this is your take, you apparently missed a major portion and point of the movie.

A big part of the movie was the fact that, in high school, not only did Rudy not get recruited to play football for ND, but he wasn't able to get into ND as a student. ND was where he really wanted to go, so he enrolled in Holy Cross JC, across the street from ND, and got his grades up to the point where he was later accepted at ND. So from that standpoint, he did "make something of himself."
No, I caught all that. I just don't define "making something of himself" as going to JUCO with the sole intent of being able to enroll at Notre Dame specifically to play football with no regard to receiving an actual education.
Ahh, but that's where you're wrong. He did receive an education at ND (in fact, it's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, his father was a "subway alum" who passed his love of Notre Dame on). I'll agree with you that he didn't exactly use that education once he left.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.